Sign in to follow this  
Teyah

British Columbia Match Vids

No problem, it only took around 20 minutes for me to download the latest videos. But since you people bother to spend time uploading the matches and want to hear some comments, I assume that you all are at least playing on a serious level. It's pretty pointless for others to comment about the matches if all the players featured are just playing for fun and doing unsafe moves all the time right? Anyway, if you want more advices on characters, just go over to the Character threads and ask away. Slash Eddie threads seem to be quite dead nowadays, with the hype on new characters and new top tiers. I believe I can talk about Slash Eddie, since I've played him for 6 months when my local arcade got the game.

Ah, I see. What I meant was, it's not that people are not trying to improve It's more like, forgive the stupid mistakes you'll see, because yes we can do better on a lot of reaction things sometimes, but sometimes, the concentration to do so isn't there. Like for example, I'll use a CvS2 example, since that's the game I'm best at. On days when I'm on my game, I can not only hit back foolish rolls, I can hit back dash in attempts, and any roll I'm not ready for, I'll simply jump away to avoid roll super. CvS2 has a lot of whiff punishing stuff, so like if your Bison, you'll be looking to psycho crusher baited limbs, Sagat fierce->super limbs, etc. In casuals though, you'll see a lot of dash throw, roll super, etc. And that's all a part of casuals, if you know what I mean? Basically, expect the reaction timing based stuff to be a little sloppier in casuals. On a bad day, you'll see me psycho crusher waaay too late, so they end up blocking it, and I get pummeled instead, that kinda thing. Also sometimes, you'll see people play on autopilot. Like people get in close, but end up pushing themselves right back out with a predictable guard string, instead of making sure they threaten with proper 50/50 counterhit/throw mixup.

KK i am posting in response to stuff! First off I know who the players were i just felt like talking based on the characters its pretty easy to remember player names when you make it so easy (JOfan, POscrub, Mrdolphin, TEYAH) that i couldnt forget if i wanted to. SECOND! To POscrub AND Teyah and everyone else: What you are saying about how the mixups you use seem to be fine and the strings seem to be safe ETC. in response to criticism: This is EXACTLY RIGHT. These strings are sufficient, and safe, and work great AGAINST EACH OTHER. The real problem is that you guys are a fairly isolated community, and thus you have limited interaction with different playstyles. Regardless of how good you are, there are going to be certain aspects of the game that simply don't surface in a limited number of players confined to a specific region and that is going to keep you from reaching the next level unless you can find a way to expand your COLLECTIVE games. Now this is incredibly hard to accomplish without actually travelling. Why? Because the stuff you are doing DOES work, within the system. Since everyone blocks and pressures and mixups up in essentially the same ways, you are never going to notice that something is missing from your game because the best players will still tend to win within that confined system and community, and improvement in other areas of gameplay will still very clearly and obviously result in wins, losses, and establishment of a sort of logical pecking order amonst your players. For example, lets say you live somewhere where there are 4 players and NONE of them really use frame traps. You are not ever exposed to frametraps so you don't really know what they even look like or how they are effective. Everyone does a short blockstring and then the match is sort of reset. The best player is still going to win. Better mixup and combos will still earn you more wins and give you an edge over other players. In fact, your game could improve indefinately without EVER incorporating frametraps into your game. On the other hand, the very first time you encounter a Ky or a Sol or anyone who performs basic broken pressure, you're going to die. Terribly. And you aren't going to be able to respond in kind. You might have better combos, and you might be more technically skilled, but you've failed to develop this portion of your game EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE NEVER STOPPED IMPROVING. This is what I see happening with your blocking and mixup patterns. They are reaching a stagnation point because you are able to take certain things for granted. Teyah, your Millia combos and execution are great; you would, however, likely never crack the guard of someone who had seen you play once or twice before and was used to the Millia fight. You would also, from what I see in these videos, have problems with varied and advanced mixup and pressure patterns. REMEMBER, this is just my commentary from a single string of videos, but it highlights an important (and unfortunate) point: it is almost impossible to advance beyond a certain level without contact with other regions and tournament settings. If you guys want to make it to the next level, and are unable to travel to experience what that may involve, it's going to take someone buckling down and honing their defense to a point that FORCES everyone else to completely change their approach style. You may not see immediate results because defense is an extremely hard area to hone on its own without specific incentives to do so (especially if you are already winning most of your games) but it is THE key to being great and not just alright.

