Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zoogstin

Zappa Love: Series Renovation. AC Edition!!!!

Where are you located?

North VA. I'd like to have to competition, but uhm, MD is a bit of gas money ya know? :vbang:

I need a bigger TV (have mini-13in) and a chair. I can't play games sitting on a bed cross-legged. It fucks with my concentration. >:l I can't even beat the cpu right now.

5P and 2P are awesome blockstrings. And if you have the dog its even better.

Weird. I thought VA had a decent amount of players. Prolly shouldn't play the CPU, but I dunno. Maybe only use them to make sure you can pull off combos when the opponent is moving?

Weird. I thought VA had a decent amount of players.

Prolly shouldn't play the CPU, but I dunno. Maybe only use them to make sure you can pull off combos when the opponent is moving?

Then the players are like the triforce and random crests. Their hiding in little dungeons. :/

MD is full of players, but I find it relatively strange I can't find VA players.

Playing the CPU is to give me practice in general until convention time rolls around.

I've been playing quite a bit of GG lately, and as scrubby as this sounds, I've found three things that I've always underappreciated about Zappa. 1. His j.p: This move is just neat. I love catching an opponent with it really low to the ground and going j.p, j.k, 2p, 2k, 2d, summon. It's also a decent air to air. 2. His j.d: It's wonky as all shit, don't get me wrong, but when it's out, it's got power. 3. His airthrow range: FD and I were playing about 45 matches yesterday, and I got airthrows that I never thought were possible, but I had an inkling they'd work. Lo' and behold, I grabbed some crazy shit. Hey Tilde, I don't suppose you have some sword info I could make use of, do you?

Zappa has an average throw range. Also, his j.d is pretty much a free grab for your opponent on block all day. Althought the CH is fricken sweet! Jumping is bad in general for zappa though, not to mention his j.p is kind of asking for a punish. It doesn't have much priority at all.

Yeah j.p is a horrible air to ground move unless you have the ghosts or dog covering you. I've used it on occasion though.

I'm not saying they're the greatest moves, nor should they be spammed, but they have their uses. Maybe I was just grabbing extended hitboxes then? Either way, I got some long range throws.

Grabbing hitboxes is the shit i miss most with GG. Well, that and Zappa's poor-man's unblockable (spit+tackle, you'd be surprised who eats it). TK sword spin would be sooooooo niiiiiiiiiiiice if it were an overhead. Just get the dog out and win. That's how cool zappas roll. Or ghosts and just keep hitting with j.hs, lololol

5P and 2P are awesome blockstrings. And if you have the dog its even better.

I think 2P isn't that good as a blockstring. And 5P is even better with the ghosts than it is with the dog.

1. His j.p: This move is just neat. I love catching an opponent with it really low to the ground and going j.p, j.k, 2p, 2k, 2d, summon. It's also a decent air to air.

If you are jumping into an opponent with Zappa you should be crossing them up with jHS. If you are too far away, jD. If you want to trick them by going deep and then JCing to cross them up use jS (jump in deep jS, 9(JC cross-up) deep jHS. jP is a panic move in my opinion, if you are in the air and the opponent is coming at you, I'd use jP. I use jK if I am dropping straight down since it has the most range but I hardly use it because it activates too late.

The sword spin is amazing, just add 50% tension. The 236S with the sword has fricken sick mix up! I mean after the 236S connect you get a low (2s), a high (6hs), and a jump stuff (sword spin). I mean their are exceptions, but for the most part this is ridiculously solid. It is one hell of a mind game. Rock, Paper, Scissors anyone? :gonk: Oh yeah, not to mention the hit confirm on these moves. 2s: 2s, 2hs, 63214 hs frc 66 c.s, 2hs, j. s dj. sd 6hs: 6h, 63214 hs frc 66 c.s, 2hs, j. s dj. sd sword spin: sword spin rc, 66, 2s, 2hs, j. s dj. sd This is hype fo sho. I still think the sword is best used as a poking tool. This is definitely a viable option though.

I think 2P isn't that good as a blockstring. And 5P is even better with the ghosts than it is with the dog.

QUOTE]

I was using sarcasm, but whateves. Sword is always good stuff.

