Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Current Roster

Capcom Side: Ryu, Chun-Li, Morrigan, Felicia, Tron Bonne, Wesker Chris Redfield, Dante, trish, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Arthur and Spencer (Bionic Comando).

Marvel Side: Deadpool, Spider-Man, Captain America, Doctor Doom, Dormammu, Super-Skurll, X-23, Wolverine, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Modok, Magneto.

Current Stages

Asgard, the Helicarrier, underground Umbrella lab, Mega Man Legends stage (probably Kattelox Island) and Daily Bugle rooftop

interview with Ryota, about the character selection

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/final-roster-marvel-vs/703817

also

a MvC3 Comic-Con Build Write-Up thanx to Demon Dash

So I've just got back from Super VS Battle in London and over the weekend got to spend around a total of 25 hours with the game. Unfortunately the build present was the Comic-Con build, one which is now long obsolete especially compared to the build which Capcom have yet to reveal (the full build, not the Amaterasu/Thor/Joe/Dormammu build), but I thought a lot of you would still be interested to hear what it featured and how the game played out. Please note, this build was only 40% complete and is most certainly subject to change, so take some of this with a pinch of salt and take into consideration that changes will be made in the final product.

Probably the first thing on everyone's mind is, what game did Marvel Vs Capcom 3 play like? Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, or Marvel Vs Capcom 2? Well, in my opinion the game doesn't play like either TvC or MvC2, like Capcom have stated before, the game deffinately feels like a game of it's own. But if I had to pick a game that I thought it resembled most, it deffinately played more like MvC2, which is good news for MvC2 fans and bad news for TvC fans.

Control scheme aside however, there was still a lot of TvC elements there. Air dash characters were very friendly for TvC players, as air dashes can be executed by inputting 9 > 6 as well as pressing two attack buttons. There was still a lot of differences though, one main difference I noticed was that it's no longer possible to do A > 2A > B > 2B > C > 2C as a "Magic Series" combo, you could only input either a standing attack or a crouching attack, not both. This is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what your taste is.

In this particular build projectile characters and rushdown characters dominated the game. Once they were in, Ironman, Dante, Trish, Felicia and Chun-Li were extrememly difficult to get off your back, especially when backed up by assists like Uni Beam and Molecular Shield. The mix-up game was so strong in certain situations that the only thing that could save you was Advanced Guard, as unfortunately anti air assists seemed too slow to come out to get them off your back and were easilly punishable, making the situation even worse.

However, characters like Dr Doom and Morrigan could spam projectiles all day, as they had both the ground projectile to keep you away and an anti air projectile to knock you back should you get too close. Finding a useful path to get in was tough, besides beating them out with a super such as Proton Cannon, the character who had the best chance was Dante as he could teleport, however if the opponent guessed right, he could be punnished by an assit such as Molecular Shield and got reset back into the same situation. Projectiles really were that good...

X-Factor was pretty broken, not only did it increase damage, but it also gave characters an insane speed boost, expecially Chun-Li who was probably an equivelant of Wolverine while in his speed super. Characters like Chris or Dr Doom were a nightmare while under X-Factor, purely because chip damage was magnified almost to the same levels of damage as the actual moves them selves; in fact any move that hit multiple times done a shit ton of damage.

-----

One thing that really annoyed me about this build is the whole auto correct situation. In one instance, I had pressed up forward, but because the opponent had jumped over me, I jumped up back. Another was with Chun-Li, at one point I tried to use Kikoushou as an anti air but because the opponent jumped over me, I got her kick super instead. I know auto correct can be useful in some situations, but these situations are just dumb. If I want to jump up forward, I expect to jump up forward, if I use Kikoushou, I expect to get Kikoushou, not something that's on the opposite side of the stick.

