Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chun

NORCAL INSTALL! [Main Information and Ranbat Update Thread]

I actually kinda like sjsu over eudemonia. Parking is better, and it seems like it has more room but that could just be me.

I value everyone's feedback in my decisions and plans.

The venue itself was not a problem. The big thing that is the concern here is the current lineup and estimated time frame of arrival and parking.

The biggest thing being the parking garages with their lock-in policies for the given time frame.

I would like to preface this by saying that all feedback I give is out of constructive criticism.

The biggest concern is not the lineup but the venue:

1) The very fact is proven when there is no place to hold the minor.

2) The parking garage will not be a problem as long as people research and find an open lot. If you get stuck inside the garage, then it's your fault.

It is probably safe to say festivities will take until AT LEAST midnight. This time usually means most parking garages in Berkeley will be doing heir closed-doors/Car Lock-IN in the general structures that are the most convenient for equipment bringers and setup people. In other words, THEY LOCK CARS OVER THE WEEKEND IN SOME OF THE NEARBY GARAGES.

Research is power. I left at 1AM in a parking garage without lock-in.

Also, the counter-argument could possibly be "Show up on time", and to start the tournaments earlier (And given time estimates at testing for Heartful Edition of NCI, that would have to be 10 AM, 12PM Tournament Start), but it is relatively unreasonable, because it is Berkeley. This cannot be easily predicted due to the guests coming (PNW and SoCal finding their way there) and the logistics of setting up equipment/establishing registrations and warm-up periods.

That point doesn't make sense, you can't control people coming in on time:

1) The best thing you can do is assume that people will be late and set the level of expectation to start the tournament ASAP (AKA DQ).

2) Just because it's Berkeley does not mean people won't show up. Once again the main priority should be finding any venue.

3) It doesn’t matter how little venues are lined up. You have to assure the community that you have the capability to host the event.

4) Even if you hosted smaller events, this does not mean you have the capability to host anything on a larger scale.

I am also concerned for the Money Match/Side gaming that will occur and the congestion that will be generated, because this is still core NCI tradition.

MMs and casuals happen regardless of whether or not you have a tournament;

- Due to time constraints, MMs should happen after the tournament.

- The NCI tradition is to have a monthly tournament contrary to SF4 hype. Everything else is secondary.

However, I'm not completely out of contacting them, as people have complaints at the fallback plan of 3 classrooms and Campus-provided table equipment as some sort of "Ghetto Venue" rather than being inexpensive and comfortable.

Hosting at a university/community college should be a last resort for this reason, 'most campuses close during spring break.'

- Who would want to host a larger scale tournament in a classroom based environment? Hosting a minor in this place will make you lose credibility as an organizer because you do not have the capability to occupy a real venue like Hotels, Restaurants, or Conference rooms.

But if you decide to do it at SJSU, then the best option is to use the NCI money to reserve a conference room.

Oh, and really late, but I've been saying this is March 26th since two months ago

We've been planning for BNCI since August, but that's not the issue. The reality is that there's no venue, no organization and no communication - you are not ready to host a minor.

You could always try and ask MGL to use the party room. If I remember what Jon said, they don't charge a venue fee and it would fit everyone. Tight or Fight this last saturday had like 100 people running in and out of the room. So at worst, it just gets cramped. More than enough parking for everyone too. Only issue is that food stuffs aren't immediately nearby but they aren't more than 10 minutes away.

But Eudamonia would be ok. I can stay at a friend's house up there and stay for free :3

i like eudemonia over sjsu, driving aside, the location is great, and the parking situation doesn't seem as bad as people seemed to say. i guess there are some lock in garages, but there's quite a few lots (one of which was literally on the opposite side of the building and cost $7 for 24 hour parking and it was HUGE AND EMPTY) that are open nearby. :\

Or as James just suggested, MGL. The only issue with MGL is the lack of internet.

You guys couldn't book DeVry again? I know some peeps up in the dorms who can reserve those 2 rooms for you.

no venue???

less than a month guys.......