poon - Good stuff, I'm understanding where you're coming from. I'll do what I can from here on out to improve my game in the ways you listed. However I do have a few questions/comments:

- By 'better blocking', do you mean not trying to poke out of block/pressure strings? A lot of the times I try this I'm afraid of being grabbed (ie. vs POscrub).. while other times I do it subconsciously. I'm guessing it's only the latter you're referring to when you say improve your defenses. :o

- You mention frame traps.. does this apply to me? From what I know, frame advantage is required for frame traps - yes? Millia normals do not give frame advantage, so it's kind of tough to work anything out there. But I have used it earlier with Sol in #R (2P / GF FRC) so it's not entirely unfamiliar territory here. Other than Disc FRC in pressure or Secret Garden, or even 5S RC (which I do at times~), I haven't been able to think of any general frame traps for her. Would be good to know if any others exist!

This is what I see happening with your blocking and mixup patterns. They are reaching a stagnation point because you are able to take certain things for granted.

This is true, but only when the player matchups call for it. For example, I know there are a few players who never shift off low-block, and so I tend to go overhead-happy on them. Others, like POscrub and JOFan, do not just block low all day and as such I do choose to mix it up when I play them. It all depends on the player. Did I read your point correctly or am I a bit off base here? :o

Teyah, your Millia combos and execution are great; you would, however, likely never crack the guard of someone who had seen you play once or twice before and was used to the Millia fight.

This kind of confuses me... simply because Millia, by design, is made to crack the guard of the other player. Assuming you can score a knockdown, which almost certainly happens at some point in matches. You can't mean to say that the large majority of mixups after knockdown or blockstring would be blocked, can you? After all, TKBM and 6K are overheads that are pretty much unreactable to; in the end it comes down to a guessing game. There's also roll / AD crossups thrown in as well as disc -> throw (which I do use, however sparingly, see earlier #R sets for those), and.. yeah. I don't really agree with what you're saying, though I could be misinterpreting it.

- Finally, I hope it's not too much to ask of you after all this, but could you post some comments on my Millia like you did for the other characters? Specifically looking at the 2 Millia vs May matches on the last set. Aside from noting the dropped combos (which are mainly because I've not yet messed around with them at all in Training or anything to see how they work exactly)... yeah. Anything at all would be helpful if you could!

Thanks again poon~~

Edit: Forgot to mention, most of the players here do not take GG too seriously at all... there's no real competitive drive in our scene. Putting in the time and effort to learn these things to better their play is a very unlikely possibility, as the common incentive to learning even character-specific tactics is not that high... let alone major general gameplay adjustments such as what you have suggested. But I'll try to convince whoever I can; I'm just letting you know of this anyhow, to give you a bit of a background on all of this.

