Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurushii

[CS1-CSE] Makoto Nanaya Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

・5CC > 6B~C > 5D (LV3) > 2D (LV3) > jc > j.D (LV3) > 2B > 6A > jc > j.C > j.B > djc > j.C > j.B > 623C~D (LV3)

With this one I just think my timing is off, but I'm having a really hard time trying to hit with the 2D, seems almost nigh impossible for me at the moment. Whenever I try this he recovers at the same time as my strike and it misses.

Try doing dash 2C before the 2D. Also this combo is corner only.

Try doing dash 2C before the 2D. Also this combo is corner only.

That pretty much solved it. It was odd cause it was under mid-screen combos in the combo thread, which was a bit confusing.

I'll give that a go, still not comfortable with Rapid canceling, so I need alot of practice to use it properly.

I've started to play a bit of player matches online, and I find it pretty difficult to initiate combos with Makoto. My best options seem to be B, 2B or CC, but often find me outranged or when I get close grabbed, particularly vs hakumen and Jin. Do any of you have any good advice on that?

Me on some netplay ish last night. Didn't know they were recording the gamez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P67jWmy7bYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkWFQzoN5zY

Too many dropped combos, too much mashing, too much randomness(J2C spam) :/

In my defense it was 4 am and I was kinda high :v:.

Will post some hype mirrors once I get to recording them.

Hmm... new here, and to traditional 2D fighters in general...

Was wondering if anyone would care to critique some replays of mine; I don't have anything uploaded to my youtube right now, but if anyone is interested, I can do a live-stream whenever.

Sure. Or even better, invite me as a spectator on XBL if you can't upload videos. I'd be glad to help you.

Sounds awesome. B)

Hmm... stream or spectate... well, either way, we'd have to both be online at the same time. Could I add you on xbl/some chat client?

I forgot a lot of basics, since I stopped playing for a long time~ wish I hadn't since I was trying hard to get a community together at one point lol. Anyway~ been having a hard time with Jins tonight and thought I'd share my scrubiness on this forum hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcSJIJd5qk

Any advice is welcome~ I have no idea what I'm doing vs Jin.

A lot of dropped combos especially in the corner.

The best thing to do against a jin is be patient, he has a lot of frame traps. Wait for your moment to break out and try to get a good read on him. Its best to stay grounded against Jin too. After a 6a go for a sjc jb jc dj jb 623c~d . Don't go for a j cc .

sorry about grammar, been studying and writing papers all day :3

I see u eat some nasty 6b ch there i'll suggest instead of poking him out, Be patience and parry his frame trap, it can be done on reaction but i'm not sure how viable this tactic online if there is Lag... and your 2a's is really good on this match so stay grounded

and need to shape up on combos department~~~

Nini heart can you give me some advice?

Let's play a quick set, i'll save the replays and analyze them.

Messing up your Ds is perfectly normal with Makoto. You have to adjust to a new TV's timing for her drives, which mostly rely on muscle memory, so in the heat of the battle, you end up relying on your muscle memory, and that fucks you up if the TV has slightly different timings. That + PS3 only tourneys here is like the main reason I've been placing horribly here. Tourneys are on CRT, I play on a laggy vizio. Tourneys are on PS3, I play on 360 Dpad.

On another note, too much random 3Cs. A tao who knew the matchup would 6C you on reaction into 6k. Not enough j.b which works well against tao. A lot of dropped combos because of drive timing fails(normal!) but this you already know.

The matchup is ass anyways, but it seems you lost cause of timing differences and you didn't really know the match up well(6B can be parried instead of just blocking, J.B is super effective, etc). Next time go in training mode before the tournament and do 100 reps of 5D,2D, J.D each so you're used to the timing of the T.V. This is what I plan on doing next time I have a tourney on a non HD screen, hopefully it'll help

Two more videos from that night~ I'm ChfMojoRising, in case there's any confusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXluUrrB1dY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvOU6FvT6eQ

I had a conversation about fundamentals in fighters that same night and after watching the Mak v Mak vid, I realized I'm pretty predictable in this game. I will always try to reapply pressure and never just wait/bait out an opponent. This is why there's a frustrating amount of counters being yelled out by the announcer lol. Perhaps I need to slow down. Relax my play style a bit. This is the first rushdown character I ever played, I may be playing too one dimensional.

Also, I don't know why I didn't DD on my throws. I can do them all day offline, but they failed to come out so often online that I just kind of stopped lol. Also, there are times I wanted to RC but didn't because I was using a pad instead of stick~ and I just used default button settings to get into the fight quickly. I've become reliant on the R1 button being a 3-button press for cancels and barrier guard lol.

Both of you guys need to work on your combos.

Seeing 2C or 3C starters ending in <5k makes me sad. Seei

Also both of you need to work on hitconfirms. I saw some good starters like anti air 5B which didn't end up breaking even 1k.

Mojo, I don't know why you didn't combo after your grabs a lot of the time. You shouldn't DD after throws, that's just wasting meter. In the corner, a throw is like guaranteed 4-5 k at least, or at least 3k midscreen.

Still you have a lot of work to do. You're still not using a lot of her better tools properly. Your neutral game needs some work, and your pressure too.

Leon, I don't think that video is a good representation of your skill so I'd rather not do a critique when I know that's not what you generally play like.

Thanks a lot Nini ^^

To tell the truth, I'm not sure which combos I should be doing, looking at the combo list in the forum. I figure a good midscreen, corner and AA combo are necessities but I also can't help but wonder if any of it will still be relevant for CS2. I'd happily practice a CS2 combo that's only barely decent in this game, so long as it's good in the next hehe.

Also, I DD on grab because I simply don't really use my meter for anything :x. Does Mak only use it for block strings and nothing else?

ps: oh, also, how should Maks neutral game work? I tend to stick out a 5A or 5B when in range~ I guess I should mix in some iad-B/C?

Don't worry about what works in CS2 till you have the game, it's not much of a difference anyhow.

Makoto uses her meter for tons of things like turning a jab midscreen to 6k or 5CC to 9k, continuing a combo after a lv 2 5D/2D, burst baiting, etc.

In neutral you should only be using either 2A, 6C or parry, with 5B being a once in a while move. Adjust to 6A, parry and j.B against a aired opponent.