Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Onslaught

[CS1-CSE] Valkenhayn General Discussion

Little thing I messed with the other day was 6C cancels. You can cancel 6C mid start up with 5D before it even hits messing with opponents you have trained to block.

Ex: 6C>5D>5C>236D or 6C>5DD>6C

^ Doesn't j.214B lose to 5A/2A? Or am I just screwing up the TK? I didn't think his j.214B had any inv frames.

Losing to AC is already a big red flag anyway. I m surprised at backdash beating sledge tho, i ll have to try.

Now for some random stuff of my own, keep in mind that i have less than 200 matches played so some or all of it might be proved wrong as both Valk players and opponents gain experience:

As far as blockstrings go, i like to start with 5b 6b. 5b is the pretty obvious choice with its decent speed and range, and if the other guy try to mash something the ensuing CH will make 6b connect for a solid combo. If 5b is blocked but they try something and get hit by 6b, it s an easily hitconfirmable FC for big damage. If also blocked, 6b will still get them closer to you, something you need to get damage from your lows. You can then either 6c>5d, comboing if it hits, going for jb>land>command throw mixup if it is blocked or do 3c or 236b rc if you trained your opponent to block high.

Being in wolf form is the biggest reversal magnet ever. Standing near a downed opponent in wolf form and demorphing as they get up will net you some damaging punishes.

Be cautious when using the j214b extender at the end of his combos, as it s very easy to fully deplete your wolf gauge, locking you in wolf form until you hit the ground, with often catastrophic consequences.

Canceling 236s on whiff with 5d is a good way to travel the whole screen quite fast, while protecting yourself from most melees attacks during the first part. Of course dont try that when you re up against Lambda or the like.

Using wolf form for neutral play is not a very good idea as you need the gauge for all your combos, so chose an angle and go for morph>instant dash since it s the maximum you can do and still be able to do a normal combo afterward if it hits.

Nearly max range 5c>236a>rc>2c>... is a good combo, but be sure to delay the rc a little to raise your chances of 2c connecting.

In wolf form, command dash jb>5b will very often fail to combo if the opponent is not on the ground. Even at very low height they can tech and hit you while you recover from 5b so be careful.

632146 is not Jayoku Houtennjin but it s still a good reversal to use inside the opponent's pressure. As long as the bite hits the rest will follow, even on airborns opponents.

Go ahead and do j214b after most jb. It's almost always good, be it after a blocked jb in the air (if they do anything else but barriering they ll get hit) or an air to ground jb (will combo from pretty high and far for some damage)

Try and stay on the ground. Your air to ground is less than impressive, as jC good vertical hitbox is made almost useless by its feeble hitstun, causing you to get punished even on hit all too often. JB isnt bad but pretty much everyone else will have just as good or better air to air attacks. On the other hand, 2c is a great anti air, and you also got very good ground to ground and anti jump out pokes (5c, 6c and 236c).

Obviously, dont try to throw people if you are not a (human) dash away from one of the edges. 800 damage to get a fullscreen away from you is an excellent deal for the opponent.

So far I experienced more trouble against keepaway characters than against melee ones, unsurprisingly. Getting in is a pain as traveling the whole screen in wolf form isnt going to work (not enough times, anyway). Walking, being patient and surprising the opponent with a 236 or a wolf dash seems to be the way to go.

Overall, he feels very strong. A lot stronger than loopless Makoto.

Probably US time, since the US updates are on Tuesdays. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Also, for mobility issues, seriously I've been having none. Wolf AD (not C-Dash) > revert seems like a really good option imo. And his air to air game isn't bad, j.B is a pretty good poke that can hit confirm into a pretty good combo + knockdown.

He is probably not out in the US. I'd say check tomorrow.

Thanks hun

Probably US time, since the US updates are on Tuesdays. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Oh that's right I remember someone saying something about that. thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully he comes out tomorrow. I'm tired of waiting.

I will hope and pray with all of my might that tomorrow Valk will come to us 360 owners tomorrow.

If you read the post linked in the announcement about valk, they say that PSN will release on time, but 360 is having problems, and currently has no projected date.

Source.

yeah, PSN updates on Tues evenings.

im guessing 6pm-8pm?

vulcan....expect it not to be....so you wont be as let down if he doesnt :P

Alas, my hopes are once again dashed. He is still not here.

Hmmm...... :P

Isn't 6B start up to slow to be used mid block string w/o canceling from 2C unless you dead close to them?

It may not be fully tight, but it's close to and makes for a good frame trap, unless your opponent is very good at timing reversals (or they ib'ed the 5b of course). 6b first hit has a better horizontal reach than it seems and can be used in strings without issues most of the times.