-----

Another thing that annoyed me and still annoys me in future builds (Thor, Dormammu for example) was the simplicity of some of the combos. In a lot of cases B&B combos consist of ground chain > air chain > knock down > OTG > super which does 60% of life, 70% or 80% of life if you X-Factor and potentially 100% of life if you DHC. While I can understand the need for some characters to have damage like this, it gets extremely repetetive. It's also pretty worrying, as MvC2 has mostly been about using reset oportunities to score big damage, not about using one B&B combo to off the opponent. Again, I can understand the need for something like this for characters who are less mobile like Hulk, but having it such a common and dominating factor of the game is something I'd hate to see, as it limits creativity and doesn't allow players the opportunity to use the system to it's full potential, due to the character being dead.

-----

I didn't mess around with every character, but here's a bit of info on the characters I used and played against pretty regularly.

Dante

Dante was an extremely powerful character, easilly one of the best in the build. His style is very generic yet at the same time very unique. He's one of those characters that seems to do everything, the more you played him, the more you discovered. He doesn't have one set of special moves, he actually has two. For the majority of his specials, it was possible to execute the same move twice to cancel it and start another.

I didn't really get what it was all about, it was a rather odd way of going about things. His devil mode didn't really seem to make much difference to him, at least I never noticed much difference, maybe they were intending of giving him the alternate specials in that mode, but for whatever reason decidede to do this, I don't know. Either way he has a shit load of moves and had more than enough tools to help him dominate, probably too many tools.

Here's a list of what I can remember, sorry if I missed anything out (which I have), there's too many to remember all at once and sorry if some graphical things are slightly inacurate.

236A - He pulls out a laser gun and plants a pink particle on the screen which homes in on the opponent. It can be charged for more particles and directions can be held to choose a position in which the particles will be placed.

236A > 236A - He cancels 236A and thrusts his laser gun in the air, firing a pink beam which shoots up and rains down on top of him.

236B - He summons a wall of ice that shoots out in front of him.

236B > 236B - He cancels 236B and summons ice surrounding him self in an iceberg.

236C - He pulls out a gun and fires many homing rockets at the opponent.

236C > 236C - He cancels 236C and pulls out a harpoon gun, which shoots across the screen and grabs the opponent , pulling them towards him (Tekkaman style).

623A - He surrounds him self in a swirling blaze of fire.

623B - Jumps in the air and pounds the ground with his sword sending a small shockwave out infront of him.

623C - He summons a shock of lightning which explodes and shoots up the screen (CapCom Corridoor style).

214A - He pulls out an electrified guitar and sholder barges the opponent.

214B - He twirls around in the air spinning his sword, bouncing the opponent of the ground.

214C - He rushes across the screen and connects with the opponent, swirling his sword in a blaze of fire.

J236A - He shoots downforward and stabs the opponent (like a dive kick) bouncing the opponent off the ground.

J236B - He summons a grav like projectile which he shoots down forward, can be charged for a larger projectile.

J236C - He twirls around in a blaze of fire and pulls the opponent to the ground.

[E] - He cancels his launcher and sends a shockwave that travels across the screen.

22E - He teleports and re-appears in the air behind the opponent.

623E - Does a front flip in the air towards the opponent.

236A+B - He pulls out his guns and fires a barrage of bullets at the opponent.

214A+B - He transforms into his devil mode.

Trish

I actually really like Trish, she was probably my favourite character there. While she was hard to use, she was incredibly fun and had a lot of dirty tricks up her sleeve. Her air dash was incredible fast and while she didn't do great damage, it was possible to set up reset situations. While Trish didn't have her Scythe, she had access to a dive kick which was quite effective for mix-ups. Her Scythe super was a really good DHC, while it was connecting, she was free to move around and lay traps, she could also tag out to another character who was also free to move around and do as they pleased. Only downside (or upside depending how you look at it) I noticed was that while the Scythe super was hitting on block, all the opponent had to do was mash Advanced Guard and it would keep her out, making it useless as a trapping tool.

Dante/Trish was an amazing combination, assuming Trish and Dante remain pretty much the same, it would be possible to tag Dante back in and lay some of his projectiles on screen while the Scythe super is hitting, or whatever other usable tricks he has in that situation (this applies to any character).

236A - She fires one projectile across the screen.

236B - She fires two projectiles across the screen.

236C - She fires three projectiles across the screen.

