Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teyah

British Columbia Match Vids

Slash Eddie cannot be played like how many people are playing in #R, flying around and trying to hit a j.K. If you play against a good Chipp, Ky or Johnny, you'll die in no time. Learn to summon shadow from fullscreen and start your offense from there.

Probably off topic but.. Eddie is C-Tier? The tier list for Slash is out? o_O

not that the tier list for slash is out, hes just saying Eddie got worse so badely.

omg that BR player is hawttttt. i remember when we couldnt even frc, now hes the best in the world and he could never have done it without me. He was my one true friend. Like a brother i never had. on a side note: i'm not gay, but sweetvids is a strappin young man more roger get action. least we forget the chain super unblockables!!!. and also spam more starfish into rc combo please. and where the heck are those MI vs BR matches? :D~ just something i find funny.. probably would have happened to any of us but its still amusing.. on that 1st MI vs MAY vid teyah match. teyah bursted after getting hit by a 5D. then as soon as he came down he blocked low and got 5D again in the face. 5D >>> teyah

Oh, and after watching the MI vs. MA vids Congratulations Teyah, all that training for TK Bad Moon is paying dividends eh? Throw pin in close situations = win! And overheads! Weee, Teyah winz with good advice!!! :P Nice mixups too, now try to hit me with'em the next time we play. (Roll roll Disc! FRC disk as they're nearly up, then jump to bait a toss :P)

Slash Eddie cannot be played like how many people are playing in #R, flying around and trying to hit a j.K. If you play against a good Chipp, Ky or Johnny, you'll die in no time. Learn to summon shadow from fullscreen and start your offense from there.

Thanks for the input, axel. I have toned down my j.K'ing significantly since #R, though you probably wouldn't be able to guess just from seeing my Slash stuff, heh. And of course if I find myself being punished badly for it I'll tone it down even further (as I started doing later vs BR there). j.K does seem to work well against certain characters without a good AA though (May, Dizzy).

Also... have trouble summoning little Eddie from fullscreen as it's pretty tough to get in - flying doesn't seem to work all that well now and drills can only take you so far. Any specific advice here?

5D >>> teyah

You know it. ;(

MI vs BR was not recorded, sadly.

POscrub - I guess I'm conditioned to not super much with Eddie, as that didn't even cross my mind. It would have worked, most likely.

Also, tossing Pin out in close can be good and bad. Remember that without Pin you can't do any kind of reliable damage. Not that I've actually bothered to learn her proper midscreen/corner Pin combos just yet (outside of the corner loop). But soon I'll put some time into Training mode for that!

ah... new request. match video between me and yuan. or any match video that im in, so that i can see which part of my playing style should be worked on. thanks ^^ ps - im linking your match vids in korean GG thread. wait for their reaction.

Comments as I go! Dizzy player: Learn your throw followup combos better, vs Johnny you ALWAYS do standing slash without a 2k or a 2p leadin. Learn your spacing and if you establish range on Johnny SPAM PROJECTILES. Johnny has a very hard time closing this distance and you do NOT want him to be on top of you without having a smokescreen up or being the one doing the pressuring. It's clear you know what you should be doing in a lot of situations but you need to be less predictable, be more patient, and do the right strings whenever you have the option. Practice will help your game a lot so no real worries, just stay calm and remember to keep working on these things. The Johnny: You are occasionally wasting tension or movement when you don't really need to, you are also missing setups to land an OTG coin or other useful setups when you have the chance. This may be because you were having such an easy time of landing tech throws, but if your opponent simply mixes up their tech times this could really screw you out of corner pressure. I'll comment more when I see more games. The Sol (Teyah?): work on your pressure and mixup beyond the first hit a bit more - you rarely went back in for a mixup without a gunflame if your initial mixup failed. More throw mixups = more Sol wins. Also work on your blocking a LOT, I think it's your biggest weakness right now and your game would look a lot more polished if you spent some time on it. You get hit on wakeup WAY too often and that will absolutely kill you in tournament play and against many characters in general. This includes getting hit when you are too far away to accomplish anything on your wakeup, so there's very little excuse for allowing this to happen. If you are going to take a gamble on wakeup make SURE that your reward for succeeding is worth the risk of getting hit or baited. The Eddie: You need to use your Eddie more/better, especially from full screen. You only summon off knockdowns and specific block strings - this is silly! The Eddie should be out AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE because it is awesome and makes your game 100 times stronger. You also, and I think people said this before, need to dead angle more when you have a chance and no one is stopping you.

