Sign in to follow this  
Spark

[CSE] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

Right now I would like general tips for him. Best pressuring normals (I'm guessing 2A and 5A), best way to get out of pressure without a burst, good pressure strings, and good ways of getting in. I kind of fall into autopilot airdash to opponent to catch them with j.2A, jB, or j.2C (Though I'm gettin gout of the j.2C habit). Also, right now, which is better, using 2D or 6D when trying to catch someone during their pressure and I have a window?

One of my worst problems in the fights was my own inexperience and the other player zipping around everywhere. Looked like Taokaka in Bang skin the way he was all over the place.

Player's name was Dreikoo, in case anyone's played them.

Your pressure sucks, plain and simple; the best tools you have are 2A, 2B, and Gurren which are all plus on block. But, we work with what we got so just try learning to tick throw and if you're opponent is blocking low a lot, 6B.

For getting out of pressure, you have Counter Assault. It costs 50% of your meter, but that's not much of an issue with Hakumen. Like psyco said, learn to IB and then see if you can mash 2A/5A to disrupt the opponent.

Using 6D/2D requires to you learn to react to your opponent's moves, which can be a little difficult if you aren't used to that type of stuff. They're generally used as a wakeup option for avoid oki along with Yukikaze, but don't get predictable and spam it.

In terms of movement, you have Kishuu and IAD, and your hop. While you're in the air, you also have Hotaru to smack your opponent with, also J.C for pushing them back.

you need new material.

it's not even BBCP yet.. I need old material...

I don't think I've ever seen a Hakumen use counter assault. Most just go between TK hotaru, drives, throws, 3c, maybe kishuu on wakeup. neutral techs, some quick wakeups.

mashing drive willy nilly is not so good. Rather than just 'making a read', you should be looking for the places where it has the best chance of succeeding, that is, situations. wakeup would be the case where it has the worst chance of succeeding, since it's always expected, and you're straight up playing the games of odds.

finally 3c mash is godlike.

I've had lots of PSN Haku (XBL Haku never CA) use counter assault against me. I always forget that Haku has that option though.

His previous CA was just a 6D, except you had to actually land that too. It was pretty terrible.

His current one is a 6A style move, which doesn't even have the advantage the 6D one did. At least with the 6D one you could do it during things like Nu's sword machine gun super. If you tried the 6A one you just get hit.

And it costs 4 stars to boot. If he had nothing then it would be used more but he already has counters.

Also Hakumen's moves are not bad. If you focus on his pressure, defined solely as keeping somebody in blockstun, then it's bad. And that part is. But the wider array of options on offense are still pretty good.

If you focus on his pressure, defined solely as keeping somebody in blockstun, then it's bad.

The problem I'm running into here is that everyone I fight mashes through the first gap they get and now I'm getting counter hit and corner carried again.

Things like j.2C on block or hit(non counter hit) as I'm landing are the worst. Although now that I think about that if I know they're gonna try and hit me as I land I might stick a 6D in there and see what happens.

Also, because of this, I'm never able to extend any sort of pressure with a hop into a grab or a few more attacks. The second I try to hop or kishuu, the mashing happens.

I'm trying to get into a better habit of adding things like Renka and Zantetsu to my block strings, but I'm usually working to get in on them by the time I have meter to do something of the sort.

You aren't supposed to try and do anything offense wise until you've built up 3-4 stars. Hakumen without stars is like trying to win a race in a car without gas.

Or Carl without Ada.

2A 2A 2B

2A 6A 6B

2A 2B Kishuu grab

variations of 2A and 2B

Doing my best to quit ending block strings with 3C like you said.

OK. Your next step is to use your specials for frame traps. Next time you think they are going to try and mash out, use Renka instead and you'll catch them.

it's not even BBCP yet.. I need old material...

I don't think I've ever seen a Hakumen use counter assault. Most just go between TK hotaru, drives, throws, 3c, maybe kishuu on wakeup. neutral techs, some quick wakeups.

mashing drive willy nilly is not so good. Rather than just 'making a read', you should be looking for the places where it has the best chance of succeeding, that is, situations. wakeup would be the case where it has the worst chance of succeeding, since it's always expected, and you're straight up playing the games of odds.

finally 3c mash is godlike.

the place where it has the best chance of succeeding is still a read and still a gamble. no matter how you word it, reword or re define using hakumens drive on a read is still taking a gamble the the enemy has to follow through with.

like for example when we fight i use 5D pretty often on you mid screen and too many times it has landed but im still taking a gamble that could end up seriously skewed (read fatal countered) in your favor. highest chance doesnt exist, theres just a chance.

