Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jun Hyung Joon

Option select

An option select is something that either offensively or defensively negates two or more options your opponent has with a single (usually) input. The only Blazblue option select I know of off the top of my head is back barrier. If timed correctly it acts as a throw tech so if you tech into back barrier and your opponent grabs you the throw will automatically break. If you tech and back barrier and your opponent does a pressure string you will be blocking. Bam, two options beat by one input.

Although I've tried the back barrier option select in CS I wouldn't recommend it. It was completely free in CT but it seems the window has been changed or something cause it gets hit by throw reject miss all the time. I dunno try it out in training, use with discretion etc etc.

Option select can be used to tech and then barrier block on the first available frame as well!

The basic description of option select is combining two inputs into a single input - for the example, you tech with A+B and hold back to block. This way, you tech and then instantly start barrier blocking - it beats a lot of things and if they try to tech punish and throw it out late/do it incorrectly you IB it.

A few other examples of option selects, mostly with bursting:

Arakune can burst (ABCD) and then hold the inputs and release them however he wants for bugs.

Carl can burst and hold D to keep Nirvana activated.

Option selects aren't something that EVERY character finds useful, but I think this would have to get character specific to really point it out. It's not that useful for the characters I play, so I can't tell you anything but the information above.

Option select can be used to tech and then barrier block on the first available frame as well!

The basic description of option select is combining two inputs into a single input - for the example, you tech with A+B and hold back to block. This way, you tech and then instantly start barrier blocking - it beats a lot of things and if they try to tech punish and throw it out late/do it incorrectly you IB it.

A few other examples of option selects, mostly with bursting:

Arakune can burst (ABCD) and then hold the inputs and release them however he wants for bugs.

Carl can burst and hold D to keep Nirvana activated.

Option selects aren't something that EVERY character finds useful, but I think this would have to get character specific to really point it out. It's not that useful for the characters I play, so I can't tell you anything but the information above.

First of all OS tech/BG was removed. Second, you described it wrong. Considering you don't break throws with A+B, but B+C, so it was done by 1A+B+C, the other options AREN'T option selects.

@ O.P Option selects are basically covering 2 options for 2 different scenarios with 1 input.

Hazama in the corner with 50 meter and a knocked down opponent can do 214214B as they tech. If the tech neutral/or back, he wiffs 5B, with time to do a meaty, if they tech roll forward out of the corner the 214214B becomes 236236B and he punishes the tech with Hotenjin.

I don't really play BB, so I don't know many other common ones, or anything character specific but, that should help.

there's 3 and 4 way option selects, you know...

but yeah, it's when an input is ambiguous and can result in more than one outcome. it's in virtually every fighting game, and in most it's usually pretty goddamn good. arcsys is the only developer i know of (other than am2) that actually tries to make option select difficult to utilize (though this definitely applies more to guilty gear than blazblue).

there's 3 and 4 way option selects, you know...

but yeah, it's when an input is ambiguous and can result in more than one outcome. it's in virtually every fighting game, and in most it's usually pretty goddamn good. arcsys is the only developer i know of (other than am2) that actually tries to make option select difficult to utilize (though this definitely applies more to guilty gear than blazblue).

Well yeah, multple, would have been a better word than 2, I suppose.

First of all OS tech/BG was removed. Second, you described it wrong. Considering you don't break throws with A+B, but B+C, so it was done by 1A+B+C, the other options AREN'T option selects.

@ O.P Option selects are basically covering 2 options for 2 different scenarios with 1 input.

Hazama in the corner with 50 meter and a knocked down opponent can do 214214B as they tech. If the tech neutral/or back, he wiffs 5B, with time to do a meaty, if they tech roll forward out of the corner the 214214B becomes 236236B and he punishes the tech with Hotenjin.

I don't really play BB, so I don't know many other common ones, or anything character specific but, that should help.

Hi. You don't have to be breaking a throw to option select. Read my post, please. Also, if it was removed, how come it totally works? I don't really understand how you can remove something as simple as you tech with A+B and just hold the buttons and continue holding back.

for that first thing I completely forgot I have a button mapped to A+B+C and I use that for barrier and rapid. I didn't realize normal A+B barrier wouldn't work. Anyways 1A+B+C still exists the timing is just mad gay now I get TRM 75% of the time so I dont' bother.

The second thing is cool I didn't know that

First of all OS tech/BG was removed.

No it wasn't, it was reduced to a 5 frame length and the TRM window was increased by a lot.

ikeTari: None of what you listed is an option select. Option Select is when you combine inputs to cover multiple situations at once without dedicating to them.

Would Ragna inputting 214214C+D after being hit with a stagger move be considered option select? I'm guessing it would be since it both techs and activates BK.

No, that would be considered a buffer. There's only one possible outcome for that motion, which is to activate Blood Kain.

I think :psyduck:

Would Ragna inputting 214214C+D after being hit with a stagger move be considered option select? I'm guessing it would be since it both techs and activates BK.
You're teching AND activating BK, not teching OR activating BK. The latter would describe an option select, one single motion which can lead to two+ different outcomes depending on what your opponent does.

also reasserting that none of what ikeTatari said is an option select. Stop spreading false information.