EDIT:

so looking at the venues....

why isn't Sjsu the obvious choice

5 dollars for parking with no hassle

T1 connection

close food

late night fun....

the only downside is that its in a couple classrooms, from what i see.

is there anything else that is making it potentially bad? because it sounds really good right now....

IF ANYBODY GIVES ME LIP, I'LL MONEY MATCH YOU FOR YOUR TACKY JACKET.

THATS RIGHT DACIDBRO.

-huey25free

Just don't bet the Free4Life tshirt.

We only have so many.

Out of the possibilities at this point, SJSU seems best to me. Is booking a conference room at SJSU even possible?

Every time I see this thread, for whatever reason, I keep thinking it's North Carolina instead of Northern California. And I get all "Alright! I might go to this!" and then I read a bit and see west coast and figure "Okay this event is pretty hype to draw west coasters all the way over." and then I read some more and it's explained to be Northern California and I smack myself for being an idiot.

It happens every single time I see the thread title without fail.

Every time I see this thread, for whatever reason, I keep thinking it's North Carolina instead of Northern California. And I get all "Alright! I might go to this!" and then I read a bit and see west coast and figure "Okay this event is pretty hype to draw west coasters all the way over." and then I read some more and it's explained to be Northern California and I smack myself for being an idiot.

It happens every single time I see the thread title without fail.

Lol godlike

Okay so TX has its CS2, where's OURS?

:I:

Anyway it'll a long time since going to that part of Free California again.

Whats to expect from the Norcal Install?

We'll most likely won't get just because we're in California. :cry:

So, when's the next NCI again?

Wait. Western arcades can get CS2? I thought Nesica put a stop to that?

EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS POST, AND GIVE ME FEEDBACK. I value everyone's feedback in my decisions and plans.

Okay, taking some time to give my opinion. Eudomania is a good location, IMO. SJSU should only be used as a last result. What's wrong with Eudomania? The only thing you seem to be concerned with is them locking out some garages, but we did not have an issue with this at all last time we used Eudomania. The parking garages we used were just fine.

If you're worried about SoCal/PNW not showing up on time, that is their responsibility, not ours. They should be showing up a DAY BEFORE the event be it at someone's place nearby or a hotel. This will allow them ample time to show up to the event. It is not our, the tournament organizers, responsibility that people show up on time, especially out-of-towners.

In regards to time issues, we learned from the last NCI is that we should just finish up the tournaments and then do the exhibition stuff after the tournaments are over. Money matches, team tournaments, whatever, should all take place after the singles tournaments are done. If we're short on time, we can just cancel some exhibition events with minimal consequence. If we're REALLY concerned with time (doubtful), we may consider dropping a game from the tournament roster. AH3 might be the best bet here, as interest in the game, as far as I can tell, has dwindled greatly. Still, it may be too early to tell at this point. MB might have a similar number of entrants, but like I said before, it's doubtful we'll have time issues so long as we finish the singles tournaments FIRST before anything else.

In short: Eudomania is good. Parking shouldn't be an issue. Time shouldn't be an issue as long as we finish the singles tournaments first and foremost.

If we're REALLY concerned with time (doubtful), we may consider dropping a game from the tournament roster. AH3 might be the best bet here, as interest in the game, as far as I can tell, has dwindled greatly. Still, it may be too early to tell at this point. MB might have a similar number of entrants, but like I said before, it's doubtful we'll have time issues so long as we finish the singles tournaments FIRST before anything else.

let run a quick pre-reg deal to get an idea of the number of entrants for each game. Then we can make an educated call on what to run.

So I heard you guys are doing a thing the weekend of spring break. Is that true?

Reading is hard. :o

let run a quick pre-reg deal to get an idea of the number of entrants for each game. Then we can make an educated call on what to run.

This is a good idea, but a pre-reg would be needed very soon.

Letting you all know that your comments have been read and discussed, and are already being worked on. Expect some sort of solid plan by the end of next week.