Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aaronyu2

Zappa vs Axl

the 623Hs frs dash then S,(ji do 8) then 2Hs,sj, sksks jc sd 41236Hs gives more dmg :)

Is that off Counterhit 623HS? I can't imagine 66 S connecting after a normal hit FRC...

If my memory serves me... You can connect 5S after 623HS(frc) w/o counter in the corner; not too sure about w/ the 66, though.

They're talking about the uppercut.

I know, the comment was a question. I hardly use the uppercut so I'm too aware of the properties.

No one's posted on this thread in awhile so I thought I'd share my thoughts as an axl player. Holistically I'd say this matchup is in Axl's favour, but that doesn't mean it's an easy match to play. Axl's long range pokes kill any hope of momentum that zappa has/wants. This is because just ONE touch reverts zappa back to being 'naked' and whatever setup you had going is gone. Getting in on Axl should be hard, but its far from impossible. Zappa's moves have ridiculous invul, and if used correctly can turn the match around for you. First off is Zappa's summon; not a true reversal but it'll net you a summon and tension. I regularly played a Zappa named Valentine; that said he has a feeling for when I'm gonna poke at him and can usually run at me and summon and beat whatev I was doing. If Axl blocks this move however it leaves you in recovery that makes for an easy combo. Zappa's K, H, and D have lower body invul. I bring this up because Axl prob won't use 5P against naked Zappa (if he does feel free to make him regret it) and will go to his low pokes, most often 2P. However 2P isn't great when Zappa is right next to you and I usually opt for a 2K or 2D. This is where those lower body invul moves come in handy for combo into summon.

Dog is my least favourite summon to deal with. I loathe the dog. This is because the dog is a separate entity I have to deal with besides Zappa and I can't hit him unless he moves. It's fucking bullshit, and I highly encourage you to use/abuse it. I usually throw out 3P or 2K since they're quick. 2P is good but as its recovering you can launch the dog at Axl and begin pressure. Dog pressure is scary. It feels like I'm in a crap-ton of blockstun from all the Hs I have to block after the dog attacks and if I poke out and miss (or the dog wasn't fucking active anymore) its an opportunity for Zappa. I suggest the use of that dog move where his head extends to hit, since if Axl doesn't hit the dog's body he doesn't disappear. Also the dog's somersault is great for when axl jumps in on Zappa with j.S, Zappa blocks and goes into dog somersault. I don't know any blockstrings or combos, but I know blocking against them is a bitch and I recommend any Zappa player to up their dog game as it produces amazing results. Fyi getting dog on wake-up and him eating a move for free is also BS.

Ghost Zappa is a pain as well. If you throw a ghost from the ground, or even the air, always FRC it as Axl can hit you with a 5P from max range and then you have no summon. As far as throwing ghost, go for K ghost toss. It bounces in such a way that it's hard for Axl to close in on you and if he pokes out his hitbox might extend to get hit by it the then you've got a haunt. If you're close to Axl but airborne don't throw out P toss (without an FRC) as it's quite easy to punish with a 2S or 6K. Once you got Axl haunted tho be sure to close in for the kill. The random shit that comes flying at Axl IN ADDITION to whatever blockstring you choose is a pain to block against. Again, I don't know any combos with Zappa but I know that once Axl gets haunted he has to pray that he can hit you or he'll have to keep blocking/eating random flowerpots and golfballs.

Sword Zappa is my favorite summon to face off against. Yes sword can do ALOT of damage, especially when you block a couple of moves and your guardbar is flashing, but it's hard to seal the deal. From max distance I'll use 2P into rensen to keep Zappa at bay. Sword Zappa has one move that he slides across the screen with (sorry I don't know the actual input for the move). It has amazing priority and seems to beat out any move I was throwing out and helps to close the distance.That said don't do this move from too far away as it's easily punished. On that note, I know you can also do that move as part of a blockstring but don't do it too often as it's counterable on reaction. I don't know what to tell you as far as combos or blockstrings to do against Axl, but RCing is definitely something to look into as when Zappa's string ends he's an easy target for rensen or whatnot.

Raoh is a mixed bag. If Zappa gets Raoh I usually try to keep him at the ends of my chains. His projectile is stuffed by Axl's 5P and so is his super. His low pokes have great range (says Axl) and are scary to block against for fear of that D. It's not particularly fast but if you're not focused it will catch you; and probably lead into a damaging uppercut.

It goes without saying but try to stay out the air, or remember to always FD, and definitely stay out of the air if you have no tension. Axl's anti-airs are amazing and it's no fun to keep jumping in to only eat them. If you've read this then you know naked Zappa is my fav to fight, so I'll use a burst or dead angle (timed correctly or it'll whiff Zappa's short ass) to put him back at that status quo. Here's some side notes. It's possible to K over Axl's unblockable but you're better off jumping in for a combo for a punish. Zappa's spit can be caught before it hits the ground with 214P counter be advised. It's possible to hit and dispel the dog (Zappa's still running for a follow up), and then counter so watch out for that. That's about all I can think of so good luck to you Zappa players who are unfortunate to play this matchup and best of luck.

Zoogstin did you go to FR earlier this year? I don't think I had the pleasure of getting to play you, though I think you played my friends Valentine (ZA) and Faultydefense (VE)

Yeah I did. I didn't know the venom matchup so I didnt' do well against him during casuals. By the time we played in the tournament i managed to beat him in one match. But he came back and beat me the remaining two matches.