May: your throw game could use some work, this may be getting used to the new dolphin spacings but you had several opportunities you did not capitalize off of. Also, you tend to only tick off your first hit or a slash dolphin ride: May has so many good opportunities to tick because people can't and don't mash throws against her. HOWEVER, this only works if you are landing all your combos and scaring them from running blindly. As of now I see you missing almost all the air combos and to play May you really have to have those around 100%. I know they are pretty hard but May's big staple is huge damage combos and if you aren't able to land those consistantly you aren't going to be able to compete with her. Work on those and put fear into peoples' hearts and then your other stuff will work out even better. Finally, May, your game is currently looking fairly predictable. May has the ability to be all over the place extremely fast, and if I can spot and predict the majority of your dolphin rides and attack patters then you are essentially standing still for all intents and purposes. You currently have an overreliance on dolphin rides, especially from neutral and at the end of strings, and don't tend to FRC them into safety or more pressure. This is a really easy way to lose rounds against people that are quick to 6p dolphin across or have good punishment options for a blocked dolphin upper (or against a Dizzy 2s). Work on eliminating predictable dolphins and you will find yourself landing a lot more CHs off the rides. Johnny again: 6p dolphin across for free combos. You seem so anxious to read opponent errors that you occasionally miss predictable approaches that, while done properly, are easily countered if you are looking for them. You have good combos and convert well, but you also perform questionable OTGs and give up pressure a bit too readily.

Dizzy player: Learn your throw followup combos better, vs Johnny you ALWAYS do standing slash without a 2k or a 2p leadin. Learn your spacing and if you establish range on Johnny SPAM PROJECTILES. Johnny has a very hard time closing this distance and you do NOT want him to be on top of you without having a smokescreen up or being the one doing the pressuring. It's clear you know what you should be doing in a lot of situations but you need to be less predictable, be more patient, and do the right strings whenever you have the option. Practice will help your game a lot so no real worries, just stay calm and remember to keep working on these things.

Oh, wow! Thanks for the comments (we hardly get any)!

I'll post more in a bit.

The dizzy again: Don't punish with throws if you don't have to! Punish with DEATH COMBOS. Dizzy creates a lot of opportunities where you have all the time in the world to punish a mistake: do your biggest, nastiest combo or you're wasting that chance. Also NEVER finish a string with a fish summon against a blocking Ky. Free stun dipper on reaction. You should only use punch kick close slash type stuff on him unless you land a hit or are going to FRC. Both of you guys in that match: work on your spacing and reactionary throws a bit more. Several places where people weren't playing as safe as they could or were in range of a free throw and didn't do anything or get punished for it. Punish! The Ky: Man I would have kept doing S. Stun edge forever if he just kept blocking :P

Next match! Poscrub, you make good use of hammerfalls. However, J.h is pretty easy for millia to anti air. This is something I see in all the matches so far - you guys don't really anti-air as a group much (excepting Teyah's sol). 6p and 5p from millia can shut down so much, and other characters also have all sorts of options that I just don't see exploited enough. Pot CAN jump in with j.h, but really he should be forced to use j.s and other options because she really can shut that down without too much of a problem. Also, poscrub, you didn't really tick. If you went low, you always continued the combo, and you didn't use 5p much. However, this could just be this specific match. Both of you guys need to work on your spacing, whiffed busters aside there are certain points where it would have been pretty easy and/or safe to escape pressure or counter an attack (millia at full screen who jumps a slidehead = free airdust!) but missed it or did not try for it because you were unsure of spacing. Still, best vid ive seen so far.

im skipping the next match with reload millia nice combos and you anti aired more poscrub mixup more! dont just attack also work on defense guys! blocking is better than getting hit even if it's scary and not fun

