Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zephyr07

Blazblue: Short Stories and Novel Discussion

2 hours ago, Stryker115 said:

Called it.

I new something was off when they showed Tenjou's form in Variable Heart.

I've never really trusted the dub since the japanese language mostly uses gender-neutral pronouns.

Plus most, if not all, the heads of the Amanohokosaka family has always been women ever since the very first Azure Shrine Maiden.

I'm guessing Homura is also a girl?

It's too OBVIOUS!

Though I'm somewhat loathe to bring it up since this opens a door to all sorts of gender arguments about 'what determines someone's gender' that could make tumblr proud...to be fair, 'he' can be and often still is used as a gender-neutral pronoun, and I've seen it used in place of things like 'watashi' more often than not.

Still doesn't make Tenjo suddenly being female feel like anything less than them pulling it out of their ass--which everybody knows is what they did for this.  Also, there's quite a lot of gender-based pronouns in Japanese too.

Homura's a little boy.  Unlike Tenjo, where one could argue that the male pronouns used to refer to him were just replacements for gender-neutral ones that might not exist in the English language, they explicitly call him Tenjo's son.  That'll only change if they suddenly retcon it.

3 hours ago, Orihalcon said:

to be fair, 'he' can be and often still is used as a gender-neutral pronoun, and I've seen it used in place of things like 'watashi' more often than not.

It isn't gender-neutral, though; English is pretty notorious for lacking a dedicated singular gender-neutral pronoun (which is a big reason so many people have been defaulting to using the singular "they"). And I'm not sure what you mean by it being used in place of "watashi," as that's a first-person pronoun, not third.

Honestly, speculation about whether Tenjo's gender was a last minute decision or why they did it doesn't matter.  Up 'til now, Tenjo was a non-entity in the story beyond being a mentor and motivation for Bang and Kagura, and having left a kid behind for Kagura's plot to overthrow the Imperator.  None of that changes depending on whether Tenjo was a man or a woman.  

I'm more disappointed that she is stated to be "young."  Pretty much no female character in Blazblue is middle aged or beyond for their species, the Kaka elder and maybe the restaurant owner being the only two I can think of (Nine seems to have stopped aging after she became Phantom).  Men have substantially more older characters, though still very few (Valkenhayn, Clavis, Relius, Jubei, Bang I believe is in his 40's)

Homura is almost certainly a boy.  Beyond being explicitly stated to be a son, all women in the Amanohokosaka family seem to have purple hair, and he doesn't (sex linked genetic traits typically are expressed more often in men, not women, because the Y chromosome is stunted. but this is fantasy so...).  The leader of the family may traditionally be a woman, but when there's only one person left alive in the family you have to make do.

Great points.

Remember though; she's old enough for Bang to be considered her apprentice; maybe she only looks young thanks to all that wonderful shrine maiden Ars Magus. That, or the same stuff that Pharrell uses; Illuminati hand cream.

Either way, I wonder what the point of the Ikaruga civil war was. I initially thought it was done to awaken Izanami, but the book apparently says that wasn't enough. What would be the point of either Terumi, Relius, or Izzy to obtain the positions they had in the NOL? Was Tenjo actively making it hard for them otherwise?

And are there any better pictures of Tenjo that came from the full novel release? There has to be another reason for her hiding her face that doesn't involve her resembling Saya. I also noticed that mask has the symbol as well.

As for Homura, he's pretty androgynous (to the point where him and Mei have the same VA in Japan), but Homura is typically a girl's name or intergender.Then again, so is Kagura.

On 10/20/2016 at 3:50 PM, redsilversnake said:

It isn't gender-neutral, though; English is pretty notorious for lacking a dedicated singular gender-neutral pronoun (which is a big reason so many people have been defaulting to using the singular "they"). And I'm not sure what you mean by it being used in place of "watashi," as that's a first-person pronoun, not third.

While it isn't gender-neutral by default, it can indeed and has been used as a gender-neutral pronoun.  Similar to using 'man' or 'mankind' to refer to all of humanity and not just males.

I have no idea why the Hell I wrote 'watashi' though; I wrote that post on very little sleep so I must've gone and confused myself.  To be honest, whatever third-person pronoun I was thinking of in Japanese, I can't remember.

6 hours ago, Orihalcon said:

While it isn't gender-neutral by default, it can indeed and has been used as a gender-neutral pronoun.  Similar to using 'man' or 'mankind' to refer to all of humanity and not just males.

