Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyingVe

[CS1-CSE] Mu-12 Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

I've seen different jp. players often doing 632146D randomly, or on oki. Seems to be a nice tool for finishing off too, like Bang's nailrain or Litchi's great wheel. Not that strong as those two, but pretty solid and unexpectedly tricky. Opponent doesn't always consider this random attack that much as a block-only option, and still tries to rush at you. So, wouldn't 632146D (with 4 turrets set) be another one misc. meter option?

PS: C0R, maybe this is not the best topic for that, but I wanted to ask, if you are still planning on doing those tutorials you've listed in the poll? Actually I'd love to learn from them. Starting using Mu I like her style more and more, and want to dig deeper into advanced stuff :3

Do you have any vids of your play?

If some Dumbass whiffs some horribly punishable move like ID. If I can't be fucked ill just Omoi them after a 6C FC or something.

Other than I just RC all day. Really save my ass sometimes. Plus with 50 Heat I go balls out crazy with Origins.

+ I really underuse that special. I think game would improve a lot if I used it more.

Do you have any vids of your play?

I have a lot of videos I'm not proud of, because of the rate of which I've been leveling up under the TUTELAGE OF HAKUMEN GOD. You can watch me body people at NCI.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what is NCI?

Also, your tutorials are?..

under the TUTELAGE OF HAKUMEN GOD

you're hinting that mu is a FREAKING GODSLAYER :)

Got back from my very first ranbat ever today. Holy crap I was nervous wreck. I discovered I don't kow shit about fighting Ragna or Lambda. xD

So without further adieu, heres two of my matches from said ranbat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN64nEHHA60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KsSWDghS8

I also fought BeaverDeity's Lambda and got blown up, but don't have the vid. :[ Which sucks cause I'l love to have help in that matchup.

So I did kinda...well, fist ranbat nerves and slight lag on the monitor combined. This results in a lot of dropped combos in poor hitconfirming. xD But otherwise I didn't die right off at least! People not knowing wtf to do against Mu helped a lot...>>;

5d > SoD Cancel

6d > Origins Cancel

Very critical in matchups vs rushdown characters! Also very underused. All I have to tag on for now, will give something more in-depth later. The vast majority of your mistakes where nerves-related, don't worry about them too much, you'll get better at it the more ranbats you go to.

I'm looking forward to what C0R has to say as well, these are matchups I don't fully understand myself yet. Just some advice, I felt like you had very limited options on block to finish your blockstrings. It was like either 3C jump out, 5D IAD back, 5D 236A, or SoD level 2-3. Add a few things like special cancelling 6C/5C/3C/j.2C directly into 236A to run in for another mixup or even 236D/214D if the steins are in a position that makes this even better. Just don't get carried away and do it every time, because it's easy for an opponent to answer this if they're expecting it, but the reward is great if you catch them off guard.

I dunno if this is appropriate advice, but one way I found to deal with nerves in particular was to shake my opponent's hand at the beginning of the match and/or say something like "good luck" or "let's do this". I haven't done massive tests to determine if this has a real effect on nerves themselves, or it's more my opponent, but I recall being able to think clearly in matches where I did this as opposed to sometimes just autopiloting in the other case. Maybe it's just me though, but good luck with them nerves anyways.

Another thing about nerves is never start thinking "this guy's free" or "I don't wanna look free". That's when you stop focusing on the match and get blown up, or at least that's the case for me. It gets better over time, I guess, keep attending the ranbats and good luck!

Thanks to both of you guys. Yeah, my nerves got to me, but most of the people I fought were very nice which helped a lot. ^^ Will be happy to see what you say later C0R.

I think for a first ranbat I didn't do terribly. It used to be I wouldn't even GO to one let alone enter. ^^; Even though I lost I had LOTS of fun. And mad props to my gal Lunar for placing 4th in her first ranbat ever too. Her Tsu is getting pretty solid, and she faced Mystic's Tao like a BOSS and didn't go down without an incredibly hard fight. :3

I'm gonna be entering a doubles tourney on the 23rd too, so wish me luck with that. Hopefully there will be vids of that too that I can get some tips on. I'm glad our offline BB scene has grown so much, I'm getting amped. :3 I wanna be able to rep our girl to the best of my ability.

I wish I could annotate your match so I could tell you what I would have done but I can't :P Anyways typically against Ragna I find it more important to get 236A out over Totsuka because he can't really do anything about it.

