Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuuhaku

2010 Akicon Tournament (BBCS/MBAA/SSF4/GGAC+): Coming your way Nov 6! Get hype!

shoutouts to kayeff//dusty for yelling at people to play their matches for like 3 hours

shoutouts to MISSEDFRC for proving that I am salty by losing to tager in winner finals (7-3 matchup you turd AHAHAAHA) and then wrecking bang, and then proceeding to get wrecked by tager again for 2 more matches...

well, we have expensive streaming equipment that was recently purchased, so expect streams for digipen every week in high quality.

oh and PNW HYPE COMBO VIDEO

Maybe we should prepare things a little earlier next time we host a tournament like this. I think it would solve a lot of problems. :v:

It seemed like running four brackets with one computer and 1 person at a time was the difficult part. Maybe next time if there were more volunteers who could bring in laptops/netbooks to have 1 bracket per computer would help make things run a lot more smoothly. I didn't run brackets though so my opinion can be completely wrong though lol. Just an observation from outside.

Maybe we should prepare things a little earlier next time we host a tournament like this. I think it would solve a lot of problems. :v:

It's not like I started preparations in July or anything. :psyduck:

But... uh... we could work on communication. Myself included. I'll bring a nerf gun next time instead of trying to get people's attention by yelling into the mic.

And, I did request for an extra laptop(s) with Tio. Since originally mine was supposed to be used for displaying stuff on the projector (which never happened). We had a bunch in the hotel room, but they never made it down.

But... uh... we could work on communication. Myself included. I'll bring a nerf gun next time instead of trying to get people's attention by yelling into the mic.

And, I did request for an extra laptop(s) with Tio. Since originally mine was supposed to be used for displaying stuff on the projector (which never happened). We had a bunch in the hotel room, but they never made it down.

Damn, had I known you guys needed extra laptops, I would brought mine and a friends.

Shoutouts to getting a good Valk round 1, and not knowing the matchup for shit. Shoutouts to Kayeff for being asian and hard to pick out of a crowd(until he got to be a TO).

EVEN MOOORRRREEE EEEAAARRRLIIIIAAAAAAHHHHH

[/cell-reference]

Thanks to everyone who showed up and played GG at Aki-Con. I was the person who was running the GG tournament, grabbing people for GG matches, and getting people PS2 sticks/pads. I hope everyone had fun playing GG.

Although I ended up DQing myself early in every game in order to run GG, I really had fun watching people play. Good job to everyone.

By the way, I was the same guy who tried to cheese people with Valkenhayn in the BB tournament, and I played Valkenhayn for like 2 days just before the tournament. He was great.

Now time for some salty shoutouts:

Shoutout to Jais for being unable to SUPPORT THE SCENE (man...), but then, even if you showed up, I would've asked you to DQ yourself anyway, just like me and Wuku, because I wanted to reduce the number of matches and we were really running short on time with only one GG setup at the tournament. (Still, GG ran really fast. I love this game.)

Shoutout to LOLsap for being the #1 faggot at the tournament.

LOLsap: "Hey, can we just finish the finals so I can leave?"

Me: "But we are waiting for MB finals to finish so that we can record GG final."

LOLsap: *WHINING x N*

Me: "How about this? I'll MM you for $5 right now and if you win then you can have my $5 (plus the prize for 3rd place after DQing yourself to leave), but if you lose, you don't have to give me anything.

Result: HellSap didn't accept it and waited around for the finals. In the end, he lost to Tae in the losers final and got 3rd place anyway... LMAO. Man... *shakes head*

1. Baiken ALex

2. TSK

3. Osuna

note that there were about 4 or 5 players who were probably able to get top 3, and dropped out due to time issues, such as woki and wuku

By the way, I was the same guy who tried to cheese people with Valkenhayn in the BB tournament, and I played Valkenhayn for like 2 days just before the tournament. He was great.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...Round 1 :vbang:

Edit: Huey, nice talking to you about BB and tiers and shit, it was fun stuff.

1. Baiken ALex

2. TSK

3. Osuna

note that there were about 4 or 5 players who were probably able to get top 3, and dropped out due to time issues, such as woki and wuku

Hellsap got 3rd, not Osuna :|

Aw man, for some reason I thought this was going to be later in November, I really wanted to check the stream.

There gonna be any vids up later?

:3 I'll post them in a bit.

But first an overview-

We got done and we got most of what we wanted to get done get done, so... that was good.

We also didn't get kicked out by the Aki-con Staff and they do want us back next year.

Aki-con staff in general were awesome and really helpful.

Super props to-

Scooter for commentary (even though the stream exploded)

Spark for running the streaming setup (even though the stream exploded)

Christian for hugs and letting us use his computer ( and winning Karaoke Contest~ woo!

w0ki for being really pro with running Guilty Gear

MissedFRC his help too

SRK guys for being really understanding

Dusty and Melissa for helping to run brackets

and MVP goes Vince for getting the extra setups.

Canadians for showing up (I know it's a super troll drive/bus trip for you guys). It was super fun meeting you guys.

Main issues-

Communication.

