Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zoogstin

Zappa Love: Series Renovation. AC Edition!!!!

Not sure where this goes because its AC+, but since its Zappa, yeah.

I was playing Zappa's storyline earlier, and Slayer is a pain. Anyone know how to kill him?

I'd figure a lot of hard hitting moves (naked 2HS, dog 2D etc). And then having enough tension and orbs to get Raoh and overdrive.

what do you guys think about using 256p summon as an anti-air for certain approaches? it worked a little bit against my friend's johnny during corner pressure.

It depends on the trajectory of your opponents attack. 236P suffers from crappy startup. The opponent can often land before being hit by it and thus can block it.

i'm a really new player, can i ask random questions to some of you guys on AIM when i need an answer?

I'm pretty much on this site like half of the day so you can hit me up anytime man.

:keke:

Was bored, so I figured I would dump a whole heap of knowledge/theory-fighter here. I've been reading this forum for a long time, so hopefully I can return something worth all that I've taken from these threads over that past year and a half or so.

Some Zappa tricks for maintaining pressure and maximizing your mixups/combos:

Raoh Mode:

While Raoh's damage output is pretty much unmatched (not taking HnK into consideration), a number of Zappa players inevitably fall victim to disappointment over his lack of a standard high/low mixup outside of 5d. This is not necessarily the case. Think of Raoh-Zappa as a character like Johnny in the sense that, while you have a comparative lack of grounded overheads, you have a number of ways to end strings at frame advantage, opening up a number of possibilities for gaps and frame traps.

Your mixup is simple, but very effective: end a short string with 236S (no follow-up) or 632146S (if you're comfortable spending the meter), which are +7 and +15 on block respectively. Hit confirming is vital here; force your opponent to block your lows and your standing dust, becoming weary of their steadily rising guard gauge, and when they finally become impatient and fall for CH/backdash/jump bait, kill them in the ensuing combo.

Off any knockdown (say, from the summon that grants you Raoh) into a meaty Darkness Anthem, I usually do one of two things:

-Run up, 2S, 236S (no followup), 2S: Darkness Anthem is +7 on block, and 2S has a 7 frame start-up. This is a very deceptive and potentially deadly frame trap. The second 2S cancels into 5HS for a combo and hit confirm, as well as 2HS(slow, deceptive looking low, no combo) and 5D(high, no combo). If all else fails, Zappa is still gaining considerable meter from his special moves, while the opponent is taking tons of chip damage from blocking repeated fireballs while watching their guard gauge slowly inch closer to flashing.

-Run up 5D (blocked), 2S: another deceptive frame trap, albeit not quite as safe. Most opponents who block a 5D instinctively believe that the ball is in their court at that point and feel they are free to begin their pressure/punishment-- this is not so, as Raoh's dust, on top of being frighteningly quick to start up, is +4 (yes, +4) on normal block. There is a 3 frame gap in between blocked 5D and linked 2S; while I'm sure there are 3 frame moves throughout the cast, I know of none (save reversals and Potemkin Buster) that can make up for the pushback of a blocked 5D while still beating 2S.

Later on, once your opponent is conditioned to fear these tactics, don't be afraid to run in after a blocked DA and just throw them. This works especially well closer to the corner and later on in your pressure when their guard gauge is close to max.

One habit I also got into later on in my days as a Zappa player is to take note of the time on the clock where I summoned Raoh. At about 13 seconds, if the opponent has blocked your mix-up, you have nothing to lose from doing 5D (blocked), 214D. While 214D is not that difficult to react to on its own, I'm sure you will certainly catch a number of opponents off guard, not only with 2 subsequent grounded overheads, but also by using a de-summoning move while in Raoh mode. Depending on how much you've cranked their guard gauge, you can easily get CH unsummon FB, which launches into an easy summon. On lighter characters (I don't have the game on me right now, wish I could test this out :x ) you might even be able to catch them with 214D (CH), run up 2HS summon for big damage and stun.

(EDIT 8/31: Tested this out the other night on Millia; 2HS xx summon is definitely possible off of CH 214D without even needing to run up...tight, tight timing though, be careful not to hit them on the ground with 2HS. With her guard meter cranked to full--which isn't necessarily unthinkable, especially if you've forced them to block a super--I was even able to get CH 214D, CH 2HS (floats), run up 2HS, 236P...orbs, huge damage, and, more importantly, FULL STUN on Millia. So yeah. ^^)

Naked:

Make liberal use of 2HS in gaps for the fact that it cancels into every other normal that Zappa has. 2P,2K,2HS,5P-->run back in, 5K/6P/2K is surprisingly effective CH bait on top of resetting your pressure. You can be punished for this, though, so don't get predictable.