I'll pick your brain about your use of Totsuka though- don't find it necessary to go in after your opponent after you setup two steins into Totsuka because 90% of the time (assuming the match is neutral) they will jump away and you aren't really going to get anything special out of that because your options are pretty limited. * Going in the air means you lose out on a high low game, and due to the recovery of Totsuka going for an air grab might be difficult since they should have more than enough time to mash something before you get there and going for a j.c means you are hoping they don't block it because if they DO block it your only option is j.2c and j2c + being that high in the air = free punish. Basically you lose a ton of momentum as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KsSWDghS8#t=0m18s (you ended up having to block, but right at the start you pretty much had complete control over Ragna) ... Don't think you need to Totsuka for the sake of Totsukaing*

What is cool about the moment I linked ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KsSWDghS8#t=0m18s ) is that your Totsuka was done properish and I can explain why, obviously distance being the obvious one- he's full screen so it was free, but also the factthe 236A was out and he had to block it meaning he had to fall into the current Totsuka and at this point (where i mentioned you went in) you could have set up MORE steins and gotten ready to do another 236A to keep him at bay.

I wish I could explain the "proper" time to go in, but I think as you play enough you'll understand when you really NEED to get in. The most obvious time will be like if they actually block a totsuka on the ground, especially if you have really far apart steins and you can take advantage of adding more steins to extend the bounce.

After a burst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KsSWDghS8#t=0m50s

Here you went for 6D Totsuka but that 6D was useless because you already had a stein there lol (watch/memorize your steins). In that particular situation, your steins were incredibly far you even had one behind the one visible in that clip meaning burst -> totsuka would have put your opponent in a bad position because he's too far to do anything and all he can do is fall and since your steins had enough distance to travel you could have extended with a 6D, 2D_4D and gone for a jump in mixup.

I think the safest thing to do off a burst (if you aren't watching steins) is probably 6D 236A. This was fun I should do this more... but I'm the worse mu evah -pulsr

I'll see if I'm interested enough to do your 2nd one ( didn't really look at it :P )

Do I see that Cookie has dropped Lambda as her main for Mu? Whats this now?

Anyways...first off. You seem to be lacking basics so far. You're not really using Mu's drive very well. I also noted that you got some hitconfirms but you did less than optimal combos off said confirms. You kept on doing the same corner "combo"...2B > 5C > 2C > j.C > j.2Cx2. She's not really a "loop" character anymore, thats CS1 stuff. You don't get any good oki off of those.

My advice, learn better optimal combos and use them. Actually use Mu's drive in your matches. You didn't place steins much, but when you did you used somewhat poor placement. I also saw you use empty 6C twice, oh my god do not do that ever. D: Don't do it unless you KNOW it'll hit cause that is a terrible move on whiff.

Anyways theres probably more I should say but I just woke up and don't really wanna keep writing. x_X; Aside from that, I have to say...punishing Valk dive super with astral = lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lx4VuCptb0&feature

Mu vs Valkenhayn.

Some things.

1. Recorded on my phone. Cookie will get a camcorder soon.

2. The Valkenhayn isn't the best player but it seemed like he was trying to learn so cut some slack peoples.

I still have some things to work on with Mu, I know. :sweatdrop:

You actually handle the character better than expected, I'm a little surprised, you seem to know which pokes work where and how to use her normals in neutral, which is more than I can say for a lot of people, must come from having to poke with Lambda.

My advice: Keep playing.

Do I see that Cookie has dropped Lambda as her main for Mu? Whats this now?

Anyways...first off. You seem to be lacking basics so far. You're not really using Mu's drive very well. I also noted that you got some hitconfirms but you did less than optimal combos off said confirms. You kept on doing the same corner "combo"...2B > 5C > 2C > j.C > j.2Cx2. She's not really a "loop" character anymore, thats CS1 stuff. You don't get any good oki off of those.

My advice, learn better optimal combos and use them. Actually use Mu's drive in your matches. You didn't place steins much, but when you did you used somewhat poor placement. I also saw you use empty 6C twice, oh my god do not do that ever. D: Don't do it unless you KNOW it'll hit cause that is a terrible move on whiff.

Anyways theres probably more I should say but I just woke up and don't really wanna keep writing. x_X; Aside from that, I have to say...punishing Valk dive super with astral = lol.

I know about the steins and the other mistakes. I started practicing Mu before and then I dropped her so I played shittier with her then I first started. I've been stepping up the practice lately and would love someone who's proficient with Mu to help me train. I'm not really dropping Lambda though; just dropping her to submain.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to learn her, which feels like learning Nu all over again. I remembered a time where I was first learning Nu and got owned so many times when I first started using her.

Oh, and C0r, thanks for your comments as well. Guess I have a loooooot of work to do.

