Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyingVe

[CS1-CSE] Mu-12 Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

You by all means did not seem bad. You had an idea of what you were doing/should be doing with your tools and didn't try to set out a billion random steins.

This is kind of long so I hope you don't mind BIG WALL OF TEXT :v: I wrote this as I watched, so some of the stuff I mention, you do later in the vids...so yay.

First vid -

Yeah, naked j2C is very unsafe, it's a bad habit a lot of us have starting out (well, at least for me it was...that big fat CH combo :v:)...though I'm not sure what Rachel can really do against it lol. If it ever does get blocked, try to cancel it into 236A to make it "safer" though you really need an RC.

For blockstrings, try to start them lower in the chain with 2A or 2B. You'll have a lot more options that way than if you started with say, a C move.

From 2A you can do: 2AxN, 6B, or 2AxN, throw, or 2AxN, dash in 2A continue pressure, etc

From 2B you can do: 2B, 2B AGAIN (frame advantage stagger), 2B, dash in 2A... or throw, 2B, delay 5B or 3C (stagger), etc

Or just gatling into a JC-able move and IAD or jump away...you get the idea.

Also when you end a string with 3C, you don't have to always do 5D and jump. From max range, you can cancel into SoD and still break a primer/be somewhat safe. The safest way to end her strings, other than JC'ing is to push them out and either use SoD, or 6C, where you can then set a stein and JC more safely than 3C, or 236A, or 236D/214D if there are steins already out. In the end, anything you can do to end a string safely and/or break a primer is great.

Also try to use air throw more, I mean really abuse the heck out of this if they jump a lot and don't break it/hit you out of it, dat 2k damage (4k+ with RC combo).

Other than that your stein formations were really nice, 5D and 6D are basic and effective and cover a lot of space on the ground. Just work on your hitconfirming and better combos. I think you kept trying to do a Rachel corner loop every time you grabbed her? Try the 6A earlier (to hit them higher), that way you can pick them up after the immmediate j2C. Or just do regular 6A jC j2C 2B...corner combo.

Second vid-

2:45 - If you see them crouching, you can go into 6C for a quick setup. Also, if steins are aligned right like here, after 6C you can cancel into 214D and combo into the explosion for some extra heat/damage. During the explosion you can follow up into 5C 6C..., 6C..., or run up jump jC j2C xD airdash... etc, depending on height.

3:00 on - You mentioned this already, but remember you don't necessarily have to approach the enemy, especially with a life lead. Rachel is pretty easy to zone out, and the only way she has a chance against you is if she gets close/gets you in the corner. If the Rachel is decent, focus more on zoning them out, going in for a quick mixup if you get the opportunity, and snipping off her measly 4 primers. At long range, do stuff like 6D 5D JC 6D 236D...then you can land and do 6D 5D to keep the "laser wall" moving. Afterwards you can send out more steins and/or 236A. You can keep things going for quite a while with different stein patterns, 236D, and 236A.

Third vid -

1:20 - Oh no, don't burst in the air! Wait until you come down from Belial Edge, unless he has meter/yomi to RC he can't do anything about it.

2:40 - Again, you rushed in when you could've just zoned him out with a life lead (Ragna has to take much more of a risk to get in at such little health). If you ever have an excess of meter (you had 100 meter), don't hesitate to just throw out 1-2 steins + light show super, it'll stop them and let you set up some more stuff as your "don't come near me for free" card.

2:50 - Random gauntlet hades, isn't that annoying? Your 5C and jC can give Ragna a lot of hell midrange, and aren't bad round starters if they do random specials like that.

3:30 - After explosion, you can do 6A, immediate j2c, dash 2B 5C 6C whatever instead of an air combo, though that looked hard to confirm all of the sudden. I'm not a fan of doing full air combos since the second jC doesn't really do that much more damage and you are closer to the ground/still have an airdash after the j2C with one jump. But that's just me.