A gimmick of mine for when I *need* a summon or want to finish off an opponent that's low on life is to use jump-installed 6HS RC into j.S as a fuzzy guard mix-up. 6HS catches opponents off guard fairly often as is, and with 50% meter you get some nasty mixup/follow-up options on hit or block.

Off of any string with a JI--can be as simple as 6P (JI)...--but for the sake of example let's say it's: 2K, c.S (JI), 2HS...

-...6HS RC (hit) j.S, land 236P (Orbs, knockdown)

-...6HS RC (hit) j.s jc dj.sd (Damage, no knockdown but good for finishing)

-...6HS RC (blocked) j.s (hit) land 1P, 1K, 236P (Orbs, knockdown, burst safe)

-...6HS RC (blocked) j.s (hit) land c.S, 2HS, 2D, 236P (Orbs, knockdown, damage in lieu of being burst safe...tight timing on j.S, c.S, might need to skip 2D on some characters/from some distances)

I recommend learning how to Impossible Dust with 5D j.9D 159 j.9D, land 236P. A little extra damage never hurt, this is also useful for sword ID combo's involving 5S (JI) 2HS, etc. For a long time, I was lazy and just did 5D FD j.d, etc. Doing the double jump variation nets you some extra damage and a considerable amount of extra sexiness.

Ghosts:

While pressuring, bear in mind that both f.S and 2S are neutral on normal block and are both very quick moves. both moves combo into 236S on hit confirm, f.S being the easier of the two thanks to the stagger on CH. Use these alongside ghost toss FRC to close gaps and maintain pressure on your opponent.

Against characters without uppercuts, I can't stress enough how much I love 2HS as a meaty, especially right after the summon that nets you the triplets. This move has a ton of active frames, and is +5 if you hit with it as early as the first one. Do a short dash before you begin your mixup and watch your opponent struggle against their desire to hit buttons. It also chips, which is just icing on the cake.

Generally, I'd use 236P as a meaty off a connected trip, as it is safer, easier, and IMO nets you better mixup options off of meaty 236P, running jump low AD/land and low/etc. 2HS is nice after summon knockdowns and random KDs from banana peels, etc.

After a blocked meaty 2HS or P-ghost, a very basic mixup into an overhead is to do something like 6P, 6HS for some good damage (at least as far as the triplets are concerned). Once they start blocking this, you apply your mixup: the start-up of c.S looks deceptively similar to that of 6HS, especially in the thick of pressure, and chains immediately into 6P and 2S, both lows. Start mixing up between 6P, 6HS and 6P, c.s, 6P/2S for a pretty silly 50/50 mixup. Both can lead to a haunting, although 6HS requires 50% meter to do so.

-6P, 6HS RC (2 hits), run in c.S, 2S, 2D, 236P (meaty, apply mixup) or 236K (OTG haunting, opponent can tech away)

-6P, c.S, 6P f.S, 5HS, 236S FRC...etc. Be creative.

-6P, c.S, 6P, 6HS...lulz

Hope someone is able to take something from all this and apply it towards upping their game, or contribute something to these ideas in order to make them more solid. A number of the people I played casuals with have since shifted their focus to SF4 so I wanted to record all of this here before it all got swept aside to make room for Sakura reset options. :psyduck:

There's one thing that I disagree with, the 2S with the ghosts sucks. I haven't used that since I played #R. Everything else is good, especially run in and throw for Raoh. That's usually the best way to stop them from blocking.

Dude 2S with the ghosts is neutral on block. In a block string I'll do a couple 2S's and then run up and keep attacking.

Yeah, I'm fairly fond of 2s. Then again, I have madd love for the ghosts. STOP POSTING HERE! I'M TRYING TO FORGET ABOUT HOW MUCH ZAPPA MEANT TO ME, AND MOVE ON! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

D: D: D: That sucks. I just gutted my PS2 HRAP to make it into a 360 stick, since my EX2 broke. D: I still have the PCB with all the wires attached, though, so once I have a little more money, Imma make it a dual-system stick. Why is the HRAP case sooooooooooooo gooooooooooood?

At least you guys have a scene. I live in an area where there are hardcore otaku's and no one has fucking heard of this game. T.T How the fuck is that possible? (trying to recruit but everyone likes Halo or something... like SF4... goddamn you SF)

Dude 2S with the ghosts is neutral on block. In a block string I'll do a couple 2S's and then run up and keep attacking.

That's if it even connects for them to block. They lag behind me so bad I just stopped using them.