Sign in to follow this  
SmilingBison

Explanation on techs?

To start off I will say I am pretty much a beginner, this is my first Blazblue but I'm not a total 'scrub'. One of the main problems I seem to encounter when playing is doing techs either the wrong way or the wrong time. So I just had a few questions and was hoping maybe a couple of the better players could just give me a few explanations for me to learn from.

1. How teching works? (by this I mean is there certain specific frame information I should be keeping in mind and not durrrrr how's do I tech guys!)

2. Different kinds of teching? (when on a general basis is it appropriate to use a certain type of tech, neutral tech, back tech, forward tech) As an example I typically always try and back tech and around 50% of the time I wind up eating a combo before my tech is complete, so I assume one should use different types of techs at different times.

3. What to do immediately after teching? To go with the above, at the moment, I barrier guard as soon as I tech so I am blocking as soon as I can (tutorial advice haha) but what do a lot of you guys do? Are there other options you can go for like in CvS2?

I really appreciate any help guys, as I think this is one of the major things holding me back from leveling up in the game.

Wake Up

Command: ↓ or ← or → + A or B or C

Player can choose direction of wake up.

Character is totally vulnerable during the knock down on the ground.

Neutral wake up: input ↓ + A or B or C, very short overall frames, does not have any invincibility against regular attack, but has throw invincibility

Back roll: input ← + A or B or C, long overall frames, long invincible frames

Forward roll: → + A or B or C , long overall frames, short invincible frames

The second half of the motion of forward/back roll does not have the invincibility.

In BBCS, character can not cancel forward/back roll with specials. Forward/Back roll can be only canceled with barrier.

from bbcs system guide

as for when/how to tech, that's just something you kind of have to learn on your own. it's a bit hard to say that there's really a rule of thumb other than "don't tech into things" because okizeme in this game is pretty weak as it is.

what i will say is that a lot of people autopilot their oki in this game, so delaying your tech can sometimes prove to be the easiest way to annoy such players.

Try Teching without any directional input (just hit A, B, or C). Attack invincibility until you can block, though I'm fuzzy if it's throw invincible or not. You'll probably be stuck in a block string, but you at least you'll be able to react to openings.

I tend to pay attention to what my opponent is doing and tech in the safest way possible. If their combo gives them forward momentum and leaves me in the air I tend to air tech forwards and thus behind them. If their combo leaves me in the air and they are a short range character I tend to tech backwards if it won't leave me in the corner (this is risky against Bang and sometimes Tager, so don't tech the same way always). For everything else I neutral air tech.

As for the ground I usually neutral tech, but against characters without a lot of range or with good pressure options I tech backwards unless it leads me into the corner. I rarely forward tech, because good players will knock you out of it consistently.

I did a bad job describing things but just practice and tech in the most intelligent way possible. Be ready to use DPs on overly aggressive opponents when you tech, and make sure to barrier block on your air techs so you don't eat an anti-air.

Thanks a lot guys! all this information was really useful and I'm seeing some improvement in my teching ability. I'm still getting punished a lot but I have a feeling this will get better in time. Another question if I may, that I can give a specific example on that may further help me to understand and improve my when/where/what knowledge when it comes to teching. I play a noel fairly regularly who attempts the Haida loop but screws it up a lot and blue beats, however a lot of the time after the blue beat I'll tech and it seems to create some kind of inadvertent frame trap, where I'm hit the moment I finish my tech. What are some potential ways to avoid this scenario when teching? Right now if I'm playing hazama with 50 heat I will Houtenjin or Inferno Divider if I'm ragna as soon as I tech which typically always wins, I feel I should just be improving my ability to tech out of situations at least safely into a guard and like Phoeniks said use it when they get overly aggresive but I tend to do it everytime and against better people I'm sure i'd get punished.

Don't let wakeup DP become a habit. DPs as a whole tend to be extremely useful, but honestly are high risk-low reward. Ragna's can net him like 2800ish, I think Litchi's can get more. Makoto's gets barely anything, Jin's are horrid compared to what they used to be, and Bang's DP super is godly, and should be used whenever possible. In comparison, a counter or FC BnB from just about every character can pretty much lose you the round, so if you really need to spam a DP, make sure you have 50 heat to RC it.

As for Haida loop, I'm pretty sure that any air tech should escape it if it's dropped, unless you're in the corner. Haida loop also uses 6C which is an anti-air, so be ready to barrier block. Your friend should very possibly eat a combo for dropping it (depends on who you play), so you should teach him to never drop it. Random Houtenjin is a little more risky than normal on Noel because a lot of her moves will clash with it or have invincibility frames during it. If your friend spams either of the Zero Guns when you spam Houtenjin, you will eat the whole thing, so you may want to reserve it for combos like:

5B, 3C, 214D~C, Houtenjin, etc.

5D~D, (air throw cancel), Houtenjin, etc.

Also, if he air dashes a lot you can use 214D~B, 632146C or 214D~B, dash, 3C, Houtenjin, etc.

A silly one I discovered was 5D~A, 632146C at appropriate range.

If you are Ragna, play footsies with Noel and use 5C, j.5C, ad 5B and combo appropriately. If he spams Chain Revolver as a "blockstring" you can DP through it with low risk-medium reward odds.

^ ^

Could not for the life of me figure out what DP is... looked at all the notation guides couldnt find it there.

Lol.

DragonPunch.

aka Shoryuken.

aka 623__.

Can someone help me get a clearer understanding on how to deal with "resets"? Tager is notorious for them, but I know there are other characters who use them...is there any countermeasures or things to be wary of that can help me defensively?

Lol I'm soo tempted here.

Stay gdlk sogos.

Against Tager, I'll tell you one thing.

100% of the time, if you're magnetized in the air, Neutral tech.

If you're getting hit with AC resets you're gonna fucking die.

Well, Tager's just an example. In most cases, if I don't tech, they pick me back up and prorate combos me for chip damage, or punish any possible tech I do. Jin and Ragna do this as well that I know of, Bang too.

Back tech gets punished, forward tech gets punished, blocking on slow getup gets me thrown, neutral gets me thrown, air forward tech gets me air thrown, and well...yeah I hate people who've seen through everything.

You should never do anything except neutral tech against characters like Ragna.

His 2B is too good. Don't risk it.

Actually 99% of all of my techs are neutral tech.

No one can see through everything.

They're seeing the base level of your wakeup, and reacting accordingly.

It's up to you to take it a step further.

Get on that layer 3.

break grabs blade. if you get thrown that much then damn. ppl get scared when you break grabs.

God I hate air throws...so hard to predict....

God I hate air throws...so hard to predict....

Not really, if you're both in the air, you're either blocking or attacking.

If you're blocking, be ready for an air throw if they're in range.

If you get thrown out of an attack, well..

There's not much you can do about that.

If you get thrown out of an attack, well..

There's not much you can do about that.

Does BB have any moves that are throw invincible ala guilty?

never bother to look for it on the frame data. If not, oh welp. But seriously, look at the screen. React accordingly.

Does BB have any moves that are throw invincible ala guilty?

never bother to look for it on the frame data. If not, oh welp. But seriously, look at the screen. React accordingly.

jin's 6B

Though that being said, Arakune can airthrow him while he's doing it, assuming you didn't do 6C beforehand or he didn't IB 6C.

okay so it's got airborn property not throw invuln technically.