Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSlyMoogle

Anji Mito: Questions and Answers

None of them Gatlings into 3P.But 2P recovers fast enough to make it look like a gatling.The only thing that would go smoothly into 3P is 5K.

6K works too.

More on 2P, 2K mix up since I use it quite a lot!

It's a very good mix up, that leaves you with many options on hit or block. Most often, I'll end up doing a 6P gat after 2K on hit or block seeing as 6P does move you forward just a little bit more to help with pesky faultless. On hit, you can extend into basic combo via 6P > 5S > etc. On block you can do 6P > 5S into some more guard crank or more mix up via slipping in a 2S or 2D or stomp. On a rarer occasion I like to do 2P, 2K, 5D mix up, which works pretty damn well if you ask me. From there you can go with damage or KD, depending on your play style!

Though lately I often find myself doing slightly less obvious mix ups. I feel its a little too easy to block 2P, 2K seeing as you can't really go for a quick overhead after 2P. Not to mention 2P itself puts you in crouching, even if its not a low, it almost insists there will be a low. I do better with 5P or 5K as a 'placeholder' to start mix up. From there you can easily go 3P or 2S/2D/2K and its just a lot less obvious if you don't start from crouching position, especially as oki.

That's pretty much all I can think of for that mix up at the moment. Ahh..miss GG haha.

Throw butterfly > Run in > TK Orb at point blank > RC it > Run up, do it again > RC that one too > Run up, 6+Taunt > ??? > IK?

They'll never see it coming. Neither will you.

I have two Qustions

1. How to you train in GG. A lot of people say not to fight the cpu but there seems to be no one who plays in Louisiana. Also the cpu makes it hard to train becuase it dosent play like a human.

2. Who should I train Anji with in trainging mode when your trying to get guard points down.

I have two Qustions

1. How to you train in GG. A lot of people say not to fight the cpu but there seems to be no one who plays in Louisiana. Also the cpu makes it hard to train becuase it dosent play like a human.

2. Who should I train Anji with in trainging mode when your trying to get guard points down.

1. Comboes you train in training mode with a dummy set on recovery back or front,and you get matchup experience via players.You might have to go out of your way to find people if you can't find anyone in your area (you should check the matchup forums in your area)

2. My favourite is testament.Record it using throw--->dash in 214HS.Another string you can try is 5K 5S© 5HS 41236HS (Forward EXE Beast).You're supposed to AG the beast.

How in the hell am I supposed to AG the beast. Should I use 3k, Fuujin to Ren,or jS,or even something else.

IB 5HS into 6k autoguard is the absolute best method (since IBing reduces your blockstun).If you don't like this string then try recording 5k 5S(s) 2S 2HS on testament autoguarding the 2HS with 6k.(You generally AG high with 6k unless you're "fishing" with 6S)

Do his butterflys have any ability to crossup?

I keep feeling like they could...

They don't. Not by themselves at least.

There's some pretty funny ways to make them crossup.

Knockdown > Shitsu > 66, 5K, sj(9)

The first hit will be from one direction, the rest will be from the other. It can get espeically crazy when you use j.D to screw with positioning. Try to j.D as close as you can from them horizontally speaking for best result.

They don't. Not by themselves at least.

There's some pretty funny ways to make them crossup.

Knockdown > Shitsu > 66, 5K, sj(9)

The first hit will be from one direction, the rest will be from the other. It can get espeically crazy when you use j.D to screw with positioning. Try to j.D as close as you can from them horizontally speaking for best result.

Awesome thank you so much! :keke:

Hay I was facing the com to day and the com-anji did 236S to his charge super. I was wondering if that was possable for regular anji to do

Assuming anybody still comes here I have some questions to ask :p rebuild the gg hyep

most of my guilty gear experience has been on #R online, so #R anjis gimmicks work excellent on 4f+ delay :o)

how do I transition to AC? I hardly know his new moves but im working on that

-my staple combo for anji on #R is 5k > 5s > 2d RC 66 >

-any move that floats into (stomp, CH j.d/6k) > 5s JI 5s(close) SJ j.s j.p j.s JC j.k j.s j.hs j.d

I dont use fuujin alot since it gets stuffed most of the time.

