Sign in to follow this  
Spark

[CSE] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

When i start a match is there specific things to do verse certain characters?

Jump back barrier is usually the safest option for match starter.

You poke or go aggressive when you think you know what the player is going to do; it has more to do with your strategy than matchups, though you do have to take into account what each character can do. Using your example, if you think your poke will hit litchi, then go ahead, but do remember that her low poke is not only faster, it dodges your 4C.

There's never a completely safe option, but there are some really safe ones, like 3C for Tager.

I have a quick question about inputing hop Hotaru/Tsubaki. I understand how it's done, but I have trouble actually doing it, especially in a match. I am usually only able to do it facing right too, I guess the input is just easier for my hands to execute.

Any tips for doing it more consistently? Especially for facing left, idk why it's so difficult for me to do. Maybe I'm like Zoolander :psyduck:

I have a quick question about inputing hop Hotaru/Tsubaki. I understand how it's done, but I have trouble actually doing it, especially in a match. I am usually only able to do it facing right too, I guess the input is just easier for my hands to execute.

Any tips for doing it more consistently? Especially for facing left, idk why it's so difficult for me to do. Maybe I'm like Zoolander :psyduck:

just practice until you can do it. i mean I have issues facing the left side sometimes as well but usually if you stay at it in training mode practicing on both sides it becomes easier. don't give up or think it's impossible just keep practicing and you'll get it down, trust me ^_^

you could also try changing the way you hold the controller/stick. It means you have to re-learn everything else, too; but if you can't do hop cancel well, you're not utilizing a big arsenal of Hakumen's strength. Either way you're going to need practicing.

i think he meant holding it differently for P2 Side. more or less it's finding a grip that's comfortable and allows you to do your stuff relatively easy(well as easy as they can get anyways.)

Go into training mode against ragna, set them on the highest difficulty possible, set heat and life gauge default for that of the beginning of a round. And put yourself in situations under pressure form the comp and use it either as tk or hop. Go out of your way to use to and learn to combo from both moves, if you can tk/hop hotaru you can do it with tsubaki.

But first learn to do it without pressure first, you can do something under pressure if you can't even do it in a relaxed setting.

When canceling 2c into a super jump do i have to put the stick back to neutral then go down up (2c>5>28) or can i just go straight from 2c to the SJC(2c>8)?

Well, that's true. Just so long as it doesn't stay in the 2 position it should work. I just do 2C, let go of the control stick real quick then super jump.

EDIT: Btw, has anyone started to use 6D a lot more in preparation for CSII? I've been trying to do it a little more.

Edited by Warhound

^I've always have been using 6D. j.D even more (using as in not D spamming) and was annoyed when I found out its uncomboable for the most part of it. But after hearing you gain a meter from just landing it as well as it giving some amount of damage, I guess it's a good trade although I WILL miss j.D 5C 5C combos A LOT (and 6D mugen).

Edit : Too bad it doesn't gain meter from projectiles. Cutting it still gives meter right?

Edited by itsme

I don't think you ever gained meter from cutting projectiles in CS. CT I'm pretty sure you got a star back for doing it.

Cutting doesn't give you meter "directly" anymore. By this I mean, when you cut projectiles now creates a void which you can sit in a build meter. So in an "indirect" sense it does give meter.

hi everyone :) I just regestered today although I have been reading here since bbct release :P , I learned a lot from your discussions

……

I got a question : Is there any reason to use back hop hotaru and tsubaki ?

The only thing i can think of trying to use back hop hotaru is if you predict a bang/ragna/hazama j.B cross ups and you backdash predicting it and Hotaru.

Or maybe that won't work and I'm just a scrub?

I gotta wonder something. When Haku is Astral-able and has the flashing icon at the top and whatnot. Does that put you at a psychological advantage, if you play it right? Because I'm sure the opponent will think you're fixing to Astral them, and they'll be much more cautious with their approach.

Most characters can just combo into it though. Hakumen's obviously doesn't and there is the worry of wake-up Astral, and they might back off because of that. Psychologically, that would be in the Hakumen's favor, considering he doesn't waste his time trying to do nothing but Astral.

After watching a huge load of Hakumen matches and videos online, I need a question to be answered. Do people not use his drives because its not worth it from the proration or is it because the risk is too high for the reward? Also, do you guys think that most of the top players seen in many videos getting hit by overheads due to going for a mistimed 6D, or just because mistiming IB/plainly getting caught? I've been using Hakumen's drive intensively and was wondering whats up with the lack of Hakumen's drives.

Edit: Or maybe because they want to keep it as a surprise because after one counter, the opponent will be more cautious of their moves?

After watching a huge load of Hakumen matches and videos online, I need a question to be answered. Do people not use his drives because its not worth it from the proration or is it because the risk is too high for the reward? Also, do you guys think that most of the top players seen in many videos getting hit by overheads due to going for a mistimed 6D, or just because mistiming IB/plainly getting caught? I've been using Hakumen's drive intensively and was wondering whats up with the lack of Hakumen's drives.

Edit: Or maybe because they want to keep it as a surprise because after one counter, the opponent will be more cautious of their moves?

You really want to just try D countering only guaranteed stuff; attacks you know are coming, especially ones in which the opponent is committed to once they throw out the move. So I suppose in a way, yes, that does play a bit of psychological warfare on the opponent if you're essentially consistently D countering and punishing "everything they do" so to speak. Seriously, something like burst baiting and D countering that junk into a huge combo (or death) will put a little fright into anyone.

It doesn't pay to guess and continually fish for a counter because as you expect, you run the risk of getting all the counterhit penalties that stem from it. Ya want to get the point where you can at least anticipate certain attacks and D counter only those, anything less than (almost) certain just doesn't pay.

Edited by Shin ATproof

A good player will adapt to your use of counters and will bait them and make you pay for using them.

The risk reward isn't worth it and they do less damage than before.

Not that I let that stop me. :toot: They didn't use them much in CT either.

Actually, I disagree that they never get used. I believe they actually use the counters MORE in CS. At least, j.D. In CT I would pretty much never see counters unless it was something like countering Nu's 4D but in CS I see at least one j.D combo every now and then.

If you enjoy using them though, just be mindful about it. I use them because I enjoy that aspect of his character.

Edited by mAc Chaos