Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

Phantom Breaker (Now coming to arcades)

Eh...

Game looks rather disappointing from a graphical stand point (the direction is nice but the animation is...yeah) also the gameplay looks pretty bare minimum with the most intriguing thing being a counter burst system apparently. Looks like this'll turn out like KoF XII.

What I want to know is why the game is fucking 8k yen.

lol dat economy (although I'm wouldn't think of getting the game even if it was on PS3/region free, unless that special edition is amazing...)

Big Sight for the best fighting game stage of 2011!

So, people actually judge the game from a one-minute long camera video? Oh come on. At least wait for some coverage of better quality.

If this comes to the PS3, and there's a Limited Edition box, I'd most likely import even though the gameplay might be terribad.

I'm such a whore for these kind of things. Why? I don't know, damn I feel like Kirino now, seeing as how everybody except me knows that I have a hidden otaku side. :gonk:

It just looks very bland and the animation is kinda wonky but I love the way clashes look :3

Honestly the quality of a fighter can be measured until you actually play it, but I assume it'll be a mediocre affair that will have a small following and easily overshadowed by the dozens of other quality fighters.

But really did people have high hopes for this?

Man, I can understand "bad players not doing anything fancy," but the game just looks inherently shitty because of the fucking looooong hitfreeze/startup/recovery/active frames on a lot of shit. I hope the cabinet is just lagging.

It just looks very bland and the animation is kinda wonky but I love the way clashes look :3

Honestly the quality of a fighter can be measured until you actually play it, but I assume it'll be a mediocre affair that will have a small following and easily overshadowed by the dozens of other quality fighters.

Some people have been like YEHA IM MORE EXCITED FOR THIS THAN AH3 AND BBCS2 AND UMINEKO EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NO GAMEPLAY REASON TO BE EXCITED!!

Well, it has pretty art and designs, so, uh, yeah... But I agree that it's nothing to be surprised or sad about.

My PC hates Youtube for some reason, so does anyone have a mirror for that video?

Wow. This game is a 360 exclusive? I'd import this if it was on ps3, even though I perfer 360 controls for fighters, for the simple fact that if I wanted to play it, i'd have to import a 360. =/

Then again. You guys -are- forgetting an important detail. It is not uncommon for a fighter to suck on the first edition. Melty Blood 1 and Arcana Heart 1 were both lacking, it wasn't until alter editions it attracted a more appealing following.

I, for one, welcome the opportunity to support a fighting franchise since its first edition---even if that first edition is lacking, for 2 reasons.

1.) The obvious: Supporting the developers. You pay them, they make better games, you get happy.

2.) The also obvious: If you play a fighting game since it's first edition---you'll start on the same ground as anybody else. If you joined, say, Arcana Heart 3 without playing 1/2, you'll have a much harder time and there'll be a huge skill gap you need to cross before you start getting good.

Now, back to Phantom Breaker. The game is 8k yen, which translates to roughly 80$ US if you ignore foreign exchange rates (included it's closer to 90$). I checked PlayAsia and the limited edition is 120$. Now, that's a big asking price, but i'm pretty sure it has to do with Japan's economy at the moment, they're suffering due to the high value of the yen at the moment. With that being said, the price isn't exactly their fault.

A problem I do have is with the stages. There seems to be a lack of NPCs in the background. I'm probably being spoiled by BlazBlue, but it's nice to be fighting while there's Hype Dog among others in the background doing whatever it is they're doing. With Phantom Breaker, the background is...just there. Now, there's maybe a month or two before release, and maybe that'll change. I just hope it does.

P.S: There are some new screenshots of the game on Play-Asia, game looks a lot more polished and there are cars driving around in the background in the highway stage.

5bp FINALLY gets it...

Then again. You guys -are- forgetting an important detail. It is not uncommon for a fighter to suck on the first edition. Melty Blood 1 and Arcana Heart 1 were both lacking, it wasn't until alter editions it attracted a more appealing following.

I resent those statements! I was very found of the original Melty Blood and the original Arcana Heart was anything but lacking, and FULL only made the game better (without too many drastic additions)

Honestly the first title can make or break a series, and while I don't expect it to always come out as a blockbuster, it does have to offer me something to keep me coming back, which is what most titles I enjoy to this date have done. Should the game have some hidden sheen to it then I'll gladly look forward to a next game, however sequels aren't guaranteed in this business unless you are willing to take the risk. So it's up to the devs to do their best to impress, which no one can pass until they actually play the game.

Oh and 360 exclusivity is gonna hurt it a bit... (not being a fangirl, but it does limit the exposure)

the powewr of $$$

btw i got intrigued by the game that they are developing with Hideo Kojima

5bp FINALLY gets it...

So it's up to the devs to do their best to impress, which no one can pass until they actually play the game.

Agreed on that. It would be nice to have some sort of demo or some more videos, with the game a little less than 2 months away from release (There are only 3 gameplay videos of this game on youtube, for the 3rd video you have to search the game using it's Japanese title, which you can just copy+paste from the promo vid). This may not be a high profile fighting game, but it's really lame how little coverage we're getting, so it's pretty hard to judge how good this will be based on what little we have. In the videos we do have, the players don't seem to know much about what they're doing as they seemed to just be normal people. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

Oh and 360 exclusivity is gonna hurt it a bit... (not being a fangirl, but it does limit the exposure)

I wouldn't mind 360 exclusivity if the 360 wasn't region locked. I much perfer 360 for fighting games, maybe not for Street Fighter but the controller is a lot more suitable for BlazBlue I found. Again, even if this game isn't that successful, part of me at least wants to try it for myself.

The game doesn't look like it plays bad. The animation is just fucking retarded and there's nothing new/surprising about the gameplay that we can see.

The game doesn't look like it plays bad. The animation is just fucking retarded and there's nothing new/surprising about the gameplay that we can see.

uh did you see how fucking slow everything was

hitfreeze, recovery, just..fucking bad

Usually I'm the type of guy who gives the not so hot games a chance before trying but this is fucking nasty and ugly. If it were any worse I'd call it Shaq-fu the Japan edition.

I can't believe I had hope for it.

uh did you see how fucking slow everything was

hitfreeze, recovery, just..fucking bad

Hitstop was a bit obnoxious visually, but that doesn't really affect the gameplay other than making chains/hitconfirms easier, and things being slow and having big recovery isn't necessarily bad.

I searched on YouTube by it's japanese title, ファントムブレイカー , and found this little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqPQBH7gCmU

It's not much, but the gameplay seems a lot more fast/smooth than it did in the previous video. We won't know for sure until we see a video of the game's final build, however.

OKAY Everyone. Apparantly the first legit pro-skillz match made its way onto the Phantom Breaker website this moment, in which the developers battled some team.

http://5pb.jp/games/phantombreaker/movie/index.html

Unfortunately, i can't get the movie to load =<, if someone can get that pro shiz on youtube i'd be happy