Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ff17cloud

How do I lose the habit of mashing buttons?

Now, I am a HUGE button masher. I came from MVC2 and Tekken, where my habit of button mashing formed. When I go to play Blazblue CS, I'm screwing up combos, I can't advance even past the 3rd challenge for any character, actually, not even the first combo they display.

Just, is there a way to reduce my habit of button-mashing? Sure, I still play MVC2, but I just want to stop the over pressing, I'm trying to do a "hell's fang" with ragna, and all he does is jab. I can't seem to slow down, or I'll stand there like tree that's been in a yard for generations, and when I speed up, I'm like a drunk driver.

Any advice?

The best advice I can give is to take it slow. I'm new to this one too, and what I've had to do is just go into practice and just clear my thoughts (like a jedi, bro). Then instead of trying to picture the whole thing inyour head just try and learn the individual parts and what different things you may be able to do with them. After that the only real mashing problem I've had is if I'm panicking lol

Hope this helps!

Slow down and take things one step at a time. Try to do the quarter circle back motion and then carefully press A, and keep practicing until you can do it faster. Same thing with combos. Take them one move, then eventually parts at a time, until they become muscle memory, then try another part. Then try to practice the whole thing.

Figure some combos you want to learn (Bnbs etc) and take those combos to Training mode

Open up the menu and put display input on and try to get the combo as close as you can on both sides of the screen (P1 and P2)

This should hopefully build up some muscle memory to where you wont have to mash and you could literally (can) do it with your eyes closed.

Like Advil said learn the individual parts and just piece them all togther

Mashing is just a bad habit to break but breaking it is rewarding seeing as you will be more solid with your combos and you also wont get counterhit all the time for massive damage

It comes in time >.> Good Luck

lower your sugar intake...
lol, i dont rly like sweets XD, cept nutella, o_O i dunno, i rush everything, i go on the court, i rush my serves (i dont throw the ball so high), i play piano, i play a "Libera Me" From Hell 20x normal speed, I think I should seriously cut on the carbs though, that might be why, too uch rice XD

U can mash on Tekken? O_o ... anyway BB is a very tolerant games for masher imo, but as long as you know what you're doing, and u can also try to take more attention on Visual or sound cue, to timming your mash and next work on muscle memory

and also some combos on BB're weird and easier to do it by mashing buttons (eg : Haz air juggle >_>)

U can mash on Tekken? O_o ... anyway BB is a very tolerant games for masher imo, but as long as you know what you're doing, and u can also try to take more attention on Visual or sound cue, to timming your mash and next work on muscle memory

and also some combos on BB're weird and easier to do it by mashing buttons (eg : Haz air juggle >_>)

You can mash out tekken combos if you are bad. And want to lose.

Calm down. Breathe deep. Watch the game you are playing, dont just mash out combos. Look at the screen when you play.

Thats all i got.

Calm down. Breathe deep. Watch the game you are playing, dont just mash out combos. Look at the screen when you play.

Thats all i got.

Listen to this dude.

Just practice your combos.

And instead of doing 5BB > 2BB > 5CCCC > 214AAAA > 214DDDDD, just take your time and make sure you can do your combos by hitting the button once, instead of mashing it out.

Once you learn the timing for something, you're not going to forget it. Also, in BB hitting a button once actually has higher chance of recognizing your input than mashing that same button, timing-wise.

Listen to this dude.

Just practice your combos.

And instead of doing 5BB > 2BB > 5CCCC > 214AAAA > 214DDDDD, just take your time and make sure you can do your combos by hitting the button once, instead of mashing it out..

This is what I'm currently trying to learn. On a related note, getting an arcade stick got me to stop button mashing Noel - unfortunately, I'm worse when not mashing buttons with her while in drive mode, since (I guess) this added some Schroedinger's Cat like uncertainty to my moves. On the other hand not mashing buttons with her opens up neat tricks like Jump-D-Cancling.

It also allows you to react to IB and gtfo so you don't get raped.

If you were mashing, your next attack is already coming out, and you can introduce your face to my friends Inferno Divider and Jayoku Hotenjin.

They'll be pleased to meet you, I'm sure.

It also allows you to react to IB and gtfo so you don't get raped.

If you were mashing, your next attack is already coming out, and you can introduce your face to my friends Inferno Divider and Jayoku Hotenjin.

They'll be pleased to meet you, I'm sure.

Haha, yes, that's true. I guess what's hard for me is to figure out the exact frame-moment to input the next button for combos. It would be nice of Arksys included some kind of meter in the next game's training mode to see input/invulnerability frames or the like.

