Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chun

NORCAL INSTALL! [Main Information and Ranbat Update Thread]

Well last year we did have people travelling from out-of-state. If we are going to be concerned about space though, I don't think we should have it at Eudemonia again...

Since Super NCI is set for Aug 27, which is kind of far away, I think it'd be cool to have a gathering or two at Southtown to sharpen up and it may also possibly generate interest and raise our #s for Super NCI.

This sounds good. Either Southtown or Game Center would be fine. Both arcades are new and they could use the business and community support. Depending on which place we go to, I can spend some time playing some KoFXIII or Gundam vs Gundam on the side!

Gundam vs Gundam actually looks pretty hype.

Honnou, is that gathering still happening tonight?

Also, are we having all the standard tournies at SNCI (GG, MB, AH, BB), or are we adding/subtracting anything?

Gamecenter is the ideal solution for everything NCI needs.

Fiction: Gamecenter is an arcade, therefore, there can't be any space to host a tournament.

Fact: Gamecenter has a VIP casual room, console setup and an arcade floor; it can easily hold AND evenly distribute 80+ people at any given time. In addition to this, Myung can change all 6 of his console-only Viewlix cabs at the arcade floor to Blazblue or Arcana Heart 3.

Fiction: Gamecenter is in downtown San Mateo, therefore, parking must be terrible.

Fact: Gamecenter is in downtown San Mateo, but on the contrary it is one of the easiest places to park IF you compare it to downtown SF, Berkeley, downtown SJSU and Cupertino Square. There is a parking facility next to GC which you can park your car for a quarter per hour iirc. BUT if you are adamant about parking here, then I suggest you (1) park your car at the Caltrain station in San Jose (2) take Caltrain (3) walk to Gamecenter. For more information on parking, http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?nid=274.

Fiction: I hear there is no internet, therefore, we can't have streaming.

Fact: Myung is on a DSL line atm, but will get fast internet long before the NCI minor. If you have problems with this or want to know more about it, then I suggest you talk to Myung directly at the arcade.

Other Miscellaneous Benefits:

Good Food Next Door

In the event that you feel like you need to get out of the sausage fest, go to Donut Delight next door and get a cup of coffee or eat at Jeffery's gourmet burger joint across the street. You can get whatever the hell you want at any given time of the day before 10pm.

Centralized Flow of Traffic

Myung has his business setup where he can monitor both console and arcade setups at the same time; likewise the TO can oversee BOTH the console setup and arcade floor at the same time WHILE managing brackets. And in the arcade floor, there's a large flat screen monitor that can show what matches are taking place on the main setup.

Fiction: Gamecenter is in downtown San Mateo, therefore, parking must be terrible.

Fact: Gamecenter is in downtown San Mateo, but on the contrary it is one of the easiest places to park IF you compare it to downtown SF, Berkeley, downtown SJSU and Cupertino Square. There is a parking facility next to GC which you can park your car for a quarter per hour iirc. BUT if you are adamant about parking here, then I suggest you (1) park your car at the Caltrain station in San Jose (2) take Caltrain (3) walk to Gamecenter. For more information on parking, http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?nid=274.

Also, the nearby Caltrain station allows free parking after 6 pm. This also includes their underground lot, however that is only open until 2 am. The Caltrain station is literally a less than 5 minute walk from Gamecenter.

well formatted words

I think the most important info between Etrium and GameCenter is just:

Locational convenience for those participating, both work as both are close to large airports

Internet? Both apparently yes, but Etrium has proven in multiple tournaments already to have great internet

Space? Both yes

Cost efficiency? TBA

Support? Both seem strong, Etrium historically giving some free drinks and willing to help, Gamecenter probably a bit more technical

Importance of our support? Both could use it, as far as I can tell. They are both very helpful to the community.

Either way should be good, so it's probably not something to stress about largely.

Fact: Gamecenter is in downtown San Mateo, but on the contrary it is one of the easiest places to park IF you compare it to downtown SF, Berkeley, downtown SJSU and Cupertino Square.

Cupertino Square having bad parking??????? It makes SVGL look like Downtown SF :3 Vallco parking has NEVER been bad enough to not find parking. You just need to avoid the parking garages and park out by the Sears.

-snip-

Entry: Myung said he would administer payment for the console-only arcade cabs as an entry fee. This also means that you have unlimited access to the console only cabs. For information about Gamecenter's pricing guide and games, http://www.gamecenterarcade.com/ or keep a look out on their FB.

Support: Who needs free drinks when there's a pub across the street? :p Sodas are 75 cents per can and arcade cabs are pay-to-play contactless card-readers like SVGL. Myung is more than willing to work with the community so push for card discounts.

