Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[CS1] Valkenhayn vs Noel

Just had a decent session with LunaKage last night and have just a few things to note:

- Valkenhayn's 5C eats through Noel's 5D/2D invulnerability frame windows clean, primary tool for poking mid-range against her. Had an instance too where TK 214B beat 2D clean as well(followed up with short BnB Wolf Combo). 6A works wonders here too.

- Like Valkenhayn, Noel can't deal with blockstring pressure too well unless she has meter. When she does have meter, can IB reveral Fenrir or Counter Assault to get away from pressure(This happened when I mistimed a Sturm Wolf ender combo, embarrassed with Taunt > Optic Barrel afterwards :/ )

- Experimenting with Wolf Dash cancel > command grab set-ups, these seem to be effective against Noel (like 5B > 5C > Nacht Jager > Wolf Cancel (1D/2D/3D) > Command Grab) since she has no decent reversal.

I'd say this match is in Valkenhayn's favor( 6-4 ?)

If you're blocking low and Noel goes for a 2D crossup, 2C beats it clean or trades in your favor. Don't throw Jager>Wolf Cancels too much. She has fast normals that can stuff you on reaction. Be careful though cause she can IB 5/4D some of your moves since they are so slow and you will eat crap for it. Just keep pressure on her and get her locked down. Not to mention your damage output is insane compared to hers so she has very little reason to take risks. I'd personally put this at 65/35 Valk's favor

As a noel main, I'd say this matchup is 6/4 Valk's favor.

Noel's blockstrings are pretty predictable and her overhead is easy to react to also.

Valk should be able to out range her and fish for counterhits.

Uhh generally, I'd say noel's jA beats or trades with Valk's j.b/c but it depends on the distance and who's higher.

Try not to get caught by a surprise 3C Valk is VERY easy to haida loop.

Wolf cancels confuse the hell out of me and i never know what to do vs them. I usually jump but...yeah theres no "reversal" for that. Use them to your advantage but dont get predictable.

I see a lot of valk's using 236C (the uppercut or w.e) at the end of their blockstrings. Uh...don't do this, or do it sparingly. You'll get 5D'd.

that's all i've got for you really.

Valk's high damage makes noel afraid to take any risky moves. Expect her to be fishing for 5b/5c counter hits.

Actually noel's 5b is pretty good at counter hitting some of valk's normals since it's faster. 5b ch leads to 3c which leads to like what...3k? 2.8k? Just be aware of it i guess.

Actually an interesting thing most people don't know is that Wolf Cancels aren't that scary. Unless he calls it out, backdash will get you out of the Cancel mixup for free. This is true for everyone except maybe Hakumen. Just be careful what you do after as he can quickly chase you and put you back into blockstun. So its just a good option to keep in mind. If you're blocking say Jager(236A) and he does the 4D Cancel(Where he dashes back) Throw a 5C and you'll knock him of it. The only Cancel he can use to get away from a poke off of Jager is the 8D Cancel where he goes straight up. In which case, you need to watch where he goes cause he can then 1C and potentially cross you up or tick you with the command grab. But if you can react to the 8D Cancel, Noel's 2D will knock him out and go into Spring Raid>6C link and go from there. The problem isn't his Cancels off of Jager though, thats just Wolf Cancel 101:keke:

If he gets you blocking, he has quite a few Wolf Cancel spots that will be MUCH harder to deal with. He has 6B after the SECOND hit only. 6C and Schwarz/Weiss Jadg(236B and 236B~B respectively)

Schwarz/Weiss: You can usually get out of his 5D Cancels on normal block with a 5A. Problem is that the reward for it is VERY small and the window is kinda small so its Dealer's Choice. One thing about Schwarz, he can Kara Cancel it right as he brings his foot back into any of his Directional Cancels which can be confusing. This setups a little fuzzy guard between Schwarz's low vs. [w]j.B vs. 1D Cancel>Command Grab. Its pretty brutal but if you can react to the Kara Cancel, poke him out of it.

6B: This move is +8 on normal block which is HUGE. On normal block and assuming the player is really good at timing his attacks, 6B>5DCancel>[w]j.A is frame tight against Noel's 5 Frame 5A. On IB, you can 5A/6A out of it but thats it. But you can always be ready for the Cancel as he can only Cancel into Wolf on the 2nd hit so be sure to watch for it.

6C: This move is +6 on normal which is also HUGE. Now what makes cancelling of 6C annoying is a couple of things. First, tons of blockstun. On normal block, its airtight so don't even try to mash out. On IB, best bet is a 6A BUT heres another issue, due to the height of the cancel, 4D/7D Cancels are more useful as they're much harder to adjust for properly and he'll have more space to maneuver around you to avoid any hits. Makes pressing buttons really hard to do. PLUS he can Kara Cancel it after he leaves the ground which sets ups another fuzzy guard! 6C overhead vs. [w]j.A/j.B overheads vs. [w]5A low vs. Command Grab.

Again, Risk/Reward factor is insanely off balance. You hit 5A, you get 1.5k, you hit 6A, you get like...3k?? He hits you with 6C, thats 3-4k, 6B is 5k, [w]j.B is 4k, [w]5A is 3k~ish, Command Grab with meter is 5k so its a pretty hard choice. But that does include Air Super at the end of every combo so you can take off 1.2k for each assuming no meter. This is the main reason I put this at 65/35. Risk/Reward is insanely unbalanced and Noel's lack of good and reliable defensive options makes this match insanely rough.

EDIT: Also just for references sake, Valk's 5B and Noel's 5B have the same startup of 9 Frames. And if spaced right, stuffing a max range 5C from Valk with her 5B won't get you anything.