I have no idea why the Hell I wrote 'watashi' though; I wrote that post on very little sleep so I must've gone and confused myself.  To be honest, whatever third-person pronoun I was thinking of in Japanese, I can't remember.

No one has ever actually used it as a gender-neutral pronoun; those who use it like it is just don't know about, or refuse to use, the singular "they."

On 2016-10-20 at 6:32 PM, Orihalcon said:

Homura's a little boy.  Unlike Tenjo, where one could argue that the male pronouns used to refer to him were just replacements for gender-neutral ones that might not exist in the English language, they explicitly call him Tenjo's son.  That'll only change if they suddenly retcon it.

Did they call Homura son, or heir? I don't remember myself but I will take your word for it. If Tenjo told Bang that Homura was her son, would a person like Bang ever question it? And if he knew the son was a girl, would he go against the wishes of his lord? After all if Tenjo called Homura My son then so would Bang right? Bang referred to Tenjo as his lord, so how reliable is Bang as a source? Of course this proves nothing really, I just figured I should mention it.

12 hours ago, VelvetHaze said:

Did they call Homura son, or heir? I don't remember myself but I will take your word for it. If Tenjo told Bang that Homura was her son, would a person like Bang ever question it? And if he knew the son was a girl, would he go against the wishes of his lord? After all if Tenjo called Homura "My son" then so would Bang right? Bang referred to Tenjo as "his lord", so how reliable is Bang as a source? Of course this proves nothing really, I just figured I should mention it.

Everything referring to both Tenjo and Homura has been painfully ambiguous, as far as I can remember. Tenjo is either their sensei or master, Homura is always the rightful heir or successor, never properly referred to as either son or daughter. Even the Wiki is careful to keep things ambiguous.

Well, one particular CS scene calls him "stinky old dead guy" (don't forget that infamous English localization adds its own stuff to the script so take it with a grain of salt).

Spoiler

LZeDlQ1.jpg

On 11/5/2016 at 0:46 PM, Sashide said:

Can someone explain Bloodedge experience to me, and Relius role in it? Also how does Naoto know Hazama?

Here's some 2 year's removed abridged explanations with no citations or prior review wiki reading. Feel free to lynch me for mistakes or remembering wrong. 

Bloodedge Experience, as the cover illustration might suggest is Naoto Kurogane's sidestory lite novels. Mainly it starts off like any other generic fantasy series with a spiky haired high school protagonist with just the hint of a lewd personality (Toaru no Majutsu, etc). Naoto you learn from the story, comes from an old fashioned family, the Terumi clan, which itself is a branch family of the Amanohokasaka clan (of Tenjo and Homura fame from the main BB games and Mei from Xblaze). Well Naoto despite being an heir to the family (he inherited the bloodline technique that all heads are supposed  to have, the Hunter Eye which basically gives him Death Note Shinigamai eyes or the ability to see the lifespan of people over their heads), he decided to distance himself from the clan and even took his mother's maiden name for his own. The story progresses and you learn about how Naoto kind of has a thing for his cousin (lol Japan) and how he plays harem and eroge games "cause" of his friend. So pretty much just bland character Japanese backstory for the most part.

With me so far? Well then I guess you can't guess what happens next?

He has a bad encounter one day after school and ends up "dying" trying to help Not!Rachel aka Raquel Alucard. She then decides to bring him back to life as a vampire! (KizuMonogatari lol) The kicker is Naoto only has about a month to do something about his vampirism since he'll go berserk and go after people and you just know protagonist man won't let that happen! So Naoto and Raquel get into various anime cliche hijinks such as bathing together, Raquel suddenly appearing at Naoto's school, Naoto's cousin getting jealous of Naoto's closeness to Raquel, (there is an n factorial amount of anime that use these tropes...To Aru comes to mind though) Raquel walking around nude, shipteasing etc etc. In between all this stuff, you learn that Raquel is having a quarel with some mages led by creeper named Spinner/ their servants.

Now a lot of the setup comes from the first novel of what I described, where you also meet various filler high school students and teachers who (S H O C K E R) somehow connect to the main villain in contrived ways!

Now onto the Relius question.

