Sign in to follow this  
Blade

The Art of Mixup and Increasing Pressure

FC 2C Blade. Or you could just 5B him.

I try that on many attempts but it gets blocked, even my DP sometimes. I think I'm too slow after an IB.

nah mashing is actually very bad in this version. ib is just like gg. although jumping out still seems to be a concern (still!!!). you gonna have to know your shit if you're not top, even they don't catch too many breaks.

so now that PSN is up i played my first few online sessions since like December. Some guy named DJ something with a Carl kicked my ass like a jillion times in a row in best of 5 matches. Instead of giving advice, i guess i wanna take it now.

...What the fuck do you do against Carl's pressure? It's just cheep as shit, that little 2C mixup is inconsistant and seems to hit behind or in front of you randomly if they do it right, so blocking it is a gamble even IF i see it coming. It seems to also go through Noel AND hakumen's AA moves (wut). To be fair though, Noels' AA sucks ass, but if i ever tried to use 6C instead, i was insured to get hit. Carl seems to have about the same speed as bang or rachel, and his gimmicky little pokes have such nice hitboxes that the only real consistent thing to do against them is block instead of antiair...and then you get put in the Nirvana____Carl loop.

Speaking of his loops...they also seem to be chance based. His mixup is so amazing that you really have to just guess what hes doing in the corner or if you get stuck inbetween his loop. He gets resets like nobody's business. I think it was mostly the broken PS3 remote i was using, but he seemed to even be poking me out of my DPs. But that doesn't have much to do with the matchups, since i was having trouble doing simple Distortions while playing too.

After like 15 matches, i realized that he was basically scaring me into a point where anything he tried had a good chance of working. I rarely got punishes, even off his unsafe moves, due to not knowing his moveset very well. Also, i think my biggest mistake is that i never even thought about IBing until he left the room...but messing up an IB generally ensures ill get put into another loop. The only real effective thing i could find to do was grab the little bastard out the air. He's ALWAYS Jumping in somewhere, and his attacks usually ensure that if you try to hit him out the air, he'll CH/Fatal you first...which is really the most annoying thing about him. But i just dont know how to deal with his pressure.

Maybe its just me? Why do i seem completely hopeless against his blockstrings and gimmicks?

If you're Noel, 2D in BBCS1 jumps over too much of Carl's shit. IB 2D for a 5k midscreen counter-hit combo tends to put you back on the offensive. Dragon Punches beat everything except blocking. So you aren't DPing correctly if he's jabbing you out of it. Watch for Carl's unblockable setups, and IAD backwards when you recognize one (or if you're good, you can jab him out of it and counterhit combo him).

If you're stuck in blockstun, then your character will auto-correct the j.2C crossup. Blazblue is quite forgiving when it comes to crossups... so you probably have enough time to do a j.A and take the combat to the air. Most characters have a faster air-jab than an air-grab. A solid air-to-air game weakens the Carl's j.2C crossup attempt

Carl has amazing pressure if you get sandwiched. Save some meter for counter-assaults. Keep an eye on Nirvana, Carl can't do many combos without the doll, so most of the time... you should have the advantage.

well playing today, i realized i most likely lost because i simply suck now. Practicing in the PSN downtime + all the time i took off the game entirely due to College basically has me mashing out of hitstun and getting reset'd like hell. Not to mention, i'll 5a mash someone out of a combo but wont think to prepare myself for the counter hit combo....which basically does nothing for me in the long run, since 200 damage is useless.

I would like to play him again though in a few days.

so now that PSN is up i played my first few online sessions since like December. Some guy named DJ something with a Carl kicked my ass like a jillion times in a row in best of 5 matches. Instead of giving advice, i guess i wanna take it now.

DJFoodstamp. I always hate fighting his Carl. Honestly, in my opinion, you just have to outplay him... even though that sometimes seem impossible especially against Carl.

I think thats the guy.

So far, Carl is the most annoying matchup, and Arakune is the most hated matchup. I can never find any decent players who use them though, and when they DO, they always seem to destroy me. Thats probably because i cant find any on the inbetween mark...

