Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reioumu

Melty Blood

Either way, here's hoping the next iteration gets some sort of online play. PC release would just be the do-it-yourself consolation prize. Generally inferior to the real deal, but better than not existing.

Personally I think TM/FB have been shooting themselves in the foot by not making an XBLA-PSN port for the last two iterations. Such a huge exposure opportunity (especially in the west) squandered. This isn't some uncertain startup franchise at this point. This series is on the forefront of the fighter scene and has been for a while. It deserves better than a PS2 port every other iteration.

I don't know what's more frightening. How Powered Ciel reminds me of CS1 Ragna except without crappy health or how Powered Ciel was violently and brutally raped by Yumiduka at the end.

Hopefully they'll release this iteration on PSN or LIVE, (most likely LIVE as PSN's been losing trust :/ )

Kinda hard seeing this as another PS2 release, but looking back it's quite possible too >__>

Personally I think TM/FB have been shooting themselves in the foot by not making an XBLA-PSN port for the last two iterations. Such a huge exposure opportunity (especially in the west) squandered. This isn't some uncertain startup franchise at this point. This series is on the forefront of the fighter scene and has been for a while. It deserves better than a PS2 port every other iteration.

I don't think they are shooting themselves in the foot when they probably don't even need to release it for console.. Seeing as how MB is still one of the most played arcade games in Japan.

Hopefully they'll release this iteration on PSN or LIVE, (most likely LIVE as PSN's been losing trust :/ )

Kinda hard seeing this as another PS2 release, but looking back it's quite possible too >__>

Seeing as how the game's audience is Japanese I highly doubt they will skip PS3 in favor of Xbox, it would be awesome to get it on both though.

Seeing as how the game's audience is Japanese I highly doubt they will skip PS3 in favor of Xbox, it would be awesome to get it on both though.

you would think that regarding ps3/360 but for some reason tons of japanese shmups and things are jp360 only

you would think that regarding ps3/360 but for some reason tons of japanese shmups and things are jp360 only

I think that's because of how Cave distributes shit.. Deals or something. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what's up.

Well according to 5bp's philosophy it breaks down to harder numbers.

You see not many Japanese people have a 360 because most of the games that are exclusive to it are bit more American and thus making it less desirable, so only true dedicated fans and junkies own them. So it is believed that this equate to 1:1 sales of any "anime" or niche title released on it. In other words it's thought that just about every Japanese person who owns a 360 WILL buy X game.

Now the PS3 is much widely own due to a larger variety of titles, because there are so many different types of gamers that purchase it, it is though sales would not come anywhere near as close. How exactly this train of thought works I'm not sure, but Japanese 360 exclusives do sell ok, they usually wind up in the top 20s for a week or two, and sometimes that's good enough apparently.

(thanks Ichipoo~ Now just need it to be translated = 3=)

Well according to 5bp's philosophy it breaks down to harder numbers.

You see not many Japanese people have a 360 because most of the games that are exclusive to it are bit more American and thus making it less desirable, so only true dedicated fans and junkies own them. So it is believed that this equate to 1:1 sales of any "anime" or niche title released on it. In other words it's thought that just about every Japanese person who owns a 360 WILL buy X game.

Now the PS3 is much widely own due to a larger variety of titles, because there are so many different types of gamers that purchase it, it is though sales would not come anywhere near as close. How exactly this train of thought works I'm not sure, but Japanese 360 exclusives do sell ok, they usually wind up in the top 20s for a week or two, and sometimes that's good enough apparently.

Still salty that I'm not gonna be able to enjoy Deathsmiles, Senko no Ronde, etc. on my PS3, though Deathsmiles has an iPhone/iTouch port though.

Now back on topic. I like the way how Powered Ciel's win portrait is angled, makes her boobs look much bigger. :v:

Okay, got that out of my system. So what do you think about her Oki game?

This is a big shout-out to those that are in the Norcal (California) region. Melty Blood players, I really need some help here. A new arcade opened up in the heart of San Francisco and it's considering putting in MB:AA:CC. They'd consider it if there were people interested in playing the game that spoke up. Now's the time to do it. I can't recall any place in Northern California that is willing to get the game.

The name of the new arcade is Southtown Arcade. It's located at 447 Stockton Street, San Francisco, California. They've got charismatic and talented individuals. I'd really like a place to play the latest game. If there are any Northern Californian people reading this, please coordinate with me or just contact them. Let them know you're interested! Thank you very much!

P.S. To other Melty Blood players, thank you for your patience in reading it even if you're not in the area.