Cupertino Square having bad parking??????? It makes SVGL look like Downtown SF :3 Vallco parking has NEVER been bad enough to not find parking. You just need to avoid the parking garages and park out by the Sears.

Except the Cupertino Square parking garage trolls the hell out of you. San Mateo parking garages is actually a brilliant piece of art; you just travel on a one way road and park at one of the empty adjacent angle lots. If the garage is full, then the road will put you straight back into downtown where there are MORE angle parking lots to choose from.

That's all fine and the points you make are valid, but what I need is a size estimate, not a reason why to go to Gamecenter (I already am fully aware of why people like it, that's not what the issue is). I've already thought about Gamecenter for the past month, all I need is the questions I have answered regarding size and capability of the internet connection for live streaming. I need actual scale/sq. ft size estimates because if we do use that arcade, take into consideration that the general public that has never heard of NCI will be there for the regular business at Gamecenter on Saturday. Capacity may be an issue given the number of people participating from different areas and the subsequent publicity that will be prepared in advance.

Regardless, I want people to know everything is pretty under control, and the venue should sort out smoothly.

~Chun

gamecenter has gundam

that is all

word.

Gamecenter is 3x the size of southtown and 2x-3x the size of the svgl backroom.

From Ginseng.

I just got off the phone with Myung from Gamecenter, regarding the size restrictions, including the Fire Marshall max capacity limit of the arcade, and the outlook on a given Saturday. Gamecenter is definitely off the table given these facts alone; the number of people for NCI + a regular business day on a Saturday night will easily exceed the cap. However for future NCIs or the regular ranbats, Gamecenter sounds like a choice place to switch venues up, and I would be happy to support it.

~Chun

So Gamecenter is no good unless one (a) slims down the roster or (b) migrates to another venue? In virtue of this hotel lounges, business rooms, pubs and even classrooms won't be legit cause of Fire Marshall max capacity. I suggest one shouldn't be quick to dismiss this on the premise that it is a safety hazard, rather, assume a safety hazard will come and account for it before it happens. For example, change the roster times so they don't mesh all the FG communities together or slim the lineup. And even if you are overcapacity, make it so you have nothing but MB setups and rotate the lineup accordingly while giving people a forecast at when their respective tournament will start/end; reduce idle time and maximize efficiency.

To be honest, if we're looking to cut down the number of people at NCI for safety reasons, the option of cutting games is a viable option here.

So Gamecenter is no good unless one (a) slims down the roster or (b) migrates to another venue? In virtue of this hotel lounges, business rooms, pubs and even classrooms won't be legit cause of Fire Marshall max capacity.

SJSU Classrooms and NCI at DeVry were all considered with Fire Marshall regulations, I've never overlooked this.

This decision was made from the talk with the owner himself; you're asking NCI to risk the license of a relatively new and great arcade everyone enjoys, and we don't manage the general public capacity on a Saturday night. I've already talked with Myung over the phone personally and there will be no change, things are under control.

Cutting games has little to do with shaving the number of people to arrive; if we kept it at BBCS and GG even most people sign up for those tournaments anyway.

I really like Game Center. Myung is an awesome, friendly guy and we should do whatever we can to help support his arcade and he in turn would bend over backwards to make our event as easy and accessible as possible.

That being said, I cannot support Game Center for a major NCI. Simply, there isn't enough room for it and the internet connection for the stream (which is our main method of exposure for his arcade) is not up to par and will not be by the time this event rolls around. Also, I want everyone to keep in mind that I live about 5 minutes from the place and want nothing more than to hold it there.

I am a huge proponent of holding alternating ranbats there and would be happy to help organize anything and everything we do that would relate to GC. For this specific event, however, Etrium sounds like the place to go.

Gathering still going on tonight 8pm-whenever

Etrium

oh, that place. i heard it's ballin. let's go there.

gundam psp sidetourney; interest?

I wanted to go to Honnou's, but shit came up.

Today sucks. No Megaman characters for MvC3-2, I still suck at mobility on stick, it's fucking hot, and my internet is blinking.

I need to jump in a lake.

Does Super NCI HAVE to be on the 27th?? I'd really love to go but that day is だめ

It'd be somewhat difficult to reschedule it, but I'd have to move it to August 20th, and I don't know if that's enough advance notice for the other venues; I've also already told PNW and SoCal the 27th, so I'll need to re-consult with them since there's a few other people that can't make that day.

In short I'll see what the reception is to both days, but it's cutting it closer, and if there's no change, I can't move it from the 27th.

~Chun