Sign in to follow this  
Blade

Issues with Challenge Mode combos and the System (and adjusting BNBs accordingly)

I hate Jin's mission 8, fuck. That. SHIT. 623C counter>dash5B..... WTF?!!! I swear.... it's not possible, on normal hit the enemy can tech BEFORE you recover, and CH doesn't add much, plus a dash... the frame math is retarded....

Haha. I've seen this combo irl, man. Practice, practice!

Haha. I've seen this combo irl, man. Practice, practice!

I'm sure it's possible.... but it's stupid difficult for pickup off a 50p1 attack....

I think you can start moving after he sheaths his sword (listen for it).

I do, but it's like a 10 frame link with a 7 frame attack, throw in the dash..... and fuck it, go tomission. overall I suck at challenge mode.... I don't know why, I fuck up combos I never normally drop, and YOU HAVE TO DO THE SUPER JUMP, but I don't need to.... why the superfluous command? and they don't stay on one air combo for Jin.... so it's annoying to practice JB>JC>J2C only to see it want you to do SJC>J2C>J2C>JD, well now I have to override the muscle memory thanks. I guess I'm just not a tactile learner....

I have to say even though some of bang's challenges are impractical(throw then nail cancel into a combo, when i am i ever gonna do that?) I learn alot about timings and properties of some of the moves(throw in to daifunka does 5000+? where have you been all my life?). I still need to get use to his new j.4C and mastering his 5A and 2A and the mode does help with that. Tsubaki's as of now is impossible to me due to super jump cancel.

Even though I'm a complete scrub (can't even get past level 3 challenges on most of the characters) I still get the feeling that little by little, I am becoming better with the character. While some of the combos are impractical, they build up a general muscle in both your hands and your brain as to how a character should move. Just keep on working and I'm sure that you'll see that they really helped improve your execution and overall game.

I do, but it's like a 10 frame link with a 7 frame attack, throw in the dash..... and fuck it, go tomission. overall I suck at challenge mode.... I don't know why, I fuck up combos I never normally drop, and YOU HAVE TO DO THE SUPER JUMP, but I don't need to.... why the superfluous command? and they don't stay on one air combo for Jin.... so it's annoying to practice JB>JC>J2C only to see it want you to do SJC>J2C>J2C>JD, well now I have to override the muscle memory thanks. I guess I'm just not a tactile learner....

I know the feeling, it took me a while to get that combo. When Bang starts falling, that's the best visual cue to dash. Once you get WHEN you can move down, the hard part is the air combo, and that's muscle memory like you said.

Tsubaki's as of now is impossible to me due to super jump cancel.

inb4 HOS

but seriously, I don't know why, but whenever I do the challenges with HJC I just fall on my ass, I rarely use them, but I just can't do it consistently.... it's not that tough, but it's just unusual to do.

HJC j.C for Tsubaki is a little weird as far as how the hitbox works. I think you might want to hold j.C on the way up in order to hit with it.

I am having trouble doing Lambdas. More because they tell me to use j.d,d, j.2d, d. I usually don't do j.2d,d so I have to relearn my hand inputs. I have done the combo's just fine using 2 j.d,d but doesn't pass the challenge. I do like how they are pretty much what you were supposed to use anyway. Now if I could just get the corner loop down...

lol, i actually got tsubaki's high jump cancel down. I can get it like 95% of the time. The trick is to high jump cancel and press j.c when she is like 1/4-1/2 the distance up. Don't hjc and then press j.c when she's already up there. Press j.c she as she's going up, like right when she has traveled about 1/4 -1/2 the distance between her and her opponent. The j.c takes a while to come out by pressing it between 1/4-1/2 the distance up to the opponent, by the time she gets up there the anination would have already started and she'll hit them right at the hjc height. Hope that helps.

EDIT

Press it right after you hjc. That should also work as well.

I don't know if this will help anyone or if it has been already stated, but you could try inputing the command for the next action of your combo at the start-up animation for your first action and repeat. I am finding that the game still reads the commands properly and your character performs the next action.

Also, someonne mentioned half circles and (double) quarter circles on D-Pad. Take it slow and patiently input the command(s). Let's say you were in the middle of a mix-up and then wanted to finish with a DD. Basically, take your time and input the command for the DD during the last mix-up animaton you're in before you plan on using the DD. Make sure you properly make the motion, it should come out. There's plenty of time to do it.