This is a big shout-out to those that are in the Norcal (California) region. Melty Blood players, I really need some help here. A new arcade opened up in the heart of San Francisco and it's considering putting in MB:AA:CC. They'd consider it if there were people interested in playing the game that spoke up. Now's the time to do it. I can't recall any place in Northern California that is willing to get the game.

The name of the new arcade is Southtown Arcade. It's located at 447 Stockton Street, San Francisco, California. They've got charismatic and talented individuals. I'd really like a place to play the latest game. If there are any Northern Californian people reading this, please coordinate with me or just contact them. Let them know you're interested! Thank you very much!

P.S. To other Melty Blood players, thank you for your patience in reading it even if you're not in the area.

I've been active in the NorCal MB scene for the last four years and I can tell you that, as the scene is right now, that cab would not get the kind of play that it needs to justify the purchase. I don't think it's in the best interest for a new startup arcade like Southtown to put CC in over another game. A few months back, I advised Kazuo, the owner of Southtown, this. Mind you, I would love to see CC in NorCal & I would definitely go out to play it, but I want to see Southtown do well for a while before they take some risks on games.

Also, I don't think I'm familiar with your handle. Have you been active in the local MB scene? Cause I figure I would know you if you have. I've run almost all the MB tourneys in NorCal & organized a lot of sessions for the game in the last few years. I may not know you if you're one of those SF guys who used to play at Oscar's.

At this point, I feel they're considering the game strongly so it's a good possibility it will come. I talked to the owner a few times and he would be down to get the game definitely if there were atleast 20 people interested in playing the game. That's not including randoms who would drop in. I've also heard talk of .75 cents being the fee for a game.

I know it's a niche game and niche games don't, on average, earn a lot of money, but they're throwing the bone; they have interest in it. That's why I'm going to multiple forums and talking to everyone I know to get them to give it a shot and the owners to take a chance.

Also, yes, I am one of the people who played at Oscar's place when he had sessions there. We've never met, but if we succeed, I hope to meet you at Southtown!

i don't even think there's more than five people who can play the game at a respectable level in norcal (as respectable as it gets here anyways)

many of the players from mbac have also moved on and are probably never going to come back

anyways you should probably just post in the norcal threads instead

At this point, I feel they're considering the game strongly so it's a good possibility it will come. I talked to the owner a few times and he would be down to get the game definitely if there were atleast 20 people interested in playing the game. That's not including randoms who would drop in. I've also heard talk of .75 cents being the fee for a game.

I know it's a niche game and niche games don't, on average, earn a lot of money, but they're throwing the bone; they have interest in it. That's why I'm going to multiple forums and talking to everyone I know to get them to give it a shot and the owners to take a chance.

Also, yes, I am one of the people who played at Oscar's place when he had sessions there. We've never met, but if we succeed, I hope to meet you at Southtown!

Realistically, I don't think you could get 20 regulars for MBAACC. MB is such a small niche game, and it doesn't appeal towards any SF4 players whatsoever. It would be incredibly difficult to build a scene, especially for an up and coming arcade.

I would say, get Guilty Gear and BlazBlue CS2. If those scenes start to pick up I would consider MB, but not until v1.05 comes out. Right now there's little appeal for Current Code because it is so similar to the PS2 version. The MBAA scene has been underground console based for a long time, and it's going to take a little while before console players will crawl out of the woodwork.

We've got MBAACC at the arcade I work at; we've got a good scene for GG and BB, and we had Act Cadenza B for a long time. I can confidently say that we don't have 20 regulars playing the game, maybe 10 players, but the rest are people I see who look at the game interestedly whom I teach. For us it's going to be a slow process until v1.05 comes out, but I'm working on it.

There's cheaper, less risky fighting games out there that you could focus on. A new arcade can't afford to take big risks yet, they need to start up with the popular stuff, learn what kind of profit the industry will give for what they've got (which is usually much smaller than any owner initially thinks), and then once you start turning a profit go for some riskier titles. It's very important that an owner gets a feel for his industry's profit margin before he goes all gung-ho. Right now the economy is not good for arcades, so you kind of need to watch for every crack you step on.

Even excluding the popular expensive games (like Super Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6:BR), there's a ton of choices that you could pick for your price margin.

In terms of pricing:

Third Strike is about 5% the cost of Current Code

Guilty Gear Accent Core is about 20% the cost of Current Code

Arcana Heart 3 is about 40% the cost of Current Code

BlazBlue CS2 is about the same price as Current Code

King of Fighters XIII is about the same price as Current Code

All of these are more likely to be more popular, and still be cheaper or the same price as CC.

As much as I love Melty Blood, I would highly recommend not getting it for your arcade unless you have some sort of pre-existing fanbase. I know that arcades shouldn't be about making huge profits, and that's not what I'm talking about, right now it's very difficult for arcades to even stay in business, let alone make bank, so an arcade has to be very cautious about all of their purchases.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about running an arcade.

