Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TaoFTW

NorCal INSTALL! v.2 - August, 28th (We HitConfirm Everything!)

Double ♥♥ Post

Didn't forget about you guys!

Max for having a girlfriend that hates me

Adam for also being hated by Max's girlfriend

and Derek for being Norcal AND a BB player but somehow magically cool as hell

Wow I've been in a coma for 2 days...I had a few more shoutouts to throw out but ehhh...Fuck it...Too lazy right now.

Now if Rin would just put my match up already, I'd be happy:yaaay: I should've gotten priority since I gave him a cheap place to stay for a couple days AND I provided him with immense amounts of entertainment to boot :3

It'll be up tommorow.

Double ♥♥ Post

Max for having a girlfriend that hates me

She doesn't hate you. She think you're cool. I told her about the Fanime SWR balls/spirit orbs story and that was an instant hit with her. I dunno if you remember that.

what is this SWR story

wow jiang is <3ing up this thread

no to bi-monthly norcal installs!!!

i need to mash buttons more often than that sry

i guess we should start discussing the next norcal install

Are we gonna go ahead and merge bb into nci monthlies like there was talk of? Has anyone talked to Eudemonia about possibly hosting nci monthlies or do we need to find another place? (Shadowbrooke? I know ssf4 is there biweekly and I'm sure the turnout is bigger than we would probably be.)

EUdemonia is -not- an option for monthly meets. We can do annual events, but Dean doesn't want to host 100+ people. However, since our scene has grown to the hundreds, doing a tournament at a hotel is now an option.

what is this SWR story

wow jiang is <3ing up this thread

no to bi-monthly norcal installs!!!

i need to mash buttons more often than that sry

i guess we should start discussing the next norcal install

gl hf. If you're going to host monthly tournaments, then count me out. However, I will be more than happy to train people management 101. I will let you know that I spent over half a year planning for the most recent NCI. Koogy, Fred, and I are good people to talk to about how to run a tournament. If you talk to any one of us, then we'll give you constructive criticism to the max.

gl hf. If you're going to host monthly tournaments, then count me out. However, I will be more than happy to train people management 101. I will let you know that I spent over half a year planning for the most recent NCI. Koogy, Fred, and I are good people to talk to about how to run a tournament. If you talk to any one of us, then we'll give you constructive criticism to the max.

thats nothing i didnt already know john! yeah i am aware of the current situation. just poking to get the gears rollin' \w/

Do you have estimates on what it costs to rent out a hotel ballroom in Norcal Tao? I'm curious.

Yes. The average ballroom -comparable to the size of NCR- runs at approximately $100 per hour or $1.5k for the whole day. This depends on the size, the time of year, and -of course- the amount of people we'll be bringing. Schools have better deals that range from $300-$800 to rent out their big ballrooms - Kinyoobi con does this.

Now that our scene has grown to 100 people, renting out a hotel is a viable option. Here's the crux; the more people that rent their hotel rooms, the cheaper you can rent the ballroom. So the bigger the FG scene, the bigger venues you can host. There are three things you'll need to make this a successful event:

- Money; most big-name tournaments (including Triple Troll) usually have some pocket money to subsidize part of the ballroom costs. However many entrants that enter will help to reimburse your lost moneyz.

- Staff; tournaments cannot be run by a solo-mio. WCW was notorious for a serious lack of manpower.

- Advertise; we now have IPW, Brokentier, Tauntloop, TheBBVlog, EUdemonia and few more people willing to advertise the tournament for us. These are -real- people running these sites, so treat them with some dignity and COMMUNICATE with them. Give them weekly updates, discuss ideas, and be a problem solver. We have big name organizations that will give hotels some business incentive. I encourage you use it.

The drawback:

- Running big-name tournaments are costly, time-consuming, and take months of preparation. You -cannot- run monthly meets while prepping up for a huge tourney. Doing monthly casuals for lulz n' plastic hype doesn't count.

- NorCal is the most lethargic fighting game community in West Coast, so expect to do a lot of solo work. Running an official bi-monthly is better for the sole reason that NorCal is HUGE LAIKE XBOX. Spanning a tournament over two months is enough so people know about it, but have time to delay the inevitable. It also saves whatever sanity you have left.

So yeah, I'll be happy to give you my rundown on T.O. experience. Now that I think about it, I want to write an article about this.

Yes. The average ballroom -comparable to the size of NCR- runs at approximately $100 per hour or $1.5k for the whole day. This depends on the size, the time of year, and -of course- the amount of people we'll be bringing. Schools have better deals that range from $300-$800 to rent out their big ballrooms - Kinyoobi con does this.

Now that our scene has grown to 100 people, renting out a hotel is a viable option. Here's the crux; the more people that rent their hotel rooms, the cheaper you can rent the ballroom. So the bigger the FG scene, the bigger venues you can host.

Man.. venues are freakin EXPENSIVE... :< who ever is looking into this stuff, you better start researching now, you need to find the best deal you can get.

There are three things you'll need to make this a successful event:

- Money; most big-name tournaments (including Triple Troll) usually have some pocket money to subsidize part of the ballroom costs. However many entrants that enter will help to reimburse your lost moneyz.

- Staff; tournaments cannot be run by a solo-mio. WCW was notorious for a serious lack of manpower.

- Advertise; we now have IPW, Brokentier, Tauntloop, TheBBVlog, EUdemonia and few more people willing to advertise the tournament for us. These are -real- people running these sites, so treat them with some dignity and COMMUNICATE with them. Give them weekly updates, discuss ideas, and be a problem solver. We have big name organizations that will give hotels some business incentive. I encourage you use it.

