Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Onslaught

[CS1-CSE] Valkenhayn General Discussion

Recently started picking up Valkenhayn since CS1 and I'm actually having a lot of fun learning this guy. I have some questions that I couldn't really make out of Valk CSE guide and am hoping I can get answers for them here.

- What is the difference between doing [w]5C>C>j.A>5C>C>j.A and [w]5C>C>j.A>3C>C>j.A? I can never get that second [w]j.A if I do the 3C>C cancel since Valk just flies down to fast for the cancel into j.A to come out, but can get it consistently doing 5C>C, I read that it is easier to do it with 5C>C as well but I am really curious why the CS2 tutorial video uses that as the basic input for his instant overhead wolf mix up.

- In the tutorial video, there is a part where you can do [w]236A blocked>RC>[w]j.A or 5A. I can't seem to get the [w]j.A after the rapid so does this still work in CSE or do I have to input the j.A faster than I am trying for the instant overhead to come out?

To get the instant overhead you have to input [w]5C>C>j.A. I haven't heard of 3C>C>j.A, and I don't think I've ever seen it used... I'll look into it after school.

To get the overhead after 236A you RC and then input [w]5C>C>j.A. The [w]5C>C part must be done extremely fast, as always.

To get the instant overhead you have to input [w]5C>C>j.A. I haven't heard of 3C>C>j.A, and I don't think I've ever seen it used... I'll look into it after school.

To get the overhead after 236A you RC and then input [w]5C>C>j.A. The [w]5C>C part must be done extremely fast, as always.

Yeah, I did try 236A RC>5C>C>j.A when RC>j.A didn't work but was wondering if I was doing it wrong since the video didn't list the 5C>C between the RC and j.A. Actually on a second look, maybe I got stuff mixed up from the tutorial video for the 3C>C part, thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Or not, the 3C>C in question is this part of the video. The input listing comes after the actual part.

It's possible with 3C. If you're already airborne doing the dash cancel with 2C or 3C is better because it uses slightly less wolf meter. (150 instead of 200 in extend) But iirc, the difference was bigger back in CS2. Edit: I guess it's also technically 2 frames faster to use 3C.

Your problem might be that you're not bringing the stick back to neutral in time for the brake. It's pretty fast.

It never occurred to me that I had to take the stick back to neutral for the break, I guess 5C>C worked for me just because it was already in the neutral position. Thanks to both of you for clearing this up for me.

moved:

I really like Valken in BB, but I have some misconceptions I think. I haven't played much, but I really want to get rid of all this because I honestly like this char.

but maybe you could help me with some (?)

- how to beat people who mash 2As or stuff on wakeup like Jin's DPs

- i have a hard time dealing with wakeup backdash, dunno what I can do. There's a dude who does wakeup backdash a lot with Tager and I don't know what to do vs that other than guessing

- valk cant beat carl (personal lol)

Also, I think I should work on his mobility to stay as unpredictable as possible, what are some good patterns to start with?

If people are mashing 2A on their wakeup against you it probably means you're not doing anything meaty. The only ways around DPs on players wakeup with Valk is to use 4C/7C so to avoid it, or you're gonna have to block. Usually you don't know when a player is going to DP but it's up to you to be able to assess your opponent properly. Valkenhayn even has an option select againt Jin's DPs. Here.

6C can beat players who backdash for example, or you could even extend the wolf dash a little more so your j.A/B catches them.

Can't help you much with Carl because I don't play against any good ones.

With wolf movement, I listed various ways here.

Meaty 6B has a lot of active frames so it's nice to use if your opponent is always trying to backdash/mash on wakeup, 2C works well too. The two options Kiba mentioned are better for Tager, as you don't risk getting wakeup grabbed, although I suck at timing my 6C and usually end up eating a grab half the time after it whiffs.

Though once you have the lead against Tager you don't have to put yourself in that situation if you don't want to, if you aren't comfortable guessing wake up just put it back to neutral after you finish a combo. Even with spark meter Valk has an enormous advantage.