Now I totaaaally should be studying for my finals right now :P But I figure it'd be a shame not to answer poon, since he's put so much effort into the post. [Edit: Btw, don't be in a hurry to reply to my stuff. Take your time. Teyah's stuff is more important, and quite frankly, I'm the kind of guy who often KNOWS a lot about what he should be doing, but is far too lazy to actually do it. Teyah, actually takes advice and follows up on it :D] Yeah, when you get right down to it, Teyah is probably the most serious of us, he spends more time reading forums, and picking up strats and stuff than the rest of us. Honestly, it must a be a little frustrating or him, there's lazy bums like me, who aren't exactly motivated to learn some fairly simple stuff. Like backdashing. Or learning to combo a super(!) At any rate, the whole mixup business if partially the opponents fault too, not just the guy who's executing them. I mean, you'd think that with the sheer number of times I've been hit with Millia 6K-> super, I'd have learned by now but... :P I'll post up a list of what I think I'm getting hit by sometime, and compare it to Teyah's list of what he's actually doing sometime. That should be interesting, haha. Anyways, here's some obvious improvements for my game: -Pot without IB is a cripple. Learn to IB. Sadly, I'm a cripple when it comes to JDing, yes, despite K-groove being my main groove in CvS2. Yes it boggles the mind. This is mainly a result of lack of prediction in my playing style (it was mostly reactionary up until a year or two ago), and partly because of bad joystick holding habits. Holing up the joystick into the down back position can't possibly be good for joystick technique, hehe. -All these matches, and not a single backdash buster, or backdash into P,K,S,2D, to get knockdowns or anything. Shame shame. This is again a result of bad joystick technique (my thumb strength is pretty crappy, so attempted double taps with the thumb ot backdash end up not doing anything). Anyways, I'm not quite down with using backdash for antiair, and due to lack of general game knowledge, my timing for attempting backdashes through stuff it downright poor. Theorywise, I would like to use backdashes to force IAD stuff to whiff, then grab, or backdash through gaps left on purpose in order to bait counterhits. But my execution isn't nearly good enough to make that a good choice, so if I'm playing serious, that probably gets left out. -Hammerfall FRC. Sadly, I missed all my FRC's on video. Such a shame. Back to training mode with the scrub eh? -Double hammerfalls. Got lazy in the vids, so I never got a chance to do it, but I'll be looking for either a second hammerfall to catch lazy jumpers, or once they start blocking, break it and grab. Probably the most damaging relatively safe option for people who put more weight on jumping out and eating whatever rather than risking getting hit by potbuster. -6P AA. Didn't get to see it much in the vids, I was shying away from that for a bit, cuz I got pinned a couple rounds earlier. I had a lot more luck with hanging up in the air and simply air blocking stuff, but I digress. I personally don't like 6P much against Millia, but I get to use this a lot more against more standard characters, like Sol and stuff. -Instead of always using 5K as a meaty, work in the 5P. Theres' a couple things holding me back from this. First, I'm really bad at comboing the 5P on jumpers. Like 5P connects, but they're planning to jump, if I was planning to look for a hit, I'll usually have pressed 5P twice, and by this point I realize I'm connecting, so I press S, but Pot's close slash doesn't have much up reach, so it whiffs, and they tech away. Anyways, anytime my friends see 5P, it's probably a tick attempt, so they'll be ready to jump (since I probably wouldn't be using the move except for ticks). Anyways, I also fail at catching people backdashing the 5P, not quick enough to sweep them or whatever you're supposed to do. Basically, I'm misusing the 5P, so that it's not helping me land any busters, and in fact when people try to escape with jumping, I'm getting LESS damage than I would using my standard K meaty. Maybe I'm suppose to do 5P -> Hammerfall FRC to catch jumpers, but I haven't really thought it through well, with 5P -> Hammerfall break -> potbuster when they stop trying to wiggle free, but yeah. -I dont' use 6K much in #R, and that carried over to slash. I had a nasty habit of mistiming the 6K too early and getting whacked, so then I started timing it to err on the side of safety. Of course, the bigger window made it easier for people to jump or backdash out of the way. Basically, part of the problem is the people I'm with are fairly wary of the buster, so they tend to favour jump/backdash out of potential buster setups. So stuff like deep jump HS, 6K will probably fail, since they're watching for do nothing buster. 6K on wakeup gets backdashed a lot, and even if it does land, the 70% scaling makes it pack a lot less kick than it should. -Less jumping. Well, this will happen when people start antiairing. Too much free lunch for me so far, but that'll change soon.

- By 'better blocking', do you mean not trying to poke out of block/pressure strings? A lot of the times I try this I'm afraid of being grabbed (ie. vs POscrub).. while other times I do it subconsciously. I'm guessing it's only the latter you're referring to when you say improve your defenses. :o

No it means don't automatically assume you have to go to great lengths to escape pressure/mixups. Yeah you might have gotten grabbed a bunch in a previous game, but that was a previous game- if you're getting hit a lot trying to escape throws, you need to focus less on what happened before and realize that you are just getting hit right now. So yeah. Learn to adjust to the current situation, not what got you and scared you like 3 games ago. Keep it in mind, but if you're constantly eating something totally different because you're trying to avoid something else, then your blocking and general defensive mindset need work.