214A - She plants a trap in the ground below her which shoots a projectile into the air when the opponent crosses it's axis.

214B - She plants a trap in the air above her that explodes and momentarally freezes them when they move into it.

214C - She throws out her Scythe which homes in on the opponent and returns to her like a boomerang.

214C > J2C - While the Scythe is out of her hands, she can dive kick down towards the ground.

J236A - She fires one projectile down forward.

J236B - She fires two projectiles down forward.

J236C - She fires three projectiles down forward.

J214A - She plants a trap in the ground below her which shoots a projectile into the air when the opponent crosses it's axis.

J214B - She plants a trap in the air above her that explodes and momentarally freezes them when they move into it.

J214C - She throws out her Scythe which homes in on the opponent and returns to her like a boomerang.

J214C > J2C - While the Scythe is out of her hands, she can dive kick down towards the ground.

236A+B - She fires a barrage of lightning and projectiles across the screen.

63214A+B - She throws her Scythe out infront of her which homes in on the opponent and connects with them many times.

63214A+B > 2C - While the Scythe is out of her hands, she can dive kick down towards the ground.

J236A+B - She fires a barrage of lightning and projectiles down forward.

Dr Doom

Probably the best character in the build, not because he was designed well and was strong, but because he was designed pooly and was abusable. His plasma Beam came out incredibly fast, reached all the way across the screen and done a shit ton of chip damage while under X-Factor. Due to it's sheer speed it was a trap that was pretty much inescapable, as it could keep you back at full screen and if he felt like the opponent was jumping or air dashing close, could Photon Shot or Molecular Shield which pushed them back and put them back on the ground, resetting the situation.

No need to comment on Molecular Shield...

Other than that, he was pretty standard, not a very rushdown friendly character. His ground dash was slow and clunky; it lifted him slightly off the ground and could only be canceled later into it's animation, kind of like in MvC2 although worse. Trying to cancel it early like other characters brought him to a halt, which was really annoying.

Chun-Li

Chun-Li was great fun, later on in the weekend I really started to enjoy using her. 5C and 2C were jump cancelable, she also had tripple jump and could jump cancel twice in the air. She was one of those characters that had to work really hard to get on top of the opponent; while she was fast, she didn't seem to have a lot going for her, as her potentially bullshit block string loops could be stopped with Advanced Guard, neutralising a lot of her threat. However once she activated X-Factor, that was it, as the opponent literally had to work twice as hard to keep her out and had half the time to react to her mix-ups, she was that fast. A simple ground to air combo did about 25% - 30% of life and if the opponent guessed wrong, they were offed in a few combos.

I really hope they don't change Chun-Li all that much; while she can be strong if the opponent guessed wrong, she doesn't seem to have a lot going for her compared to other characters in higher level play and X-Factor turned her into the threat she deserves to be.

Super Skrull

What an annoying character Skrull is! Actually he's a really fun character to use, I was never that great with him but I played against a decent Skrull pretty regularly. The range on his grab is insane and the follow up damage is huge, if you get caught by him you're losing at least 60% of your life. While he's hard to fight against at first, once you know what you're doing it's pretty easy to keep him out. It's just so frustrating getting caught in his combos because you know you could have avoided it, it's a mind game in it's own.

From what I'm aware Skrull is one of the more incomplete characters in this build and is lacking moves....

Felicia

I never once used Felicia, but I played a guy with a solid Felicia and wanted to comment on what I experienced. Felicia/Doom is one hell of a team! Seriously! She can rush down like no tomorrow and while her block strings can be neutralised with Advanced Guard, if she actually connects, you really have to know what you're doing to get her off your back. She can do a simple ground combo into her ball special which combos, crosses up and can be continued on the opposite site into the same situation. Calling Molecular Shield and hopping out the screen behind the oponent is a silly game, also her kitten super seems strong. While the kitten is on screen it will knock you out of most combos and also acts as an overhead, giving Felicia potential unblockables. At first I thought Felicia was a weak character, but I truely underestimated her, she has great potential.

