Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spark

EVO 2010 Tournament Results and Shoutouts

Vegs Baby!!! Loved everyone second of this momentous event except one thing and I'll talk about this. Wrote this in the wrong thread my bad.

Shoutouts to:

Jan: Had mad fun, I didn't know you were that cool. Your boys Jess and Bryan are mad cool, I will have to make a trip to Austin after all.

Stone: Way cooler than I thought you were, wished we could have chilled more this weekend though. But don't let me body you again because you think I'm free.

Matt Damon aka 10 stars: Thank you for everything. I'll make it up to you in the next tourney. Thanks for being so gdlk.

Jimmy: You are the shit.

Veteru: You gdlk in BB:CS but you have no chance against me in GG. Stick to your game and whether you like it or not Alzareth is a better Testament. We'll have our MM at NEC and you will do Wuku no justice.

Wuku: MM for the next time we play FT10 for $50. Disclaimer: I take full responsibility for losing in the tourney, you won fair and square. I was mad hungry when I played you and I was shaking the whole time. I just want you to know that I'll body you under my normal circumstances.

Alzareth: You needed to stop fucking up, and letting the organizer forget you. I heard you were gdlk when you were drunk. I wish I was there for that.

Bluenine: You were mad fun, and helpful throughout the whole tourney when you really didn't have to be. Also your gf is gdlk especially for that idea she came up with. Soon to be a lucrative business.

Strife: Loved the dresses and you were playing really well at the tourney. Your gonna be the next Mynus eventually.

Vyers: Apologies I thought you were someone that was trolling me on the phone. I really appreciate you calling me to congratulate me. I didn't have your number because I have a new phone. Thanks again.

Jo: Mad props to you for playing hard. I have the utmost respect that you took me on and you are mad cool. I was surprised you weren't a dick.

Now for the situation with Hellmonkey, I divert your attention to the Money Match thread.

Good games to everyone I played at EVO... Guilty Gear was fun, like it always is..! I didn't play as many casuals as I wanted to, but that happens... This felt like a really rushed EVO. There were so many things I wanted to do but never got a chance... Maybe it was the fact that I barely made this EVO, and I had to drive back to AZ right after finals/had to work at 7am that morning...

Shout outs...

Jo: GG's, that corner pressure of yours is amazing! I tried to get out of it anyway possible, but you just kept making my gaurd flash and I eventually got hit... GG's, and thank you for letting us play hotel casuals, Jo.:)

Bluenine: Never got to play you, but things happen... and, yes, my name is Ky-Sama, and I don't main Ky..!

Moroha: If I'm not mistaken, this was the first time I ever got to play you. Your A.B.A is just as scary as I though she would be! I hope my Ky's play-style didn't annoy you too much. GG's...

Testament players I fought in GG singles:

Sorry, I can't remember your names right now... I was pretty nervous coming right out of Marvel pools (or maybe I was still in), and I had to fight Testament with no casuals or practice prior-- I hope I never have to play Marvel and GG right after eachother again... The guy who said "just when you though you've played against enough Testaments" or something like that, read my mind, sorry. GG's...

Stone: Thanks for the casuals. I need Johnny match-up exp... And yeah, I tend to burst badly against Johnny because I lack match-up experience... Thanks for telling me the most common/easiest ways Johnny can bait a burst..

Despite you being rusty, you were pretty good! GG's.

Stryfe & Aria:

It was nice to see you two again. Stryfe made a great choice with moving on from a pad to stick, she also has improved very fast, and her I-No is even better than when she used a pad! Just work on your patience and consistency. I know GG is a hard game, and if your character has hard combos, then that makes things alittle more difficult. But practice makes perfect..! I thought that I would never be able to do Eddie negative edge combo's, etc (especially since I play 2 other characters), but I practiced and practiced, and eventually it paid off!:)

Aria's Jam got much better than the last time I saw her. just work on your fundamentals, patience, and learn your match-ups alittle more.

Too bad we never got to play Stryfe and you..