Haha, yes, that's true. I guess what's hard for me is to figure out the exact frame-moment to input the next button for combos. It would be nice of Arksys included some kind of meter in the next game's training mode to see input/invulnerability frames or the like.

You know we have frame data, (listing invul frames, etc.)

And a hitbox viewer, and complete sprite sets for your character, right?

(Excluding Mu and Makoto, I believe.)

You know we have frame data, (listing invul frames, etc.)

And a hitbox viewer, and complete sprite sets for your character, right?

(Excluding Mu and Makoto, I believe.)

Oh, really? Where?

Who do you play, I'm not sure exactly where to find the sprites atm, so I'll have to look.

EDIT- You can download everyone's sprites, or just your character's.

Have a look through the opening post, you'll find what you need.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?8287-BlazBlue-Continuum-Shift-Sprites&p=558914&viewfull=1#post558914

Hitbox viewer is on youtube.

EDIT- Select your char for frame data.

http://dustloop.com/guides/bbcs/

Who do you play, I'm not sure exactly where to find the sprites atm, so I'll have to look.

Hitbox viewer is on youtube.

EDIT- Select your char for frame data.

http://dustloop.com/guides/bbcs/

I play Noel and Tsubaki.

Well, let's take a look on that frame data...

OMGWTFBBQ?

Well, that will take a while to get down to.. Also, the Notation Guide seems to be missing.

I am not a button masher and have never been. My first fighting game was soul caliber on the dreamcast, and I got good with Sigfried who required good timing, or else the fast characters would dish out serious punishment. Also a big fan of original smash. Now I am learning guilty gear AC+ on ps2, and I can honestly say mashing buttons has never crossed my mind.

So here is the deal. Execution is everything. Go into practice and see how many punches you can do in a row, what you can Gatling them into. As sol-badguy in guilty gear a basic gatling should be able to get over 8 hits. Then look up the special moves and practice doing them one at a time.

I usually do the moves over and over until I can do them at least 80% of the time.

Then I turn on cpu for my beat up dummy in practice so they throw some attacks at me. This way I can practice blocking, Bursting (guilty gear), FB, and also it puts pressure on me during move execution. Its one thing to do the move on command, its another to do it on command when your getting attacked or defending, or in a combo.

Then I rinse and repeat that with other moves.

I am not a pro by any means, but here is my super pro tip... If you see yourself starting to trend with certain moves and combos, you will probably still be able to win against newbs/scrubs, but any decent player will learn your style and punish you for repetition. I make a point of looking for moves that I like to depend on and practicing not using them at all to see what I come up with. I will also do practice matches where I fight CPU only using moves associated with a single button so I can learn how to maximize all my abilities. Other times I try to do practice without using any specials so I can focus on making my normals count too.

I am by no means a master of guilty gear, as its level of depth compared to soul caliber or smash is hardly measurable, but I have never been a button cruncher, and I have at least managed to get good enough to beat sol-badguy's story mode and arcade mode after just a few hours of practice.

OH FORGOT!!! make sure when you practice you do it against different characters :P I usually go random, but sometimes you might wanna pick someone who always seems to beat you up.

(on a side note, I don't own a ps3 or have BB, so I can only talk about my GG experience, but it should still be relevant to BB)

my problem is that when im getting hit by a combo, i tend to mash so that i can tech out as fast as possible, but because i mash, it also tend to end up with me mashing and then getting counter hit as soon as i tech out of say, an air combo..are there any tips for teching combos without mashing?

^same here.... I only realized it recently

I am not a button masher and have never been. My first fighting game was soul caliber on the dreamcast, and I got good with Sigfried who required good timing, or else the fast characters would dish out serious punishment. Also a big fan of original smash. Now I am learning guilty gear AC+ on ps2, and I can honestly say mashing buttons has never crossed my mind.

So here is the deal. Execution is everything. Go into practice and see how many punches you can do in a row, what you can Gatling them into. As sol-badguy in guilty gear a basic gatling should be able to get over 8 hits. Then look up the special moves and practice doing them one at a time.

good luck on clean hit CV :psyduck:

but on topic, I find that button mashing goes away as you get used to a character, as Jin I can do my combos without mashing (besides sekka combos), but as Hazama I do find myself mashing on the mist- er I mean serpent's eggs benedict. In GG I used to try and mash out 2D>orb as Ky, then my KJ FRC combos as Johnny, but that's gone now, and I can do them easily.... except that FRC....... and I need the proper spacing....