Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keo-bas

Button Binding tourney legal?

eh, i played gg on pad for over a year and i was able to do frc's and the like pretty consistently, and i never used a macro. i think people make far too much of a fuss over it, honestly.

and on principle, there really is no difference between macroing button inputs and directional ones; either way, you're letting the game do inputs for you.

So on principle if I wanted to macro every single move to a button, so I could just hit a button and everything I want my character to do happens, taking any and ALL skill out of the game its no different than linking two attack buttons together? I think you guys are arguing too literally at that point to even consider the ramifications of such an argument.

execution is all there is to fighting games?

and here's a question for you; if we let pad players macro, why not let stick players do the same?

Because pad players button (not move) macroing puts them on roughly the same level as stick players. Its no secret that the button layout on a stick is far more friendly than pad players, who sometimes have to do gymnastics with their fingers to pull off some button combinations, if they are unable to bind their buttons properly. Its in some ways the same thing as the KKK and PPP macros in SF4 but, the key difference is, that pad players are doing it because it can be a severe pain in the ass to pull off compare to a stick where it is simply and cleanly layed out. If you can't hit the buttons properly on a stick, it's no one's fault but your own.

I want you to argue bursting with all four buttons at the same time without a macro is a simple matter. I want you to do this without resorting to palming your controller, just your thumb.

Because some of us don't want to squeeze our controller to death, other people gotta use them too, and even further we don't want to have to replace it every three months.

Hey man, a player's choice of controller is on the player. No one's fault but their own. Either practice up and get good with your controller of choice, or get a job and buy a stick.

Hey man, a player's choice of controller is on the player. No one's fault but their own. Either practice up and get good with your controller of choice, or get a job and buy a stick.

I have a job, and I still can't afford a stick. You want to front the cash for me?

this is starting to sound like the DLC threads

this is starting to sound like the DLC threads

The difference here 4r5, is that I'm not saying anyone is evil because they want my money. In fact, this isn't anything like that. This is you insisting that if I can't get everything done with my pad, without macroing a few button combinations, that it's purely my fault, and that I should man up and get a stick if I want a better layout. Sticks are prohibitively expensive, costing roughly 150-200 for a good one. I'm not the only guy around here that will tell you I'd rather pay rent and bills than spend that cash on a stick. Having a stick is a joy, don't get me wrong, but if your entire argument about macroing is "get a stick" well...you aren't arguing, you're trolling at that point.

if you want a te, they can be found for as little as $70 if you just look/wait.

or, alternatively, learn to use your pad effectively. i played on a ps2 dualshock (meaning pressure sensitive face buttons) with a bad right button for over a year, and i was able to do jump install combos that required frc's in guilty gear.

macroing is just dumb, lol. it's only acceptable in gg because you do actually put yourself at a disadvantage by macroing frc. otherwise, it's a crutch for players with weak execution- pad, stick or otherwise.

Sticks are prohibitively expensive, costing roughly 150-200 for a good one. I'm not the only guy around here that will tell you I'd rather pay rent and bills than spend that cash on a stick.

So prohibited that most anyone that attends a tournament uses one of these insanely expensive devices? I don't think i've ever met anyone at a tournament that was forced on pad due to money constraints. Players choose their prerogative when it comes to input device. If you're not able to afford a stick, you shouldn't be a part of the competitive fighting game community. It cost money to do so, money thats not always guaranteed to get back in rewards.

Honestly, button bindings are no big deal. Skilled players will come out on top and one would believe they're solid on execution whatever they play on.

I appreciate the input on this matter guys. I think some of the argument at hand may be exaggerating certian cases. But I must admit that execution is key element in fighters. How ever I do feel trying to emulate the arcade experience of this day an age is redundant for me to do. I'm not in the region where arcades is part of the norm. If I was trying to participate in their events than I agree that I should abide by their standards, but if not than I personally disregard them. I plan and intend to only enter tournament that are base on consoles game that's convenient for me. So with that I don't plan to learn a stick at all.

The matter on allowing console exclusive feature seem loosely argue on both sides in my opinion.The driving argument against console features seems be about Arcade authenticity, in a attempt emulate arcade experiences. But then how do we address people who have controller peripherals that accommodate the game being played. which usually solve by button mapping. If I'm correct Arcade didn't have this leisure so for the sake of authenticity it should not be allow. Not such convenient argument because now that dictates player on what controllers that have to use and that a whole mess of problem for individuals who cant accommodate simply due to lack of resources.

But with such an argument in BBCS case then what about the easy mode being ban? Why should it be ban if its in arcade unit default settings?. But now where going in full circles in the argument. Both sides like to bend their rules and customize them to cater to certian audience.

I look at it like this. If playing arcade than one should follow arcade standards for their events. If playing on console than one should follow console standards for their events. I personally admit that I'm not in favor for shortcut keys but with following console standards I would be wrong to saying it should be ban.

But Ultimately it depends on the event hostler how things will run. It ultimately is just that. But the purpose for my original post was to get an idea of where the concept is going.

You are missing the point. It's not about arcade authenticity. It's about no one being special and deserving of accommodations. If you decide to play, then you play as you are. Whether you are playing on pad, or playing with a broken button, or playing with an amputated hand.

but regardless, EVO allows in-game buttons macros, and thus all US tournaments allow in-game button macros. The war was fought, and in the end our say didn't really matter.

You are missing the point. It's not about arcade authenticity. It's about no one being special and deserving of accommodations. If you decide to play, then you play as you are. Whether you are playing on pad, or playing with a broken button, or playing with an amputated hand.

but regardless, EVO allows in-game buttons macros, and thus all US tournaments allow in-game button macros. The war was fought, and in the end our say didn't really matter.

I completely agree with this sentiment. We all know about Gief's walking 720 on pads, but I don't see stick players demanding compensation. Whichever device you choose to use is completely your decision; no one is to blame but you if you can't do RCs on a pad, but refuse to switch to stick. When I used my Fightpad, my grip of choice was The Claw for the sole reason of being able to RC easily. If you cannot afford a stick, that's fine. Either don't participate in serious competition if you think you're gimped without a stick, or use that time you would've used to get used to stick by getting better at pad. Everyone starts on equal ground, whether they use pad or stick, there's no need to give special treatment to either.

Also, isn't the whole point of joining forums to discuss? If history has taught us anything, it's that regulations are never final. One can hope for some EVO in the future, eh?

Ideally you'd start another thread for that. This one's pretty much settled - it's just being dragged off-topic now.

it's just being dragged off-topic now.

No problem, Circ!

To keep the thread on the topic on-topic, I will post this here: How is this the most interesting thing being discussed on the forum right now?