- You mention frame traps.. does this apply to me? From what I know, frame advantage is required for frame traps - yes? Millia normals do not give frame advantage, so it's kind of tough to work anything out there. But I have used it earlier with Sol in #R (2P / GF FRC) so it's not entirely unfamiliar territory here. Other than Disc FRC in pressure or Secret Garden, or even 5S RC (which I do at times~), I haven't been able to think of any general frame traps for her. Would be good to know if any others exist!

Frame traps don't necessarily require frame advantage, especially in GG with all the gatlings and cancels and stuff available to you. The idea behind frame traps/broken pressure is to set gaps in your pressure that your opponent might try to mash/jump out of, only to get nailed by the incoming move. Moves that are slightly delayed to not combo, or just moves that don't combo in the first place are great for this, frame advantage is nice but some characters have frame traps that work even with disadvantage because of priority/speed/reach (like Chipp)

This kind of confuses me... simply because Millia, by design, is made to crack the guard of the other player. Assuming you can score a knockdown, which almost certainly happens at some point in matches. You can't mean to say that the large majority of mixups after knockdown or blockstring would be blocked, can you? After all, TKBM and 6K are overheads that are pretty much unreactable to; in the end it comes down to a guessing game. There's also roll / AD crossups thrown in as well as disc -> throw (which I do use, however sparingly, see earlier #R sets for those), and.. yeah. I don't really agree with what you're saying, though I could be misinterpreting it.

I'm not psychic, but poon probably means your mixups either a) get predictable after seeing you play a bit and/or b) you only mix up on the first hit and don't continue your mixup series properly when your first mixup doesn't work out. And yeah he can mean that if he's seeing patterns in your offense, and believe me, some people are really really good at picking up on things like that, and you might never even realize you're doing it yourself till someone points it out to you.

I think the thing is that you guys just haven't had nearly enough exposure to other players, which is why you're having trouble totally getting what poon is trying to say.

Yeah you might have gotten grabbed a bunch in a previous game, but that was a previous game- if you're getting hit a lot trying to escape throws, you need to focus less on what happened before and realize that you are just getting hit right now. So yeah. Learn to adjust to the current situation, not what got you and scared you like 3 games ago.

I understand where you're coming from here, but sometimes the risk/reward ratio isn't worth it. For example, it's better to get hit low by Pot twice in a row than get PB'ed once. So you'll be going for the former option more often at times.

The idea behind frame traps/broken pressure is to set gaps in your pressure that your opponent might try to mash/jump out of, only to get nailed by the incoming move.

Ah right, I know well how broken pressure works, as I used it alot back when I played Baiken as a main character. The problem with broken pressure with Millia, I find, is that her pokes generally don't have much priority (outside of a close 6P). So broken 2Ps, or 2P-5P whiffs generally don't go too far, at least not without risks. Eddie can't really make much use of it either as his pokes are quite slow in Slash (though he's got the shadow to cover him anyway).

b) you only mix up on the first hit and don't continue your mixup series properly when your first mixup doesn't work out.

Yes... this is true for me at the moment, as with Millia I rely too much on 2P-5S© into TKBM / 2S or Iron Saviour 50/50. Though the reason I go for single pressure at the moment is because Millia's normals don't seem well suited for broken pressure what with their low priority and only average speed and range. With other characters it can be quite different (but not Eddie, which I mentioned above).

Hehe, you need to post vids of either your #R Sol or Baiken Paul :P. Baiken you've had plenty of time to work out all your stuff, Sol, FRC gunflame + command grabs ftw Slash Eddie makes you work a lot harder Since you used to just save your Eddy for that one knockdown, then eat the other guy's life bar. We demand you bring back the full life Testament "loop" :P

Update: 10 new Slash match videos up.

JOFan(Johnny) vs Teyah(Eddie) x3

JOFan(Johnny) vs Teyah(Millia) x5

Teyah(Eddie) vs halftooth(Order-Sol) x1

Teyah(Millia) vs halftooth(Order-Sol) x1

Get the complete .rar file (77 MB) over at RapidShare:

http://rapidshare.de/files/22512121/BC_Vids_-_June8-2006.rar.html

Or, Megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICU3W48V

CC always appreciated as usual, we are still in the improving process. Thanks for viewing!

