Sign in to follow this  
Spark

[CSE] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

No one expects you to be a higher-level player when you first start out. Relax, go over things at a reasonable pace until they feel natural, and continue to the next thing.

All characters can be played with a lot of skill, they just have different ways to channel that skill. Playing smart is universal. :eng101:

I'm having a problem using his aerial down A in combos. I just can't seem to dash forward for the second one consistently. Any tips, please?

I'm having a problem using his aerial down A in combos. I just can't seem to dash forward for the second one consistently. Any tips, please?

the timing isnt that hard, keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. Just keep in mind that j.2A is a move that lasts a pretty long time and that you're not dash canceling out of it, you're waiting for the whole thing to be over then dashing after you recover. You should also check the first post it has some tips for haku's BnBs like how to buffer the air dash:

4. You can't airdash after j.2A into another j.2A.

- Just a timing problem. Just hold the second input, like if you were dashing right it would be 6 hold 6 to use advanced input to help you out.

Basically just keep holding forward after inputting the dash and it will come out as long as you havent done it way too early, it only buffers the input for 5 frames though so you still need to have an idea about the timing.

Edited by NeoArtisan

I'm curious how other people perform their super jump from ground 2C to j.2A. Your timing and if you hold down then diagonal up.

2C > 5 > 2 > 9 > j.2A

So basically 2C then let go of stick, go down and then up forward to get the super jump, then j.2A.

2C > 5 > 2 > 9 > j.2A

So basically 2C then let go of stick, go down and then up forward to get the super jump, then j.2A.

If there's any further detail to that, it would be that when you super jump j2a, it's like you're flicking the stick from down to up to down. After the 2c you just need to let it go back to neutral for only a split of a second then you go back down, then up, then back to down. it's pretty tricky, but once you get used to it, performing it is less difficult. But it takes some time getting used to it.

I don't know if my explanation was of any help though :s

I see players go both Air Dash JB and sometimes Air Dash J2C when closing in on the opponent, when do you do which of them?

I am getting close at learning the dustloop now, so I was thinking of improving my neutral game. What to do? : 3

To train blocking I went versus against the computer and my goal was to survive 99 seconds, without attacking or getting into negative.

Only use 4C and JC to win? :o

I see players go both Air Dash JB and sometimes Air Dash J2C when closing in on the opponent, when do you do which of them?

Here's a few ideas, take it with a grain of salt since I haven't played in a while.

AD J.2c is really telegraphed, so make sure you don't use it too often else you'll be eating a lot of anti-airs to the face. Try using it at max range when your opponent is doing stuff besides waiting to anti-air you. AD J.5b isn't as telegraphed and is faster, so you'll probably land those more often than AD J.2c. You can also do deep jump-in J.5b. Just jump up and come down and do J.5b right before you land. That way you can see if they try and anti-air you, in which case you barrier block instead of J.5b. From my experience I feel like you shouldn't do too many AD moves since I just end up getting anti-aired a lot, that could just be me though ┐('~`;)┌ .

No, it is not just you.

BlazBlue was my first real fighting game, and I quite quickly decided to go for Hakumen. My friend who introduced me to the game said "while you can't run, but you have a good air dash", so since then I really only air dash all the time. xD

Which is why I try to learn neutral game, using high-jumps and double jumps (!), because I always get hit when I air dash. xD

No, it is not just you.

BlazBlue was my first real fighting game, and I quite quickly decided to go for Hakumen. My friend who introduced me to the game said "while you can't run, but you have a good air dash", so since then I really only air dash all the time. xD

Which is why I try to learn neutral game, using high-jumps and double jumps (!), because I always get hit when I air dash. xD

Ha ha ha, same here \(^∀^)メ(^∀^)ノ . Blazblue is my first real fighting game as well, looking to expand to Melty Blood when it comes out on PC though.

