trag

Site Feedback/Suggestions

Maybe it's too early to think about this, but Im suggesting a system similar to smashboards to reward players for placing well in legitimate tourny's. 

It looks like this

http://smashboards.com/threads/civil-war-vi-evo-seeding-points-500-melee-pot-bonus-results-richmond-va.352463/

I know the way it works is that the person who created the Tournament Thread goes in and posts the results and players "claim" their name. After mod approval their account gets added next to the results and those points are awarded to players. Of course This is probably something difficult to do with our small scene but I know for a fact it's given many players incentive to post about upcoming tournaments and even go out to some. 

Just a thought for the future :)

Not everyone plays (or can't play like me) in tourneys, but still talk about useful stuff in the forum. Maybe it would be a good idea to have it if the "forum recognition" doesn't dissapear.

Not everyone plays (or can't play like me) in tourneys, but still talk about useful stuff in the forum. Maybe it would be a good idea to have it if the "forum recognition" doesn't dissapear.

But the forum recognition (and im guessing recognition as in the awards correct me if im wrong) hasnt been used since may of this year and before that some of them are as old as a year. Personally rankings/some way to track people progress would be nice cause that gives people a incentive to keep playing. Seeing a friend or rival go up in the ranking make you want to get stronger and get to where they are.

Just could be something after we work on the main issues, but something like that could bring in new life into the communities.

So, the site's been updated!

I was wondering, is it possible to get back "My content" in the username drop down box?  I used to love that to check in on threads where I made posts.  The current "My activity" is similar, but not quite the same since it displays posts, not threads.  It's less efficient for checking to see if threads have new posts in them.

Also, is the current color scheme a work in progress, or is this it?

Edited by Narroo

I'm not sure if this thread or the General Revamp thread is right for this so I'll post it here.  My two disappointments with the redesign are the apparent lack of any color customization and the fact that the character subforums are no longer nice and neatly aligned into columns but instead in a haphazard blocky list.  Other than that, things still seem to be organized and findable so it's cool for me who is generally more just looking for info than participating in discussions.

We haven't made any color schemes yet. Not sure which ones are coming back (if any). Want to talk to a designer about this stuff first.

The source code editing button is the first button on the toolbar all the way to the left that says "Source". Does it not show up for you? What are you using to view the site? Are you on mobile? What browser?

Strange, I don't know why you don't have the button. Can you try a different browser? I see it in chrome and opera. Does anyone else have this issue? Am I the only one who sees it?

sourceIcon.png

Edited by shtkn

Tried it in two browsers and cleared cookies and I also don't see it. I don't know how to preview my posts, either.

On another note, youtube video embeds are stretched to full width, now, which is pretty crazy looking.

Ah ok, so apparently there is an option for that, but there's an issue: there's no bb code anymore it's pure html. That's quite the security risk if i allowed everyone access to it... unfortunately this will probably be a staff only feature. I'm sorry.

Currenly every HTML command, like spoiler, quotes or emoticons, which were posted prior the upgrade are messed up. Even some EVERY link is dead now (poor Zepp Museum).

Just want to ask if it is even possible to repair them or if they are gone for good. I know the staff are trying their best to fix up everything, but it seems that these things stay dead/broken.

EDIT: Just went through some of the older forum posts and it seems that only the commands from around mid to end of May 2013 until 7th August 2015 are affected. The commands themselves (like [quote name= ...] etc.) are still visible on posts from May 2013 until mid March of 2014 while the newer ones don't have anything. :psyduck:

Here are my current gripes with the forum, off the top of my head (which means that I might forget some, but I'll just post them later):

- Is it possible to make the avatars the same size as before? Don't really see why we would decide to make them smaller, unless it's all because of the software.
 - Not sure we need the post count under the avatars, it's irrelevant most of the time. Hiding them in the user profile like before should be fine.
 - Since we have the smilie categories now, why not break them down into separate game series?
 - Is it possible for the chat to show the last couple of messages when you enter it? I rarely use the chat because it's impossible to follow any long-term discussions, so there is little reason to enter it unless there are about 10 people online (but since no one wants to be the first, that's a rare thing to happen).
 - The skins, awards, signatures and subforum icons are all gone, but I assume they will be back in due time.