KK this is for the first two buri vs eddie matches in the next set. Buri you need to vary your approach a lot more, and be ready to adjust your pressure/combo based on what happens and not have it predetermined. I saw you OTGing after 7 hits with Kickstart. Don't do this! It's a free combo if they know how to tech. Also, you tend to attack using the same string whenever you go for a Boxing roger, and you didnt ever jump while doing this. Jump/crossup/high-low is better than just high-low alone, especially if you mix it up. Also, I didn't really see any tick throws. Buri also wasn't setting yoyo except off knockdowns and blockstrings for the most part. Having a yoyo sitting midscreen is ALWAYS good and can scare opponents into bad play. Teyah: it seems you don't really use Eddie all that much compared to your other characters, which is fine. If you plan on sticking with him, you need to work on your spacing and throw game, and not dropping combos. You had the game at several points and whiffed something, which is =[

I am going to stop here but here is a general note to everyone! You guys need to work on your bursts, burst baits, spacing and movement, as well as teching. These are all small things but add up to a lot. Check out how often someone was landing predictable airthrows, for example: this will happen occasionally, of course, but there were generally several in a row, match after match. People were also countering bursts with bursts. Why would you do this? If you get hit with a burst, and you failed to bait it, why would you immediately burst back? Why not first try BLOCKING when they go to Oki, and then (if you fail) burst there? Don't be so eager to throw your burst away when you haven't even taken any damage or even any pressure yet! I see people bursting other bursts when they are way in the lead - this doesn't really make sense, especially if can survive another 2 combos. If you are in danger of dying from 1 single followup combo, then sure, do what it takes to get free, but if it will take 2 then you have plenty of time to determine if you should blow your burst or not if they actually crack your defense. Basically my biggest piece of advice to you guys is to work on your defense. Right now, there isn't much mixup to anyone's pressure. This is because your defenses aren't tight enough to really require it. However flashy and damaging your combos are they will not matter if A.) you cannot land them except on people who do not defend well enough; and B.) you are unable to defend against other players' mixup because you don't see enough variation amongst the people you play with. Good defenses will prepare you for both consequences. Good mixup requires good defense or you will never stop using poor mixup. So block block block, and remember that while you DO have easy outs sometimes (DA, Burst) they are not remotely as important as good blocking and reactions to predictable pressure!

K I'll shut up now thanks for the vids i enjoyed them much! Good stuff in there but you know what it is so hope you don't hate me now hope to see more some day somewhere out there :O

K I'll shut up now thanks for the vids i enjoyed them much! Good stuff in there but you know what it is so hope you don't hate me now hope to see more some day somewhere out there :O

im the sol player in the match vid you saw. thanks for the advice. ^^

Millia needs to mixup more. Mostly it's 2P, close S, TK Bad Moon and that May is falling for it every time though. As for Eddie's flying j.K, in Slash any character will be willing to trade hits with him, since he'll eat a CH for sure and j.K won't clash with anything now. After summoning shadow from fullscreen, you can lock opponent down with 2S, far Invite Hell, buzzsaw and close in from here. If opponent backdashes, keep moving in or Break the Law for more safety. You should always be holding P and release it if you think your opponent is trying to poke the shadow. A lot of things are very situational and it's hard to put it in words. Play more and you'll get the hang of it. One last advice: learn to IB as much as possible. Most people know the benefits of IBing, and so make it happen.

Millia needs to mixup more. Mostly it's 2P, close S, TK Bad Moon and that May is falling for it every time though. As for Eddie's flying j.K, in Slash any character will be willing to trade hits with him, since he'll eat a CH for sure and j.K won't clash with anything now.

Yeah...only took me about...8 games before I got the hint and started blocking high.

yo poscrub stop using j.HS so much, like, you're suprisingly better than i would have thought for some random fucker if not for the j.HSes, try and use sj.S more and hammerfall break in ~ and learn frcs thats about it yo, youre pretty bad at keepin milla away but whatev also and to the milla: learn to block jesus

poon, thanks a ton for all the advice you've posted here. I was the Eddie and Millia (and Ky) in those vids you saw. Was wondering why you couldn't tell who was who when the filenames had all the info on them. =p

You are right in that I don't use Eddie as much as my other characters (Millia and Sol), but am now trying to. I'll work on the fullscreen Eddie calling out and try not to get him killed off as is usually the case. Also must work on holding of buttons in a better fashion, as I have problems with basic Eddie stuff (like hiding a button hold behind a normal attack). Thanks for the advice!

