Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Afro-Demon

[CS1] Mu-12 General Discussion Thread

Watch pulsr's video, the one called Mu Beginner and Avanced set-ups on YouTube.

Why do people barely ever use j.236A. It acts the same way as the party bug does for Arakune...keeps the enemy out and let's you set steins up.

Watch pulsr's video, the one called Mu Beginner and Avanced set-ups on YouTube.

Why do people barely ever use j.236A. It acts the same way as the party bug does for Arakune...keeps the enemy out and let's you set steins up.

I've started to realize this...it's really ass up close, but far away it keeps them out long enough for some nice stein placement...it's just that I don't do it out of habit of just...not doing it...I almost forget she even has the move

i just started playing mu-12, i learned most of her combos. but her crazy oki setups are hard to learn! any advice?

l wouldn't say crazy...

But yes, practice the timing also. even her basic combos can get really damn annoying if you can't time certain things, like when to 214d whiff dash, how to not mash 2b after a 3c, timing 6b juggles, and how to do omohikane as an ender in many situations.

I've been going over some of my matches, and I've noticed that my zoning and keep away is very lacking. I know about using stiens and jC, but I was wondering what tactics and setups the rest of you use so I can flesh out my very one dimensional zoning a bit better.

Also, if you have any methods for approaching I would love to hear it. I'm finding my opponents are getting overly used to my tricks and need to add more tools to my box to keep them thinking.

I've been going over some of my matches, and I've noticed that my zoning and keep away is very lacking. I know about using stiens and jC, but I was wondering what tactics and setups the rest of you use so I can flesh out my very one dimensional zoning a bit better.

Also, if you have any methods for approaching I would love to hear it. I'm finding my opponents are getting overly used to my tricks and need to add more tools to my box to keep them thinking.

You don't approach them. Let them come to you unless it is hazama or lambda. Why would you put yourself in a lot of danger when you can sit all the way on the other side of the screen zoning and not take damage? Imo, work on getting a strong neutral game. Use steins to force certain options on your opponent. When you set up steins and your opponent doesn't like to block, their only options are to approach by air, use a move that will guard point lasers, or use a move that is fast and goes all the way across the screen (can only be performed if certain conditions are met). Vs air: 6a, 2c, air throw. Vs guard point: spacing, (j.c, 5c) Vs full screen moves: bait and block. Lastly, low profile moves can be countered by 2b except noel's 3c probably but you can just block that and punish her.

Once you get a knockdown, then you rush down and keep resetting your opponent. I'd say it is more of a passive aggressive style but that is how I usually play mu. But yea. I think you should only approach when steins are out or the momentum is in your favor because it gives you a lot more options.

Please post some vids of you fighting if you can. l too am having problems with zoning pressure and keeping Ragnas off me.

Also guys - Mu has a litchi-esque crossup. Use any jcable move, iad, then do a late j.c to hit from the other side. lt works quite a bit, very hard to punish (unless you get predictable. Even still, likely the only way to escape is to dash away) and it leads to a combo on hit, extended pressure, or an escape route.

@Aginor: As I play more I'm becoming aware that my usual aggression is misguided. I've got the oki down strong (put alot of time into that), I'm just pretty weak in the zoning game. If you have any general suggestions, I feel like I need some kind of direction with my zoning right now. (Note: While I may be primarily a net-player, I'm not a scrub). What do you do? more specifically then zone better?

@Tempest: I've been doing this forever (ragna can do the same thing). If you land the cross-up you can Dash2B to follow up. Problem is, it's too slow to be a great mixup, but it's great for getting to the other side of the opponent and its a great escape route like you said. If you've been abusing frame traps and other anti mashing software, I'm always surprised at how long I can keep pressure going with stuff like that.

@FlyingVe: Sorry if my last post offended you in any way because I never intended it to be that way. I was trying to give like a general sense of options when zoning and a style of play.

oh and a tip for setting steins, I would set them closer to you unless you're going for a set up or being offensive. Most of Mu's zoning game is just zoning with j.c, 5c, and steins.

@Tempest: I only have one video of me playing recently. Or well...playing as Mu. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247160 2:24:00 Pretty much at that point in time of the video, you'll see me play Mu. I get blown up because of not knowing the Ragna match up. I was mostly basing my play on theory. That and the screen I was playing on felt really weird so my IBs got all messed. And one of my scenarios failed. lols

What I learned is that make sure you really know the pushback of your moves, never ever try to punish Ragna's 6a, and Ragna will always get in so you need defense unless your zoning is completely perfect. I thought I could punish Ragna's 6a after barrier IBing it but it doesn't work. Instead I got FC'd and I was sad. ;|

Don't worry it's cool. I realized my first post was a little general. Its like I know my options, but I just don't feel like I'm using them effectively. People are getting in way to easy.

