Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

purify

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum

The game as a whole isn't viewed highly. I can understand why though, since it's far too easy to just spam heavies and qcf's. There's no slashback, rc/frc, dead angle, or any of the deep stuff that GG has. Hell, even mixups aren't necessary most of the time. Having said that it is a genuinely fun game to play and I really enjoy it, sort of the same way I enjoy MvC2. Only without the added epilepsy.

I've been messing around with this game lately. So far I've settled with Mai/Big. Big is pretty easy to use, and Mai seems pretty solid. I've tried out Kyo & Iori too, but Mai & Big seem to fit my playstyle better. This probably sounds dumb, but I hate the fact that rolls costs meter in this game.

It may sound dumb? Rolling costing meter is bullshit. I can get it costing meter in blockstun/combos but to to use it freely for it to cost meter? That's outrageous.

It's not a roll, it's a command dash with some invul that you can do whatever you want to out of (like using AB rolls to do dash DP with Haoh instead of manually dashing). There's a lot more flexibility with it than the standard roll... costing a bit of meter isn't that big a deal, meter builds super fast in this game anyhow.

I played a lil bit of this over christmas but I didnt have to much fun with it. I had been playing Kof XI and this didnt seem as good.

That's the problem. NGBC is good but it can't really hold it's own against KOF XI as nothing more than a sideshow. NGBC is like an appetizer whereas KOF Xi is like a main course.

The above is about right, actually. KoF XI is better. Rolls in this game isn't like CvS2 roll cancelling, it's more like a roll that you can cancel anything into (including blockstun for no additional meter), and cancel out of with anything, at any time. It lets you combo from sweeps, it lets you punish mashing jabs on block if you're good at it, and so on so forth.

XI is not better than NGBC. It's a matter of what type of game you like. Honestly, both games have massive problems in terms of character balance. If you like tons of silly combos and heavy rushdown play, you'd obviously prefer XI. If you're more of an oldschool gamer and prefer the slower paced games like SF which focus heavily around spacing and footsie, you'll prefer NGBC.

I completely agree with that. NGBC just fits my style a lot more, and even the games that aren't spacing/footsie oriented, I still mostly play them that way.

I like both and I play both. I said NGBC is like a sideshow because when it comes down to it, more people go for KOF XI. NGBC is great but when people see the KOF roster they're all "wow, they has this person," and "I can make this team." Obviously it's up to personal opinion/interests.

I would think it'd be the other way around as far as the character roster, Coliseum has the widest array of SNK characters in a fighting game. XI has a lot of KOF classics in it, but is also missing a lot of them shrug. NGBC would have done better if it was named KOF: Battle Coliseum or some shit like that lol.

I would think it'd be the other way around as far as the character roster, Coliseum has the widest array of SNK characters in a fighting game. XI has a lot of KOF classics in it, but is also missing a lot of them shrug.

NGBC would have done better if it was named KOF: Battle Coliseum or some shit like that lol.

Character wise you may be correct, but the KOF games are the flagship for SNK, so that playstyle is what would be popular. NGBC plays more like a Capcom game.

Yeah, I wasn't contesting that. But there are a lot more scrubs (for lack of a better term) that buy the games than people that play the games well, and scrubs care about characters. The "jump around and do random cool stuff" playstyle applies to any fighting game to them. I meant the game "doing well" in the context of selling well to the general fanbase/casual gamers. I doubt any of them have ever thought "Wow, this plays like Street Fighter!" More like "Wow, Mai's tits have a lot of frames of animation!" edit for Blade: Yeah, there are japanese matches with Ai/Yuki. Generally, Yuki has a decent array of gimmicks, but hardly anything solid and his mian character trait and flaw is relying heavily on charging. He's like a Slash Robo Ky or something. Ai has amusing shenanigans and an infinite.

Yeah, I wasn't contesting that. But there are a lot more scrubs (for lack of a better term) that buy the games than people that play the games well, and scrubs care about characters.

Well yes, but you have to keep in mind the type of scrubs that fighting games are aimed at these days. Keep in mind, the main arcade market consists of Japan/Southeast Asia, and while they have their share of "jump around random stuff" scrubs, they have a much larger share of "gameplay system" scrubs than most of the other markets. So the way the game plays is more important to them than characters.

In addition to this, the KOF brandname is huge in these areas and so there are tons of KOF characters, many of which were left out of NGBC, that are HUGELY popular. Basically, there are hella more KOF scrubs then there are just random SNK scrubs.

I was talking mostly about America, but yes, you're right. If it had been bigger overseas, it would have subsequently been a bigger deal over here. I think another issue with NGBC not doing so well over there would be that it, XI and Tenka were released within months of each other, the other two games belonging to big franchises people care about whereas Coliseum being seen as, if anything, an SvC sequel. We know it's not so much that, but still. Similarly, Coliseum may have done better if it was released -before- XI in the States. I really can't complain, I expected XI to get more attention and it should, really, but it was mildly depressing for me to look forward to it ending up in our stores but there being no press and some of the major US review sites haven't even given it a review still. Anyway, play more Coliseum. At tournaments North Carolina goes to. So we can take your money.

I tried to do the same thing I do in GG 66>4>6+CD. I keep getting st.C(sometimes).. Damn it's really annoying. It messes with my mixup game.