I like to P stomp into knockdown and throw out j.d and 6k for CHs

I suck at autoguarding, is it safe to just throw it out or am I going to have to anticipate an attack first.

I also try to 5p ON alot since its cool

and 5k TK ON

anti air with 5p 5k 5s and j.d

Unfortunately im far too lazy to learn specific match ups and I do my training on the top 5

Can I get linked to some universal combox/bnbs?

also any advice for #R > AC

+sorry if these have been answered or discussed but Its a (old) jungle around here

Regarding staple combo for AC Anji, you don't have to bother RCing 2D now since you have better options. Basic combo if you have 25% tension is 5K, 5S, 5HS, HS fuujin, D followup, HS fuujin, K followup, 5K, 5S, On (with some adjustments depending on how far you are from the corner but this is basically the universal recipe, I suggest you check the threads for more infos). If you don't have tension just do something like 5K, 5S, 2S, 2D into shitsu okizeme, and if you are not too far from the corner you can do something like 5K, 5S, 5HS, HS fuujin, K followup, 5P, On.

Your air combo is good, I use the same with a few variations depending on the character and it's definitely one of the best ways to do huge damage from launchers if you don't mind losing knockdown. Particularly from K stomp.

About autoguard you have to be careful because a lot of them have been nerfed, on the other hand they allow anji to cover more situations thanks to new followups. But you need very good reading of your opponent's game anyway. Big changes include 6HS and 2HS being late autoguards and 5HS losing its autoguard frames. You get a new K followup that is useful to use after you autoguarded against a grounded opponent and a D followup which costs 25% tension. It's similar to P followup except it covers a larger zone and is very unsafe if whiffed. Not really useful in my opinion because of tension cost and risk, but it can serve to escape things that are inescapable otherwise. I only use it against Kys who abuse CSE oki until they understand that it doesn't make them invincible if they don't FRC or anticipate.

Basically on how to use autoguard in AC I have a simple flowchart that works pretty well I think :

- 6K is probably your most useful autoguard, use it on reaction to obvious overheads or jump ins and followup with K followup if you opponent is grounded, P followup if he is airbone. You can't really rely on its CH anymore as it now staggers on counter hit and your opponent will often be able to escape before you can do anything. On air CH though you might be able to combo into 5P, On if you are at the good distance. Don't throw 6K too randomly though, it has autoguard since frame 1 but does last only until frame 5 so you really have to be sure that it will hit.

- 6S has late autoguard frames, this fact makes it an even greater move as a poke so don't hesitate to throw it at good distance, in CH you can confirm into 5HS, then HS fuujin if close enough, if not straight S fuujin can do the job. Don't throw 6S if your opponent is close to you though because its hitbox has now be shrinked and it won't hit opponents close to Anji.

- 5D has autoguard frame starting early (but not instant), autoguard air attack and then cancel it by P followup and it can be used as an anti air. Particularly useful against moves that you can't tell if they will crossup or not (like May's J2HS) but it carries a high risk. No problem if you can use it on reaction though.

- Also 6HS is useful straight after throwing a butterfly on okizeme, if you sense that your opponent will attempt an invincible move like DP or dead angle do get out of your pressure you can catch this thanks to the autoguard frames of the move (which are really late but last long).

- 3K is the new frame one low autoguard move. I wouldn't recommend to use it at all unless your opponent is so predictable that you know he is going to do a low as his next okizeme but it's really unsafe and I can't really think of any low move in this game that is easily reactable. Other than that it is useful for its throw invincible frames but the move is so long that even if you bait a throw you might eat the opponent's 5HS anyway.

For other autoguard moves don't really bother, except HS followup of fuujin that is really godlike if your opponent happens to be right above you after you whiff a fuujin but it's not likely to happen often. But essentially 6K and 6S are the ones you will use the most often because they carry the least risk and cover a lot of common situations.

For general advice on AC Anji, I'd say try to always get the best damage from combos and if possible knockdown into butterfly mixups. Don't use autoguard unless you really know what you're doing with them because they carry a lot more risk thant before. Mastering them is with few doubts a great plus to your game but it's far from being essential to have a good AC Anji.