Throughout the filler, you learn that Raquel Alucard's father is Clavis Alucard (WHAT!? It's not just a lazy spinoff almost entirely disconnected from the main games!? obligatory *cough* Xblaze*cough* ). Now for normal Blazblue fans, we've known Clavis only in passing as this old vampire stuck in a wheel chair (Phase Shift 0 and Phase Shift 1, CP's retelling of Phase Shift 0 [when Ragna goes back in time], and from glossed-over remarks from Valkenhayn, Rachel, and Relius). In Bloodedge Experience though, we're introduced to Sexy McAwesome Clavis who upon meeting Naoto rips his arm off since Raquel made him a spare after he died (the arm gets reattached later). Mainly not much is told, but Clavis and Raquel have a somewhat distant relationship (you learn Raquel wasn't born normally or as a vampire but rather was 'made' from an embryo Clavis found after having an offscreen anime arc of hunting down somebody with the Soul Eater drive).

Now you're probably wondering: where does Relius factor into all this?

Well, you see Clavis is such a bad ass protagonist that this agency hired glorified mercenaries to hunt down Clavis cause his swagger is too much for this world to handle. These mercenaries happen to be Immortal Breakers, AKA Relius Clover and Valkenhayn R. Hellsing who are a brooding good cop-bad cop team straight outta of a 90s drama. The kicker is Relius is the good cop, while Valkenhayn is the bad cop. "But Valkenhayn is so composed and formal?" Well back in his younger days, Valkenhayn was basically always in pissed off Ragna mode (CT Ragna basically) and he attacked and killed Naoto 3 times.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, everyone's favorite and unexplained plot device is back: L I F E L I N K S!!!!!!!At least this time it makes sense, since Raquel made Naoto a vampire, he shares her life force (which is fucking ridiculous to Naoto's Death Note eyes) so he can get horribly mangled and torn to pieces with little reckless abundant within reason. "How did Valkenhayn kill our protagonist?" Well he ripped him limb from limb, which for the eagle eared fans is something you may have heard in Dub Valkenhayn matches (RIP in pieces BB dub  ;_ ;7) . So in summary, Valkenhayn was a brooding Wolf's Rain character with a bad attitude.

Relius in contrast, was definitely less "I'LL RESEARCH YOU!" and didn't see people quite like things yet, but he was still pretty distant (was still rocking a  mask, this time one more like a Zato-1 GG eye mask though). He didn't have his wife to look out for him either, but he appeared to mainly use his doll arms to fight (basically all his B attacks are his story drive in Bloodedge Experience).

Now back to P L O T!

So Clavis then gets (S H O C K E R) attacked at Naoto's apartment by the two resident BB characters, but Clavis waves them off like Hazama waves off Tsubaki (Too soon?) and even promises Naoto he won't let the two destroy the kitchen cause Clavis is so strong he doesn't even take these two badasses seriously.

----------

Now an aside. Before Bloodedge Experience, we knew in CS Extend that Valkenhayn and Relius fucking HATED each other, for...reasons that weren't explained. Even in the pre-CP days when we were watching streams thirsty for footage of new people, low and behold rumors began to spread of how Relius and Valkenhayn actually got a versus theme! Fucking miracle, I know for a character that isn't Ranga, Noel, Jin (I'm including HakuJin in this as well) to get an actual versus theme. Now some people back in the day were thinking that Relius made Valkenhayn, but Bloodedge Experience finally revealed that basically Relius goes emo-Sasuke to Valkenhayn's Naruto from the original manga. Case closed...for now I guess.

-------------

Now Bloodedge Experience continues to display Moriisms such as plottwist there's a Murakumo unit (real shocker was her name wasn't Saya *comedy drum sound plays*), named Kiiro who works for the Mitsurugi Agency (lol at that super minor Xblaze reference) who somehow shares a heart beat/ connection with our protagonist, Not!Ragna or I mean Naoto. You also encounter some minor pulls too, like how the evil mage dude Spinner fights with bugs...just like Arakune etc etc, but nothing too substantial.

Pretty much Naoto continues to get rekted a lot by Spinner's gank squad of people being possesed/ influenced by bugs in his quest to find the Azure or some shit for...reasons. This includes one of his teachers who is  a huge creep for...reasons. Eventually though, creeper teacher goes after Naoto's cousin so he ends up defeating him and unlocking his super saiyan Ragna hair. That's kind of volume 1.