I know about the steins and the other mistakes. I started practicing Mu before and then I dropped her so I played shittier with her then I first started. I've been stepping up the practice lately and would love someone who's proficient with Mu to help me train. I'm not really dropping Lambda though; just dropping her to submain. Thanks for the advice; I'm still trying to learn her, which feels like learning Nu all over again. I remembered a time where I was first learning Nu and got owned so many times when I first started using her.

Oh, and C0r, thanks for your comments as well. Guess I have a loooooot of work to do.

Mu has a lot of freedom in what she can do and where, because her neutral game is dominant, so don't be scarred to play a little aggressively, even if you are aggressively keeping them at bay. Don't try and deal with their approach, but rather make them deal with your zoning. This is a core mistake a lot of players make with the character, is that SHE defines the pace of the match.

Yeah, with Mu make them come to you. It's not so much keeping them away at it is making them figure out how to get to you then punishing them if they make a mistake when getting close. Make them fear you from far away and from up close. :kitty:

And I doubt I'd be considered "proficient" in the least...though I'd train with you if my connection didn't suck ass. =P

Mu has a lot of freedom in what she can do and where, because her neutral game is dominant, so don't be scarred to play a little aggressively, even if you are aggressively keeping them at bay. Don't try and deal with their approach, but rather make them deal with your zoning. This is a core mistake a lot of players make with the character, is that SHE defines the pace of the match.

Yea, I hear you on that. But I don't understand- what's the right way to use the steins? I've been watching Japanese matches (I know, I know, don't follow everything they do), but I'm still a little confused by how to use them. Maybe I should try Mu's challenges or something.

I could probably play you on PSN eventually, we should get a decent connection. I just lent my copy of the game to a friend, but I asked to have it back asap so I could practice the new set of optimal combos.

If I had some advice to you, I'd say use 2C more, it's a great anti air. For sure do the challenges, they make you understand a lot of stuff.

Dunno how proficient I'm considered, but I could show you at least some stuff if we play.

Yea, I hear you on that. But I don't understand- what's the right way to use the steins? I've been watching Japanese matches (I know, I know, don't follow everything they do), but I'm still a little confused by how to use them. Maybe I should try Mu's challenges or something.

Because they're very non-commital, you can just do them, like all the time. It's not at all like a conventional zoning tool. Try and think about how Litchi uses Matenbo toss and the like, it's very similar to that.

Yeah theres like no one way to use them, you adapt based on what exactly you wanna do.

It's impossible explain, you just gotta learn it for yourself by playing.

I could probably play you on PSN eventually, we should get a decent connection. I just lent my copy of the game to a friend, but I asked to have it back asap so I could practice the new set of optimal combos.

If I had some advice to you, I'd say use 2C more, it's a great anti air. For sure do the challenges, they make you understand a lot of stuff.

Dunno how proficient I'm considered, but I could show you at least some stuff if we play.

I have much to learn as a Mu beginner. :o

Because they're very non-commital, you can just do them, like all the time. It's not at all like a conventional zoning tool. Try and think about how Litchi uses Matenbo toss and the like, it's very similar to that.

I just watched that match between you and Xie (btw, nice gameplay against Platnium even though you lost-she is freaking annoying at times, lol) and I think I understand the steins a bit now. They have to be used to trap the individual. I just need to learn Mu CS2 combos. I'm too used to her CS1 stuff.

Yeah theres like no one way to use them, you adapt based on what exactly you wanna do.

It's impossible explain, you just gotta learn it for yourself by playing.

This.

Mu can work for your playstyle. Some are better than others, but it's all situational. I play incredibly aggressive, but I only try and get in when I have steins Set where I need them. And when I'm low on HP. I turtle that shit and Keep away all day.

This.

Mu can work for your playstyle. Some are better than others, but it's all situational. I play incredibly aggressive, but I only try and get in when I have steins Set where I need them. And when I'm low on HP. I turtle that shit and Keep away all day.

Hmm, with Lambda I played a combination of rushdown and keep away so I guess that would be my playstyle for Mu.

Btw, does anyone use a pad for BB? I'm asking because I find it tough to do her stein setup combos in the corner on pad. I should start with easy combos for now, right? I also did some of the challenges last night as well.

Hmm, with Lambda I played a combination of rushdown and keep away so I guess that would be my playstyle for Mu.

Btw, does anyone use a pad for BB? I'm asking because I find it tough to do her stein setup combos in the corner on pad. I should start with easy combos for now, right? I also did some of the challenges last night as well.

lol pad

No, I know a guy who plays exclusively on pad (He mains Lambda too) and even he said he wouldn't play Mu on pad. Not that it's impossible I personally don't recommend it though. I played Lambda on pad, and had no real problems with it, but can't for the life of me play Mu on pad.

And no matter who you play yeah, start with easier ones an work your way up to the more complex execution heavy stuff.