Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PandaKingEX

Why does nobody play Guilty Gear 2: Overture?

In the end I don't think it matters what people think of the game now, since it didn't sell well in the first place, and that says a lot about peoples' opinion of the game. And unless someone wants to set up a GG2 Tournament in the near future and people take interest or initiative, I don't see that opinion changing.

If they ported it, I might consider getting it (as a collector), but as of now I have neither the money nor alternative reasons to get a 360.

Hmmm I think it's about the big leap from XX. After being stuck to the XX series with lots of "spinoffs" like Judgement and Isuka we are given a 3D GG with all the characters gone except for the drastically redesigned Sol and Ky and the frozen woman who might or might not be Dizzy. I don't think the story of Overture is a problem, I think it worked out and would stand valid even if it's only released as a Drama CD or a novel. We can see that Daisuke put a lot of effort in this game and the music is one of the best but only a few fans would really stick to Sol and Ky after a drastic genre change. Let's face it, the XX series descended into a series of stagnation story-wise before AC, but still, the release of Overture sends the message that the creators are finally giving up on the fighting genre and will use Overture as an experiment. Then when Blazblue is announced, it's been labeled as the "Spiritual Successor" as if 2D GG is really dead.

Which is not the case. I think it terms of creativity and dedication Daisuke never lacked, but I think Arc Sys has made a lot of bad decisions over the past years(One is not releasing GGX+ outside Japan) then finally made a bold move to create GG2 without even studying the possible fan reaction. I think GG2 could have been better received if it has been released in a different time and with a fanbase who are clamouring it or demanding it. Arc Sys fails to give it a nice set up and it fell on bad ground.

In Japan, it was one of the most selled games on the months when it had come out, like third place or even first.

So not quite unsold :/

are you sure about that? where did you here this? either way, there's actually a community for this game in japan.

I don't know the sale figures over here in the US, but the game took quite a while for it to go down in price fully.

are you sure about that? where did you here this? either way, there's actually a community for this game in japan.

I don't know the sale figures over here in the US, but the game took quite a while for it to go down in price fully.

That's how Aksys is with all their games. It's because they know their stuff is in a niche and somewhat timeless category, unlike other mainstream games that are hype driven fads that lose their appeal a week later when something else is coming out. They don't feel the incentive to drop the price right off the bat. This is why Nintendo almost never drops the price of their games until years later, because their games are going to be purchased by new console adopters long after their initial release.

to the op

cuz is on the 360 and i dont have one anymore and im not planning on buying it again

but i would buy it if by some miracle comes on ps3

I'm sure of it, i found the slaes result when i was researching stuff for my thesis on Daisuke...I'll serach for it again, if you're interested

I'm sure of it, i found the slaes result when i was researching stuff for my thesis on Daisuke...I'll serach for it again, if you're interested

sure, I'm interested in the game's sale results.

maybe a little off topic but what do you mean "thesis on Daisuke?" you wrote a paper on him or something?

sure, I'm interested in the game's sale results.

maybe a little off topic but what do you mean "thesis on Daisuke?" you wrote a paper on him or something?

yes, a paper in japanese for graduation at my university...nothing too long anyway, just some bios, ludography and other stuff I found in interviews and so on.

Anyway...I'll search for it, and as soon as I found it i'll repost here...even if I don't remember how did I find it :psyduck:

--->http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8781

For now I've found this one, I couldn't find the old one, that was a japanese chart...but this should work as well

Haven't gotten to even game except sporadically in a long time and was dropping by here to read up on what's going on with GG, and I have to chime in that until last month I didn't play GG2 because of the trash talking I heard from basically the entire internet.

Put it in last month and totally loved it. Endured, but easily endured, stages where the RTS element wasn't present -- it's no Devil May Cry, for sure -- but the action game + RTS is extremely satisfying and I loved the story. Dramatic like only Japanese narratives are and definitely adding a lot to the GG plotline. I'd love to see Sin in the next real fighter and Dizzy a little more adult if it's all getting redrawn for HD (like in that pic of Dizzy and Ky: http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-03/ggx2-dizzy-03.html). (Hey, not a big moe fan and she can get a little... :sweatdrop: I like more mature women, like I-no. :thumbu:)

I don't have the time in my life to play it competitively, wish I did, but it was worth what I paid for it. No major complaints here.

GG2 is a good game, I played it with panda when I first got live. Overture was the precise and only reason I have an xbox. If it wasn't this game I would have a ps3, better hardware period. If you disagree you're technologically ignorant.

Anyways, I'll be honest I wasn't going to buy the game until i saw Ky (my GG main), until I saw him I was thinking to myself "well Ky isn't in it, so I'm not buying, but because it's GG I'll give it a try". Only until I saw ky did I decide to buy it and an xbox. When I saw ky I flipped, so I could imagine the same for everyone else who plays GG.

But; 1. it's not a fighter, so I'm the only one who plays the game among the people I know 2. the GG mains of my friends, except for one of my friends isn't in the game 3. it's exclusive to the xbox, not many GG players have an xbox (AC+ is ps2 exclusive) 4. VERY big learning curve that even after I played it for like 6 months I still was fairly below average in skill level 5. reviewers gave it a shit rating, making it harder for the game, but that's because once it's not a FPS/NOT a fighting game from Capcom it'll get a mediocre rating at best. If I had irl people to play the game with, I would play it even more. But I don't, so I play BB which is more interactive beyond stupid online play (yes I hate netplay, in fighters).

Something that would've kept me hooked to the game was if it had a 1on1 versus mode. I would've preferred that since I could go 1on1 with people. Not having the entire cast apart from Ky and Sol REALLY killed it. I really enjoyed the game nevertheless, despite its insane learning curve. Hopefully if GG comes back when can can a more coherent story like that of Overture and with Raven still being playable and That man being made playable finally.

I gotta say for it not being popular in America when I got stuck browsing Pixiv for four or five hours yesterday while chatting and doing other tasks (*cough*sure*cough*) it surprised me how much fanart was of GG2. People seem pretty into it. (They added a new "If you add an image to your bookmarks we'll give you the search results for all its tags beneath!" sending me spiraling into staring at Guilty Gear pictures and...Vocaloids.) I agree I wish they'd had the rights to the other characters at the time they made the game but I'd love another game in the same narrative style now that they've bought the rights back.

the other reason being people do not know what the hell it is. The majority most likely think its a hack and slash game like Dynasty Warriors instead of a competitive Action/RTS.

It's a what now? I'm going to have to play this, aren't I?

Hooray for being two years late to the party!

Well, I've had this since it first came out in the UK and absolutely loved this game, but I've never taken it online (because I sucked at it)

After completing the campaign and playing a few exhibitions, I moved onto another game. I recently got back into though and been reading up a few tips.

My friend recently got the game and now I have an opponent around the same skill level as me to practice for online play (though I heard the it's pretty dead...>_<)

Daisuke said in an interview that he choosed xbox 360 simply because it has the better online.

And since GG2 is a game BASED on online competition...