I can help with staffing, although I'm NOT up for running tournaments. Its a very stressful job (As you probably already know tao), and I tend to crack down in tense situations. As for promotions, WELL, you know who to talk to :3

Just get me dates/places, the name of the event, some footage, and some time, I'll hype dat shit up in no time.

The drawback:

- Running big-name tournaments are costly, time-consuming, and take months of preparation. You -cannot- run monthly meets while prepping up for a huge tourney. Doing monthly casuals for lulz n' plastic hype doesn't count.

- NorCal is the most lethargic fighting game community in West Coast, so expect to do a lot of solo work. Running an official bi-monthly is better for the sole reason that NorCal is HUGE LAIKE XBOX. Spanning a tournament over two months is enough so people know about it, but have time to delay the inevitable. It also saves whatever sanity you have left.

So yeah, I'll be happy to give you my rundown on T.O. experience. Now that I think about it, I want to write an article about this.

You should write an article :P

Man.. venues are freakin EXPENSIVE... :< who ever is looking into this stuff, you better start researching now, you need to find the best deal you can get.

I can help with staffing, although I'm NOT up for running tournaments. Its a very stressful job (As you probably already know tao), and I tend to crack down in tense situations. As for promotions, WELL, you know who to talk to :3

Just get me dates/places, the name of the event, some footage, and some time, I'll hype dat shit up in no time.

You should write an article :P

I traveled the -entire- bay area for a venue; this includes: hotels, card shops, schools and even car dealerships. So when I found EUdemonia, it was like finding a needle in a haystack. You cannot get a hotel ballroom unless you have the people to back it up.

We have the people. Now it's time to make the hype.

Well I was going to do a shoutout post, but talking about the next NCI is more important. So in short, shoutouts to everyone that came to the event. Special shoutouts to all my SoCal friends since I haven't seen you in so long (and met some new ones too like Kyle, Sam, and Mr. Camaro!).

Anyways, Coopa and I have already been in talks about doing another NCI. I've been looking for a venue in the Sacramento area and may have found one, but I need to talk to the owner. The location seems fine, but I got to talk to the owner first. Number one priority is finding a new venue, and once we can find one, we can start looking at a date. We should have support from IPW and other sponsors like last time.

In terms of an estimated date, things are a bit iffy. September is too early to do another one, and there is SoCal Regionals at the end of October. November might be good but NorCal Regionals may be a problem if they add BBCS to the roster. Right now, November looks to be the most likely month for the next NCI, but obviously nothing is finalized until we find a new venue.

Just want to add as a side note that I can always pull a venue out of SJSU if it's needed through club connections since the regular school year has resumed again; it'll be during the normal time and the SU won't close so early like it did in summer, most organizers have my info if any plans fall through.

~Chun

I could run the tournament itself theoretically, but I only have all that money I keep winning.
FTFY.

Wow THAT fast the next NCI like 2 months after this one?! I thought we were making this annual D:

Yeah, I had a feeling that going more inland might have bigger chances of getting a better venue though. The Bay Area looks pretty dim. If SJSU is securable, it might be it.

Btw Chun your new sig is full of lulz xDD

FTFY.

yeah, with all the money I've won I've broken even against my travel costs. I would say that's definitely not bad, but unfortunately I had a lot of debt to come back from after EVO. :v:

Well I was going to do a shoutout post, but talking about the next NCI is more important. So in short, shoutouts to everyone that came to the event. Special shoutouts to all my SoCal friends since I haven't seen you in so long (and met some new ones too like Kyle, Sam, and Mr. Camaro!).

Anyways, Coopa and I have already been in talks about doing another NCI. I've been looking for a venue in the Sacramento area and may have found one, but I need to talk to the owner. The location seems fine, but I got to talk to the owner first. Number one priority is finding a new venue, and once we can find one, we can start looking at a date. We should have support from IPW and other sponsors like last time.

In terms of an estimated date, things are a bit iffy. September is too early to do another one, and there is SoCal Regionals at the end of October. November might be good but NorCal Regionals may be a problem if they add BBCS to the roster. Right now, November looks to be the most likely month for the next NCI, but obviously nothing is finalized until we find a new venue.

On the contrary, October is still a good date.

yeah, with all the money I've won I've broken even against my travel costs. I would say that's definitely not bad, but unfortunately I had a lot of debt to come back from after EVO. :v:

You shouldn't stay in debt. Finish school and get a job. :3

Wow THAT fast the next NCI like 2 months after this one?! I thought we were making this annual D:

Yeah, I had a feeling that going more inland might have bigger chances of getting a better venue though. The Bay Area looks pretty dim. If SJSU is securable, it might be it.

Btw Chun your new sig is full of lulz xDD

We have been going monthly with NCI since November 2009. You BB flunkies should be grateful that GG/MB yielded it's spotlight for you. They were the ones that got the scene off it's feet. That was the main reason why I wanted you, rin, to promote GG/MB a bit better. You're using their name to promote BB was a bit 3:<. But the event was still a success, so we forgive you.

I want you guys to start wearing dress clothes and go talk to some Hotel staff. Seriously, we have the people to make this gig hype. Nobody wants to listen to some random NEET dressup up with, 'IN DUST WE TRUST' T-Shirts (no offense Koogy, but business is business). Make a business card, plaster NCI all over the interweb, do something!