For Carl matchups, I never let him lead me around, instead, I make him try to pressure me (which usually fails or is an attempt at crossup or lows or airdash j.A/j.C/j.2C)...if he's leading off with Ada, so long as it's not Super Armor, one or two hits should stop her, trying to destroy her takes your attention off Carl, so just one or two hits should get her off you so you can focus on Carl and his crossup shenanigans.

As for Arakune, since I sub him often enough...most people try to use 2A on wakeup which usually results in me 6C'ing right through it (or if they block low right away). I play with their guard with 2A 6A or

just 5D or j.D or warp games. If you're stuck between anti-jumping cloud, 6D bell bug, and 2D bug, you can still backdash you know. Otherwise the cloud is the safest thing to deal with, and even if you do get cursed, the only thing you have to avoid blocking is D Bug(2), the rest you just have to avoid Arakune's overheads/crossups since no bugs are overheads during curse. 6C, 2C, and j.C will take primers though, so be careful...

Also Arakune now has TK instant curse Distortion Drive shenanigans, so don't stay on the ground blocking for too long. j.214214D is unblockable and hits anywhere on the ground now for instant curse.

Edited by Blade

Also Arakune now has TK instant curse Distortion Drive shenanigans, so don't stay on the ground blocking for too long. j.214214D is unblockable and hits anywhere on the ground now for instant curse.
Ah, that's what I thought before too. But that would just be BS, wouldn't it? It's a low. Helps to look at frame data if a move seems really good or really bad, just to see if there's anything else interesting about it.

:v: I should clarify:

CS1 Bees is unblockable, BUT it doesn't have full screen range and you have to be at a certain jump height, so in other words, unless Tager is fishing with Atomic Collider, people I've played seldom see it.

CS2 Bees is a blockable low, but in exchange for that, it hits anywhere on the ground where the opponent is...I suppose that's a decent trade, but I'm not sure how people's reaction speed is to block a TK version of it if Arakune is doing j.D/2D/5D shenanigans at the same time.

TK version is ultra low to the ground, and can pretty much be used in any Jump Cancellable String as a low. Probably even worse to predict during Curse.

Edited by Blade

Question...did they change amount of invincible frames on wakeup rolls now? I get hit with obvious ass moves while trying to buffer a DD on wakeup these days. Am i just inputting wrong, or what?

...Or am I too used to MvC3 or something? I know for a fact i used to be able to wakeup > Wisdom of the Divine or something. Ive been getting hit into resets attempting this forever now.

Edit: remember my Arakune rant, how i have no respect for people who use him? Well, im starting to get less respect for Noel players, which is SAD since she's pretty much been my on-off main since CT.

2D goes through everything, and has to be one of the safest moves in the game. Her drive is just ridiculous, and i sware to god Assault Through is damn near unblockable online.

I dont even use her anymore. After playing someone who uses her and having them trash me (then picking noel and winning using primarily drive moves with EASE), shes just so easy to use now that when i win with her, it feels like i cheated. Her damage is so easy to get it's ridiculous, and her combos come easier than they ever did in CS1. Like seriously, i cant tell if the person using her is decent or just average anymore.

Edited by Remius

Question...did they change amount of invincible frames on wakeup rolls now? I get hit with obvious ass moves while trying to buffer a DD on wakeup these days. Am i just inputting wrong, or what?

You can't special cancel rolls anymore.

please dont complain, if youre losing chances are it's due to your lack of knowledge or other form of mistake, not the characters. half the noels online dont even do any of the more appropiate moves, that don't leave her utterly exposed to the fatal counter of your choice. you, sir, have to get familiar with her moveset. know her normals and specials (you have played her, so it shouldn't be difficult). lf there's a move bothering you, look up how to beat it with your character. 2d is not THAT safe and it can be baited/punished lf you can take time to find the solution.

roll special/dd was taken out in ct. lt was dumb and defeated the purpose of having to wakeup in the first place: you messed up, you should be at a disadvantage. they did not work in cs1 - your foe just ran into them, it seems.