The bad thing is with 236s with sword is that your pressure strings don't work on characters that can reach you after they block a slide. Venom, Sol and Ky come to mind. I get f.s everytime :/ However, I can try those hit confirms for a bit of risky damage, but then again, isn't Zappa supposed to be a little risky?

Yeah, I did say there were some exceptions. I usually just poke and hit confirm like a mad man with the sword. To my knowledge though, I play with a johnny and a faust all the time. Both of which who have attacks who can beast through it. Both of them have told me that in the corner they do not have enough time to pull off their attack and I get CH. Not to mention that is where the whole mind game aspect comes into play.

I played a Faust and Baiken on a regular basis. One I couldn't cross up, the other I couldn't pressure. My Zappa played very weird, to say the least. Sword is for poking/UPPERCUUUUUUUUUUUUT! I love CH sword combos. They're fun.

That is funny you said that, our Johnny player mained Baiken for the longest time until he finally decided that the play style didn't suite him. Which one did you have trouble pressuring? I know I couldn't cross up our baiken because he air grabbed like a mo fo....

Baiken is kinda a pain. You have to be really careful when pressuring her. Especially if you have a summon you're fond of. D: You can't cross up Faust unless he's in blockstun the whole time. Stupid 2k.

Never pressure Baiken >< just stand from outside and use Ghost to harass her. If you have Sword, run around and cross up by using Hs, if you have dog, just stand still and wait for her movement. I have played Zappa for 2 years, but just have figured out how to deal with Baiken after being defeated so many times. Btw : Is anyone here still playing GG via Net on #Reload version ?? I never ever met someone who played Zappa and was able to beat me down.

You can pressure Baiken.....you just have to force her to do what you want. 2k is pretty much the key to pressuring Baiken in my opinion. It is a long, fast poke that gives you a few options. Not to mention if you do 2d after 2k it limits Baiken's option because that will stuff sakura and give you a CH. That only really leaves her with ouren, in which you can air grab. As well as yoshijin, which you can block, then run in and get a free summon or combo. I mean Baiken is going to block, she wants a counter. Just tick throw the hell out of her and force her to block with 2k. Throwing in a random running 5d never hurt. Besides that, just sit tight and poke as you said before. In general though I just poke until I get a health advantage and just sit there and poke the hell out of her. It is kind of dumb to go offensive on Baiken to begin with due to her counters.....that is just usually how I got about it if I am forced to.

QUESTION: How do I make Venom eat the sword? I've read that sword Zappa is supposed to rape Venom, but I don't see how.

It's easy. Just spam. Nah, I dunno. I've never once fought a Venom. I'd guess you just poke him and stuff, but I dunno. I'd prolly prefer ghosts or dog in this match-up, to get past his walls o' balls.

QUESTION:

How do I make Venom eat the sword? I've read that sword Zappa is supposed to rape Venom, but I don't see how.

Hmm, your right, my guide doesn't really give much info on this.

First and foremost are your anti-airs. 2HS and DP will ruin Venom's day. The sword DP is VERY good-- teach yourself how to reversal with it and it will be a good tool for shutting down Venom's pressure. When he's on the ground, a quick 5HS or Swordswipe can spook him into playing defensively or net a random free counterhit as he tries to summon balls or pop out a charge ball real quick. Sweeps are very strong against Venom so abuse them. Sword slide isn't very useful in this matchup, as he can punish very easily with charge balls. Don't get into the air, and crouch low as much as possible unless he does an overhead, as your hitbox will be much smaller and harder for him to hit with his projectile wall. Look out for his 6P and 6HS, they're weird moves that can mess you up if your not familiar with how to beat them.

2S/5S are good too. Real good. Especially if you're close, the speed gives you good counterhit chances and can easily lead into a solid blockstring/mixup/combo. Don't use swordspin out of combos, Venom has some really decent anti-airs to mess you up. Don't jump in the air for that matter, really, you're much better off on the ground. Abuse throw mixups as well, make him scared to let the sword in close.

