Sign in to follow this  
RcR10

Standard Tournament Rules?

Hi everyone,

I'm part of a small dutch organisation that organizes Fighting game tournaments. So in advance, my apologies, if my english isn't correct. Anyway I would like to know a few things and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

The Community over here is prety small, but we're hoping to organise some good quality tournaments. I've been trough the event announcement thread in search of some standard rules, and i got a few but i still have a few questions.

1. Are there any advantadges to playing on a certain console? Not trying to start a console war or anything. It's just that BBCS isn't officially out here. So most of the people imported a PS3 version. However with Street Fighter there seems to be an advantadge playing on the 360 because, It's said that it feels like PS3 version has some delays (just a few frames).

2. I've seen that one of the tournaments is allowing Makoto but not Valkenhayn. I understand that He might be a bit to new and that might be reason he's not allowed in yet. So I was wondering. If there is a standard period of time before a character becomes approved for tourney play. Since the game isn't in stores here yet, we've decided to not let DLC characters in the game at our first tourney. I could also understand that every tournament organiser can decide on this matter by itself. But Since this is the place where i have the biggest chance of getting a good answer I thought I might as well just ask.

3. Whats the standard on the best of (amount) rounds? Is it best of 3 rounds or best of 5 rounds?

4. Except for banning unlimited characters. Is there anything else that I should know of?

I presume these are the standard already:

Time: 99sec.

Stage select: Random

BGM: Random

Button Mapping allowed

Turbo's/Macro's not allowed

Simple/easy mode not allowed

Any help would be appreciated :D

Basically

Time: 99sec.

Stage select: Random

BGM: Random

Button Mapping allowed

Turbo's/Macro's not allowed

Simple/easy mode not allowed

All of this, except, generally there's no rules on stage select/music, we generally pick whatever they want.

Rounds are usually 2/3 because in general tournaments here are played in a set of 2/3 games.. Having potentially 3 games that go all 5 rounds would drag that shit out forever, especially if it were double elim.

AFAIK, there is no console advantage.. and as for DLC characters/Mu, that's to discression. Most tourneys are ok with home version characters though.

Also, there's a typically unspoken rule that most tourneys stand by: the player who loses in grand finals (2nd place) sucks the winners dick in front of everyone. Not in a gay, or emasculating way or nothin.. Just out of respect. They usually raise the other guy's hand in victory after they whipe their chin off.

From what I understand, all singular games are first to two rounds, with the required number of games to win the match being up to whoever is doing it. Bracket/Grand finals are generally longer than other matches.

Also, there's a typically unspoken rule that most tourneys stand by: the player who loses in grand finals (2nd place) sucks the winners dick in front of everyone. Not in a gay, or emasculating way or nothin.. Just out of respect. They usually raise the other guy's hand in victory after they whipe their chin off.

Stay american, America.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?8426-Going-To-Running-My-First-Gathering-Tournament

scroll to post #7 titled "Running a Tournament"

round/time settings are normally set to default

as for the console only characters in BBCS, it's still a bit contested, but i think the general rule is they are allowed.

Basically

What if a girl won?

What if a girl won?

Then she has to let the guy stick it in her ass. Out of respect, of course.

Actually, since this thread popped up, should we soft ban training mode stage? Not only is the stage ugly to look at, it's kind of weird to tell where the corners are compared to a lot of other stages are. It's the same concept of banning the boss mode stage in GG.

I and many other people are big proponents on not playing on training mode stage, just like the volcano stage in SF4, everyone loses when that stage is picked.

Actually, since this thread popped up, should we soft ban training mode stage? Not only is the stage ugly to look at, it's kind of weird to tell where the corners are compared to a lot of other stages are. It's the same concept of banning the boss mode stage in GG.

I'll never get the idea of banning stages, but I guess this will always be more of a player's choice than tournament runners.

Also, on a smaller tournament I once attended I had a situation like:

-play GG TE vs JO

-Start with simple zeinest combo into oki into combo on hit

-Adversary shouts out "OMG NOT THIS STAGE I CAN'T SEE SHIT IN THIS BLOOD"

-Start+select+whatever to reset game before I said a word.

Some people have issues...

There are stages(like said volcano stage in SF4 and Fire stage in TvC) that literally make it impossible for some colorblind people to see whats going on.