Oh and also I almost forgot, but HS fuujin is a GREAT move in AC. It gained more invincible frames and is easier to combo than before, however it is still a risky option as it can you can be hit out of the move during the late startup frames and also because if its guarded there isn't really any perfectly safe followup to throw out. But learning to use the move properly on reaction or anticipation to other moves is a crucial skill to master if you want your Anji to be scary. Having your opponent understand that he has to respect the move will weaken his offense and make life easier for you.

Thanks for the lenghty reply lol I just searched for all your posts and got some good information.

So HS fuujin will combo because 5HS puts into forced crouching?

Basically its fuujin loop with D followup until your close to corner then K followup ON?

And by HS fuujin being easier to use i can do K followup combo without a counter hit?

Good autoguard information! But I don't think I'm ready for it lol. I cant really read that far ahead unless its a dead obvious IAD or special move. I have a hard enough time instant blocking.

A few things I wasn't able to test by myself was if I can do shitsu close range and not get hit

Such as [5k 5s 5hs fuujin S followup for knockdown] then shitsu

Or is [5K, 5S, 2S, 2D into shitsu] better?

ah one more thing, whats Anjis best IAD into knockdown? or at least easiest :p to start with

So HS fuujin will combo because 5HS puts into forced crouching?

Yes.

Basically its fuujin loop with D followup until your close to corner then K followup ON?

Yeah but it's kind of a waste of meter to do that most of the time you can use only one D followup by doing 5K, 5S, 5HS, 236HS, D followup, 2366HS, K followup, 5K, 5S, On. Performing your second HS fuujin with 2366HS results in a short dash before fuujin which allows it to cover more distance and make the combo work in most cases even if you are really far from the corner. Doing 5P instead of 5K, 5S before On also helps in some cases where you still do not end like stuck to the corner for finishing.

And by HS fuujin being easier to use i can do K followup combo without a counter hit?

Yep if you do it quickly enough. It may be difficult for example to catch an opponent after a straight HS fuujin, K followup if for whatever reason you don't happen to CH with your fuujin because you have to react quickly. So in that case D followup is a safer option for hit confirming HS fuujin.

A few things I wasn't able to test by myself was if I can do shitsu close range and not get hit

If you're talking about having first hit of shitsu guarded, it's quite dependent on the character you are facing and the distance you are doing it at. If you're doing it like point blank on an already standing opponent you can be sure you will be punished before being able to block even by opponents with sucky reaction time. So it's up to you to experiment and see where you can use shitsu and then wait & see in pressure strings to relaunch pressure without risking punishement. Some moves like 2HS also have quite a lot of blockstun so are safer to use to relaunch pressure. But in the case of 2HS, this advantage is unfortunatly compensated by a strong pushback so you have to use the move kinda close.

Such as [5k 5s 5hs fuujin S followup for knockdown] then shitsu

Or is [5K, 5S, 2S, 2D into shitsu] better?

Personally I prefer the second one as I have the feeling that it gives a slightly better okizeme if you throw you shitsu properly after 2D (better advantage after first hit of shitsu) but the first one might do a little more damage.

ah one more thing, whats Anjis best IAD into knockdown? or at least easiest :p to start with

IAD jP, jP, jK, jS, land, 5S into 2D or 5HS, HS fuujin, etc... is good but really easily beaten by most anti airs in the game. Remember that Anji's air to ground game is weak anyway so don't abuse it. If for whatever reason you want to approach from the air with this closely watch your opponent movements, if for example he just whiffed a poke that as quite long recovery it might be your chance to get in safely.

Also for using autoguard and reading, it mainly depends on how well you know your opponent's play, but you still have some situations in which most players will react in the same way.

For example if you attempt an unblockable with a red shitsu, you can be 80% sure that if your opponent knows his shit he will burst before being hit by the unblockable. Also if your opponent is low on health and is facing a normal shitsu okizeme you can be pretty sure that they will burst or DAA out of it if they have enough tension. More generally when they have 50% tension or more to RC, or are simply low on life and feel that they have nothing to lose, people are more likely to use risky reversal attempts like DP and stuff.