Volume 2 I know less about, but basically, Naoto gets into more direct fights with Spinner and Kiiro (the murakumo)). First we meet Naoto's sister at the very end of Volume 1 and at the start of 2 she puts him into a chokeslam. Turns out his sister (LOL her name is Saya too) merced the the whole Terumi plan but Naoto with her drive Soul Eater (Ragna's drive for the uninformed) and has been in timeout with the Amanohokasaka clan for a while; that happens when you slaughter everyone else in your clan for..angst or something, at least Itachi had an excuse albeit a stupid one. She came to give Naoto a message or some shit from Mei, the clan leader (why do they even try to connect Xblaze sometimes...*sighs*). Thus Naoto has to deal with his own yandere sister along with the bad guys and our resident Blazblue Bois, Valk and Relius. Stuff happens, Saya gets into fights that put her life in danger or some shit, gets kidnapped or something. Spinner and Kiiro's groups end up working together to get the azure or some shit, and they kidnap Raquel since she's an embryo and connected to Clavis AKA the fucker that pisses in their cornflakes and ruins their dastardly evil plans all the time. Course Naoto gets pissed and goes after them.  ends up losing his left arm and a leg (he beat Ragna in that department in the lost limb department) but magically uses anger/plot device to temporarily remake his limbs to defeat Spinner with his astral, but never fear, Relius decided to make Naoto spare limbs...for reasons I don't know. RIP.

So Spinner ends up an Arakune monster as well after his fight with an obsession with the Azure dominating his personality. Now some people be saying that after CF, Arakune is actually liquid seither being controlled by Spinner's soul with Roy/Lotte Carmine's memories since we find out that Roy is actually just doing S C I E N C E in the boundary not giving a shit about his body or if even anyone learns what he does (he only continues to exist since his body continues to exist under Kokonoe's observation). Take that with a crumb of salt, but it would explain why most of the time Arakune doesn't have his inferiority complex and memories of Sector Seven Roy (since Roy is barely in the house and only comes to visit in CS to tell Lichi to fuck off very kindly). *shrugs* In b4 Arakune is also Saya though. kappa.

-------------------

Now after all is said and done, we then get an epilogue of Raquel telling Naoto to find her one day and Hazama introducing himself to Relius and Valk. Now this didn't make a lot of sense back in the day but basically it goes order of events as follows:

Blooededge Experience 1 and 2 except for the epilogue

BB games

Bloodedge Experience 2's epilogue

So everything in the Bloodedge Experience is the backstory of Blazblue in the 2090's (estimated based on Relius' age). The problem is we hear form Relius in Blazblue that his Naoto pretty much went through everything Central Fiction Naoto went through, but he eventually fails to get the Azure and has to be put down by Clavis Alucard since he becomes a berserk vampire. Also Our Relius never met Hazama back then. So after Central Fiction came out we learned that the Hazama that through himself into the cauldron after his Rachel torture scene is the Hazama that shows up in Bloodedge Experience Part 2's epilogue, except that he's younger cause...reasons.

Anyway, Naoto does also say some shit that was never in either novel, like how he met some Justice person that looked like Hakumen but was a girl or how Hazama gave him a hard time, but you can think of these taking place in a Bloodedge Experience Part 3 that never came out. After some hints though, it appears this Justice person is a Tsubaki Yayoi that goes to Bloodedge Experience timeline after Hazama or something and embodies Hakumen (who ironically attempted to embody the values and justice of his dead Wheel of Fortune Tsubaki/CT novel). So the reason Naoto came to BB to save his world despite it being the prequel to Blazblue is that Hazama and Tsubaki fucked up his timeline and made it depend on BB's timeline not ceasing to exist (Naoto's supposed to die if they aren't present to have a Butterfly Effect on the Bloodedge Experience 2.0 world/timeline). 

So answer your other question, Naoto knows Hazama from Bloodedge Experience Part 3 (which doesn't exist)...which takes place after Central Fiction despite occuring pre Blazblue in an alternate timeline where Naoto doesn't die.

So basically nothing too hard to grasp for a Blazblue fan if you got over how Ragna somehow was the BlackBeast from the bad times of CT when he failed to stop Nu-13 700+ times or how he got his own sword/Jacket (time's not linear or some shit).

So anyway, now you know...my understanding of Bloodedge Experience. Go ask Amatsumugi or Abyss on their tumblr's if you have more questions, read the wiki which goes more in depth, or read Zedar90 (Amatsumugi's old account on here) posts on Bloodedge Experience here on dustloop. They should be in the Fall 2014 period in a short story or similar thread. I forget where exactly they are, but it's after Xblaze came out.

1 hour ago, Axiomatic said:

Here's some 2 year's removed abridged explanations with no citations or prior review wiki reading. Feel free to lynch me for mistakes or remembering wrong. 