Here's something that I've noticed, if you don't spam/mindlessly use J.5b you can use it quite a lot when you're jumping. Rising J.5b and staggered falling J.5b (J.5b at peak height that will hit -> delayed/deep J.5b) seem to work quite well. I get the feeling that people are more scared of J.5b than J.2c, when you're just jumping, because it's faster than J.2c .

Also, hopping isn't too bad, just don't do too many consecutive hops or else you'll get punished. Probably hopping once every now and then to close the distance is fine, when you're both at neutral that is. A good way to make someone respect your hops is to hop twice, but cancel the second hop into Hotaru. As with all things though, don't do it too often lest you become predictable (PREDICTABO ... m(_ _)m sorry, had to). Kishuu also isn't too bad of a movement option, it's quite fast and dodges some stuff (will dodge more stuff in Extend).

I found an easier way to tigerknee the day before yesterday (well, at least for me); I go 21478 to ensure I get "up". It really feels like the 7 and 9 on the 360 D-pad is very small zones compared to 4, 8 and 6 >_>

My game right now is probably quite predictable, if I get to four magatama I will use it for Yukikaze no matter what and if there is any space between me and the opponent I will air dash. >_>

Well, that is about to change! >: D

I try to use Kishuu a lot more, but I for some reason I have problem with the input, but not with Atomic Collider? ._.

When you feel like a troll, you can just start hopping against someone instead of pressuring, and hotaru in either the 2nd or 3rd hop depending on how scared you think they are. It gets me FC hotarus 80% of the time when they try to jab out.

Total troll move.

I usually troll with Emma>Air Grab, because I have yet to learn to do step cancels consistently.

despite all in all of the learning process. if you want to get better its best to set a limitation regiment for yourself. on top of the fact if you do want to get better -stop trolling- just try to be as serious as you can if you can. dont be too serious or youll just anger/frustrate yourself. but concentrate enough to learn the timings.

to gain the muscle memory you need to sonsistently land the starters and actually do these combos in game requires you to let go of some of your old tactics and learn better solid tactics.

and fight vs training dummy and humans. not saying you do it 24/7 but as a beginner you are where i once was. after you get it all down then you can choose where you want to be if you arent already where you want to be.

[When I troll] I usually troll with Emma>Air Grab

I only troll when I have been playing with my friends for several hours, so no need to worry. : 3

Yesterday, I had quite the success at the dustloop in training (at least facing right), so we will see how I do when I get to play my friends again. : D

i recently started playing haku alot more lately, and i was gonna ask, is it wise to command dash past some who's air dashing over you if you're in the corner? cuz i tried it and got a meaty 5C corner combo off of it but it didnt work out well other times...thoughts? you guys know more about haku than i do so i was just curious.

That sounds situational since it depends on the opponent. It's always the best option to play it safe and block high but the scenario you present sounds like something that happens when an opponent drops a combo/or doing an instant overhead/cross up setup so I guess you could Kishuu under them if you can do it by reaction.

If somebody is air dashing in while attacking, you might be able to get away with it since Kishuu does have head attribute invincibility. That and they're air dashing towards you and you're dashing towards them, so if you time it right you might be able to cross under them. You probably shouldn't try it if they're doing a deep jump in though, I get the feeling it might be less likely to work in that case.

Also I'm not sure you'd want to cross under them and then go to 5c. Might be better just to cross under them and go back to neutral, feels safer. Then again if you're on top of your game, you might be able to do some crazy situation reversal.

If you're going to spend two stars against an air dash, why not just do Hotaru.

yeah, true. thanks for the advice! im still kinda scrubby with haku at the moment but i am* getting better at his more sizeable combos. for now i can do about 3k as my maximum. so sad compared to cs1 "xs

3k is all you're gonna get midscreen, unless you do airdash tsubaki stuff in the middle of it. you want to get higher stuff in the corner though.

Can't you get zantetsu to do 4k+ midscreen?

Granted it costs you 4-5 stars.

Edited by A.X.I.S.