Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Onslaught

[CS1-CSE] Valkenhayn General Discussion

One good strat Ive found is after a blocked qcf+a if you have mashy people you can try and use 6a to guard point stuff, now to just find the best combo after I get a counter hit.

My Noel did pretty well, her 5D went right through his 6C. But his 5B Had priority over her 5D?? Wtf?? Like I could literally press D 4 seconds late with his 6C but I pressed D immediatley with his 5B long leg kick and it always countered...other than that, it was pretty smooth since Noel's faster than Valkynhayn

i'm not 100% on this, but noel's standing D is mostly upper body invuln i believe. Valk's 6C is a high attack, while his 5B will reach much lower than it looks like it will, hitting her where it matters.

Valk will have plenty of even/positive match-ups, I think his biggest obstacles will really be the top 3 as bang, litchi, and ragna have safer approaches and safer mix-ups, or Carl who can lock down characters with no good reversal options. (ragna's approach being better is arguable) Even though its not safe, valk can cross the screen as fast as hazama which means something if you're given the opportunity. He'll have a much better time dealing with zoning characters than say makoto or tager. Hell, his 5C reaches half the screen.

rachel will be a bitch once we get a rebalance, it can be a bitch now, but with damage the way it is, it evens itself out

arakune gets to be arakune in this match, but at least you can chase him in the air unlike most characters

oh and mu...mu is a broke, retarded character, someday the world will see and acknowledge this.

rachel will be a bitch once we get a rebalance, it can be a bitch now, but with damage the way it is, it evens itself out

arakune gets to be arakune in this match, but at least you can chase him in the air unlike most characters

oh and mu...mu is a broke, retarded character, someday the world will see and acknowledge this.

mu is incredibly retarded.

Just because it's "hard" to get in doesn't mean it's a bad match-up. It just means we have to "work" a bit harder. >:c

I didn't say bad matchups, I said in his favor matchups. I think most of his are gonna be even or 6:4 at most.

I want to wait until he is more fully played. I don't trust every single Valk player to have a well informed opinion and I really don't want to delete hundreds of uninformed posts in that forum when it's just wasting time until more good players have match-up experience.

Just give it some time ^^

He' not even released on XBOX yet and that system gets more traffic then PS3

Most 'good' players are writing the information down and not posting it yet anyways, This board is intended for new players to learn Valk, when nobody *knows* his info yet it's hard to cater the boards that way. They will be unlocked, but he'll be released and played for a lil bit first.

I'm also waiting for Skye, Mizzet, genoWhirl ect to ask for it to be open, or other char mods ( b'c they will have match-up exp). No offense, it's just your limited post and I don't play on PSN and you're new to the boards, and I've never seen you post in a GG thread and your lack of posting in technical threads doesn't inspire me to open up the match-up forums...Lets let some more people request it to be open before I really consider it. Good job starting the engines turning though.

EDIT: That sounds real mean, sorry. I'm just trying to explain WHY they are closed and what my intent is. Nothing personal.

From the video thread, they were making jump up wait wolf dash B look really hot, also had nice use of the relaunch combos. When Ive been trying stuff Ive been doing as few Beast Cannons as possible, it looks like I can add some in to the combos Im trying as well as more hits of jump A.... Im not 100% how tech time scaling works in this game : /

The way I see it, [h] j.D j.#C (j.#C) j.D is going to be a big part of Valk's approach and punishment game. Use it far enough away from opponents, and you have an option to block, because you're moving at wolf speed in human form, and falling. It's like a glide throw without the throw, meaning no CH state. And when you do that you have j.B and j.214B at your disposal, as well as just landing and going from there.

He's going to require a lot of inputs to be used safely. But that doesn't make him bad.

^You can also enter wolf from specials (like 236A or j214B, D, D to revert back to human) or from some normals like 6C (6C, D, D to revert) since wolf cancel already enters you into the wolf C dash with just the D button. 6C is really nice since you can wolf cancel on startup making it a very fast option from the ground. I love the maneuverability/fake-out options from these, plus it's fun to fly around like this lol.

I noticed something very nice with these wolf cancels. Here's an example:

2A 5B 5C 236A 5DCD falling [h]j.B into whatever. It's really fast too.

Going into wolf modes after 236A/C isn't going to be viable after a week or so. If people get used to seeing you change after those specials, most of the cast can just mash 2/5A to CH you for big damage.

Wolf mixups are best done after a blocked 6B, 6C or a fake 236B.

Approaching with him is a bitch though.

What's a good followup to 6A anyway? It has a slight popup, which I assume means 6A can be jump cancelled but...timing is odd.

6a follow ups are hard only seem to work on counter hit and when near the corner, otherwise they float to far, On CH you can jump asap and do [h] j.b 214b into combo of choice.

5A, 6B, and 6C can wolf cancel off the top of my head. 6C is another great one and also +6 on block. Something like 6B, 5C, 6C is a good string to go into wolf mixup, can also add another layer to the mixup by wolf cancelling 6C before it starts up.

Okay just tried my had at playing as Valk for the first time online. Man, I have a lot to learn @__@ I think the only reason i won was cause most people didn't know how to apporach him yet. Can't get any combos on a moving target >.< Any suggestions?

Going into wolf modes after 236A/C isn't going to be viable after a week or so. If people get used to seeing you change after those specials, most of the cast can just mash 2/5A to CH you for big damage.

Wolf mixups are best done after a blocked 6B, 6C or a fake 236B.

Approaching with him is a bitch though.

Pretty sure you can wolf cancel with 4d/7d/9d and not get jabbed. I'll test some fake outs later I guess.

Can you still barrier after wolf cancel to bait a reversal?

on landing for sure, since you have no recovery frames I believe.

I'm not sure about in the air though.

i'm not 100% on this, but noel's standing D is mostly upper body invuln i believe. Valk's 6C is a high attack, while his 5B will reach much lower than it looks like it will, hitting her where it matters.

Just to clear it up, Noel's 5D is full body invincibility, so it doesn't really matter where the attack lands on her. I'm guess the reason 5B keeps hitting through it is that 5D has a relatively slow invincibility start up (6-7 frames, have to check for exactness), so if the Noel doesn't predict/time it exactly right, they'll still get hit.

It's her 4D that's only upper-body, for future reference.

/edited cause I suck at spelling