Sign in to follow this  
Spark

[CSE] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

That's the secret. :v:

Want to play some matches?

We will figure out his BnBs later and go from there.

That's the secret. :v:

Want to play some matches?

We will figure out his BnBs later and go from there.

gimme a bit me and my free company are about to take on Garuda.

Okay. Just wondering about the time. I will be up late. I'm in Maryland currently.

What are good strings/frame traps to deal with people who barrier > upback?

Hotaru in the corner. That will re-ground them to reset pressure.

Or 5B>j.A>j.B>ect till they land to reset pressure.

Another option is to 2B them. If they try to jump they will get caught and you won't have to use any stars.

Hakumen is more susceptible than other characters against upbacking though.

What should I be doing vs Arakune? Like, what are my options at match start other than sitting still and letting him start curse pressure, attempt rushdown and getting fatal, or going for J.C and what should I be doing to scare the Arakune player?

Not using any info (lack of experience) before fighting him, on the fly, I learnt some of the stuff I can cut and of course the stuff I can't cut (the cloud T_T). When cloud is over my head I fell like I can't do anything beside go rush him which results in fatals, blocking or Arakune going for a mix up before I make a move. I tried watching Arakune vids but the way those players play are much different than my experience vs Arakune. Those Arakune players don't go ham like netplay Arakune. I'm not saying the netplay player is bad at all, just that he wasn't afraid of anything I threw at him. What is it that the Pro Haku player know that make Arakune stop and think before throwing something out? To be honest, I'm doing too much blocking and not enough attacking, which of course is bad in fighting games.

how things normally go vs Arakune. Also I'm still a new Haku ^^;

Match Start

- I choose to rush or sit for meter

Rush = beware of the fatal counter when air dashing > using my 1 Orb to get in and go for 2A 5B/2B 6A pressure hoping that he press a button.

even if I get the hit I have no Orbs to do any good damage.

Sit = he starts the curse pressure > focus on cutting stuff > try not to sit for too long > seems like I'm giving Arakune everything he needs to get a hit. > watch out for the underground move > watch out the thingy that pops outta the ground near my feet > watch out the cloud! > watch out for the easy to see overhead( I finally stop getting hit by it) > tech the grab! > and don't forget the air attack that I'm not even sure is a cross up.

no matter which option I choose I feel like I'm on defense 24/7. I don't feel like I can stay on offense at all. Getting a lucky D counter or a high damage starter, I do finish my combos only to get hit by wake up super T_T or resetting back to neutral. I have learned to bait that kind of stuff, though >_>

judging from my experience, am I headed in the right direction? is this how everyone felt when they first started?

Edited by - Stasis -

My matchups against Arakune and carl are bad as well.

I have a question, how does one do that Hotaru right after recovering on that ground? Like is it a quick recover and you have to do the Hotaru while still in the air or what?

Edited by Solless

My matchups against Arakune and carl are bad as well.

I have a question, how does one do that Hotaru right after recovering on that ground? Like is it a quick recover and you have to do the Hotaru while still in the air or what?

You mean after wake up or air blocking?

The former, I just TK it. The latter, I guess you have to throw out the input as soon as you touch the ground.

Well, from my experience with Biscuits, countering forces him to back off and play a very defensive zoning game. Every time he tried to go HAM with j.B he'd just end up raging because he'd get caught by D.

Arakune is always tough. One mistake and you're in a bad situation. You have to play defensively offensive, constantly pushing forward and getting ready to move in the moment you see an opening. Don't just sit there and let him set up clouds, you will die. Jump over them, Kishuu under them, whatever you have to do to keep moving forward.

As for TK Hotaru, you just do 2147B.

Against arakune I suggest lots of forward high jump j.2As while at full screen because it protects all options from fullscreen. (for approach)

Just don't do it from any closer. The reason for doing it fullscreen is because it barely nicks bell-bug for a void.

And lots of 623A to approach. Love that projectile invul.

You mean after wake up or air blocking?

The former, I just TK it. The latter, I guess you have to throw out the input as soon as you touch the ground.

I know about the TK motion. But sometimes I see Hakumen players do a wakeup and flash white, and then before they even touch the ground they fire off a Hotaru. Or maybe it happens so fast that the videos I see have the players TKing incredibly fast. That's where I need clarification.

that could possibly because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2GO3LHIT9A vs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSpfYm-AJks

the first hotaru, which is "perfect," hakumen lands much faster than in the 2nd video, where the hotaru comes out late. also, in training mode, for some reason you can't get the "perfect" hotaru without actually counterhitting something (ie, setting it to force counterhit will always result in the imperfect one.)

it is not possible to do a hotaru before landing after a tech. however, when done properly, it can come out fast enough that it can be hard to catch or easy to mistake.

image displaying the difference in this concept (where the left is "perfect" and the right "imperfect"):

post-24827-13951517659_thumb.jpg

you can do the "perfect" hotaru where you land quickly off of a neutral tech if you do it in the proper 4 frames. i'm unsure if it actually requires a counter hit or not in live play, but for some reason it behaves stangely in training mode as i suggested. i want to say I have gotten some of the TK Hotarus in live play where you land quickly without a counterhit, but I don't exactly have any evidence. it should always do that on counter hits, however (assuming you actually got it off in 4 frames.)

as far as I'm aware, TKing it or doing it towards the end of a forward hop is required for getting the quick landing, which in turn makes the followup combo far easier.

i haven't messed with it in a long time in training mode, but I explicitly remember it's very difficult to impossible to get it off correctly in training mode without actively inputting a command for the opponent like in the first video, which was my main point in any case. though I'm not sure if it had any bearing on what the poster above me was trying to talk about.

I'll have to try it in training mode, but that "non-perfect" Hotaru just looks like they were TKing it slow.