Millia needs to mixup more. Mostly it's 2P, close S, TK Bad Moon and that May is falling for it every time though.

And.. why do anything else if this works every time? :o

I fully know that MrDolphin never, ever, ever blocks high, so I just continually do this to him for free damage + knockdown. If he eventually starts blocking it, then in comes 5S©-2S or something else off the 2P.

It's kinda funny how I always hear "mix up more", but really, what is meant by that? Doing silly unsafe things like non-chained 6K or TKBM might be a better 'mixup' but more often than not you're going to get blasted. Same goes for tick -> run-in throw (which is very predictable and unsafe), and even Disc FRC at times. While it's important to mixup, it's also important to be safe.

It's good to be specific kinda like poon is with his advice also, not just general blanket statements! But thanks for the comments anyhow.

Edit:

also and to the milla: learn to block jesus

Excuse me for not turtling against Pot but I was getting PB'ed quite a bit in previous games and wished to avoid such pain by jumping away (ie. getting hit by lows alot)

if you want to mix up, use things like destructo disc air fall dash through pot, 6K frc (does that still work I DONT KNOW) and tick throws

Woohoo

Alright poon!

First up, (not just to Poon, but everyone who responded, Henaki and Axel too) thanks for taking the time to actually WATCH our vids, and make informative comments. Hats off to you guys for taking the time and effort.

Ok, since this post is kinda long, short guide to the content. A short players list, a small personal guide to who's who, then an answer to poon, and in the next post, short answers to henaki and axel.

Player list (POscrub unoffical Video watching rankings):

Just to give you an idea of who's who:

Tier 1:

Teyah(Sol/Millia/Eddy), sweetvids(Bridget), Mr. Dolphin(May)

Tier 2:

JOFan(Johnny), Nagai(Dizzy)

Tier 3:

POscrub(Guess who...)

T-Hawk Tier: (bwhahahahhahah!, injoke :P)

halftooth (Sol)

(but more seriously, halftooth is in the same tier as I am)

But more seriously. Teyah, Mr. Dolphin, and sweetvids are probably are best players in the videos. Nagai is good too, but we didn't get his best fights on video, and Slash Dizzy has been weakened too, (takes time to get used to the changes), so the vids aren't really representative of what he can do. JOfan can actually do the Johnny combos, but he often plays in lazy mode, then pulls out some totally "did he just do that?" combos and mixups. You can tell he's in serious mode when he starts landing those one hit ensenga setups, and 6K FRC throw, DB FRC combos, that kinda stuff. So yeah, if he's being lazy, of course it's not gonna look too good on video.

Me (POscrub), I'm the scrubby GG isn't my main guy. Basically, I picked up Pot, learned the basic "combos", (K,S,S,2D, corner combos for pot buster, combo off CH 2HS, 6P, hammerfall break to move forwards), and now spam j. HS, j. D, and potbuster my way to victory. My main game is CvS2, so I'm perfectly comfortable with letting people try to attack me, then punish them when they screw up. Naturally, this also means that I have very little knowledge of GG specific mechanics, so I'm a perfect sucker for burst baits, air tech resets, and all that kinda stuff. Sadly, no one mean enough to abuse such things has played me yet :P.

