Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Without the super armor, sent is a joke. Less hp is better than no super armored normals.

And I'm pretty sure Capcom did that so a lot of people would realize that there are other characters. It gets kinda boring after a while to see sent in 9/10 teams.

Good patch for the meta game IMO.

And linear do eeeeettttttt plzzzz

The way I see it, the patch insures that players can't use Sent with reckless abandon. They actually have to be carefully with him when used on point and as an assist.

It should more or less ensure that, you're right. It's just the way they did it that bothers me. Like I and plenty others have said, it's knee-jerky and lazy. Any patch that does more than fix bugs or glitches at this stage in the game is going to feel rushed/needless to a lot of people.

Marvel 2 went a decade without any updates or revisions (right?) and Marvel 3 has been out a month and Capcom is already changing things; drastically in the case of Sentinel. It's a little out of nowhere, and just isn't all that necessary outside of bug fixes.

The patch was released to add Event mode to the game. The other fixes were a bonus. Patches are anything but knee-jerk and lazy. The time it takes to fix things and get them approved takes a while. The glitches and bugs the patch fixed were stuff that were discovered within the first two weeks of release. Recent discoveries like the American infinite, DHC trick, float and Zero's slapback glitch ain't fixed yet.

if they really do take a while to get approved, it just screams laziness even more from capcom's end for doing such a simple change, instead of waiting a while to get a good idea of how the game should be balanced.

No, patches aren't knee-jerk or lazy, but a change like "whoa geez we need to remove 400k from Sentinel" is.

Linear makes another good point.

In the end I'm not truly upset by the patch or anything, it's just sort of an eye-roller.

David Sirlin made a great point when he said you should always balance around high level play. If you watch weekly tournament footage, people finding more and more that Sentinel wasn't really that intimidating and actually pretty free in a number of matchups provided you played intelligently. Super armor normals only dominate if you mash, they get blown up if you're smart since they're something like -15 on block. Why not nerf Wesker or Taskmaster too? They have high health and damage output as well as having way better mixup than the Robot's frying pan/2B xN with occasional command throw.

I'm sure this patch is just Capcom trolling. After a while they'll actually listen to the complaints and get to it eventually like the vague bastards they are.

But now that Sentinel is nerfed I actually feel like playing him.

I'm just smiling every time I see inferior combos being posted over there. In their actual character forums.

And I'm not talking super advanced hardcore 1-frame links or anything like that. Just plain having the right idea but not following through and losing 50-200k braindead easy potential damage. And sometimes for more work.

Also the complete disgust for numbers notation with some posters over there is pretty lol. Such as this gem:

I still dont know how to read those numbered annotation or understand the benefit to take the time learning what each number means.

I would post there but registration ate my activation email or something so I can't actually post with my account. Oh well. Must be fate.

David Sirlin made a great point when he said you should always balance around high level play. If you watch weekly tournament footage, people finding more and more that Sentinel wasn't really that intimidating and actually pretty free in a number of matchups provided you played intelligently.

He's still one of the absolute best characters in the game (even now) and nothing you said stopped him from being on nearly every tournament team since release.

Sentinel was never "that good". He just had a couple of things which put together made him a popular choice. Low risk/high reward normals. Great damage for little to no effort. Effective use of the DHC trick. High random factor. High health. Good assist. Beginner friendly. Command grab

He was never one of the best characters in the game and probably never will be. He was just the scrub killer and the easiest to win with due to high random factor and skewed risk reward.

I'll never understand why people insist on denying Sentinel is really good if not one of the better characters in the roster as it stands now.

I'm not saying he's the absolute best or god tier (never said or thought he was), but he's definitely a force to be reckoned with. Even with 905,000 health.

I don't think anyone denies that Sentinel is a good character. Nini's post sums up what's great about him, and due to the nature of the game, why not throw Sent on your team? If nothing else he has a really nice assist.

The point a lot of people are trying to make, however, is that Sentinel was never so broken or OPed that he needed this kind of random patch to be fixed. Players with Sentinel on their team aren't winning big tournaments, and a LOT has been done by top (and even not-quite-top) players to "expose" Sentinel, if you will. He's a good character, no question, he just isn't (and wasn't) overpowered.

I'll never understand why people insist on denying Sentinel is really good if not one of the better characters in the roster as it stands now.

I'm not saying he's the absolute best or god tier (never said or thought he was), but he's definitely a force to be reckoned with. Even with 905,000 health.

It's like CS ragna. Ezmode character, considered really good at first. Then people find out stuff with other characters and counters to him. Since he's so basic, there's not much room for development. His tools are still strong Then they realize he's just "good" and not one of the better characters in the game compared to the rest of the cast.

That's Sentinel. Good, but not one of the better characters in the game.

Which part? The ragna analogy or the Sentinel not being close to the top of the spectrum part?

sentinel on point+haggar or tron assist is very scary. that combination+stupid rushdown characters (wolverine, magneto) is what i lose to

Agreed. I have no hope against that as Zero except j. lvl 3 buster since I'm savin da meter and my combos weren't gonna do much anyways.

Doom is ok against sent because he can throw air photon shots and dive on almost the whole cast for free.

Phoenix = lol s.J fireball free mix-up

DPH = RUSH, RUSH, RUSH FORWARD YOU MAY DIE.

Zero :(

I just zone 50sent

Sentinel is not the scary one. It's the haggar/tron assist. Hell I could argue that anyone on point with haggar/tron/hsien-ko on crack assist is very scary.