Bloodedge Experience, as the illustration might suggest is Naoto Kurogane's sidestory lite novels. Mainly it starts off like any other generic fantasy series with a spiky haired high school protagonist with just the hint of a lewd personality (Toaru no Majutsu, etc). Naoto you learn from the story, comes from an old fashioned family, the Terumi clan, which itself is a branch family of the Amanohokasaka clan (of Tenjo and Homura fame from the main BB games and Mei from Xblaze). Well Naoto despite being an heir to the family (he inherited the bloodline technique that all heads are supposed  to have, the Hunter Eye which basically gives him Death Note Shinigamai eyes or the ability to see the lifespan of people over their heads), he decided to distance himself from the clan and even took his mother's maiden name for his own. The story progresses and you learn about how Naoto kindof has a thing for his cousin (lol Japan) and how he plays harem and eroge games cause of his friend. So pretty much just bland character Japanese backstory for the most part.

With me so far? Well then I guess you can't guess what happens next?

He has a bad encounter one day afterschool and ends up "dying" trying to help Not!Rachel aka Raquel Alucard. She then decides to bring him back to life as a vampire! (KizuMonogatari lol) The kicker is Naoto only has about a month to do something about his vampirism since he'll go berserk and go after people and you just know protagonist man won't let that happen! So Naoto and Raquel get into various anime cliche hijinks such as bathing together, Raquel suddenly appearing at Naoto's school, Naoto's cousin getting jealous of Naoto's closeness to Raquel, Raquel walking around nude, shipteasing etc etc. In between all this stuff, you learn that Raquel is having a quarell with some mages led by creeper named Spinner/ their servants.

Now a lot of the setup comes from the first novel of what I described, where you also meet various filler high schoolers and teachers who (S H O C K E R) somehow connect to the main villain!

Now onto the Relius question.

Througout the filler, you learn that Raquel Alucard's father is Clavis Alucard (WHAT!? It's not just a lazy spinoff almost entierely disconnected from the main games!? obligatory *cough* Xblaze*cough* ). Now for normal Blazblue fans, we've known Clavis only in passing as this old vampire stuck in a wheel chair (Phase Shift 0 and Phase Shift 1, CP's retelling of Phase Shift 0 [when Ragna goes back in time], and from passign remarks from Valkenhayhn, Rachel, and Relius). In Bloodedge Experience though, we meet Sexy McAwesome Clavis who upon meeting Naoto rips his arm off since Raquel made him a spare after he died (the arm gets reattched later). Mainly not much is told, but Clavis and Raquel have a somewhat distant relationship (you learn Raquel wasn't born normally or as a vampire but rather was 'made' from an embryo Clavis found after having an offscreen anie arc of hunting down somebody with the Soul Eater drive).

Now you're probably wondering: where does Relius factor into all this?

Well, you see Clavis is such a bad ass protagonist that this agency hired glorified mercenaries to hunt down Clavis cause his swagger is too much for this world to handle. These mercenaries happen to be Immortal Breakers, AKA Relius Clover and Valkenhayn R. Hellsing who are a brooding good cop-bad cop team straight outta of a 90s drama. The kicker is Relius is the good cop, while Valkenhayn is the bad cop. "But Valkenhayn is so composed and formal?" Well back in his younger days, Valkenhayn was bascially always in pissed off Ragna mode (CT Ragna bascially) and he attacked and killed Naoto 3 times.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, everyone's favorite and unexplained plot device is back: L I F E L I N K S!!!!!!!At least this time ti makes sense, since Raquel made Naoto a vampire, he shares her lifeforce (which is fucking ridciulous to Naoto's Death Note eyes) so he can get horribly mangled and torn to pieces with little reckless abundant within reason. "How did Valkenhayn kill our protagonist?" Well he ripped him limb from limb, which for the eagle eared fans is something you may have heard in Dub Valkenhayn matches (RIP in pieces BB dub  ;_ ;7) . So in summary, Valkenhayn was a brooding Wolf's Rain character with a bad attitude.

Relius in contrast, was definitely less "I'LL RESEARCH YOU!" and didn't see people quite like things yet, but he was still pretty distant (was still rocking a  mask, this time one more like a Zato-1 GG eye mask though). He didn't have his wife to look out for him either, but he appeared to mainly use his doll arms to fight (basically all his B attacks are his story drive in Bloodedge Experience).

Now back to P L O T!

So Clavis then gets (S H O C K E R) attacked at Naoto's apartment by the two resident BB characters, but Clavis waves them off like Hazama waves off Tsubaki (Too soon?) and even promises Naoto he won't let the two destroy the kitchen cause Clavis is so strong he doesn't even take these two badasses seriously.