Tager can backdash 6C and 6B. It's best not to be aggressive on his wakeup. Joker's enders are great for baiting dp's. Nokita wrote about them in the following link. http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?10681-CS2-Valkenhayn-Technical-Discussion&p=1154542&viewfull=1#post1154542 You can also bait jin's dps with the os for gold burst in the following link. http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?12655-List-and-Discussion-of-Blazblue-Option-Selects

Tager can backdash 6C and 6B. It's best not to be aggressive on his wakeup.

Yea this is the case if you opt for a meaty option but I find that waiting like a split second after he techs helps me a lot. This is not to say that you should do it often though since DJ is completely right regarding aggression.

Good to see you though!

im new to blazblue and decided to use Valkenhayan as my main

Im struggling with this game and character. Did i make a mistake choosing him, he seems pretty hard

Looking at the first page of this thread i have been practicing his mixups but i still lose a lot online. I am finding a lot of his combos hard

Any suggestion for a noob?

I can't offer you specific information on Valk. But I can tell you that if you like the character and you want to main him. Just do it. You can do well with every character in this game, and Valk is a great choice.

Well, if you're new to BlazBlue, don't expect to be winning a lot right away.

The hardest part about Valky is getting a grasp on wolf mode and how to properly implement it into his neutral since it is a core aspect of his game. It may seem simple, but it's not exactly easy to wrap your head around. Most beginners Valky's usually tend to just run around in human mode and rarely utilize wolf mode, try to break that habit immediately if you possess it.

I'd honestly suggest watching tournament Valky players (in order to gain some understanding on how to move around properly), checking out of the combo thread and consistently practicing (work your way up from easier to hard perhaps, if you have any questions about specific combos feel free to ask them here or in the combo thread), making sure that you understand the general game mechanics (bursts, rapids, negative penalty, guard primers, etc check out the in-game tutorial), you may even want to check out the Valky guide in this sub-forum, etc.

After you start to get a good grasp on how the game works, you have a few BnBs down, you understand how to use wolf mode at least semi-effectively, etc then I'd suggest going online for a bit and trying to gain some match-up experience and gradually progressing/moving forward with Valky. Try to learn at least one new thing every day perhaps.

If you have any questions about the game, Valky's movement, his specific combos, his moveset, gameplan, mix-up, etc then feel free to ask them here and I'm sure someone (or myself) will lend you a hand.

Nicely put Dreize. Just gonna add a relatively minor thing.

Valkenhayn is pretty difficult. I would suggest going into practice mode and messing around with wolf mode. Learn how to move around with the various options he has (any direction + circle), and learn how to stop moving with him by pressing C again. Eventually, you'll catch up on wolf gauge management and when not to use wolf since movements consume meter. It will take a while for you to get used to.

Hopefully the Valkenhayn guide can help you, it's here. As Dreize said if you need any other help please do not be afraid to ask.

Any input on Valkenhayns overdrive oddly enough in all the vids that I have seen none of the players use it yet...

what do you guys think about Chrono so far? I honestly believe we will see a legit increase of players thanks to these changes, although im hoping we can turn off the pow sound during a hit

question.. is there a reason why if valk is in the corner in wolf and i use the wolf command grab it doesnt wallbounce the opponent? i thought it always cause wall bouce? or is it cuz the other corner is to far away?

I think it is. It just looks you trying to mix between wolf mixup and baiting DPs/mashing with the w[7CD] > j.C part. Only thing you'd have to be a little wary about is how good their reaction is in AA'ing you.

You're welcome.

I'd just like to add that some characters may be able to mash/DP in between your w[5B > 5C > j.A]. Remember that Valkenhayn has less options after w[5B] (being jump or forward dash again for more pressure) so at times opt to do w[5A(A) > 5C > j.A]. If you know they're gonna block w[5B] it's really not doing any good for you. However usually you don't know if they'll get hit by w[5A] and w[5A > 5B] is a good hit confirm which is why I understand it's use. At least with w[5A], you still have access to both low/high mixup, whereas with w[5B] 8 times out of 10 it's obvious that'll you'll attempt to reset pressure.