Again I hope Capcom don't change this character too much, like Chun-Li a lot of her games can be neutralised with Advanced Guard and it's only because of outside tools that she becomes strong.

-----

I'll leave this as is for now, I've got a shit load of videos I need to upload and I need to get some sleep, but I'm sure more will come back to me and I'll have more to say over the next coming days.

To say my overall opinion, I really liked the game. While it has a lot of flaws, it does have a lot of things going for it and this is only an early build. I think both TvC players and MvC2 players are going to take a little bit of adjusting untill they find their place in the game, but I feel given the right changes, there'll be enough to spark decent interest and get people liking it. After what I've seen and played, I'm deffinately looking forward to the final product and have high expectations of what's to come.

Beautiful write up. Its nice to hear that felicia has gotten alot better, I saw her crazy mix-up options in one of the trailers. I also had a feeling Super skrull was kinda basic/incomplete cause in the trailers he didn't do much cept for the multi-hit punch to super link. I'm also glad to hear x-factor being broken since it can't be used till near mid- or end match and great way to finish players off. So far my team would include super skrull, morrigan, Felicia and possibly dr.doom(since he goes so well with Felicia it seems.

GamesCom: Seth Killian Interview - News - Gaming Union

GamingUnion.net: This isn't to say that it's unbalanced, but there are always characters that reveal themselves over time to be a little stronger than the rest. For example, somebody like Sagat. Has anyone separated themselves from the pack in MvC3?

Seth Killian: So far, in this game it's been a matter of who's most finished, other than straight character dominance. Dante [from Devil May Cry] is the most finished, right now. And he's probably the strongest, certainly at the introductory level. Also, he's abetted by the fact that right now he has more special moves than any character in Capcom fighting history.

He's not like Ryu, for example, with whom you can throw a fast fireball, a medium fireball or a slow fireball. Each of Dante's moves are all radically different. So in one, homing missiles shoot out of his sword and in another a giant sphere of energy charges up around him. They're not small variations, they're totally different. So he's got a lot of answers.

But right now, pound for pound, my money is on Trish [also from Devil May Cry]. She's just got a lot of nasty tricks and traps. So that's what it comes down to for me.

Ultimately, it's about controlling the space on the screen and limiting your opponent's options and shutting it down. She's really good at that. You feel really trapped against a good Trish player, it's like playing against a really good Dhalsim, where he seems weak, but when you come up against a someone who really knows his way around him, you don't know what to do at all. This guy's got me completely.

GamingUnion.net: Going back to Marvel Vs Capcom 3, I've got to say I prefer the character models to Street Fighter IV's.

SK: Yeah.They have a flatter look, in some ways. It's a bit less stylised in one way, but it's definitely more comic-booky. It fits with this game and is also a throwback to that older Street Fighter style.

Seth then hits me with an impressive combo.

GamingUnion.net: Ouch. How do you guard against infinite combo loops?

Seth Killian: With Marvel v Capcom 3 we have a few built in fail-safes. So one is something called damage scaling, it does less and less damage with every hit.

But there is also other stuff that we're experimenting with - it starts to get pretty arcane. So something like hit stun decay. Which is to say, normally if I walk up to you and do a fierce punch it does x amount of damage and x amount of stun and you recoil in the same frames, but there's one system we're playing around with - which is not final at all - where the longer a combo goes on, the less stun any of those hits do.

So basically, the way you reel after getting hit with a fierce punch, you start to reel less and less. So the same loop is possible for a few times, but then it starts to degenerate. Eventually, you run out of options.

El Fuerte has an infinite loop in Street Fighter IV. But we actually left that in on purpose. We didn't know about it when the game shipped, but we left it in for Super Street Fighter IV.

At the beginning, people were like, 'Oh, this has ruined the game.' but we felt that El Fuerte could do with some additional tools, he not the strongest character in the game. So even though it's an infinite loop, it's not the end of the day in terms of balance.

But with Marvel v Capcom 3, even if you find a loop, because you have three characters in your team, the worst thing that happens is your current guy dies and another comes in. I mean, this game is full of devastating combos - we are definitely trying to avoid it, and we have a few more tricks up our sleeve.