----------

Now an aside. Before Bloodedge Experience, we knew in CS Extend that Valkenhayn and Relius fucking HATED each other, for...reasons that weren't explained. Even in the pre-CP days when we were watching streams thirsty for footage of new people, low and behold rumors began to spread of how Relius and Valkenhayn actually got a versus theme! Fucking miracle, I know for a character that isn't Ranga, Noel, Jin (I'm including HakuJin in this as well) to get an actual versus theme. Now some people back in the day were thinking that Relius made Valkenhayn, but Bloodedge Experience finally revealed that basically Relius goes emo-Sasuke to Valkenhayn's Naruto from the orignal manga. Case closed...for now I guess.

-------------

Now Bloodedge Experience continues to display Moriisms such as plottwist there's a Murakumo unit (real shocker was her name wasn't Saya *comedy drum sound plays*), named Kiiro who works for the Mitsurugi Agency (lol at that super minor Xblaze reference) who somehow shares a heart beat/ connection with our protagonist, Not!Ragna or I mean Naoto. You also encounter some minor pulls too, like how the evil mage dude Spinner fights with bugs...just like Arakune etc etc, but nothign too substantial.

Pretty much Naoto continues to get rekted alot by Spinner's gank squad of people being possesed/ influenced by bugs in his quest to find the Azure or some shit for...reasons. This includes one of his teachers who is  a huge creep for...reasons. Eventually though, creeper teacher goes after Naoto's cousin so he ends up defeating him and unlocking his super saiyan Ragna hair. That's kind of volume 1.

Volume 2 I know less about, but basically, Naoto gets into more direct fights with Spinner and Kiiro (the murakumo)). First we meet Naoto's sister at the very end of Volume 1 and at the start of 2 she puts him into a chokeslam. Turns out his sister (LOL her name is Saya too) merced the the whole Terumi plan but Naoto with her drive Soul Eater (Ragna's drive for the uninformed) and has been in timeout with the Amanohokasaka clan for a while. She came to give Naoto a meassage or some shit from Mei, the clan leader (why do they even try to connect Xblaze sometimes...*sighs*). Thus Naoto has to deal with his own yandere sister along with the bad guys and our resident Blazblue Bois, Valk adn Relius. Stuff happens, Saya gets into fights that put her life in danger or some shti, gets kidnapped or something. Spinner and Kiiro's gropus end up working together to get the azure or some shit, and they kidnap Raquel since she's an embryo and connected to Clavis AKA the fucker that pisses in their cornflakes and ruins their dastardly evil plans all the time. Course Naoto gets pissed and goes after them.  ends up losing his left arm and a leg (he beat Ragna in that department in the lost limb department) but magically uses anger/plot device to temporarily remake his limbs to defeat Spinner with his astral, but never fear, Relius decided to make Naoto spare limbs...for reasons I don't know. RIP.

So Spinner ends up an Arakune monster as well after his fight with an obsession with the Azure dominating his personality. Now some people be saying that after CF, Arakune is actually liquid seither being controlled by Spinner's soul with Roy/Lotte Carmine's memories since we find out that Roy is actually just doing S C I E N C E in the boundary not giving a shit about his body or if even anyone learns what he does (he only continues to exist since his body continues to exist under Kokonoe's observation). Take that with a crumb of salt, but it would explain why most of the time Arakune doesn't have his inferiority complex and memories of Sector Seven Roy (since Roy is barely in teh house and only comes to visit in CS to tell Lichi to fuck off very kindly). *shrugs* In b4 Arakune is also Saya though. kappa.

-------------------

Now after all is said and done, we then get an epilogue of Raquel telling Naoto to find her one day and Hazama introducing himself to Relius and Valk. Now this didn't make a lot of sense back in the day but basically it goes order of events as follows:

Blooededge Experience 1 and 2 except for the epilogue

BB games

Bloodedge Experience 2's epilogue

So everything in the Bloodedge Experience is the backstory of Blazblue in the 2090's (estimated based on Relius' age). The problem is we hear form Relius in Blazblue that his Naoto pretty much went through everything Central Fiction Naoto went through, but he eventually fails to get the Azure and has to be put down by Clavis Alucard since he becomes a berserk vampire. Also Our Relius never met Hazama back then. So after Central Fiction came out we learned that the Hazama that through himself into the cauldron after his Rachel torture scene is the Hazama that shows up in Bloodedge Experience Part 2's epilogue, except that he's younger cause...reasons.