Halftooth (other Sol player), is one of our new guys. He's probably the weakest of the guys in the videos, now this is NOT meant to be a slight to his skill level. It's just that compared to the rest of the guys in the videos though, he's been playing GG and fighting games in general for a LOT less time, so of course lack of experience is going to show. He's done a good job of learning the basics, he can dustloop off of some setups, but there's some stuff he hasn't gotten around to optimizing yet. He rarely uses tick throws, prefers to use st. Dust, and so his Sol is a lot easier to block than Teyah's (just block low, block the dust on high on reaction, you don't have to actively worry too much about command grab). Also, he's more likely to miss unexpected combo opportunities, but that'll come with experience. (Teyah's been playing for about 3-4 years)

At any rate, you're more likely to see better stuff from the players in tier 1/2, halftooth has much better technical skill than I do, and any vid involving me, expect to see a PAINFUL amount of j. HS, j. D, and random hammerfalls. If you thought my current vids were bad, you should be REAL glad that Teyah didn't post the other vids, where I repeatedly butt dropped into an active Millia disk :D.

At any rate,

Message to Poon:

Pot vs. Millia:

Teyah (Millia player in the vids) is having some serious problem with AAing Potemkin j. HS/j. D. From what he's been saying to me, he said that 5P has been trading or losing for him too much, and he's worried about whiffing 6P if I decide to go for a double jump or change it up with a butt drop. You should probably get his opinion personally in his own words, but that's pretty much what it boils down to. I'm guessing it's some sort of positioning issue, like you need to get under Pot, and not have him hit with the tip of his hands, or something like that. On video, he got a good trade with 2HS, into air combo for himself, he repeated this a couple times over the evening.

But anyways, what it boils down to, is everyone except Mr. Dolphin, I can pretty much jump around mashing on j. HS, j. D, with double jumping to change up timing, and sometimes just jumping forward, then double jump back, or just kinda hang around my end of the screen, and get pretty good results. If you could give a little more specific advice on how to stuff a Pot who's just spamming jump attacks to get in, I think the help would be much appreciated. I'm not saying our guys can't antiair. Just that the damage and consistency isn't there, so that if you look at it from a probabilistic perspective, jumping in is just too good for me to pass up right now. Now, I'm probably oversimplifying a bit. It's not like j. HS is the only offensive option, and some of those j. HS are being done from straight up or backwards jumps, then double jumps. But I digress.

And in terms of strategy, I'm guessing Teyah might need to change up how he handles his general game plan. On video, most Millia's vs. Pot's I see kinda hover around, Millia kinda stays in the air on her side of the screen, and she's looking to prevent Pot from coming after her with j. D, you can air dash into j. D, air dash, pin (to catch antiair attempts, you have to react instantly to antiair millia is my guess), fake a dashin, dash back, and occasionally just run right in when you've got Pot worried. A severe simplification, and I dont' even play Millia, but anyways. Teyah doesn't like jumping or hanging around in the air too much, but I think zoning is the way to go?

Btw, Teyah doesn't like being potbustered, in fact it's fairly difficult for me to potbuster him. Most of the time, my ticks are kinda obvious, as he prefers to use backdash a lot to escape ticks, so if I mix potbuster with 5K, both end up whiffing and he gets off the hook. Him being the most experienced player, the only reliable way for me to buster him is to use hammerfall breaks, or have shaken his concentration with some heavy damage beforehand. If he's paying attention, I probably can't buster him. As I mentioned lower down, he IB's j. S -> 5K, and backdashes out of the hole to saftey.

Oh, and quick gloating comment:

On the subject of antiair, I got Teyah with counterhit 2HS :D. Bwhaahhahah :p

Message to Axel:

Basically, this is a player specific thing, cuz we're all friends, we know each other's gaming styles / lazy weaknesses quite well. Most of our guys are still busy blocking low, and up till now, Teyah's been going more for CH mixups, and low hits and stuff, his TK bad moon execution wasn't that great either, so most of us are used to blocking his stuff low. And even if we don't block high, the damage done is relatively low, unless you get caught in the corner or something. Like, if you eat the TK Badmoon, big deal, just some minor damage and another knockdown. Eat the low hit, you're gonna get hurt a lot worse. In other words, since most of us are blocking low, it's only natural for him to start throwing out the mass overheads. When you get right down to it, most of us cheating by favouring blocking the low hits, so it's only natural that Teyah keep doing the overheads until we start favouring high/low block equally. Think of it as rock paper scissors, where right now we're only choosing scissors. Free lunch for the attacker, might as well take it. Nobody likes losing, so eventually everyone will stop picking scissors, but right now, it's not there yet.