;__; Shout Outs to Solbumguy and KySama for going to Evo, SOOB. They representing me at heart while i'm stuck in cali sucking! <3 you both ;^;
I was sad that you couldn't make it... We could have had a girl's night out... Anyway, Guilty Gear was not very hype this year, so you weren't missing much... And of course we were representing you at heart.

Me and my sister Sol-Bumguy ♥ you as well T_T!

I'm glad GG had a side tourney on saturday after all, and much thanks to the guy who ran it (Xie I think?)-- since 3v3 teams were canceled because the only one(s) who could have ran it were busy with pools, etc.

Seeing GG so un-hype and so little people interested in it was very disapointing...:(

But I guess this how the US GG scene/community is nowadays... Sad but true..

To anyone else I forgot, GG's...

I didn't go to Evo but I just wanted to say that BlueNINE is my hero for talking shit to the guy who interrupted the grand final. Tae, the guy who recorded the match, told me all about it. I would've done the same if I were there. Two thumbs up.

give me the name of the EVO staff member who turned off the Grand Finals, I'll make sure the right people find out.

Testament players I fought in GG singles:

Sorry, I can't remember your names right now... I was pretty nervous coming right out of Marvel pools (or maybe I was still in), and I had to fight Testament with no casuals or practice prior-- I hope I never have to play Marvel and GG right after eachother again... The guy who said "just when you though you've played against enough Testaments" or something like that, read my mind, sorry. GG's...

That was me, GGs :)

;678525']give me the name of the EVO staff member who turned off the Grand Finals' date=' I'll make sure the right people find out.[/quote']

His name is Alex and he goes by Qwerty.

;678525']give me the name of the EVO staff member who turned off the Grand Finals' date=' I'll make sure the right people find out.[/quote']

It was one of the of the Cannon brothers.

Goodluck with that.

There was nobody named Qwerty on Evo Staff, if it was a Cannon Bro's then yes, too bad. But it sounds like you guys got trolled by someone pretending to be evo staff and need to stand up for yourselves.

that was sarcasm.

QWERTY is on this forum, and doesn't play games.

Go watch the video. He was wearing an EVO STAFF shirt.

Maybe you'll know him. :psyduck:

jared, you don't want to know how much this means to me.

Man, you guys need to chill the fuck out about Evo staff turning off the TV when BYOC was closed. Cut them some slack. They didn't know a tournament was being run, and BYOC was getting closed. They have a schedule to go by. Yeah, it does suck, but get the fuck over it. You can't blame them for trying to keep a schedule, so quit being god damn babies about it. In case you guys forgot (well, most of the GG community wasn't even there to begin with because the community is full of lazy dick bags with egos that don't show up to an event when the community needs it most), Evo staff, in 2008 when GG was a side tournament, actually let us stay past midnight to let us finish our side-tournament when everyone was getting kicked out of the hall and BYOC. I think we ended up finishing at 12:15 AM, and the hall was completely empty except for the people that stayed to watch GG singles grand finals. Even some of Evo staff watched and even got a bit hype for it.

Are you running a 3000 person event practically all by yourself with minimal help from community members to run pools? Oh? You aren't? You're just a player that came to BYOC, probably didn't enter any of Evo's games, thusly getting to be inside the Evo hall for free? If so, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT. Evo staff is not out to get the GG community and never has been. I thought this was squashed last year, but some stupid people in the community still think that is the case. Get the fuck over yourselves. The community is not special. The community and GG is not any more important than any other game. Stop acting like idiots and get over it. With such a horrible attitude, it's no wonder GG is dead in America... and I'm fucking glad it is because people are so god damn full of themselves.

Also, the guy who turned off the TV (based on what I can tell what he was wearing), is probably THE nicest guy on Evo staff, so fucking get off his dick.

Alright, I'm hella late since I only came back the other day, and am still recovering from Evo. For the new kids who only knew me by my real name at Evo, I'm Stone. :)

a3religion: Dude, your Johnny is really sick! It's great to see someone so passionate about the game and pick it up where I left off. Keep playing playa, and work on that Balrog, needs to turtle. :p

Jo!!!: I think we missed each other when we could've played each other due to the tournament, but oh well. After playing awhile though I saw that I was missing combos and reversals (I solely blame SF4), you would've probably beat me down IMO. I tried calling you Saturday and you didn't pick up! ;.; We'll never know until we meet up again though! Next year I'll definitely be around!

blue9: Dude, you were mad awesome, your Juri and Alex are pretty good! I can't wait to run into you again.