If youre being observant, challenge mode can give you a really good sense of a character's comboability. If you can take bits and pieces of combos that you learned from challenge mode and apply them in other situations, and get a rough idea of what you can do for max damage / best oki possible.

I have to say even though some of bang's challenges are impractical(throw then nail cancel into a combo, when i am i ever gonna do that?) I learn alot about timings and properties of some of the moves(throw in to daifunka does 5000+? where have you been all my life?). I still need to get use to his new j.4C and mastering his 5A and 2A and the mode does help with that. Tsubaki's as of now is impossible to me due to super jump cancel.

You do see the Japanese pros do B nail cancels on throws. Nezu comes to mind - he uses it to to get seals for FRKZ on throws. I think you also need to nail cancel for the dash -> 3C after throw?

Also, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It's not like a bunch of 1-frame links, though the timing on the cancel takes a little getting used to. And it nets you more damage and oki.

And unfortunately, super jump cancels are pretty important for Tsubaki for stuff like 6CC -> HJC <air combo finisher>. Ragna, too. He has to HJC on most of his launchers to properly combo Belial Edge.

I'm terrible with inputs and having trouble with it myself ><

For some odd reason I can't seem to do Noel's challenge 9. Everything would go well until I get to the j.D -> 6D -> 236D. For some reason Bang techs before I can mash out 6D, and I can't seem to figure out how to make him stay on the ground.

Pissing me off because I've been doing those Haida loops for who knows how long

You have to delay j.D slightly (very slightly, too much and Bang will tech before the j.D hits him). That challenge was a pain, getting both the d.6D or the d.6B prior to that took forever.

Besides IB punishes (which are difficult for everybody), 5B 3C 22C after 22C, and 6D whiff cancel combos in blood kain. Ragna has NOTHING that is difficult to pull off online. It is ALL practical.

Train moreâ„¢.

(note: fuck)

Besides IB punishes (which are difficult for everybody), 5B 3C 22C after 22C, and 6D whiff cancel combos in blood kain. Ragna has NOTHING that is difficult to pull off online. It is ALL practical.

yeah.... I pretty much face rolled to get his BnB air...

hell the other day I fought some dude over and over, after getting face raped like 10 times, I accidently chose Ragna.... I barely tried and didn't even want to win, and I lost 2-1 with the other guy at 10% life....

and my god, comboing Black onslaught is now laughable 5D>BO.... and that's it... it's kinda sad....

*is angry he does better with Ragna than Jin*

I like the idea of challenge mode, i just wish there weren't random difficulty spikes for a majority of the characters..especially since i can hardly play as one XD

Right now I'm stuck on Ragna's challenge #7. Its the midscreen infernal divider combo that ends with a belial edge and then a 3c as the target falls after bouncing from landing from the belial edge (sorry I didnt know how else to put that.)

I can never get the 3c to land after a belial edge unless I'm in the corner. Is my timing just off? Or is there something more to it.

I've modified one of mu's challenge combos and started using it online also mu's challenge 7 is one of her standard corner combos. These challenges are alot more helpful then the crappy sf4/ssf4 challenges were. I'd do them then go read srk for their actual bnbs.

The sjc's are a little annoying (especially when you are sjc a 2 or 3 move), but with a little practice its not to bad, I've even started doing sjc's with tsubaki after her 6cc in matches. Also I think the reason the sjc's are there is because when you do them, your character is in a better position in the air to jc again. Sure you can do alot of the sjc combos with a regular jc but if the combo requires another jc then you may fall out of position from your opponent to continue the combo, whereas a sjc will put you slightly above your opponent making the followup jc a bit easier to do. That's at least what I noticed.

Right now I'm stuck on Ragna's challenge #7. Its the midscreen infernal divider combo that ends with a belial edge and then a 3c as the target falls after bouncing from landing from the belial edge (sorry I didnt know how else to put that.)

I can never get the 3c to land after a belial edge unless I'm in the corner. Is my timing just off? Or is there something more to it.

You could try a mini-dash after the BE is done so that you can be sure that 3C hits.

That and you'll have to time 3C as well.

It just seems to me, that while Bang's ground hitbox is okay for most combos, his air hitbox is a lot trickier to hit. And he seems to tech sooner than you'd expect.

(Side note, please don't troll the thread, guys).