Sign in to follow this  
Spark

[CSE] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

Does anyone know how to play AGAINST haku well?

Like, his general weaknesses, etc.

I have a really hard time aginast this one haku in my area, help?

Sneak him a copy of CT.

Then pick Nu.

Well since it's a mirror match anything he's doing that's giving you trouble you can just do the same thing back and see how they counter it.

He has a ton. Just look up any combo video.

Well, there'll probably be some hop Hotaru or Tsubaki in it, but not like Tsubaki xN.

If you want braindead Mugen:

[Renka(1)-Zan(1) -> gurren -> kishuu] xN

Personal preference:

[Renka(1)-Zan(1) -> Enma -> Tsubaki -> 5c] xN

You use a Tsubaki in that one, but the height is very liberal so you don't need to either hop or TK it. A normal forward jump is sufficient.

What range does Hakumen do best at? I try to keep people at around the end of 5c range. It seems like any closer and everything gets beat out and any farther your moves get easily read.

Medium/Long range is where he excels, but it's best with regards for chip damage and cutting super long range projectiles. But he has a fairly good range game, but not nearly as good as ct's incarnation of him and not nearly as good as say ragna's close range.

^^ His effective range is the mid- to long-range, but his damage comes from the close range, unfortunately (I think they should let 6c link to other stuff on counter like in CT, but I digress).

You have to know which move to use when by experience, since his moves are very spacing-dependent. Poke with A's and B's when close, throw out a C once in a while when the spacing is right. 4c to maybe stagger and get in, or j.C to keep e'm out or corner herd. Every normal has a purpose (except 6b. Fuck 6b. >_>), you just have to be familiar with how they handle.

^^ His effective range is the mid- to long-range, but his damage comes from the close range, unfortunately (I think they should let 6c link to other stuff on counter like in CT, but I digress).

You have to know which move to use when by experience, since his moves are very spacing-dependent. Poke with A's and B's when close, throw out a C once in a while when the spacing is right. 4c to maybe stagger and get in, or j.C to keep e'm out or corner herd. Every normal has a purpose (except 6b. Fuck 6b. >_>), you just have to be familiar with how they handle.

i think 6B is good/ spouts lies.

really it would be a godlike move if it were enma cancelable...

lol lets give it 100% poration and make it utterly useless lol go team!/asw

im mean unless you combo it after usining it as an ainti air but damn, you gotta be good to do that.

Lol nolan is still salty hakumen's close range nerf.

Anyways 6b breaks primers just as Dio says and it provides a chip overhead to make the opponent wary of it, along with it's drive cancel abilities, interesting note you can go into yukikaze and I THINK akumetsu as well with 6b, I was fucking around in training mode (one of the things I do when I'm not studying).

I dunno about you guys but I use it as a high attack occasionally or to guard brake after 6A.

i know i thinks its ok sometimes but its so easy to react to and D canceling it can be baited...its ok but it could have been so much better...;_;

Does anyone else have trouble with Hakumen's D drive?

I find that if I press 5D when the enemy attacks sometimes it does not catch. I don't really get how much of a window he has, since it only works sometimes. Is it supposed to?

Also does his 6D, 4D(?), and 2D have different windows?

Thanks!

Hakumen's drive is fine if you know when to use them:

5D: 5D isn't active immediately, it has a start up of 7 frames (1 frame is 1/60th of a second in this game, so 7*1/60 = aprox. 0.12 secs), so you wouldn't try to react with it to quick moves. Has a 19 frame window. A decent recovery time, 12 frames.

2D & 6D: These are active from frame 1 (immediately), and last 7 frames, so they're quite good for reacting. Poor recovery though, so you're punishable if you miss.

There's no 4D, but there is a j.D, or aerial D. That is also active from the first frame, and lasts 9 frames.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with frame data notations and info. No rush though, do it at your own pace. Hakumen's frame data can be found at http://dustloop.com/guides/bbcs/frameData/hakumen.html

Hope I helped.

Uses for them are that 2/6d are used during your opponents PREDICTABLE blockstrings, never try to counter unless you're sure what they are going to do next. 2d is great for catching ground block strings in the ground, 6d is a fairly good anti air and can catch ground block strings as well. You can to know when to use them.

jd's main use is either an anti air as well, or to catch obvious attacks, jump in's, and finally aerial block strings, it is the best counter now due to its active frames and combo ability. 5d has the most active frames however it's main problem is that you can no longer wonder with it unless you're against rachel due to her fat lying hitbox.

Just a crazy idea Spark, but, any other obvious question that are posed in this thread you can add them in your first post like you did with the enma combo. It would save people time, and dustloop potential space.

Hakumen's drive is fine if you know when to use them:

5D: 5D isn't active immediately, it has a start up of 7 frames (1 frame is 1/60th of a second in this game, so 7*1/60 = aprox. 0.12 secs), so you wouldn't try to react with it to quick moves. Has a 19 frame window. A decent recovery time, 12 frames.

2D & 6D: These are active from frame 1 (immediately), and last 7 frames, so they're quite good for reacting. Poor recovery though, so you're punishable if you miss.

There's no 4D, but there is a j.D, or aerial D. That is also active from the first frame, and lasts 9 frames.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with frame data notations and info. No rush though, do it at your own pace. Hakumen's frame data can be found at http://dustloop.com/guides/bbcs/frameData/hakumen.html

Hope I helped.

Thanks man.

2 and 6 D being active from frame 1 is good to know.

Also I didn't know this game ran at 60fps.

^ Most games these days run at 60fps, especially fighting games.

Lol nolan is still salty hakumen's close range nerf.

Anyways 6b breaks primers just as Dio says and it provides a chip overhead to make the opponent wary of it, along with it's drive cancel abilities, interesting note you can go into yukikaze and I THINK akumetsu as well with 6b, I was fucking around in training mode (one of the things I do when I'm not studying).

I IS MAD SALTY! :mad:

And, please, I understand where you're all coming from, but we have to let 6b go. I remember back in primary school we had a guy whose little brother was "mentally challenged" as the profs kindly put it. So as not to hurt the guy's feelings we all went "he's really smart for a mentally challenged kid!" It's kind of sad, you know? Let's remember 6b in its CT glory, and let it rest in peace, ok? :sad:

As for counters, you use them on reaction or strong yomi, or you don't use them at all. Look at the recovery frames on those, and you'll see why. I can't count the number of times I went for a 2D and my opponent had enough time to jump and land a j.something. Judicious use provides an advantage, but reckless use will get you killed.

Do kishuu after the slash -> 5c or 2c -> whatever. Or just do Yuki -> Shippu if it'll kill e'm. Hasn't changed since CT.

Reminds me that I've been meaning to test Yuki combos for their damage output. I don't think they exceed 5k mid-screen and 6k in the corner.