Strife and aria: It was great meeting you two, I'm surprised that there are still more players learning Guilty Gear after it's heyday has passed. I'll definitely see you guys again.

Kai-sama and SolBumguy: I heard you two knew how to play Marvel, had no idea you played Guilty Gear also! It was a great surprise, and I hope you guys get better and better. So dirty using me as matchup experience to fight Jo. >_>

Veteru: The murderers meet up again. :) I wish I got to play you in well....pretty much anything, but one day! Also mad props to keeping me up and getting me to waste my relax day on Monday with sleep. ;.;

Anyone else, I'm sorry! I really need to play more Guilty Gear, but as Evo stands if you're anywhere in Street Fighter it really drains any energy out of you, I can't play in 5 games at the same time like I used to back in the day (I forfeited Melty Blood after losing one match due to going back and forth between pools of SSF4). That also goes to my money matches, I didn't get around to it at all due to being busy playing and meeting people, but maybe next time we meet!

Yeah, qwerty was a real dick for shutting off the power and pretending to be EVO staff, and we should definitely take action.

;678567']Yeah those EVO Jerseys were on sale all weekend anyone can buy them.

The yellow polo shirt? lol.

Not the jerseys.

Also, the guy who turned off the TV (based on what I can tell what he was wearing), is probably THE nicest guy on Evo staff, so fucking get off his dick, so I can get on it..

Omae wa... mou shinde iru.

About that whole thing, the ENTIRE situation (instead of just "OMG they turned off grand finals") goes like this:

They wanted everyone out at 9 to set up for Bang the Machine. From 9 to 9:10 they were telling everyone to leave over the mic, and they even flashed the lights a few times. Nobody playing or watching GG noticed - I know, I was one of them. :^) Around 9:15 Evo staff started coming down the row of BYOC monitors turning them off, and by the time we realized they were coming they were too mad to be intercepted and reasoned with - I know, I tried. :^)

There was no way to tell our tournament apart from a large casual setup, either.

From our perspective, wtf they turned off a tournament. We didn't tell them it was one, we didn't notice them telling anyone to leave, and we didn't look at the Evo schedule to figure out they would probably be telling people to get out at 9.

From their perspective, wtf we hadn't noticed in 15 minutes. They were well within their rights to turn it off, since we had gotten an extra 15 minutes. They have been nice to side tournaments in the past, as well.

I talked to the Cannons afterward, and the arrangement from now on is something like:

They'll be adding to the Evo rules a section like "we reserve the right to turn off ANYTHING when the schedule says people are required to leave."

We can look at the schedule (our first mistake this year), look at the time, and tell them we have a tournament running. They will let us finish whatever match is going on when we should be leaving, but we have to leave after that.

The people I talked to stressed how important side tournaments and the community are to Evo, but they also stressed how important the schedule is when thousands of people are involved. (^.^)

Evo staff shirts were Red not Yellow.

Well what Mike Z says makes sense, now I know the story! knowings half the battle, next time read the schedule players! gg!

Next year I'm getting a suite, and I will personally hold the GG Singles tournament in my room if we get kicked out early. :3

My only problem with the TV thing is that it was clearly something important, there was a ton of people watching it and like 3 people obviously recording, he could have waited 30 seconds. If it was just a couple dudes playing with a few spectators I would have understood, but it was clearly something important.

edit: yes i understand it was a misunderstanding on both sides, and yes I know evo is not out to get us. I just thin it was poorly handled from their end.

Yeah, but it wasn't clearly stated to be a tournament match, so it's hard to know what to do when it's literally your job to get people out 15 minutes ago for a huge scheduled event.

not when you've been doing it for ten years.

west coast needs to shake off this battered wife syndrome towards evo; just because it's in our backyard doesn't mean it's ours for the taking.

justify it all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that gg got dicked over YET AGAIN at evo. do you hear about this kind of shit happening at frosty faustings or final round?