With these examples you can already read some basic escaping attempts from your opponents and punish with autoguards or even other stuff (like just block, punish or well timed 6Ps to make DPs whiff and punish at the same time).

excellent stuff, thanks alot! I'm surprised you haven't written a book about Anji.

Autoguarding in my opinion looks like something you really have to study, like frame data and everything. Unless its dead obvious or they just iad>j.S I either hit it too quick and they block or I do it too late and get CH :arg:

I really love 3k after shitsu though

is it bad to K follow up after a blocked fuujin? I always get thrown first, even when I delay it

Pretty much of my questions have been answered, I am now ready to go!

Maybe I should move over to the discussion topic ;o

excellent stuff, thanks alot! I'm surprised you haven't written a book about Anji.

Autoguarding in my opinion looks like something you really have to study, like frame data and everything. Unless its dead obvious or they just iad>j.S I either hit it too quick and they block or I do it too late and get CH :arg:

I really love 3k after shitsu though

is it bad to K follow up after a blocked fuujin? I always get thrown first, even when I delay it

Pretty much of my questions have been answered, I am now ready to go!

Maybe I should move over to the discussion topic ;o

Guard Point Frames do need to be studied to make use of them. However, they only need to be studied for about 15-25 minutes ever. They don't need to be studied so much, but they definitely do need to be practiced. The more time you put into them, the better you will be with them.

Any of Fuujin's followups are bad when Fuujin is blocked, so you need to get creative. You do not have throw priority on K followup, so if your opponent reads you, expect to be thrown. I would use the other followups more so that the K followup is less expected, and don't forget about the often underused followup: Nothing. If Fuujin gets blocked, your opponent is pretty much waiting to see what you will do and punish you for it, but by doing nothing you usually avoid getting punished. You can use the Nothing followup to condition your opponent not to expect followups, and surprise them with S or D followups out of nowhere. Also, S followup has an FRC which when used can make that move a ton safer.

Fuujin is easy when it hits. Learning how to deal with a blocked Fuujin will get you good real fast.

Just what he said. In fact all of Anji's Fuujin options are unsafe when it's blocked and if you don't have 25% tension to FRC S followup and block or maybe FRC P followup and flee, all the followups are punishable on reaction, and the K one is particularly easy. Like Shining said, delaying followups can help confuse them. Doing nothing if they expect something to come next can also work, but you have to keep in mind that guarded fuujin even without followup is basically very unsafe. So if your opponent has decent reaction skills you should avoid having fuujin blocked as much as possible and if it ever happens you should try to save your ass with FRC, or if you don't have tension or are in risky mood by at least trying to confuse him with delaying and stuff. Payoff can be huge sometimes particularly with D followup, so it's up to you to see if it's worth the risk to try confusing your opponent after fuujin or not.

Talking about K followup the only way you can trick your opponent with it is if you do fuujin close enough to them and then go to K followup, you should land out of throw range, so you can punish their whiffed HS/6HS with a fast attack after landing. Smart opponents will however understand where you are landing and respond accordingly by walking a bit before throwing or going directly with a fast attack to beat yours instead of throwing.

Quick ones here:

1. Is it a viable strat when you got them in the corner to break pressure strings and go into 3P to bait a CH on Mashers?

Or should I simply throw another Butterfly/anticipate Jump?

Example: (Enemy in Corner) Butterfly -> 5KS -> Butterfly falling hits -> 5K -> 3P

2. After a Air combo on wall, I'm trying to end it with Orb after a j.D (See it all the time). I can't seem to nail it, so I've been just floating in the air waiting to be killed (LOL).

Strings I'm usually going for:

sj.KSHD Orb

sj.KSD Orb

sj.SPSD Orb

Not sure when to put in that H, or why Orb whiffs after j.D

Any thoughts would help.