On the subject of IBing and backdashing: Despite having the character who would benefit the MOST from such things, I do zero of it. Yup, that's why I'm in Tier 3 :P

More seriously though, Teyah does make use of IB, when I go for the sj. S, K setup after a Potbuster, he IB's the S, then backdashes his way out of the K. So yeah. Expect to see such things from our Tier 1 players :P

Oh, and your Eddie advice is good, and much appreciated. Keep it coming :P

Message to Henaki:

Haha, thanks for the high praise :P. Basically right now, I'm daring the other guys to beat my stupid spam j. HS strategy. Given my CvS2 background, I'm perfectly comfortable with spamming stupid stuff like Blanka j. MK/RH, Sagat. j. RH, Bison j. RH, etc. until people learn to antiair it properly. Painful to watch yes, but that's how it rolls. Too bad it didn't make it onto video, but I got a ton of people with random hammerfall FRC -> st. S -> heat, and K, S, hammerfall break potbuster. My current goal is to spam more hammerfall FRC's to catch people trying to jump away, and once they switch to trying to straight up block it, hammerfall break and potbuster them. But anyways, like I said, I've only learned the very basics of Potemkin play (reading over G. Blood's Pot topics), and I dont' apply half of what I've learned. So throw me a bone and gimme some good advice :D.

Btw, when you told Teyah, learn to block, which matches are you commenting on? If it's Pot vs. Millia, could you point out specifically which bad non-blocks he gave up? From the Slash Millia vid, the only bad one I can see that he gave up was at the end of the round, he tried his antiair too late for j. HS spam. The rest, he was trying to do something. If you want, I can fill in the complete list from above.

And now to discuss Pot strategy. Here's more or less what I've got so far. (The dumbed down and simplified version)

-At extreme distances, either walk forwards with 6P/5S readied for expected jumpins or HS/2D to catch run ins, or hammerfall break quickly to cover some distance.

-At medium distance, I expect Millia to either

a) run in

b) jumpin

-First a) Throw out either 2D or 5HS preemptively. 2D gets the knockdown, a CH 5HS can lead to hammerfall sometimes, slide head for the knockdown, or just generally make up distance.

b) jumpins. Now depending on how Millia plays this can be tricky. She can either

b1) attack normally

b2) in place of above, toss a pin

See, if you try to 6P every single jumpin Millia does, you eat CH pin with stagger, and that's a free air combo for her. At least that's the way I see it. So my current strategy was to select 6P as antiair about 1/4 of the time (I realize far 5S is good AA too, but I'm not particularly partial to it, due to it's relatively slow speed). Millia player doesn't always severely punish me for blocking too many jumpins either, so I like to think of this as picking the less damaging option out

The other guy has already caught onto the angle of 2HS, so it's fairly rare I land that now, (The #R Millia 2HS CH was just carelessness on his part), so basically I'm stuck with either 6P, block, or get up in the air myself and try to airthrow. You'll see me do a fair amount of air blocking because of this, but at least I'm not eating too many CH's.

Anyways, what's your advice? What would you add to the above game plan?

A reminder to everyone:

These are CASUAL vids. These aren't tourney vids, where there's pride and stuff on the line, so most of our players aren't putting their full concentration into the game. For example, let's use Spirit Juice said that you can 2A a Johnny dash on reaction. However, you do need to prepare your mind properly to do this, you need to have 1) recognized in advance that in this situation, there's a good chance Johnny might dash 2) Ready up your fingers and hands to handle the 2A, 3) Also be ready to handle some minor secondary options. But at any rate, that takes a lot of concentration, and given we're just playing continuous casuals, no one's going to put in that amount of work for a single match. Sorry, but that's how casuals are, you know? Lots of fun and stupid chatter going on in the background for every match, but these matches were taped on the VCR, so no crowd reaction, sorry guys :P. A lot of it was downright hilarious though, check out the pictures in our BC thread haha. Also, we're not the best players in universe, far from it. There's plenty of simple and basic stuff to pick on, so fire away guys :P. Even simple and basic stuff needs to be pointed and out and fixed.