Sign in to follow this  
Spark

[CSE] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

wtv=whatever.

You seem new, if would like personal hands on help on learning hakumen I would suggest messaging either Spark, mAc, or myself since we're the ones who are on dustloop the most and in depth knowledge on hakumen (with Spark obviously having the most).

It feels weird for you to stay that. :P I still think of myself as a CT scrub. But then again I think I can beat anyone if I have enough time.

Edited by mAc Chaos

Nothing I said I'm ashamed of lol. There's other good/decent hakumen players here (Nolan, Sans, Walljump for instance), but they're not on dustloop as much as you and me.

Just a warning, you guys are opening a pandoras box. I have literally zero depth when it comes to knowledge and play Hakumen because of how I pick all my character in any fighting game. He looks badass, and I like samurai. I am very new to the actual fighting game scene with my experience consisting of watching streams and rushing into online to learn how to play. Evident by my forum posts on the matchup threads. I really do want BlazBlue to be my first actual fighting game I sink my hours into . My thirst for knowledge and desire to be better are outmatched only my lack of knowledge and "srub" tactics when it comes to play. If you guys are okay with all this then I would like to message. I just don't feel that I want to bombard someone with questions that they have to spend time on answering. Just let me know what I should do, and I'm good to go!

Ask away.

It's not like you have to PM a specific person anyway. You can just post here or in general discussion and then we'll all see it.

I am a very impatient person, how did you guys become patient playing Hakumen. I feel it is a necessary skill to have, and what I would like to know is how did you guys develop it? mAc Chaos do you find yourself forcing yourself to be patient even when you RTSD?

Fighting games are all about tempo, every character (and character type have their own tempo). Instant Air dashing into your opponent everytime you want to get in close and hit buttons will not get you anywhere. For example tager and any grappler in any fighter wants you up close so that they can force you into situations where you have to guess while blocking to avoid command grabs. So in these types of cases, if you watch high level play a lot, hakumen players tend to burst after they get command grabbed by tager and are about to eat another command grab on wakeup. That is what controlling tempo is about, because that pushes away tager.

Hakumen is the only character in the game whose tempo is when nothing happens, why? Because he is constantly gaining meter and in csex he has a lot of options especially with meter to make something happen and get in close on his terms no matter who the opponent is. You can literally just sit there and build stars and as long as you're patient and not passive, some players are too passive with hakumen, you can destroy your opponent in like a combo or two.

Rewatching your matches and comparing them to japanese players and other really strong player helps a lot. It helps you learn where/when you should be patient and when you can/should punish certain things and what you can punish things with besides hakumens counters.

It takes time to develop patience, since hakumen isn't about "going in there and pressing buttons furiously" like some characters/fighting games.

If you can get replays up and post them in the hakumen critique thread then we can give you better hands on advice.

I am a very impatient person, how did you guys become patient playing Hakumen. I feel it is a necessary skill to have, and what I would like to know is how did you guys develop it? mAc Chaos do you find yourself forcing yourself to be patient even when you RTSD?

It's not about patience or impatience. It's moving when you have an opening. If it takes 60 seconds of blocking, poking and moving around to make your way in, then you will have to take the 60 seconds. If you can make an opening in 10 seconds then 10 is fine.

But you might as well call that patience. It's developed by necessity because if you just run in there against Lambda or someone else they're going to destroy you. You have to be ready for very specific times and moments to make your move. But you'll only acquire the feeling and knowledge of that through experience, so don't get too obsessed with finding the perfect moments.

Hello, I'm new to bb and I have a few noob questions to ask

-I've been practicing this: 5c>renka(1)>gurren>ad>j.B>j.A>5C>2c>j.b...etc but I can't make the 5C after j.A connect like in a combo video I saw. Is there some kind of delay or timing that my noob eyes couldn't see?

-Is it worth it to use 1 extra star for an extra 300 dam?

Edited by Bluddy

When faced with the option to either normal air grab someone or Hotaru them which one would you choose and why? I know Hotaru is probably the better the option, but I'm curious does his air grab allow for anything afterwards?

What are his tick throws? I know 5A works at most 2As leading to the throw, then there is either j.B if done low enough or sometimes cross up j.B. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Edited by shinobispectre

Air throw can be comboed of most heights. If you are high up use J2C, if low JB.

JT > JB/J2C > 5C > whatever.

Air throw is also special cancelable, so near corner you can cancel it before the third hit to Tsubaki and get good damage I think. Probably similar with Hotaru.

There's three heights for throws. Isuna covered the first two.

If you're high, it's a j.2C combo. If you're somewhat low, it's a jB combo.

But if you're really low, you can actually land and pick them up with 2B before they can get up. This is low enough that j.B won't even come out in time.

When faced with the option to either normal air grab someone or Hotaru them which one would you choose and why? I know Hotaru is probably the better the option, but I'm curious does his air grab allow for anything afterwards?

What are his tick throws? I know 5A works at most 2As leading to the throw, then there is either j.B if done low enough or sometimes cross up j.B. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Hotaru is good if you're in a position to follow up on it. If you're way too high then you just use 2 stars and bat them away. Air grab lets you do free starless combos in the corner.

Hello, I'm new to bb and I have a few noob questions to ask

-I've been practicing this: 5c>renka(1)>gurren>ad>j.B>j.A>5C>2c>j.b...etc but I can't make the 5C after j.A connect like in a combo video I saw. Is there some kind of delay or timing that my noob eyes couldn't see?

-Is it worth it to use 1 extra star for an extra 300 dam?

It depends on the context, star wise. Usually you want go by the rule of thumb that 1 star = 1000 damage. So a 3 star combo that does 3k is passable, but if it does 4k that's good.

Someone else will have to answer that combo question as I don't do that one.

Edited by mAc Chaos

I would also like to add it's best to do 5b as opposed to 2c in any of the air grab combos, if 2c whiffs that's a huge momentum change since 2c is wildly unsafe on block and if you don't space your air grab combo properly and have 2c whiff you're in trouble.

Both jb and j2c combo into 5b, and from there you can go into jb>stuff.

What's the general strategy versus heavily ranged characters like Mu or Lambda/Nu? I know when I lose a match against most characters why I messed up, but I just have no idea what to do with these two.

Generally the wiki offers a clean streamlined guide for people just starting out, and the combo thread offers more comprehensive stuff and all the extra things people post.