3. I can't reliably do 3S Canceling yet, but I seem to be doing fine without by simply doing 2S -> 2D or S.Fuujin-S or 'something' to setup Butterfly game. How important is 3S Canceling really? Should I be putting that on my priority lists of things to learn or should I work on my horrible defence/zoning skills first? :D

1. I can't really think of any although if your opponent mashes a lot during blockstrings then they should eat 3P on CH. But there's really nothing you can do to provoke that. Still if you manage to get their guard bar flashing after a long pressure string then 3P will automatically result in a CH if it hits so keep that in mind.

2. Basically jKSHD orb is the way to go for this but you have to delay a bit between jK and jS then you will get the thing to hit on most characters. You have to do some variations depending on the character though.

- For lights + Anji except May :

*214P > S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD (delay) > Orb

*214K (wait a little) > K > S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD (delay) > Orb

- For mids and heavys except Johnny, Chipp, Aba, Ky, R-ky :

*214P > S > 6S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD (delay) > Orb

*214K (wait a little) > K > S > 6S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD (delay) > Orb

- For R-Ky (I think not 100% sure):

*214P > K > S > 6S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD (delay) > Orb

*214K (wait a little) > 2P > K > S > 6S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD (delay) > Orb

- Better ones for Slayer, Zappa and Faust :

*214P > S (JI) > 6S > HJ > jS > jP > jS > JC~jP > jS > jHS > jD > jHS

*214K (wait a little) > K > S > 6S > HJ > jS > jP > jS > JC~jP > jS > jHS > jD > jHS

-For Johnny :

*214P or 214K > S > 6S > HJ > jK > jS > jD > jHS

- For Ky, Chipp, May :

do something like HJ jKPPD (delay) orb > orb again as air combo. I don't remember the exact thing for each char, but since they have different weight and shape you don't pick them the same way after 214P or K (try S > 6S or K > S > 6S and see what works in which case) and also you might want to delay after jK or jD depending on the case to get that shit to work. Basically your first orb should hit on the last active frame, thus allowing you to hit a second one straight after that will give you knockdown. The normal orb combo works on Ky sometimes but whiffs very often, so that's the only way to knock him down consistently.

Also you can't knockdown ABA at all unless you use some RC or got like straight jD > orb.

3. 3S cancelling is useful to gain some more damage on combos but you can very well win without it. The only case where it is really a must have, is to cancel 2S to 5S. Since the classic 2S, 2D, fuujin S, D followup combo doesn't work on heavyweights you want to master this to get some good damage from Anji's only non prorating low that is not 2D. Also 5HS cancelled into 5HS is fun to jack up guard bar but kinda belongs to the realm of gimmick. ^^

Just wondering...

If I menage to get bar, it's a good idea to use it for continuing my areal combo to press my enemy in the corner?

Something like after stomp 214p>S>S>sj.KSD>RC>dash>KSD (orb?)

Oe peraphs I should keep it for some red butterfly or else?

Thx Dream for some insight, I'll just keep plugging away ~ until then On combos and j.D will be my ender ~

Just wondering...

If I menage to get bar, it's a good idea to use it for continuing my areal combo to press my enemy in the corner?

Something like after stomp 214p>S>S>sj.KSD>RC>dash>KSD (orb?)

Oe peraphs I should keep it for some red butterfly or else?

When given the choice of more damage over good Knockdown/Butterfly position, its always better to take the latter unless the extra damage will kill or the extra damage is significant enough. Most Air combos either 1. Push them far away so they can't punish you and reset to neutral 2. Push them into the corner already; so there is (almost) no need to waste 50% tension on that.

If you end with j.D, they're gonna be pushed back and with your starting combo as it is, you're probably close enough to the corner to get a good Red Butterfly setup. I'd take the UB setup for more damage resulting from it anyday.

Also, from P.Stomp, if you want more damage do a JI combo instead.

Example: 214P -> 5S(Install)S -> sj.SPS dj.KSD

It would net you the same damage if not more AND save you 50% for FB Rins and Red Butterflies and give you better positioning (Closer to corner).

A Win Win Win situation there.

I think you can actually score more damage on that air combo by making it j.KS, dj. PKSD. There might be a couple character you can just cut P out with.

Since j.P sends the proration into an undesirable zone, you can get more damage by trying to restrict it as much as possible (and leave it as late as you can).