I'll never get the idea of banning stages, but I guess this will always be more of a player's choice than tournament runners.

-play GG TE vs JO

lol What stage was being played?

-play GG TE vs JO

You should have called over a judge to receive your free game. If anyone moves, it's too late to change stages.

There are plenty of reasons to ban stages. TvC had the burning village soft-banned since it's apparently hard for color-blind people to see stuff (although I asked a color-blind friend once if he could see Zero on the stage, and he said he could just fine. He's R/G colorblind too). TvC also had a stage banned because the game had slowdown on it (I think Melty Blood has stages banned for a similar reason). Most of the time though, it's a softban, which basically means change stages if the other person doesn't want to play on it, and it isn't a flat-out ban.

I'm for banning the training stage.

Actually should I just make a seperate thread for the discussion for banning the training mode stage?

That's probably a good idea so the thread doesn't stay horribly derailed.

are macros universally banned, or just banned for stick users usually in majors

I thought macro banning only applied to macros that weren't in the game itself.

The macro rule in my experience generally has been widely ignored, most people don't seem to care about macros.

Lots of BB players love macros, makes no difference to me

Yea, as long as the person doesn't have a modded controller with a 623C button or something like that, it shouldn't matter much.

That being said, beginner mode should be banned. Nobody should be using it if they're at a tournament, but regardless, it should be banned.

Not sure why beginner mode would be banned...

Macros within the game are NOT banned (e.g. binding L2 to ABC). What are banned are programmable joysticks/buttons/controllers such as mapping a button or something to do a combo or specific motion for you.

Though I've never had it come up, in the tournaments I run I allow Beginner Mode. Until someone finds a way to make Beginner mode break the system (i.e. Tager instantly doing 720s and able to do crazy bs because of it [i've never used Beginner, so idk how it works]) I may as well allow it.

As for characters, the rule should be "If it's allowed in Ranked Matches, it's allowed in tournaments," unless of course you're running it on arcade only. So the new characters are tourney legal and the Unlimited characters are obviously not.

As for banning stages: back in CT for arcade, Haku-men/Nu's stage had a lag problem (if someone was Instant Blocking all of Nu's super, or Carl's doll was doing something right as Haku-men was doing his super it would lag the game out pretty badly) so we tried to avoid it. However, that wasn't 100% possible, in event mode the game chose the stage based on the second player's character, so we'd set it up so they wouldn't play on that stage. But if you have Nu vs. Nu, you had to have that stage. In general, certain stages should be soft banned if there's a good reason. The Training stage in CS is a good example.

EDIT: Oh yeah, button macros. It doesn't really change gameplay to have Throw as its own button or RC as its own button, and it's a selectable feature in the game. Until someone gives a good reason as to how these can be broken, they should be allowed. Obviously controller specific macros should be banned, though. However, if the tournament is run on arcade, you won't be able to use button macros.

Beginner mode kind of thins the line between special macros and other macros. Because infact there is single special/super button as well as pre-programmed single button combos when playing in beginner mode. The flipside is of course the huge handicap the bg mode forces you to have.

Beginner mode kind of thins the line between special macros and other macros. Because infact there is single special/super button as well as pre-programmed single button combos when playing in beginner mode. The flipside is of course the huge handicap the bg mode forces you to have.

I thought someone doing 720C in the middle of my combo was broken when I played a beginner mode Tager online. Then I realized: there is a giant green bar that flashes where the Bursts used to be (beginner mode doesn't have burst). When that fills up, Tager will 720C you.

If anything, Beginner mode is the ultimate handicap against yourself. All reversal supers are projected to the enemy, and to my knowledge, there are no reversals avaliable for anyone. (Tager's C is 360B. And Ragna's C is 623D, which doesn't have startup invincibility). You get easy mode combos, but even then, enemies who know how to truely combo you will do more damage.

beginner mode hazama is actually okay if you can instant block, since it auto barriers every time.. instant block 3 hits and you get out of pressure for free because of how stupid strong instant barrier is.. you can still zone with chains a bit, but no A cancel.. can still do basic hazama bnb as well..

you can also use gimmicks with the way distortions work in beginner mode, by just faking distortions.. but yeah, beginner mode is still a joke anyway lol

also, training mode stage+purple/black arakune is fucking stupid.

I blame the new GG discussions for all this stupid running like a T virus infection.