Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Onslaught

[CS1-CSE] Valkenhayn General Discussion

Question

Do a REALLY need to connect all j.As in wolf form?

I feel it prorates way too much my combos

Actually, little known fact is that Wolf j.A only applies proration ONCE per set of 3. So it doesn't matter if you do 1 or 3, it'll prorate the same for the rest of the combo.

Easy example being: [W]5B>JC>j.AAA>j.236B>j.236A>C>j.B>j.B>Land>5B>JC>j.B>3C>j.A>Land>D>[H]5B>2C>JC>j.BBC

So while there are technically 4 Wolf j.A's in the combo, it only applies proration twice since there are 2 separate sets of Wolf j.A being used. So be sure to keep in mind that its not the number of Wolf j.A's total that were used, its the number of SETS used.

Actually, little known fact is that Wolf j.A only applies proration ONCE per set of 3. So it doesn't matter if you do 1 or 3, it'll prorate the same for the rest of the combo.

Easy example being: [W]5B>JC>j.AAA>j.236B>j.236A>C>j.B>j.B>Land>5B>JC>j.B>3C>j.A>Land>D>[H]5B>2C>JC>j.BBC

So while there are technically 4 Wolf j.A's in the combo, it only applies proration twice since there are 2 separate sets of Wolf j.A being used. So be sure to keep in mind that its not the number of Wolf j.A's total that were used, its the number of SETS used.

So you actually do more damage if you connect all the j.As in a set than if you don't, since the extra 2 j.As add damage without proration? I'll have to keep that in mind.

I dont understand, sometimes the [w] j.A will just whiff, like Im not pressing fast enough.

Like in:

blablabl[w] j.B j.B land 5B IAD j.B j.A

and

[h] 236B RC 2C 6B 2C 6C 2C 9 j.B j.A

These j.As just miss :I

I dont understand, sometimes the [w] j.A will just whiff, like Im not pressing fast enough.

Like in:

blablabl[w] j.B j.B land 5B IAD j.B j.A

and

[h] 236B RC 2C 6B 2C 6C 2C 9 j.B j.A

These j.As just miss :I

Ok so for the first one, with the IAD, its a bit strange really, you can't IAD immediately after the leaving the ground cause the recovery is too long on j.B so the j.A won't come out in time. If its for a relatively short combos, you have some leniency to the IAD>j.B link but in general you wanna try and NOT the shortcut for it(Thats assuming you do though) The shortcut usually makes it come out too fast. Going 9>66 tends to work better for me. Its awkward but you have to delay the Air Dash ever so slightly. See if you can try timing it so the Wolf will be just about level with the opponent when the j.B hits.

The second one I don't use but if I recall, that was a Challenge combo and pretty much from what I remember, you need to the last 2C fairly early and just be quick. Both the 2C>[W]j.B link and the j.B>j.A link are fairly tight. I can give you a universal tip though. If the j.A is just not coming out on time, you're either doing the j.B too soon or the j.A too late. Experiment with it. If j.A comes out but just whiffs either above or below, that means you need to adjust the timing of your j.B accordingly. If its whiffing low, do the j.B later, if its whiffing high, do the j.B a little sooner.

Hopefully this helps. I won't lie, this shit is hard. Adjustments for all of this is a few frames at the MOST. IAD>j.B>j.A needs like a 2 frame delay on the airdash for it to work. So just tweak it a little bit at a time.

And [W]j.B>3C>j.A is a much much easier way to do it if you don't trust your execution and you have the Wolf meter to spare. Its a preference really.

Hey guys, I've been using Valk for a while and thought I should start posting here more often. I have a general gameplay question: While I feel very comfortable with my offense, I've been struggling with my meterless defense. I might be doing the wrong thing, but I generally find myself blocking a lot since whenever I try to poke out, I usually get hit. At the tourney I was at over the weekend (I took 7th out of 20 people), this was the one thing that I noticed I needed to work on most. I'd post a video if I had one, but they aren't up yet and most of my matches weren't recorded anyway. Thanks in advance, guys!

Valkenhayn does have crap defense, the best you can hope to do is jump and barrier out as well as using his Counter Assault and Storm Wolf, use 2C if they keep trying to do jump-in's while pressure because it 90% of the time trades in your favor.

Valkenhayn does have crap defense, the best you can hope to do is jump and barrier out as well as using his Counter Assault and Storm Wolf, use 2C if they keep trying to do jump-in's while pressure because it 90% of the time trades in your favor.

Yeah, 2C is really a nice tool for dealing with jump-ins, but I should probably use my CA more, especially since you can pick up into a combo after it.

Instant block>2A. Universal meterless defensive option. You should really learn it.

It's not as consistent as many other defensive options due to its limited range (for most characters), but other than that, it works in many cases at close range. I guess I should have rephrased my question to ask about things outside of 2A range, since that's usually when I run into trouble on defense. I guess that and jump barrier out are my only defensive options without meter. I might just be too hasty with my 2A use.

Yeah, 2C is really a nice tool for dealing with jump-ins, but I should probably use my CA more, especially since you can pick up into a combo after it.

Save meter for CA unless you can get a kill with or you messed up and need to make something safe with an RC. CA is Valk's BEST defensive since he gets a combo off of it. Just be sure to keep it short though. You won't get more than about 2k off of it but the upside is you should get about 20 of your meter back.

Another thing thats tricky to work with but would prove useful is IB>6A. Guard point on 6A starts around Frame 4 so if you can yomi it right, you can get out of a lot of pressure free. Just remember the Guard Point is only to Mids and Highs.

Instant block>2A or Instant block>backdash are good meterless defensive options. Backdash won't work in the corner unless you have a gdlk backdash like Litchi or Tager, but midscreen it's a really good get out of pressure option.

It's not as consistant

Also, just cause it's you. :DDDDD

Save meter for CA unless you can get a kill with or you messed up and need to make something safe with an RC. CA is Valk's BEST defensive since he gets a combo off of it. Just be sure to keep it short though. You won't get more than about 2k off of it but the upside is you should get about 20 of your meter back.

Another thing thats tricky to work with but would prove useful is IB>6A. Guard point on 6A starts around Frame 4 so if you can yomi it right, you can get out of a lot of pressure free. Just remember the Guard Point is only to Mids and Highs.

When you say save meter for CA, do you mean not to end combos with super or don't use reversal Sturm? Also I'll start trying IB>6A more often as long as I know they won't go low.

If you have a strong read on an IB, then by all means, go for Reversal Sturm Wolf. But in other situations where you aren't sure what to do, CA is your best option

tagar's backdash has more invulnerability.

his CA is too good but loses to low profile moves (LK raped my CA with litchi's 2B)

I'm sure most of the time you use CA you end up doing 4.5k (wtf is up with that) instead of them lowprofiling it (happens for other characters too)

and tager is the slow ass grappler with a amazing backdash while valkenhayn is lolz

I'm sure most of the time you use CA you end up doing 4.5k (wtf is up with that) instead of them lowprofiling it (happens for other characters too)

and tager is the slow ass grappler with a amazing backdash while valkenhayn is lolz

1.7k combo is max dmg I get off of my CA .. dunno about 4.5k you're talking about?

iirc the varient Kaigu uses rocks people with Sturm ender.

4.5k for 100 meter is a huge waste. You'd be much better off getting the 2k combo into a reset. Why would you ever end a combo that CAN'T kill with a Super???

I made so many bad choices defensively it was ridiculous.

Litchi is incredibly retarded. That's some 7-3 shit right there I swear to God