Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blade

Request: A.I. Stupidity Video (Hell Difficulty Settings)

This is a request, since I can't actually record it myself with the equipment I've got (need a decent Video Card), but there are quite a LOT of things the A.I. does that I really think needs work. Making a video of the various dumb things, and explaining them and possibly submitting it to ArcSys for their viewing.

Prior to that though, I wanted to make a formal list of all the dumb things I've seen the A.I. do, so that people could get a solid recording of them and know what to expect. So with that, said, here's a few things I'm aware of:

1. Random DPs

Any character with any sort of anti-air or invincibility move will react to any normal with high to medium recovery frames by spamming said special over and over again, this is regardless of what position they happen to be in, this applies to Ragna, Jin (especially Jin), Tsubaki, Hazama, Tager (though not as much anymore compared to CT), Haku-men, Litchi (with her pole), though there may be others. This also applies to air throws, as whenever a character doesn't have a air DP move and they happen to be in the air, they will do a throw wiff animation for no reason (Jin does this alot).

Here's a way to test...Have Ragna fight Jin and just sit half a screen away and crouch and mash Jab, Jin will do several things:

Random DPs, Throw Wiff Animation, an occasional projectile of varying speed.

On the flip side, fighting against Ragna you'll get:

Random DPs, Throw Wiff Animation (x2), and whenever he's airdashing (regardless of how high), if you throw out a normal of decent recovery (such as 5C) he will use Inferno Divider and be easily punished.

It gets even worse when playing as Tager, do 421B Super Armor near Ragna and he will 99% of the time end his combos with Inferno Divider which can be easily punished, particularly with things like Gadget Finger > B Buster loop. Jin would be just as bad if not for the idea he tends to get throw-happy near Tager in the Corner (single-hit Throw lands Throw Reject Miss so easily now it's not funny).

Another way is by simply playing Jin VS Jin or Haku-men VS Jin:

Have your Jin spam 236B and Jin will almost always Eat it, else he'd dodge it with his DP, easy kill.

In Haku-men's case, a simple 4C or j.2C to create a Fumajin will make Jin sit and spam projectiles till he airdashes into the Fumajin on his own.

There's other examples, but you get the idea.

2. Astral Heats

Only on rare occasions will you actually see the A.I. use an Astral Heat. I can tell you right now that for the most part, whenever the A.I. has heat, they will expend it on Overdrives regardless of their position, over, and over, and over for the most part...Jin is notorious for this. But in some cases you have completely stupid and pointless periods where characters do their Astrals for a complete waste of heat.

So far I can say that Lamda-11(Nu-13) and Litchi will NEVER do their Astrals because of how efficient their A.I. seems to be at attacking, I haven't found any instances to trigger theirs if any. Also Makoto will never do hers, despite all the opportunities granted to her...also the A.I. will never use Rapid Cancel for anything. They simply spam DDs regardless of range or distance.

--Haku-men will only activate his from wake-up animation, regardless of position, so long as you're attacking, which isn't too bad...but it only assumes you're Ragna, or some other Rush-down character.

--Jin only activates his if he hasn't expended his heat (besides spamming you most of the time with his DDs) and you just "happen" to be Turtling in the corner...which in most cases can be spotted a mile away.

--Tager does his mid-screen regardless of whether or not he has Magnetism...so he will wiff a lot, this also assumes you aren't mashing and he reacts with GETB half a screen a way as well.

--Noel is the one of the worst and needs fixing...she actually will do her Astral FULL SCREEN DISTANCE AWAY from you! In other words, she's wasting meter for no apparent reason. Plenty of time to Taunt her.

--Bang has this really really stupid thing regarding his Astral where he will use it at the dumbest moments...for example, if he manages to get FRKZ activated, he will Triple Airdash upwards in the air and use his Astral at max jump height. :psyduck: In other words he isn't aware of his own position and yours when you could be standing on the ground laughing at him.

--Carl will do his Astral regardless of his position on screen and will never even attempt to push you towards Ada in this state... :psyduck: Poor Ada.

3. Random Prorated Techable Combos (Blue Beat Combos)

In a lot of cases, all you see Jin do is randomly jab with 5A, or try and mix you up...but the problem with this is, despite successfully mixing you up, he never follows up with anything combo-able. He's not the only one with stupid combos, Ragna will try and land double Carnage Scissors out of the corner, even if his opponent can tech, or if at any point the A.I. wiffs in a special, they are stuck doing nothing until the animation completes (Ragna's Inferno Divider on wiff of the second move). Jin (in the corner) will spam 5A 623A over and over and try to juggle you with such lame pointlessness. There are many others, with exception to Litchi, who actually has combos she can use.

4. Inability to dodge (Free Counters).

In most cases, this applies to people who play as Jin. Any time you use a move that wouldn't normally be safe to cancel in to (i.e. it doesn't gatling unless they're crouching or it's a counterhit), it will still hit the A.I. anyway, because they are busy backdashing for some dumb reason. This can create a bad habit with some players on Guard Strings.

Here's an example: Ragna A.I. is blocking.

Jin does 5B (2 hits), 5C, 2C, 6C.

6C will almost ALWAYS hit, even if the move technically doesn't combo, simply because it can be cancelled in to. This also applies to Jin's 5D in situations where it normally wouldn't combo, and nets him a free Freeze. Despite all this the A.I. is busy backdashing...