Fourth vid-

0:40 - If they think they can just sledge towards you at the start of the round, just 5C at the start until they start doing something else. 5C, 2C, walk back, backdash, and IAD back are good openers against Tager in general.

As mentioned, 236D with just 1-2 stein isn't too hot in this matchup. 214D with multiple steins is amazing though. Use patterns like 6D, 4D, 6D 4D, 5D 4D, 6D 5D, and 6D 4D JC 2D 5D along with 214D are great to mix it up and make it harder for him to just mindlessly SLEDGE towards you.

Keep an eye on his spark bolt meter, when it fills up, immediately change your gameplan. Try to send out only one stein at a time and SJC into the air. There you can send out more steins and 236D and hang out in the air while he blocks lasers. Better Tagers will keep this in mind and try to approach you while conserving the spark bolt, but don't worry about this for now :v:

Try to confirm 214D bombs into 6B, 6A, j2C, dash 2B...combo, does good damage and hopefully gets the Tager to stop doing dumb stuff.

2D can be punished with 5C, 6C, stuff if he tries to approach with it. On IB, just 2A, 2B, 3C, 2B, 5C, 6C..., he can't do anything after it.

So yeah. Just do less unsafe stuff, practice better blockstrings and stein patterns, and hitconfirm better and you'll be on your way!

your strategy was quite firm, at least i saw where you were going.

your hit confirm was definitely your biggest downfall but nothing we cant fix

i guese me and you still have alot to learn

i still dont use her 6a til this day even though i know the combo lol

i still think i need a critic, i dont think i will get 1 though lol

Thanks everyone, especially your awesome wall of text Zeromus. :D It was really helpful.

Oh, and the times I grabbed her I was actually just going for throw > 6A > j.2C > 2B > 6A > 2C > j.C > j.2C > 2B > super. but I whiffed the 2B after the j.2C pretty much every time...

But yes, my hit-confirming is a big weak point for me. I've no experience with actual fights so end up at a loss for what to do when one of my hits actually connects. I've gotta work on this, so I'll stop losing out on damage. Either way I'm very glad that my current level isn't that bad, I was expecting much worse. :3 Thanks very much for all the advice. I'll definitely work on applying it all in my gameplay.

Too lazy to type up a wall of text. Some stuff I saw that you could improve is that:

1. You're using too much j.2c. It's fine because you noticed that.

2. I see too much 5c 6c 5d 6d 236d on a 5c or 6c hit like every single time.

3. You're not using your other normals enough for pressure. You always tend to go to 5c.

4. I see run up 3Cs. If it's blocked you cancel into stein and jump out. Any offline serious competitive player will punish you for doing that.

5. Mix up your blockstrings and what you do in general. After watching those matches I feel you're very predictable. It's ok because new players or players playing new characters tend to rely on one thing more than others.

6. When you do 5c 6c 5d jump cancel if your 6c was blocked, people will IB your 6c and punish you for even using that string.

7. I saw a delayed back tech from you when you were in the corner. I don't see why you would back tech in the corner since you don't get up as fast as neutral and people can start an otg combo on you.

8. Don't see enough j.c mid range zoning.

9. I saw a 2c on wake up. I don't know what that was supposed to be.

10. Stop trying to mash out of pressure. I see random things. I wouldn't try and mash out. At least if you were mashing something, mash DP. ;|

11. Stop using 6c in general unless you're punishing your opponent for doing some really unsafe move. e.g. DP

12. You always burst when you're low on health. If you don't get punished fine because netplayers usually don't tend to bait bursts. But any good player will bait your burst since you always burst there. It's a habit among a lot of new players so don't feel too bad about doing it right now.

13. Zone more against tager. The way you position yourself, you're in Tager's ideal range. I don't see enough 4d/6d 214d.