A) Volunteers. A lot of you dropped the ball and seemed to have forgotten that you were volunteers to help run brackets and keep things moving. A lot of things got held up because of this. For example- We were supposed to stream and record GG and MB. However, because it took so long to go down the hallway and get a monitor from the Canadians, we only had time to test the setup for Blazblue. It was partially my fault for not contacting you and setting up a meeting place, but we also lost a lot of time looking for people who had wandered off. If you are going somewhere and you are a volunteer, you need to have your phone on you (and answer) and let someone know where you are.

B) Communication between games. Actually, it wasn't bad because we could see right away with MB/GG/BB if there was someone stuck at another game, but we got almost no communication from the Super side. As a result, we had a lot of games stuck because people were over at Super. However, that's not even the issue.

Technically, those who were stuck at Super when they had another game going could be DQed because it is up to the PLAYER to relay that to the brackets, not the bracket's job to be Scooby Doo and figure out where the hell people went. I was very disappointed that with that, the most communication issues were from people in our scene. Landis and Osuna, I know you guys are kind of salty about almost getting disqualified, but I did not know you were at Super. I called out both of you more than three times, and let other games pass. So you both had plenty of time to let the brackets know. Shouting something across a noisy hallway does not count as "letting us know".

C) Setups. I will address two bits. One, if you say you're going to bring a setup, then we are counting on you to bring that setup. If it cannot happen for some reason, then you need to A) let the people in charge know and/or B) arrange for a replacement. Two, telling someone that "life happened" and keeping us a setup short was not cool. We did have a lot of confusion as to who was to bring what, but I didn't understand that much since at any time you could have contacted me to ask what you were going to bring, AND it was posted at all times on the front page of this thread. We started really late and setups short because of this and that was probably one of the main reasons we didn't finish on time.

Conduct-

A) Yelling at con staff is not cool. We could have gotten kicked out.

B) Missing PS3. Saying "IDK we don't have their PS3" when we did was not cool. I initially told Aki-con "no" because I thought that people were keeping an eye on their own stuff, but when I had the suspicion it wasn't I asked someone to check out the PS3s. That didn't happen and I do thank Kaigu, Dusty, and Stark for finding the missing PS3. But future note- If stuff is missing from the convention and there is a possibility we took it, it's our first priority to investigate that. I feel really bad that we brushed them off when we did have the PS3. We had to apologize to the Aki-con staff for accidentally stealing a $400 machine. They were just happy to get it back, but that still looks really bad on us.

Overall-

Time Crunch: When there's a time limit, there's a time limit. Everyone here should have known what time the tournament was running from and until when. It was absolutely NOT okay to say "oh, we can just run over the next panel" nor is it okay to say "we can hijack another room and finish there". We're very fortunate that the Aki-Con staff was lenient enough to give us a spare room to finish finals even given the attitude that some of us were showing. At any other venue, we probably would have gotten kicked out. We actually would have finished on time if we had started on time and if people brought the setups they said they were going to bring.

Things already noted that need improvement:

-Have backups in case people decide to flake

-Recruit better volunteers

-Have designated sticks/pads for setups and mark them

-Bigger setup time slot

-More laptops for the brackets

-Cattle prod and role call people bringing equipment the day before

-Do not repeat the mistake of encouraging people to sign up for all games

-Make a cap at how many entries (people or how many games you could sign up for), or limit the number of games running at one time.

-Longer time slot.

-Better handwriting on sign-up sheet

-More coffee.

There were some things I could have done better on my end too. I did panic a bit, and I was rude to a lot of people. I do feel bad for that. However, I did what I felt needed to be done to keep things running while still being respectful to the Aki-con staff. I appreciate the people who did help out and I know everyone had good intentions for this. It wasn't a disaster, but it could have been better.

PNW people will always be PNW people. :v:

Hopefully we can do something like this again, and despite all of the problems it was a fun experience. (at least it was better than sakura con on my end)

Arguably? What does that even mean?

I main Litchi.

PNW people will always be PNW people.

KayEff, whatever your problems are, knock it off with the "subtle" insulting.

As for the issues, all of them can be fixed with communication (being missing was my fault, I had my phone on me but due to the noise i never heard it and i didn't feel it) and hopefully a wider range of resources. I think it will help a lot next time to get together with all the volunteers and plan things in person, rather over IRC and dustloop.

Shoutouts when I get home instead of posting Cake's laptop :toot:

But for now, shoutouts to my shitty handwriting.

:== Landis and Osuna, I know you guys are kind of salty about almost getting disqualified, but I did not know you were at Super. I called out both of you more than three times, and let other games pass. So you both had plenty of time to let the brackets know. Shouting something across a noisy hallway does not count as "letting us know".

nope, you were looking at me playing super and said if i don't get off super and play my bb match i would be DQ'd.

then, when i walked over to play my match, you yelled at me about my match being AFTER someone else's.

yeah... Osuna and myself weren't in the wrong.

Wolt, you were surpisingly hype. I assumed you were from Canada since I'd never seen you before. But your info says you're a Washington player! Wow. I wanted to play you.

Also. Doesn't Tio allow for tourneys to draw from the same set of names? Why were names entered in multiple times? That just opens things up for typos. For instance: I don't appreciate being written as Stank.

Really? I was hype? In what exactly? I got destroyed by Woki and couldn't play for shit in BB.

Had to be the cosplay. I can't exactly say I remember who you were, what were you wearing at the tourney?