Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

njmamm

[CS1-CS2] Carl vs. Valkenhayn

First things first TOOO MUCH RANGE lol but serious, hes not much of a problem IB low and spam Vivace. Hes no ragna or bang he cant do mix-up during hes pressure with out being punished.

If u IB 5B or 2B u can do 5a/2a/5b/2b before his 5c/214b/214c...... im not sure about 214a cause no one ever tried. His mixup game isnt all that & he has na Dp X) YAY!!!!!!!!!!

So feel free to pressure till your hearts content, but if u make one mistake BOOOOM 5K zero heat 6-7K wit 50heat >.> be careful. He has two anti-airs 2C & 6A, there most likely gonna do 2C cause he cant combo wit 6A, its pretty risky if he plans on baiting ur IAD

other then that the other problem is his wolf mode....... if he dash at u 6A his ass out the sky & he cant cancel his attack dash, but his movement dasd he can..... so 5c him out of that

So you should stand infront of her :P?

Its fine, his moves are long so stand further back.

Can we jump-loop Valk?

Does vivace negate his mix-ups or does he get CH against Carl?

Is his reversal super a legitimate reversal in this match-up?

Does he have to do Carl specific BnB's?

Yeah jump loop work flawliss i have test it online.

Still Valk have amazing range....

His DD is a legitimate reversal, Vivace will never give him a CH hit..... If u IB, i never try without IB. An its a 100% evasion if he try his mix up / if u just spam Vivace wile blockin ull get out...... :[ its kinda sad

I also find pressuring him the way to go, He has the same Hp as Ragna but a taller hit box like Hak-man wit no Dp like tao

Tested a little bit, "spam" Vivace is not exactly right, you have to pick and choose sometimes. A-Vivace is usually safe, but at certain ranges 5C will actually CH you for trying, even if you IB beforehand. Also, 5B-2B is seamless even if you IB the 5B beforehand, trying to Vivace out will result in getting hit crouching and eating 5C-236C into combo. B-Vivace loses to 3C more often than not. So a string like this:

2A-5B-2B...

...and then mix between 5C and 3C is solid for beating Vivace spam. Still worth guessing to get out, just you can't spam it.

Also, from my testing, if you IB his 5B and try to interrupt his 5C with your 5A, it will actually trade more often than not. Mash 5A is still good against most of Valk's more gimmicky setups.

Valkenhyns combos hit every character the same way sooo no, no character sp. combos. As for the Vivace i assumed everyone knew about the range thing, if u to fare dont do it backdash is the way to go. O.O WHO THE HELL ever does B-vivace ?.? thats suicidal if ur doing it during a block string

Hrm, I dunno, sometimes 5C will still hit your backdash and then Carl can get hurt kinda bad. Another thing to remember is you can chain into 5B from 2B with Valk, so he can actually do 5B-2B-5B...as pressure for as long as he is in range, plus a slightly delayed 5B can hit Carl out of a backdash. He can also do 236C to hit your backdash, but that's riskier for him. I dunno, maybe I'm testing it incorrectly. I admittedly don't play Carl and I'm posting here because the Valkenhayn matchup threads are still closed.

In any case, Instant Barrier seems to be the best way to go overall. The only problem with that is that you aren't able to punish his 5B on block anymore due to pushout, but I think you're generally better off not having Valkenhayn in your face in the first place, plus Instant Barrier really limits his offensive options.

So I really have no idea how to fight this guy. His BBU hits me but I'm sure it's a bad move, he pressures me for free cuz I have no idea what his moves are/how they work, and there's no actual Valk guide for me to go over in order to learn him enough to learn how to fight him.

Sooooooo

What are his go-to pressure strings/combos?

What should I look out for?

What can I really punish him for?

How the hell do I zone him and keep the engagement on my terms?

Meh, best I can give is to zone him with, 2147C, followed by a quick 623]D[ or 8]D[. That seems to keep him out pretty well, but who knows since I'm doubt I've every really played a competent one on XBL. I don't know where to punish either. Mostly I just barrier him out then backdash. Honestly, how many more simple braindead characters does this game need?

If you're psychic / they are predictable you can IB the attack before a 6C and vivace the 6C and attack from there, but honestly Valk is stupid to deal with. He has really good range, is pretty darned safe on most things if u don't IB and gets easy 4k+. He's kind of a scrub character IMO. Basically if you get him in a combo once don't ever let him go because for the most part he can dick with you pretty safely. CH Brio's are about all i can get safely against him for damage starters. And did i mention that if you're pressuring him and he CA's you he gets a free 3k combo? Gosh I love this character.

Ugh. Wolf form's normals are so dumb-ass-quick and that command grab is a bothersome thing. I need advice for this match up. all i do know for sure is that his hit box is piss-easy to reset, but it's tricky to catch him when he's taokaka-ing around as a wolf and he can just keep-away while he recovers meter. I've yet to successfully AA is j.C or whichever is the downward wolf dive.. and his pokes are long ~_~