please dont complain, if youre losing chances are it's due to your lack of knowledge or other form of mistake, not the characters. half the noels online dont even do any of the more appropiate moves, that don't leave her utterly exposed to the fatal counter of your choice. you, sir, have to get familiar with her moveset. know her normals and specials (you have played her, so it shouldn't be difficult). lf there's a move bothering you, look up how to beat it with your character. 2d is not THAT safe and it can be baited/punished lf you can take time to find the solution.

roll special/dd was taken out in ct. lt was dumb and defeated the purpose of having to wakeup in the first place: you messed up, you should be at a disadvantage. they did not work in cs1 - your foe just ran into them, it seems.

You should take my rants with a dose of "lol not really". I dont have a personal problem with the game, and ive even mentioned that most of my issues come from not knowing what to do in most cases. My issue with 2D isn't that it's "safe", it's that it's so easy to hit with. It isn't as bad as it was when it was an overhead, but you can get tons of damage off it now, and it USUALLY isn't very difficult to bait people into getting hit with it, or getting hit while trying to counterattack with it. There are obviously ways around it -- it doesn't make her invincible. It's just annoying. It's becoming obvious why she's considered "S-tier" now.

And i only got about 400 or so matches out of CS before CS2 came out, thanks to school. I guess people were just running into them. Well THAT'S useful information, it should make life alot easier now. I keep wondering why i'll get 5B/5A'd out of my moves one time, and then CH the very same move later on.

Another funny observation....Bluebeats seem to be alot more common in this build of the game, or do i just not mash correctly anymore?

Anyway in more upbeat news, Tsubaki is a bit more scary on this game, and Litchi seems to have been given the "corner treatment" like the rest of the cast. Im slowly starting to see why Hazama is considered so good the more i play him, also.

Edited by Remius

Here's a good question, then: What's the optimal time to tech, or NOT tech, or slow rise, or DP, or whatever....?

thats a question you need to ask the frame data. frame data gives you the complete rundown of each character, including untechable time, options after each move, whether the move knocks back far/close, and frame advantages. l can't control your fingers and brain suring a match, nor can l react for you. you have to do these things, and to do them you need to have good knowledge of the game at hand. that is something the forum guide could help you out with.

Frame data honestly doesn't prove anything that practice mode or experience can't. It's good to know that Bang or Rachel is definitely going to win in a mashing contest, but other than that, you can really gauge these things on your own. Frame Data is just a reinforcement, really. It doesn't take studying a sheet to know when a move is safe or unsafe, or when you should or should not use a move on wake up. Frame Data certianly makes it easier, though.

Here's a good question, then: What's the optimal time to tech, or NOT tech, or slow rise, or DP, or whatever....?

Honestly, this is something that's so situational that you're going to have to look into it yourself. My general gameplan is to NOT be predictable, whatever I do. You really have to learn to read how people play.

Great example is how you react while you're in the corner. People who know that you're going to try and roll behind them are going to hit you low for another combo. People who know you're going to try and jump out may respond with an air grab or command grab. Sometimes stalling works, but sometimes it just gets you picked up off the ground and thrown into more damage. And sometimes, there's just no choice but to emergency and eat another blockstring.

People who know you DP or Burst at the first sign of pressure are going to act accordingly...but in order for them to react to your DP attempt, they're either going to have to block it or avoid it -- this gives you a chance to use it to an advantage. (You can use your DP without actually using your DP...get it?) Neat experiment: I suck serious ass with Ragna, but i've found that if i throw out random DPs in the middle of a match (regardless if i hit, wiff, or get punished or not), people anticipate my DPs far more often than if i ONLY used them on wakeup. It makes it alot easier to get people to do what i want them to do. Just an experiment.

You just have to gauge it, IMO. Conditioning, Mindgames, Respect, whatever people call it. It all comes down to scaring your opponent into not trying dumb shit against you, in my opinion.

Edited by Remius

Oh yeah, most definitely. Ive started looking at it myself for the first time ever because i didn't feel like finding stuff out for myself for everyone AGAIN when the CS2 patch hit.