Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[CS2] Valkenhayn Vs. Rachel

Did a series of games against one of the better Rachels online that I know and was having a really rough time getting in on her. Once I did it was good from there but just that initial getting close dealing with pumpkins, wind, and lobelia is hard. Most success was using W 9c>3c>5d or W 9c>j.214a.

So does anyone know this damn matchup? I played against a Rachel yesterday and I was just confused as to when I could do well...Anything! Everything she can do is freaking safe so I have no clue when I can try and hit a damn button:v:

played with a godly rachel that destroyed my makoto so easily (almost a perfect match) ~.~

although my valkenhayn is far worse than my makoto i easily won the match so am assuming this match up is not a problem.

focus on

1-don't let her rush on you with that pumpkin.

2-manage your wolf meter carefully as you don't want to charge and let her do her buissnes.

3-her cat chair stays active for a long time so baiting it with W 7C and 4C is hard however she is viable to throws when she is in the start up frames... so some command throws is good to beat it even if she didn't use it plus you will get your wolf gauge back to full.

4-sturm if she used lobela to reset her pressure.

So does anyone know this damn matchup? I played against a Rachel yesterday and I was just confused as to when I could do well...Anything! Everything she can do is freaking safe so I have no clue when I can try and hit a damn button:v:

None of Rachel's normals are safe (except 2A/3C/6C), but even so that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to press buttons. You can attempt to 6A her instant overheads (not completely advised however) or IB her stuff into Sturm wolf. Alternatively you could look for ways to IB - backdash out of her strings when you can.

Pumpkin, George, BBL, and Sword Iris are all + on block, so it's not advised to press buttons during those. This is a matchup that you may find yourself blocking too much. Don't be heavily reliant on wolf since Rachel's circus treatment limits your options but you need to move around to prevent her from easily keeping you in one position. As StarGazer said you need to keep an eye on the gauge otherwise it's gonna definately hurt you in the long run when you run out of meter.

Her 2C can be beaten with a throw on her wakeup, or you could delay a [w] 7CD on her wakeup to punish her with a combo of your choice but be aware that if you hit her she will be crouching (although it wouldn't matter if you use 6B)

Rachel can easily 2C you after you use 6B unless you gatling it into something tight e.g 6B - 3C. Anything else you do is very likely to get stuffed.

Don't jump in on Rachel, her 6A is good. If she combos into the BBL it's very likely you'll end up in the corner, only to find yourself blocking a whole load of mixups.

I tend to use Rozen a lot ... Catches Rachels who like to jump back/backdash a lot by surprise. Given the way the match-up works, they'll always try to create space in neutral to get a pumpkin out, so they're all going to be a bit jumpy. Rozen can also pre-emptively stop ground lobelias if you think they're going to throw it out in neutral.

The frame data for Rachel says that the guard point on her 2C doesn't start till frame 3. Feel free to use something like meaty 2C on wakeup; just don't mistime it.

It's almost impossible to time this perfectly :/

It is, especially since you have no control over when the opponent is going to get off the ground in BB. Just wanted to note that there is that space to hit them out of cat chair.

Footsie I used in the match up was 236A>[w]5B>214B>236B>j.B>j.B>5B>sj.D>[h]j.B>j.B>j.C for 3007k+dmg: helps to get them into the corner.

If they like to start rounds off w/236B, or C. [w]236A will beat clean. If they use 236A you can walk under that in [w] ( must be pretty fast ), and punish w/5A>5B into corner carry combo. Rachel can be grab out of overhead so if mid-screen or close to the corner can easily setup for a 5k combo.

6A was helpful in getting me out of pressure you can 6A her overheard and j.2C attack in her mix-up. I also used 7 or 9j.C>236+236C helpful in a pinch.

Basically up close you gotta respect Rachel, but at Valk's 5B range you can just abuse her. If she jumps either AA w/6A or [w]5B. You can force into jumping if you footsie back and fourth in wolf, by using beast cannons they'll try and jump to avoid a 236A, and you can 5B. If she gets you in the corner you can either wolf dash out or predict a time to hit w/6A and place her in the corner for pressure. She has no Upper( DP ), but she has 2C which can be baited and thrown if you see this, you can net 4k from her mistake, and conditioning her for 6C overheads or j.C instant overheads. If the rachel tech rolls towards Valk you can 2C>6B her for punish, and if she rolls backward 2C>j.C>RC>j.C for 6k!

If you avoid her projectile spacing and punish at correct times w/236A you can take the match pretty solidly. Again that's if you can manage to dodge her 236A,B,C.