Although, saying that, the people that are usually able to do these things are people that play to a high level anyway. So they would probably beat you even if they weren't doing it. [Laughs] It's not like the ten year-old from down the street is going to pick that up on youtube and start beating you with it after being unable to win before.

Indeed, such was my merciless beating I'm not even sure I could defeat that 10 year old any more. We put the rather snazzy Madcat fight sticks down and continued our chat.

GamingUnion.net: So, what's the deal with the online modes that the game is shipping with?

Seth Killian: There's still a lot of back-and-forth internally about it, frankly. So, at a minimum you can expect your standard online modes where you can have a friendly match or a ranked match, as well as all your offline modes.

But set your expectations there and hopefully we can go in some fun new directions beyond that.

not really, as a luchador he doesnt have anything memorable about him, his mask desing is plain and his luchador persona doesnt have anything to stand for, also his background personality of being a chef who btw doesnt know how to cook is just :vbang:

a lame character overall

not really, as a luchador he doesnt have anything memorable about him, his mask desing is plain and his luchador persona doesnt have anything to stand for, also his background personality of being a chef who btw doesnt know how to cook is just :vbang:

a lame character overall

HE STANDS FOR SUPER DYNAMIC COOKING JUSTICE. What more do you want?!

but there's one system we're playing around with - which is not final at all - where the longer a combo goes on, the less stun any of those hits do.

So basically, the way you reel after getting hit with a fierce punch, you start to reel less and less. So the same loop is possible for a few times, but then it starts to degenerate. Eventually, you run out of options.

Capcom: "Man, all these potential infinite combos are killing us! How can we stop it?" *Looks to the side*

Arc System Works: "What?"

theproblem is that the system dont work as good as the system of arcsys, thats why you have characters escaping from the supers :{/

I still think El Fuerte is a badass. :(

Well, he's not. He's stupid, offensive, retarded, 0 charisma and doesn't reflect the spirit of Lucha Libre AT ALL. And the cooking shit just adds even more stupidness to his overall existence.

Also, he doesn't fucking speak spanish (the travesti he uses in the game can hardly be spanish), so there. Failure.

tinieblas_fullblock.jpg

Fuck, even Tinieblas' sideshow dude (Alushe) is a lot more awesome than fucking El Shitty.

they wasted a character spot on tron :/

and yes they made look amy and joe like pussies

Damn. I was hoping it would FINALLY be a character from the X series, but instead it's just tron...>_> Oh well there's still plenty of room on the roster so maybe, just MAYBE, I can finally see X and Zero in action. :3

I know right? That just breaks my anticipation for Megaman.....X, or Zero, even Axl. We need Capcom villains too, like Sigma.

Damn, seeing Sigma in a fighter would be awesome, and I love Axl, but I don't see how they would implement him into the roster (Seeing as how he only uses guns). The only thing I can think of is maybe they could take advantage of his copy ability and have him transform during combos or something. But I'll still be happy if they did put him in, but seeing as how the current roster is doing a 1-2 characters per franchise list (If you don't count The Avengers), I doubt i'll get all three. :(

Damn, seeing Sigma in a fighter would be awesome, and I love Axl, but I don't see how they would implement him into the roster (Seeing as how he only uses guns).

That's easy. Copy Shot --> copy statistics. A.K.A. Rogue.

Yes!! Tron is back! I loved her in Legends and use her regularly in my team in MvC2. I'm so glad that she's back.

Zero was in TvC. Let him stay there

That's easy. Copy Shot --> copy statistics. A.K.A. Rogue.

Ahhh you're right, that could possibly work.

Yes!! Tron is back! I loved her in Legends and use her regularly in my team in MvC2. I'm so glad that she's back. Zero was in TvC. Let him stay there

...So was Ryu, Chun-Li, Morrigan, and Viewtiful Joe, yet they're ALL in MVC3 as well... So I'm sure adding Zero (Or X, or both) wouldn't be much of a problem for them since they already added a few from TVC already...