PO - My #R Sol (as well as #R Millia) vids are still up on RapidShare I believe, check the first page. Though sadly, nobody plays #R anymore, there's still some decent gameplay there that may be worth checking out.

Are u guys gonna join T7? its only in toronto lol. come meet ur fellow canadian players =P

it's kinda tempting, but i'm a pad warrior that's slowly learning stick, so I dunno how well I would actually play at T7 (since it's at Orbitz, or IOW on arcade sticks). maybe that's not really a big deal, though, i dunno. it's also cheaper to fly to Vegas for Evo, although perhaps booking a room in Vegas + other fees will be more expensive than the overall trip to T7, who knows. more importantly, i'm not too sure i can take those days off from work for T7. Evo would be easier to go to since it's Aug. 18-20, which is after I'm done my work term. (... which is not to say that I've made up my mind about going to Evo :sweat: )

Ok halftooth here has got this one significant problem that anybody who plays him knows about: he sometimes stands around doing nothing, like he doesn't know what to do. Maybe he really doesn't know what to do, or maybe he's just tired. I don't know. He used to do this with regular Sol, too, with his famous GUNFLAME FRC->stand there looking cool. It happens once against Eddie where Eddie just runs up and command grabs him, and it happens multiple times against Millia where they just come to a sort of standstill and then Millia takes the initiative and messes him up. I can't say that I play HOS, but anything's got to be better than standing there doing nothing. j.HS, or d.S if you're close enough, or rock to close that little gap. It's not like you're being zoned out; you're just within reach or just a little out of reach. Do something.

mabe...hes waiting for that one CH so he can walk up and 5k into BR RC SIDEWINDER move for the massive damage.

Teyah/ nice millia =D , i only have one thing to tell ya.. some times after you finish a corner combo --> set a disc --> 6+K .. you rushlly run 2+HS and you don't have a pin, and wasteing 50% tension on the badmoon,, you just need to walk slowlly --> pick up the pin --> combo,, he won't recover (at most times), but ya he's johnny and he falls fast XD , train on it ^^ ToS OST really fits GG O.O , dude i gota make a custom copy now!!

hello, here are some casuals vids between Sweetvids (ANJI, BRIDGET) and myself (JO). ttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVCLO3UX there are 6 vids; 3 of which are JO vs AN and the rest are JO vs BR. any sorts of feedbacks/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Teyah/

nice millia =D , i only have one thing to tell ya.. some times after you finish a corner combo --> set a disc --> 6+K .. you rushlly run 2+HS and you don't have a pin, and wasteing 50% tension on the badmoon,, you just need to walk slowlly --> pick up the pin --> combo,, he won't recover (at most times), but ya he's johnny and he falls fast XD , train on it ^^

ToS OST really fits GG O.O , dude i gota make a custom copy now!!

Since Teyah has been abducted by aliens, espers, and time travellers, I will be his advocate.

Y'see, Teyah is a meganub when it comes to combos, and he must rely on tricks if his combos fail. That badmoon rc is his knockdown buffer in case he fails to pick up his pin. Anyway, I wouldn't know if he hadn't told me, and I'm sure this is what he would say.

= Teyah should go back to Sol.

hello,

here are some casuals vids between Sweetvids (ANJI, BRIDGET) and myself (JO).

ttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVCLO3UX

there are 6 vids; 3 of which are JO vs AN and the rest are JO vs BR.

any sorts of feedbacks/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sweetvids is the worst player lololololol i bet if he played against PO he'd get HEAVENLY POTBUSTERED and JUDGE GAUNTLETED all the time nyo~~~~~~

Yeah, I've given you info on msn, so I won't repeat myself.

Nice vids, good choice of music.

Type in download passcode. Wait 45 seconds until the download bar activates and says, "Click here to download" or w/e it actually says. Right-click on that bar and then "save as...". I've found that if you left-click, sometimes the windows explorer browser will come up so that you can save your file (as usual), but other times the page will basically reload and ask you to enter a new passcode and start again.

MegaUpload.com doesn't work for me now too. It used to work. I have my settings in Japanese so maybe that's why MU.com displayed a Japanese message and I couldn't read it. LMAO. But it said something about my country... =/

Sign in to follow this