Your main strengths with the sword is your ability to get very close and still outpoke him. Most of the swords moves are either faster or simply have better range than his pokes-- 5HS is your go-to tool for shutting him down at mid range. Make him fear it.

i'm posting this from the venom's point of view first i'm going to break it down with how i feel vs naked zappa, then how that changes with each summon my anti-air's are the anti airs that god would use...for long range 6H is the shit, mid/close, 6P is the shit, for if you're right on me, 5S© is the shit...imo your putting yourself at risk anytime you jump i'll constantly throw out mid/long range pokes and balls just to make summoning a pain in the ass, my far slash will trade or beat your far slash most of the time, which i am fine with playing against zappa i'm gonna summon S ball all day cuz its the most useful one that you can't run under, if i get a wall of s balls and far slashes going, it forces you to either run in spamming summon hoping you connect, or take to the air, thats my initial gameplan. I'm summoning extra balls whenever available if you start getting reckless, i'm gonna start running trying to net some counterhits if you get careless once I connect, its RTSD mode venom, seeing as zappa doesn't have a reliable wake-up reversal outside of super/raoh, the safest place to be against zappa is right in his face as he's waking up. You're forced to either deal with 1-2 mix-ups, or if i'm willing to sacrifice bar/mix-up, then i will either drain a good chunk of tension or get you to a flashing guard bar. Once I have any amount of guard bar going, frame-trap venom is ready for you to start trying to poke out. Venom's tk overheads are all great ways to deal with zappas low low body and backdash attempts, be careful, but if you can FD these moves specifically, generally that will get you out of pressure. The rest of venom's ball pressure comes in reacting to ball summons and shots. If i end a string in S carcas raid (the slower ball that bounces off the ground) depending on how close I am you can jump out, but don't jump right into the ball or its just going to extend my pressure, risk-free. Mid range, zappa can try to duck it, close range, you can jump it in a best case scenario, or if you were instant blocking. Not much point in FD'ing the balls though if your only goal is to get out of pressure, as FD'ing will just make venom's strings that much more air-tight. If I think I've really gotten you to sit still, I can summon balls mid-string, try to react to it as thats you're cue to move. Pun intended. There's a lot more, but I'm not gonna break apart Venom's entire mix-up game...Watch for teleports though, not that there's always something you can do about it, but block good. With Dog: Fuck dog, if you wake-up with dog, spam 8D and enjoy your get out of jail free card...dog is just annoying, not much char specific stuff here I feel, Venom has a hard time getting out of dog pressure though, abuse it With Sword: Grats, now you beat me in mid-range poking. Max range, even anti-airing zappa becomes difficult. Patience patience patience, if you go for something big, you'll likely give venom an opportunity. Just try to float around that sword tip area and there's not a whole lot venom can do. Just 1-2 hit pokes rack up the damage with the sword, no need to try anything fancy here imo. Under pressure though, it was mentioned how good the sword uppercut was, but venom has a lot of reversal safe oki, and teleport cross-ups can feel somewhat impossible to reliably DP out of. Patience patience patience. Under pressure, FD venom's normals, dont FD (IB if at all possible) his pool balls, and it shouldn't be hard to get to the sword's sweet spot again. With ghost: You are now venom with stronger zoning, but less damage/mix-up. You can outpoke venom from mid because of far-slash, and ghost zoning is better than pool ball zoning if you can hit FRC's and venom doesn't already have a bunch of balls set-up. Use it to your advantage and make venom come to you. With roah: If it wasn't for raoh's 5H i believe, this is actually my favorite summon to deal with. You're on a time limit to hit me so you'll always have to come to me, venom's pool balls eat raoh's big attack, and its not too hard to hit him out of raoh super. He's just as susceptible to anti-airs as naked zappa, yet he has to get within venom's range to really do damage usually. You have to treat this kinda like the sword and ask yourself how badly do you want to get in for a raoh combo. Imo its better to just treat raoh like you're using the sword and take what you can get. Don't force yourself to go for the instant-kill combo of death when you may only be able to net a few long range pokes. also of note, I will PUT MYSELF in the corner against roah just to make you have to go through pool balls to get to me i might post more when i think of it, feel free to move this to zappa v venom or w/e

This is good stuff! Would you mind double posting it in the Venom Matchup thread? I like to keep it all in order and such.