Anyway, Naoto does also say some shit that was never in either novel, like how he met some Justice person that looked like Hakumen but was a girl or how Hazama gave him a hard time, but you can think of these takiing place in a Bloodedge Experience Part 3 that never came out. After some hints though, it appears this Justice person is a Tsubaki Yayoi that goes to Bloodedge Experience timeline after Hazama or something and embodies Hakumen (who ironically attempted to embody the values and justice of his dead Wheel of Fortune Tsubaki/CT novel). So the reason Naoto came to BB to save his world despite it beign the prequel to Blazblue is that Hazama and Tsubaki fucked up his timeline and made it depend on BB's timeline not ceasing to exist (Naoto's supposed to die if they aren't present to have a Butterfly Effect on the Bloodedge Expericne 2.0 world/timeline). 

So answer your other question, Naoto knows Hazama from Bloodedge Experience Part 3 (which doesn't exist)...which takes place after Central Fiction despite occuring pre Blazblue in an alternate timeline where Naoto doesn't die.

So basically nothing too hard to grasp for a Blazblue fan if you got over how Ragna somehow was the BlackBeast from the bad times of CT when he failed to stop Nu-13 700+ times or how he got his own sword/Jacket (time's not linear or some shit).

So anyway, now you know...my understanding of Bloodedge Experience. Go ask Amatsumugi or Abyss on their tumblr's if you have more questions, read the wiki which goes more in depth, or read Zedar90 (Amatsumugi's old account on here) posts on Bloodedge Experience here on dustloop. They should be in the Fall 2014 period in a short story or similar thread. I forget where exactly they are, but it's after Xblaze came out.

Thank you so much!

Admittedly I came here because the wiki didn't really answer my questions, but I think I get it now. Oh blazblue.

Just to be crystal skull clear about Naoto, I thought it best to put this in it's own comment rather than edit it in:

There are technically two Naoto's involved in Blazblue (just like there is Code Embryo Es before she became "god" and Lost Memories post-god Es).

1.) Non Central Fiction Naoto (NCF Naoto)

2.) Playable Central Fiction Naoto (Playable Naoto)

So both Naotos experience Bloodedge Experience Part 1 and Part 2 (kek). It's just for NCF Naoto, Hazama never shows up in his Bloodedge Experience 2 epilogue while Hazama does show up in Playable Naoto's Bloodedge Experience 2 epilogue. So you can think of each timeline being separate. This difference sortof explains why when all the Central Fiction shit was going down, that Relius and Valk didn't just disappear like their world since they belonged to NCF Naoto's Bloodedge Experience (the TRUE events of Blazblue in the 2090s) and not to playable Naoto's world which did disappear.

So NCF Naoto just doesn't experience Bloodedge Experience 3 and instead ends up losing his two rounds against Unlimited Hell Mode, infinite meter and overdrive Clavis once he becomes a berserk vampire. Playable Naoto however, doesn't become a berserk vampire and so he experiences that hypothetical Bloodedege Experience 3 I mentioned in the previous post. (let's not get into semantics about how NCF Naoto probably just experienced a Bad End route, since it would probably be like the Wheel of Fortune Hakumen timeline in relation to the main Blazblue mythos/"timeline"/how fans view the series connected.).

The split just happens to be Hazama and maybe Tsubakumen entering Bloodedge Experience, so unless Central Fiction gets the good ending, Playable Naoto would never exist since NCF Naoto ends up dying in a world not influenced by Central Fiction's events. That hopefully clarifies the link between Bloodedge Experience and the Blazblue games and I admit it was a very trolly thing to do make us believe it was just a prequel. Thankfully almost everything that happened in the novels did in fact happen for Blazblue.

Thus in summation, our Naoto pullled A Hakumen on BB's world after Hazama and Tsubaki pulled on A Hakumen on his world.

A Hakumen

/ ā  Haw-koo-men/

idiom

1. The act of entering a different timeline or set of events with the intent to actively change outcomes or influence the predetermined sequence of events; may or may not include Seigi and Unit Cookie Dough. kappa. 

On 5/11/2016 at 3:59 PM, Axiomatic said:

Now some people back in the day were thinking that Relius made Valkenhayn, but Bloodedge Experience finally revealed that basically Relius goes emo-Sasuke to Valkenhayn's Naruto from the original manga. Case closed...for now I guess.

Not everyone watches/reads/likes Naruto. Can you elaborate on this?

16 hours ago, Sashide said:

Welp, having finally read the part of Ps4 with Kazuma asking Trinity to remove Mind-eater...she deserves nothing of what she got.