Too lazy to point out every single thing but that's what I got from it in general if you're going to play seriously.

wow zeromus most of the thing you said has helped me and l wasn't even being critiqued... :o

and it's got me thinking! now im inspired to get a recorded match in here so you can help me out! :D or better yet we should just have a session soon and critique each other.

why am l so hype right now? :eng101:

We finally got our recording equipment going in Montreal, so here are some vids of me getting blown up with commentary. These games are offline play, but my opponents are also netplayers so you may recognize them :keke:

One thing I will say, before I get blown up by you guys too, is that I have a hard time changing my play style when I fight a different opponent (ex: I'll keep sending steins behind my opponent after playing against a hakumen). I also have the bad habit of continuing to input a combo after I drop it, for some reason. Aaand I sometimes input a jump instead of a dash/airdash, which leads me to drop easy pickups :psyduck:

vs Tsubaki (Level5Chan), part 2

vs Bang (Kaeru), part 2

vs Makoto (Nini Heart), part 2

wow zeromus most of the thing you said has helped me and l wasn't even being critiqued... :o

and it's got me thinking! now im inspired to get a recorded match in here so you can help me out! :D or better yet we should just have a session soon and critique each other.

why am l so hype right now? :eng101:

Was you vs LK recorded/streamed?

no it was not, l would have been posted it. marvel is the better game and it got priority...

no it was not, l would have been posted it. marvel is the better game and it got priority...

No one had a camera or a phone that could record? Really? Wow i'm kinda dissapointed in the BB scene.

so am l. l -thought- stickbug was recording, but l didnt look hard enough. (most likely he was but it was for melty). l'll ask daiandoh later if anyone recorded anything of bb that slipped notice.

there was another mu there that used a green palette and l forgot to ask him if he was on dustloop >.< and we had a full fucking conversation too. l am disappoint.

but lets take this to vm before we get infracted >.>

No one had a camera or a phone that could record? Really? Wow i'm kinda dissapointed in the BB scene.

It's no one's obligation to record anything. If you wanted to watch it THAT bad well...maybe you should've been there.

Vs. Bang

Vs. Lambda

Vs. Makoto

These aren't necessarily my best games with Mu, but I feel they reflect the kind of play-style I've adopted with her. I've only been trying to pick up Mu as a sub seriously for roughly a month or so and I've been a Noel since I started playing BB, so I know I have a few bad habits seeping into my Mu game because of this. I know I don't use lasers as much as I should be and I'm working on implementing that into my game more and I've been told I need to maximise the range of my pokes (since I'm not actually used to having long range pokes.. ;;^^). Other than that, any general criticisms and things I should be working on would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty good ^.^

I think your approach needs a bit of work. For example, in the Lambda match, you were running up to the Lambda and getting hit by air swords. Also, you were throwing out a lot of j.2C's and 6C's. I think you could use Mu's Drive a bit more, and the placement that comes along with it, etc. If you're not going to approach with lasers (since sometimes you don't need to of course), then I suggest cancelling run into Barrier. Very handy, especially in the Lambda example.

I'm very much too lazy to go into details right now but from what I saw, yes, definitely utilize your lasers more. You're rushing down a lot without any stein coverage to keep you safe. Learn some better oki setups, and vary your blockstrings a little more. Toss in more normals like 2A, 2B, 5B etc to keep them going for a little longer. Also I thought I saw like 3 6Cs in a row in one match, from pretty close range too. 6C is pretty dangerous unless you hitconfirm into it or read an opponent, as juicy as the FC combo is, just avoid using it empty. I also noticed some run up 3Cs, try to avoid that. It's better to try and confirm into it with safer normals like 2B/5B etc.

That bit against the Lambda where I used 6C for the third time was more me being fed up of it going through her invincibility than actually expecting it to hit.. xD

So from what I've heard so far, I definitely need to work on my approach; be it using lasers to cover me and using safer normals. Less j.2C/3C, more #D/5B/2B. Thanks for the tips you two.