Also, I hear you on the Ragna matchup. One little screw up and his damage output makes up for half a match of getting hit.

Edit: I just watched your vid. You looked alot like me actually, failing to keep the other guy away. I just abuse 2B alot more (probably too much).

Sorry for the dp but-

Can SoD be effective in zoning and/or anti air? l just viewed the hitbox, shit is huge

It can be nice sometimes when the enemy isn't respecting your space (like dashing/airdashing right in as you set up steins), but if you whiff, kittens die. =(

In some matchups (Makoto off the top of my head) I use raw SoD as AA. It's certainly better when they are pinned by, say, 236D and the payoff isn't huge unless you score a lv 2 or 3 FC other than setting up more steins. Only problem is that it's at worst (lv 1) -10? on block. I have a video of me semi-trolling Ragna with it but I don't recommend it vs him or Haku especially. Pretty punishable on whiff as well.

Basically what Zeromus said. It's probably better (safer) to just 6A, j.C, or 2C though.

But then again, Mu's zoning isn't perfect like it's not as good as Lambda's or Hazama's but yea. I think for everybody especially Mu players, you really have to learn how to block stuff. I personally don't like blocking which is why I wanted to strengthen my neutral game so I don't put myself in those situations but I guess some times it's just inevitable. Match up will probably happen again this weekend since there's a tourney and playing the same person (lol spirit juice).

Good Luck. Try and get some vids if you can. I think we as Mu players could improve alot more if we shared more stuff. Keep the discussion going.

l really only have issues with her zoning, that it. Also l can't block for shit or tech throws.

Perhaps it's just me sucking at defense in general. l find it funny that Rachel is the only char l can play a very solid d with. l just can't get a grip on how to punish or block with mu. lt can get frustrating.

I know this is already rounded in the Mu-12 Basic Guide thread, but I would like to point out that 632146C does exactly 1656 minimum damage (160 in the intitial strike, 187 for each blade ~ 8 ~ )

Making an attempt at adding Mu to my subs list but I have some rather general questions about her offensive/defensive game.

It seems to me from watching videos her pressure without stein assistance seem to be rather insignificant and the vast majority of her setups depend on landing that 3C hit but anyone that's ever played a Mu once knows to block low and watches out for her rather slow overhead that doesn't seem to all that threatening without meter for super/RC.

Does it makes sense to play keep away against most characters, set up steins as quickly as I can and go on the offensive after landing a knockaway/combo while playing defensive using antiair moves like 6A/2C and etc?

I find myself setting up steins when I'm vulnerable and getting punished for it or just trying to pressure without them trying to get the first knockaway/combo and then get punished.

Basically, what's the standard approach in a non-match up specific way. A standard way of thinking when trying to play as Mu is what I'm looking for.

Well, if I was to generalize my personal Mu playstyle;

I usually play a very defensive keep-away game with something like j.C/j.xD>airdash, then when the opponent leaves the smallest amount of time, push out more steins. Once steins are up your options, setups and breathing room increase significantly(amount varies depending on matchup/playstyles). Something like 65-80% of my damage starts off normals in stein pressure or stein hit.

Proper stein setups lead to nonpunishable approaches, in my experience, especially with proper SoD implementation.

If you're always eating pressure pressure pressure, then playing a good normal game can force your opponent to respect your space, giving time for more setups. SoD is also a great tool for keeping your opponent on their toes.

Yeah, keepaway is definitely the style to go for. You generally want to keep them in 3 places.

5C range. lf you keep them here, you are that much closer to the win. 5C allows you to restart any stein setups, any zoning, and they must come to you.

Far away. Even better is when they're far away. Zone them, trap them, scope them. This is the safest place she can be.

Trapped. Stein setups are gimmicky but there's so damn many, easily making this space deadly. 236/214d to keep them there, mix em up, oki, etc

So... does anybody know what the SD is for the different levels of SoD. I know it's -10 at lvl 1, but I want to know the others too.

Actually I had a question about SoD as well.

Are there actually 4 levels? I may just be confused, but there seem to be four separate damage values that it can put out.

3 levels. No one knows level 2 charge (no one uses it)

level 3 is +2, air unblockable.

...I just love sod so, so much on her.

Alright now I'm really curious, I'll go do some frame by frame tests and report back. I know every source everywhere says 3 but I remember some conflict with that when I was testing it myself.

Edit: There ARE four levels of damage.

920(lvl1)

1020(lvl2)

1120(?)

1520(lvl3)

There are not four levels of hitsun that I can confirm without a digital capture device.