The only time this won't work is versus characters who can punish the move (such as Haku-men, who can mix D moves between Guard string gaps).

There's other examples of combos that create bad habits on players because they work on the A.I. so well, and when you fight against and actual player, they will simply not work and you get easily punished.

Closing Remarks

The reason I would like to create this video is to showcase what sort of changes could be made to encourage improved gameplay. While certainly, you do learn a lot more from human players than you do the A.I....at the very least the A.I. shouldn't be such a pushover to lose to abusive tactics and breed scrub behavior (i.e. Icecar > 5C spam on block). I want to definitely submit this to Arc System Works, if only so that they see what changes could be made for later installments to their fighting game franchises.

Your ability to take a completely pointless concept that can be summarized in one sentence ("CPU sure is silly") and turn it into a short essay impresses me.

Did I say "impresses"? Maybe I meant "amuses". Or maybe "scares". Or perhaps "stupefies"? I dunno... Boobies.

Sounds like an interesting idea... although not something we can expect to be going really well....

Sometimes, the developer of a game just doesn't know what to do to make the game's A.I. smarter. That DP thing was seen even in older GG installments, so I think it's safe to assume that Arcsys doesn't really know what to do to fix it.... Even if they do know some ways to fix it, it's possible that new A.I. stupidities will appear in the future. Yeah, sometimes you can just try to implement a somewhat sophisticated algorithm for the A.I. that can cover as many stupidities as possible, making the A.I. good enough as a sparring partner, but the real problem is whether or not the said algorithm can be implemented fast enough....

Your ability to take a completely pointless concept that can be summarized in one sentence ("CPU sure is silly") and turn it into a short essay impresses me.

Did I say "impresses"? Maybe I meant "amuses". Or maybe "scares". Or perhaps "stupefies"? I dunno... Boobies.

Pretty much this.

Yes the a.i. sucks, but I think after all this time; if they could have made it better, they would have.

Yes the a.i. sucks, but I think after all this time; if they could have made it better, they would have.

This could be a tl;dr version of my previous post.... :thumbu:

*picks up GGAC+*

*fights pot*

yeah no way they could have made it better.

seriously, the AI should be atleast capable of combos, it does them in challenge mode....

the a.i. has no variety anyway. A.I. carl always opens with forward dash allegretto. I always open against A.I. carl with AA 5B and it CHs. Theres no logical way to fix this without fucking up other things.

I heard somewhere that the A.I. in brawl actually learned from the human players.

Just lol.

This wouldn't matter at all to you if you ever left your house.

or if you had more than other person who plays GG in your entire city.... and CPU is better than that other person anyway.

moral of the story, when I'm the best player in town something is wrong, and it's even worse when the second is the CPU

Yeah, I think AC's A.I. is somewhat decent.... But still, making a list of A.I.'s stupidities like that will not really help the developer, since it's likely that they know the stupidities already.... The real problem isn't looking for stupidities that can be put into a list, but instead finding a nice algorithm to cover the stupidities, and it's way beyond the realm of normal gamers....

As much as I'm aware of the potential of A.I. programming, I can say that if they "really wanted to" they could make an A.I. that creams us every time and knows how to deal with anything we throw out and punishes with combos we wish we could do (you even see it in the Combo Demonstrations of Challenge Mode). I've seen it in Guilty Gear Character A.I.'s programmed by fans in M.u.g.e.n. Untouchable.

At any rate, there's simple, there's reasonable, then there's downright stupid. GG was relatively difficult since the A.I. could IK you. GGX was simple to medium, GGXX varied a little more...but I'd say GGXXAC was closer. I think they could do a little more with BB's A.I. in the next installment at the very least.

As far as Guilty Gear DPs go though, Sol usually did three Volcanic Vipers in a row (623S, 623S, 623H), never actually reading inputs per se.

The Japanese have no intention of programming AI that fights intelligently. They've been doing this crap since day one. Either the AI is a cheating bitch or is a retard. No middle ground. You can pretty much steamroll any opponent in BB by doing run up DPs with Ragna. They always get hit after they tech and they always ALWAYS attack. So you can do whatever, have them tech, do Gauntlet Hades and bam. Free counters. Tsubaki spams DPs all day. I haven't seen DP spam that bad since SSFIV Ken. She's also completely reckless with her charging and will charge right in front of you and let you hit her with a crouch combo.

Sorry Blade, the Japanese(and anyone else) designed FGs to be played vs people and the AI has been and always will be a poor substitute.

As much as I'm aware of the potential of A.I. programming, I can say that if they "really wanted to" they could make an A.I. that creams us every time and knows how to deal with anything we throw out and punishes with combos we wish we could do (you even see it in the Combo Demonstrations of Challenge Mode). I've seen it in Guilty Gear Character A.I.'s programmed by fans in M.u.g.e.n. Untouchable.

At any rate, there's simple, there's reasonable, then there's downright stupid. GG was relatively difficult since the A.I. could IK you. GGX was simple to medium, GGXX varied a little more...but I'd say GGXXAC was closer. I think they could do a little more with BB's A.I. in the next installment at the very least.

As far as Guilty Gear DPs go though, Sol usually did three Volcanic Vipers in a row (623S, 623S, 623H), never actually reading inputs per se.

Well now i really wish the developer will put a new difficulty setting "Untouchable" on future installment :(