Well, it's not a gamble if you just do it when they throw out a move like Tager 6C. Then it's just gauranteed, it's not like he can stop it from coming out. Provided your reactions work. (pssst mine don't)

Well, it's not a gamble if you just do it when they throw out a move like Tager 6C. Then it's just gauranteed, it's not like he can stop it from coming out. Provided your reactions work. (pssst mine don't)

of course that would work given your reaction speed is up there. but then raises the question of why they would be dumb enough to do that.

but i see your point.

the place where it has the best chance of succeeding is still a read and still a gamble. no matter how you word it, reword or re define using hakumens drive on a read is still taking a gamble the the enemy has to follow through with.

like for example when we fight i use 5D pretty often on you mid screen and too many times it has landed but im still taking a gamble that could end up seriously skewed (read fatal countered) in your favor. highest chance doesnt exist, theres just a chance.

I lol'd. Nothing ends up skewed seriously in my favor in that matchup. a fatal counter nets me barely more than you get off a drive.

I am saying that it is a move like any other. if I want to use 2c to anti-air, I try to recognize situations where it will work. If I'm going to try to 2c a jump in, it can be baited and punished. You can put drives in places that it is awkward and difficult for the opponent to bait, too. anti-airing crossups with 5d, or hitting 5d after you come down from a jump and you're out of position is that. Sure, either of those can be punished, but the window can be very small and difficult - it absolutely has to be called out. 5d recovers hella fast. I have to take on a huge amount of risk to actually punish it, and the matchup can end up silly, from the use of tsubaki's 3c vs hakumen's 5d.

Almost every matchup I have against people ends up silly. It always ends with the other person having to do ridiculous things they never would.

5D is good because it has a longer active time. So I can start it up earlier, knowing that I can still catch your move with the very end of it. And if you don't do anything, since I timed it to be the end of the counter, I will be on the very end of the recovery, which maximizes my chance of escaping unscathed.

I lol'd. Nothing ends up skewed seriously in my favor in that matchup. a fatal counter nets me barely more than you get off a drive.

I am saying that it is a move like any other. if I want to use 2c to anti-air, I try to recognize situations where it will work. If I'm going to try to 2c a jump in, it can be baited and punished. You can put drives in places that it is awkward and difficult for the opponent to bait, too. anti-airing crossups with 5d, or hitting 5d after you come down from a jump and you're out of position is that. Sure, either of those can be punished, but the window can be very small and difficult - it absolutely has to be called out. 5d recovers hella fast. I have to take on a huge amount of risk to actually punish it, and the matchup can end up silly, from the use of tsubaki's 3c vs hakumen's 5d.

depends if we are arguind practicality vs damage in any given situation, usually ill only get like 2.5k off 5D. whereas ive been hit with 5k from you for a bad call.

get ff14 you douche and play with me.

also im importing cp so get on that too.

depends if we are arguind practicality vs damage in any given situation, usually ill only get like 2.5k off 5D. whereas ive been hit with 5k from you for a bad call.

get ff14 you douche and play with me.

also im importing cp so get on that too.

i can also get hit for 6k if you press 3c,5c,6c,2c, etc when I try to call out 5d with 3c. that one option can be punished for more than it does, if I have charge and 50 heat to burn and you don't have a burst. but when you look at all of the options and the damage they do?

I won't be getting on FF14. I'm already importing CP. Looking forward to dying in 1 combo.

You and Blade will need to experiment for new combos, and record stuff if you can.

i can also get hit for 6k if you press 3c,5c,6c,2c, etc when I try to call out 5d with 3c. that one option can be punished for more than it does, if I have charge and 50 heat to burn and you don't have a burst. but when you look at all of the options and the damage they do?

I won't be getting on FF14. I'm already importing CP. Looking forward to dying in 1 combo.

considering i wouldnt waste those kind of stars mid screen just to do 6k and waste my resources, you most likely wont see that happen.

unless you get hit with renka in the corner and i have 5 stars to start that situation.

also note i said fatal meaning you hit me during my counter hit frames.

now trying to call out drive mid screen is just crazy, unless someone mashes it constantly.

also im glad you look forward to dying to kagura, killing you with hakumen gets boring sometimes.

considering i wouldnt waste those kind of stars mid screen just to do 6k and waste my resources, you most likely wont see that happen.

unless you get hit with renka in the corner and i have 5 stars to start that situation.

also note i said fatal meaning you hit me during my counter hit frames.

now trying to call out drive mid screen is just crazy, unless someone mashes it constantly.

also im glad you look forward to dying to kagura, killing you with hakumen gets boring sometimes.

'waste'. When I get the chance to spend 5 charge and 100 heat to do 7k damage I take it. Besides you get what, like 3.5k midscreen with 1 star?

Anyway, I've been playing mac so I call out drive mid screen, in the corner, when I'm in the corner, when I'm in the air, when he's in the air, etc.

cant even imagine mac using drive that much

OH MY GOD

edit: seriously though, you've never watched/played mAc in any matchup but the mirror? he presses D like it's his only button

Edited by Mucky

OH MY GOD

edit: seriously though, you've never watched/played mAc in any matchup but the mirror? he presses D like it's his only button

if only you could counter counters

Haku can astral them. :v:

Psyco just has to play me more.

Actually wait. They are blockable in CP. That means you might be able to counter them.

Edited by mAc Chaos