Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaliPower

Southern California Regionals - Nov. 5-7 ($1k pot for BBCS + prizes!)

yeah I mean, tokido obviously knows his combos and mixups, and is a very solid player overall. But, yeah, damn, BB is not even his main game and he goes to america and wins. kinda makes you think

Did Cali suddenly get good at BB when nobody was looking, or were people seriously thinking that a guy who qualified for BB in Japan (and was considered by some to be a favorite to win the whole thing at one point) was going to drop a set to guys who didn't even place top 2 in the US SBO quals?

I mean let's be real, the American BB scene is the freest of the free in the land of the free, and Cali isn't even the best of that bunch.

anyways <3 Zong for being the bestest Cali player and <3 Dacidbro for giving Tokido more gimmicks with everybody's favorite broken character

guys who didn't even place top 2 in the US SBO quals?
Funny, I didn't see any TX players on that stage today. (^.^)

tokido qualified for SBO, people shouldn't feel bad that they lost to that guy.

oh the biggest difference between him and zong/dacid

he didn't drop combos and he adjusted alot quickerr.

mmm Im not judging american BB, of course there were really good players like zong, but as someone said earlier, tokido adjusted so quickly and started doing more and more mixups that it was hard to counter him, he also got better at blocking zong's mixups as the matches went by, THAT imo is what makes a top player (among other things), to be able to adjust in any situation and find counters to what the opp is doing.

but I def think they can beat jap BB players, maybe not now, but it is possible. look at (flame shield on) SSF4, america has just gotten stronger and stronger and evolving their game as the months pass by, that viper kid beated tokido (though he lost again to tokido in losers), wong beated sako, vangief beated gamerbee (not japanese but what the hell...) etc

Lol. No offense to anyone (and I'm include in this) but America's BB scene is the worst fighting game scene compared to every other FG scene. If any real player from the capcom side came ver to the BB side it would pretty much be a wrap.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably delusional.

@Diveman Bee plays with Daigo on the others on XBL all the time, he may as well be japanese lol. And when they go to japan, they dont take japan tourneys (afaik) and two of the biggest tournies in the US were taken by Daigo and Bee. BB is also a different animal from SF.

BB doesn't have anywhere near the competition that sf4 does so it is extremely unlikely that america will ever get to the level of even decent japanese players, much like in GG. As far as the whole region thing goes there hasn't really been a tourney with EC/WC at it (I think MikeZ went to SB and that's like it) so can't really say anything there till evo lol. Texas can talk all the shit it wants though since SBO quals lol.

I gotta admit though, ZONG_one did some impressive shit in that match against Tokido. I've never seen him play that well before with Carl, and plus he didn't switch to Arakune lol.

America will never be even close to Japan in ASW games. This is just how it is. The only games we're good at is ST, SSFIV, and Tekken (or were). In before some haughty faggot says "lol wut abut marvel".

In any case, props to everyone who placed. Zong played exceptionally well aside from some dropped combos, but no one is perfect anyways.

When I heard Tokido was in top four and played Bang, I had a feeling he was going to win it. Tokido is a really OG player and has been playing FGs longer than 99% of the GG/BB scene, so there's no surprise that he can just pick an auto pilot top tier character like Bang and win a US tournament.

I also like how CD says no one Cali is a top BB player but Texas wasn't in top four so... ;)

America will never be even close to Japan in ASW games. This is just how it is. The only games we're good at is ST, SSFIV, and Tekken (or were). In before some haughty faggot says "lol wut abut marvel".

Unfortunately true, and I'd only play ST out of the three you mentioned. I just don't want to believe it. What Japan has that America doesn't is accessibility to arcades/game centers, can actually adapt better in matches, don't autopilot, and the players actually practice a lot with multiple casuals/ranbats/tourneys. Norcal, we gotta stop being sadlife and just keep playing.

missed stream but...

thumb up to Zong_one and everybody I know played in the tournament

I was not really expecting Tokido to win but anything can happen in the tourny

and he indeed owns the top-level player skill

America will never be even close to Japan in ASW games.

this is true for 95% of the time which applies to GG, Hokuto, SBX, etc

but I don't think the gap in BB is that huge compared to above games due to many reasons.

however, there is a long way to go for entire foreign BB scene