Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superking™

West Coast Canada IV: "Ah yes, 'Guilty Gear' - we have already dismissed that game!"

Four Horsemen

I was still thinking Marvel when you said this. Wolverine is still a better replacement Horseman than Ric Flair though, despite them being probably being about the same age.

I was still thinking Marvel when you said this. Wolverine is still a better replacement Horseman than Ric Flair though, despite them being probably being about the same age.

I think Cyber Akuma was the best horseman of Death.

at some of the dollar stores here, they try to make their products look somehow "better"/more appealing by adding English translations of their product labels.

the problem is, if you actually know how to speak English, they don't make it look better, only more hilarious.

for example, my wife was looking for something in the kids section for her students (at school), and i was just looking at the toy labels when I stumbled upon this one, for a wooden crocodile toy:

"A full of warmth from the trees!

Pull the string, and you can hear sounds!

CROCODILE

Let's choose according to your feeling

I wish that you have a nice day."

Another time, I was looking for a book end, and I stumbled across this gem:

"STEEL BOOK STAND

I want to go to the nature for relaxation be absorbed in sweet memories then you will be a part of the nature."

even some of the product names are hilarious, because they make them in "English" sometimes. i forget what store it was, but i still have a picture in my cellphone of this bottle-opener set called "EMO" lol.

i'll have to upload my pictures sometime, there're some other great Engrish signs out here.

I once saw a pack of Bingo Dabbers called "OH SHIT!" There was a picture of an old lady yelling on it. I assume it was supposed to say 'Bingo!' but then Japan.

black amex card

oh shi- zaizen jotaro coming back to me in a rush

---------------

Some of you might've played Spelunker, which was this brutally hard platforming game that was arguably more about dying horribly in a dark cave than actually exploring said cave. But since beating the game is in fact possible, it's probably more of a Purgatory than some Sisyphean nightmare. Irem, famous for their awesome April fool's things, has gone and made an animated short about Spelunker dude as a teacher.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201102/23040640.html

In case you're wondering, almost everything is lethal to him, including falling from too great of a height (which is not really that much height, either!).

I'm pretty sure we mentioned Spelunker HD here at some point. I still haven't tried it yet.

snap chang your phone still out of commission?

i finally sat down with a cup of oj and read the wiki entry for a serbian film

after i finished it i was truly impressed with some of the director interviews about what the film was supposed to represent

truly the rape of serbian people

now the ultimate combo night would be to watch a serbian film then proceed to play ff2

truly the rape of my mind

on that note, i bought a kindle 3, the opportunity cost of having 3g and wifi for a device for me to spend easy quality time reading was too much to handle, i mean, without 3g it would have been 130, it sure has dropped since release, and since i don't plan on getting a phone with data (which easily burns more than 50$ as a gross sum) which i would use probably on fb/wiki (that can be accomplished on the kindle) i am so hype for it

Hey Stefan, Dragon Age 2 demo is available. Kinda bummed you can't pull the camera all the way back anymore, but everything else feels better. Kinda did the whole ME2 thing where models and art design look a lot more distinctive, and combat feels nicer.

Pfttt Kindle. I don't even use my free one.

should be getting my phone back today

I know the ipad is out of your price range, but the kindle definitely doesn't impress me; lack of colour display is also quite a turn-off. you could probably have waited for and considered the samsung/dell/research in motion/whatever-else-clarence-can-name tablets that are also on the up and coming. clearly you should have asked yuan for his free one instead and offered to pay $20 to ship it or whatever :psyduck:

Hey Stefan, Dragon Age 2 demo is available. Kinda bummed you can't pull the camera all the way back anymore, but everything else feels better. Kinda did the whole ME2 thing where models and art design look a lot more distinctive, and combat feels nicer.

3g, kindle 3? not too late to cancel order, l o l

chang honestly the only thing that turns me off with the kindle is the fact that you can't browse mangos as easily and read on the internet, but other than that's its pretty much fine, color display isn't really necessary when the device is built to for reading; i thought about a tablet but then that just becomes ergonomically and economically taxing and sends me down that train of thought with "but i could do so much more with a bigger device". i dunno, i also don't really have the same sort of habits of using devices around the house like you do, pretty much just pick up a book and sit down in bed always

another downer i guess is that the web browser is experimental but people have shown it works fine with email and wiki and the like. no youtube, but oh well, it is easily 300$ cheaper than the ipad

and for what it's worth, i can justify the cost easily by reading papers for school / newspapers during downtime on the bus / work. the only functionality i would be really missing from the ipad would be a nice gui, games (which i don't play), and video playback capability

vs a tablet i guess i would be missing a lot more but i would also be missing easily 300-500$ more in the wallet

Yeah but Mike, do you actually read BOOKS on your iPad? Or would you rather just dick around with all the other stuff that's available? I still the the Kindle is the better device for people that want to do reading...like...books and stuff. The only problem is I pretty much only read journals now, and the Kindle is awfultrocious at that. Doesn't scale pdfs so shit is formatted badly. Ironically the iPad would suit me better. :(

As an all-around consumer device I think Kindles were subsumed by tablets before they even really got their chance to shine, which is kind of a shame since their prices are dropping like mad (sub-150 right?) I mean, I personally still would rather dead tree over Kindle for millions of reasons, but with some clever product positioning Kindles can still probably exist for a comfortable niche of users. The problem is, that niche is going to get pretty small now if/when smartphones get more popular/powerful. The only people I know who bought Kindles were early adopters and they probably moved on to other things once that became old hat.

Mainstream consumers don't know or care what the Kindle can do for them (and recognize that paper is much more disposable / low-cost everyday mental investment), and tech enthusiasts have moved on to something better. Which is a problem since more discerning tech enthusiasts are probably the main demographic for this device nowadays. They're either a) the kinds of people who buy TI-83's for shits and giggles and b) really discerning power users / feature maximizers on a budget. The problem is, these are demographics who give a shit about tech and are willing to invest time in it, while still working off a limited budget; the average tech enthusiast either has a lot of money to spend or foolishly burns money on stupid first-gen technologies beyond his means.

lollllll

ultimate sadness:

Research journals have approximately zero literary value, but are ostensibly good for you... just like all kinds of other synthetic supplements and snake oils.

noooo my tekken stick is dead, just that the wire is screwed up with connection problem inside of it (probably due to wrapping and improper entanglement).

according to ORIKASA, Wu you think can fix it?