Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[CS2] Valkenhayn Vs. Carl

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to beat his j.A spam tactics, I'm listening.

2C doesn't work?? Air-to-air you could probably beat it with a well spaced j.B>214B etc or just stomp on him with j.C

Anybody got any advice on this matchup? Currently I'm figuring that I should spend the entire match avoiding getting trapped, wearing away at the doll, and generally trying to piss the Carl off into overextending.

Since I play this match-up a bunch:

Sahgren summed up the match-up pretty well, so I'll throw out a few match-up specifics that may or may not get you killed :8/: feel free to refute anything:

- Generally speaking, I stay on the ground since Carl's 6A and j.A are too good, and I like my wolf 5B.

- Bite the doll occasionally. I like Wolf AAA B > jump cancel out of there, pretty safe.

- Mashing 6A/super while getting unblockable looped isn't going to work when they bait your mash lol. Obviously, don't get sandwiched, cause Valk is pretty easy to unblockable, and you'll die right away once a Carl player starts the loop. Save your burst and meter for counter assaults to get out of these situations (and don't burst/counter assault at points where nirvana will just absorb the hit or Carl just gets a free combo).

- Carl can bait and punish your counter assault with 3C :(. If he's getting cute and trying to yomi your CA with 3C of course, just block it and punish. Actually if the Carl likes to 3C at the beginning of the round, neutral jump and j.C him into crouching combo please.

- Some Carls will try to zone with doll attack + Allegretto (Allegretto stops wolf airdash approach). Sometimes you can just run under then when they jump for an allegretto and wolf 5B them out of the air (and cancel whatever doll move they're doing). Actually if the Carl is too close to nirvana, running up in wolf form to hit him with a wolf A sometimes works to stuff whatever Carl is doing and interrupt whatever Nirvana is doing.

- A horizontal wolf cannon allows you to pass through the doll if the doll is active (will pass through 4D if done at the right time, which is when I like to do it), and will even pass through Carl as well depending on the position. The doll will absorb the hit though, and Carl will be free to punish you. If you get lucky though, sometimes you can catch the Carl player whiffing something and you can punish Carl after passing through the doll or if you're feeling gutsy, wolf cannon through the doll, do a 4c/7c cancel and attempt to start momentum against the Carl player. This approach is really risky of course, but it's one way to get past the doll aside from jumping over it.

- Punish kara-throw IAD approach on reaction with wolf 5A or 5B of course (wolf 5A is a decent anti-air against carl in general for some reason I find). Punish obvious cross-up allecan set-ups off of blocked As or B attacks, punish with IB 2C/6A/w.5B/jump back j.A.

- When you hit Carl in the corner with a 6C and he summons the doll right before you hit him, the doll comes out and pushes you away putting you out of 2C > 6B range. Really annoying to deal with, just be aware of this and adjust your combo.

- Carl's j.2C from high up will clash with your wolf 5B. Usually, after the clash done from this height, the Carl will bounce after the j.2C if he doesn't press a button during the clash, so jump cancel backwards and j.A him out of the air. If he is pressing buttons during the clash though, mash 5B again of course.

- Carl's 6A has a lot of upper body invincibility, but your wolf cannons have some invinc when they pass through the opponent's hitbox during its active frames. So if the Carl player tries to 6A your wolf cannon, sometimes you'll just past right through and both attacks will just completely whiff. Generally speaking, when this happens you're not at frame advantage, but maybe you can catch the Carl by surprise.

- When you've got momentum just bait his defensive options (backdash, wake-up gear super, vivace, counter assault, burst) and you're good!