Right now there's little appeal for Current Code because it is so similar to the PS2 version

i don't think the versions are that similar but that's another discussion

i don't think the versions are that similar but that's another discussion

AA PS2 -> AACC is far more similar than AA arcade -> AA PS2

The only big changes are graphical, and air throws are tweaked a bit. Tbh, I didn't even notice most of the changes to my characters until I started searching for them. A few combos don't quite link the same way, a few things have slightly more/less recovery, some attacks have more/less proration, minor things like that.

The big point is that there's no new characters, no new moves, and no new system mechanic features from AA PS2. Which isn't something I'm complaining about. The arcade needed a Melty Blood to at least match the PS2 version. This was also their first time using the Sega Ringwide board, so they wanted to test certain things graphically and make sure everything worked with the new hardware. Since they were making a new version they might as well have tweaked some things that caught their eye from the PS2 version, but they weren't really intending to make it a big update (But from AA Arcade to CC it's a huge update!).

AA PS2 -> AACC is far more similar than AA arcade -> AA PS2

The only big changes are graphical, and air throws are tweaked a bit. Tbh, I didn't even notice most of the changes to my characters until I started searching for them. A few combos don't quite link the same way, a few things have slightly more/less recovery, some attacks have more/less proration, minor things like that.

The big point is that there's no new characters, no new moves, and no new system mechanic features from AA PS2. Which isn't something I'm complaining about. The arcade needed a Melty Blood to at least match the PS2 version. This was also their first time using the Sega Ringwide board, so they wanted to test certain things graphically and make sure everything worked with the new hardware. Since they were making a new version they might as well have tweaked some things that caught their eye from the PS2 version, but they weren't really intending to make it a big update (But from AA Arcade to CC it's a huge update!).

there are system changes...

imo the biggest changes are that the size of the stage was significantly reduced, anti-a armor was taken out, and all ch became ch2...

anti-a armor was actually really dumb for air-to-air battles and made most jump As less useful and gave it a more specific situational purposes instead

the size of the screen really helped out the slower characters and some zoning characters ie f-kouma, c-akiha...

many characters who were strong have been effectively nerfed ie kohaku, h-v.sion, h-tohno, c-mech, etc...

in cc some of the cast became significantly stronger and/or easier to play due to changes ie f-kouma c-satsuki c-aoko h-nanaya f-hisui c-v.akiha

there are even characters that became stronger than was necessary imo and that is because japan didnt play the ps2 ver ie f-ries, possibly f-ciel

i think cc overall is a better version and the changes made were significant

more of the cast became playable increasing the character diversity

the absurdly huge screen was toned down

Okay, I have looked all over the place and can't find any decent footage of F-Len anywhere...or much of Len at all.

H-Len occasionally, maybe 1 or 2 vids of F-Len, and fuck C-Len.

Where can I find this shit?

Okay, I have looked all over the place and can't find any decent footage of F-Len anywhere...or much of Len at all.

H-Len occasionally, maybe 1 or 2 vids of F-Len, and fuck C-Len.

Where can I find this shit?

No idea if you've ran across this yet, but there's some (emphasis on some) vids of various Lens in the video thread on Melty Bread: http://www.meltybread.com/forums/len/mbaa-len-discusionvideo-thread/

However, there isn't much footage of Len in general... You can subscribe to A-cho's and meltybread's channels to get some footage, a few times I saw a C-Len in my subscriptions... (though a-cho does other games as well as melty blood as well).

http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho

http://www.youtube.com/user/MeltyBread

I'm not running the arcade, but I do appreciate your opinion and insight. I'll admit that I really want to be selfish. I would like to play Current Code at an actual arcade in my area. It is sad to hear that there aren't many interested in it because the system doesn't seem as different from the console version, but I'll continue to advocate for it as an option. I know, stubborn and bullheaded, but there's a chance so I want to take it.

Aside from that, assuming Southtown Arcade does get it, I would just like to know who in the NorCal community would check it out and play. I did scan a little around the Misc Fighters section and I couldn't find a regional Melty Blood thread. Could anyone please point me in the right direction? I don't want to bother anyone with my requests...

@Shining Aquas: Any F-Len footage you will see will probably be Current Code where F-Len received some significant buffs. Anyways, here is a combo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6jXuVDDSEY

@Reiki: For relevant regional threads there is the NorCal thread on Dustloop (who cares if you are going to talk about Melty Blood, feel free to talk about whatever you want as long as you are NorCal, Melty Blood is relevant to NCI anyways) and I guess there is also the "NorPor" thread on MeltyBread which is basically the South Bay thread