- The "Posts" window does not seem to update in real time: I don't see this post in it. Also, I think it would be better if it didn't show all the new posts from a single thread, just the latest one. Like before the update, basically.

- It also seems that hitting "Enter" automatically formats text into paragraphs, which is not something I always want (as you can see from the way this post looks).

- There's a broken image under everyone's title, and I have no idea what it should be. Should probably remove it for good, unless it's supposed to be the awards or something.

• Unfortunately, i think the upgrade blew up all the formatting code form before... i don't know if there's a converter out there, but my bet is it's unlikely.
  • I'll look into avatar sizes, but I didnt' see any obvious options when i looked around, just circle vs square.
  • I wanted to remove post count and that broken image link, that's on my todo list
  • I remember seeing the sidebar having a caching system, which would explain why things don't update right away, i'll look into disabling it and hopefully performance is still reasonable.
  • I didn't see any options for the desired functionality you want in the Posts window, i don't think there's a way to change that...

I'm afraid it's a little too late, but any chance of reverting to IPB 3.4.x? There are great skins that can really give the Forum a new look while maintaining the old functions. Plus the numerous applications and hooks that are only available for the older version could improve the user's experience and interaction.

As a fellow community manager, I think IPB 4 hasnt matured enough yet, specially when the old software has many more modifications and is a proven solid platform. It might not be too late...

Edited by Tong

yeah, no way we can go back unless i replace our current forums with a backup, meaning all posts between then and now disappear

Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet, I personally think that reverting would be better in the long run. Plus, are these few posts more important than the hundreds of character threads destroyed by the update? Manually fixing them takes alot of time, specially from Mods. Not to mention the old features being gone and possible bug/glitches in this new system (happens no matter how perfect the transition is).

And as I said these are my personal thoughts on the matter, I could live with this new Forum and I know that good programmers can basically fix and implement anything somehow.

Edited by Tong

Couple things:

---I use Chrome and the forum was NEVER this sluggish to add posts to before.  Posting anything right now takes forever to load.
---I agree with the Avatar size thing, seems a little mainstream to have stuff this tiny.  People like expressing themselves around here.
---All the previous posts seem to have been turned in to spaced-out paragraphs, as you said, not sure if that can be fixed or not.
---I don't mind deleting older posts (not like it's the first time it's been done), and given people just want "good" changes I don't think many will mind either.
---For some reason a "broken image link" is floating below everyone's custom User-title (below the Username, just above the Avatar < ).

Edited by Blade

If we're talking about speed, the last two forum updates made it pretty slow. Even before this update whenever I made a post it would just give me the spinning Ajax ball thing and I'd have to abort and refresh the page to see my post. Two updates back is when it was fast...

Though it's certainly slower now than before. Last update it took maybe 5-6 seconds at most for a post, now it's up to like 15-18 sometimes.

There's also the fact that when I click "New Content" and click another option, I can't search for another 15 seconds; so its like I can't even go to a 2nd page if there's a new content of it.

Couple things:

---I use Chrome and the forum was NEVER this sluggish to add posts to before.  Posting anything right now takes forever to load.
---I agree with the Avatar size thing, seems a little mainstream to have stuff this tiny.  People like expressing themselves around here.
---All the previous posts seem to have been turned in to spaced-out paragraphs, as you said, not sure if that can be fixed or not.
---I don't mind deleting older posts (not like it's the first time it's been done), and given people just want "good" changes I don't think many will mind either.
---For some reason a "broken image link" is floating below everyone's custom User-title (below the Username, just above the Avatar < ).

As a fellow Chrome user, literally everything mentioned here is what I've got, too.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Tapatalk cannot connect to the forums any longer, I hope this gets re-implemented some day because I literally spent 3 bucks on that app just for this forum awhile back.

Other than that, site looks nice.