A few things I noticed. Not bad execution wise but your zoning needs a little work. You set a 5D stein when Makoto was right on you and got CH'd out of it. Be careful about that. Also, you got CH'd out of the air by the Makoto 3 times in a row. Were you trying to set steins/attack on wakeup or were you mashing tech? I also noticed a lot of empty j.2C attempting to score the CH combo. While that combo is awesome, don't use j.2C that often outside of combos where you confirm into it. It's a mistake that I know a lot of newer Mu players do, myself included. >>; But yeah, you were getting CH'd out of things a lot. Work on your defensive game.

One thing I thought was weird, you tried to reversal super and it got blocked, so you RC'd out of it then dashed and did 2B > DP? I'm assuming that was an accident though, if not I have no clue where you were going with that lol. xD

Anyways you're not bad, just got a few things to work on. :3

The CH's, after getting CH out of my stein setting, were me forgetting Makoto's everything has priority and trying to get out a j.b then a j.c. I'm proud to say I don't mash... >< The 2B > DP was supposed to be a 2B > 3C. It's very easy for me to accidentily DP when doing Dash 2B pick ups. Haha.

I don't usually j.2C that much, but I find it very effective against Makoto. Though shadowblade didn't seem to do it much this particular match, in earlier matches, he'd do alot of dash 2A (Jesus Jab) which would gimp my 2B's and such. j.2C, when timed right, can out range her 5A and her anti-air, and it can bait her 2A since as you know people tend to gimp Mu-12's j.c with their 2A. I got him twice with it the last round. I think mixing up between j.c and j.2c can trip up the opponent at times.

And yes, my defensive game is pretty mediocre because I love rushing down. That's probably why my zoning may be lacking as well. I play very aggressively with Mu-12 and I very often always feel the need to gimp the other person with any and everything I've got. Haha.

Thanks for the insight. I still feel I have room for improvement and I'm willing to hear anybody else's saying about my Mu.

I noticed a lot of times you got a crouching hit, but didn't confirm/go into 6C. You can get free setup from further away than you may be able to pickup with 2B, so try to confirm crouching into 6C whenever you can. Edit: Oh wait, you did that later in the video.

When doing 5D, 6D setups, don't neglect to punish roll/no tech with 2B or do "5D, 6D, forward HJC...[see what they do]" to keep them honest. At the least confirm air laser hits (when they try to jump out) into a j2C or something. SoD (charged) after 236D is also good, if they're really intent on just jumping out, you can get a wallbounce into combo if they don't barrier and it's already a good setup by itself.

I'm not sure about wakeup 632146C reversal RC. Wouldn't it save more meter just to wakeup DP RC?

That last combo was so beautiful. I didn't even know you could do that. Lol eat it Makoto.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being aggressive with Mu, as long as you "do it right" (judge risk/reward well, bait out stupid stuff), but I think there are some matchups where the risk/reward is so messed up (like Makoto). it's definitely better to play more zoning-oriented and just "run away" a lot. I think in these matchups there should be more of an emphasis on spacing/poking, orb placement, and waiting until they're in the corner to do real pressure, playing it safer midscreen. But that's just how I see it.

Well, I strongly advise running away in the makoto matchup, at least when the player knows how to approach Mu, (It didn't look like shadowblade did).

The biggest thing I noticed is hitconfirming your jC. Alot of the hits Mu is gonna get come from jC hits, be ready to confirm it:

Air CH jC> Dash6A>...

Air jC>j2C>Dash2B>...

Ground jC> Dash2B>...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAfQBWx1juo

Any hints, tips, critiques?

J.2C against any good Makoto who knows the match up is a free parry into 7-10k. Against a decent one, you eat 6A and eat like 3k.

Hell, any smart person can just block the damn thingy and punish with whatever they want.

J.2C is not a good tool to use against Makoto. Just throwing it out there.

Also, it's hard to give constructive critique when you upload vids playing against people who are not really good.

really? wouldn't it be the exact opposite (since they make x infinity more mistakes)? lol

every time they move, you pause the video and you say, no no no no no!!! no. no. STOP. STOP. STOP . you're doing it wrong.