What, you mean she didn't deserve all that flak she got from Terumi and others for her "betrayal"? Or something else? Just curious, never really got to read Phase Shift novels myself.

5 hours ago, In&Out said:

What, you mean she didn't deserve all that flak she got from Terumi and others for her "betrayal"? Or something else? Just curious, never really got to read Phase Shift novels myself.

I mean...Kazuma's awful and she was just super happy to see him again, and I honestly felt really bad for her reading it.  Also I am curious if anyone would want to read the scene? A friend translated it and Baka Tsuki is nowhere close last I checked.

On 22.02.2017 at 7:22 AM, Sashide said:

I'm sorry for the delay, my friend wanted to put it up on her tumblr first! In any case, here it is!

I'd love to hear what you guys think of it too.

That's... just... Kazuma, you little shit!

Anyway, great translation! Thanks to your friend for translating this and to you for posting it here. A question though, according to this fragment, Kazuma's eyes are green. But I always assumed that if he's identical to Terumi and Hazama, his eyes should be yellow. I even initially thought it was a mistake, but no, Kazuma's green eyes are mentioned several times in this text. Was it always known that he had green eyes? Because this is the first time I hear about it.

5 hours ago, In&Out said:

That's... just... Kazuma, you little shit!

Anyway, great translation! Thanks to your friend for translating this and to you for posting it here. A question though, according to this fragment, Kazuma's eyes are green. But I always assumed that if he's identical to Terumi and Hazama, his eyes should be yellow. I even initially thought it was a mistake, but no, Kazuma's green eyes are mentioned several times in this text. Was it always known that he had green eyes? Because this is the first time I hear about it.

I think his eyes change color when Terumi is in control. If you look at this image from PS1 Kazuma in Terumi mode does indeed have yellow eyes. Even if Kazuma is meant to be as close to Terumi as possible to be a suitable host, it's reasonable to assume that eye color doesn't matter. It is strange though that Hazama always has yellow eyes, even when he's separated from Terumi (the image is from Hazama's CF Act 2 Arcade mode), while Kazuma's seems to change. It is likely there just to have a visual indicator that Terumi is not in control, which is very important considering the whole separation to escape Mind Eater thing. Either that or Mori just made a mistake.

14 hours ago, Ogiga99 said:

I think his eyes change color when Terumi is in control. If you look at this image from PS1 Kazuma in Terumi mode does indeed have yellow eyes. Even if Kazuma is meant to be as close to Terumi as possible to be a suitable host, it's reasonable to assume that eye color doesn't matter. It is strange though that Hazama always has yellow eyes, even when he's separated from Terumi (the image is from Hazama's CF Act 2 Arcade mode), while Kazuma's seems to change. It is likely there just to have a visual indicator that Terumi is not in control, which is very important considering the whole separation to escape Mind Eater thing. Either that or Mori just made a mistake.

Hey! So I went and talked with my friend and looked at the jp myself (I'm a lot more fluent in listening comp), and the green actually does refer to Trinity's eyes. Japanese often doesn't have subjects in the sentence, and the way it was phrased my friend thought it meant Kazuma's because of the attention being drawn to it, but that isn't the case. She's canon-blind so she didn't know that Trinity's eyes being wide and bright green is one of her core points (as Kazuma says whenever he sees her and is being truthful).

So TLDR: kazuma's eyes are yellow and all mentions to green eyes are Trinity's. Sorry for the translation mishap!

8 hours ago, Sashide said:

Hey! So I went and talked with my friend and looked at the jp myself (I'm a lot more fluent in listening comp), and the green actually does refer to Trinity's eyes. Japanese often doesn't have subjects in the sentence, and the way it was phrased my friend thought it meant Kazuma's because of the attention being drawn to it, but that isn't the case. She's canon-blind so she didn't know that Trinity's eyes being wide and bright green is one of her core points (as Kazuma says whenever he sees her and is being truthful).

So TLDR: kazuma's eyes are yellow and all mentions to green eyes are Trinity's. Sorry for the translation mishap!

Ok. That makes more sense. When making that post I went back to PS1 and to see if they mentioned his eye color and they didn't but they did frequently mention Trinity's green eyes so that is consistent.

8 hours ago, Sashide said:

That's what I thought when I first noticed this, to be honest, which is why I felt the need to clarify. Because when I saw the narration talking about "wide green eyes", Trinity was my first guess. But hey, this stuff happens. Especially if your friend is not familiar with canon. No worries!