Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chun

NORCAL INSTALL! [Main Information and Ranbat Update Thread]

I'm in agreement that we should wait until May for the next NCI.

I second this ^

Cali Crew, might make cameo appearance again....to invade your ramen shops mid tourney.

Screw a fullblown NCI, people need a break. Just make it a day 1 Skullgirls tourney for those interested. If you decide you don't wanna do it, I will cause theres no reason not to have one frankly.

Tbh that's really all I'm interested in. I guess for the sake of a normal NCI, it should wait til May. I just want to play SG with people :c

Uh, you mean Myung isn't helping with any of this? Not to point fingers, but it is kind of his arcade. You'd think he'd help promote an event there as much as he could.

qwerty, I posted this thing like a mofo on our Facebook page, every time with a link to the main NCI Facebook page. Short of handing out fliers and calling people, what more is there to do? And not only was I the venue, in charge of facilities, making sure everything was in order, and making sure there was staff, I ALSO am in charge of the setups, making sure they all work and have all the updates, as well as troubleshoot controller issues and even take over bracket duties once in a while. Have you ever heard of SVGL doing that for Tight or Fight? Did the Sheraton do that for NCR? Did Caesar's Palace do that for Evo? Hell, did they even ever MENTION any of those? As far as my part in this is concerned, I don't feel bad at all about how I performed. My function was a venue. I was and continue to be so much more than that.

Ah. I thought GameCenter's net was better than that, nowadays.

As far as needing to remove GvG to make space for the other games goes, we'll just have to see, I suppose. If it has to happen, it has to happen.

Our bandwidth is as good as it needs to be. I wasn't told there would be multiple streams until the day of the event. Had I been told, I could have bumped up my bandwidth for a month. However, the 80% case is that I run one stream, and so I buy a bandwidth plan concurrent with that. Would it be logical to anyone to double my monthly bandwidth costs for capacity I wouldn't need 10 months out of the year? Let me repeat. If there is a reason we need more bandwidth, I can get it provided I have enough time to prepare.

First of all, I'd like to say I enjoyed myself at the event. GGs to everyone I played, and it was great seeing SoCal and PNW again... even meeting some new people! Thanks to Chun for organizing the event and Myung for hosting us there. Big shoutouts to Raikanami and MoogleParade for helping stream. Also, thanks to Jared for the drinks on Sunday. :v:

The cabinet set ups. This is kind of the first time I heard a lot of complaints about the cabinets, but it seems like it needs to be addressed this time. They lag, apparently. PNW said it. SoCal said it too. Maybe NorCal is used to them them or something, but an issue is an issue if people come from out of time and complain about laggy set ups. If they lag and SNCI considers itself a major, those set ups needs to be replaced as tournament set ups. They could be used as casual set ups if they are going to be used at all. My only concern is that without those set ups, we may not have enough set ups brought in by volunteers to run everything smoothly.

Sorry for the huge, long post, but I feel like all of this needed to be brought up. TL;DR version below.

Thanks for the appreciation, SpiritJuice. This one didn't quite go according to plan, but it was still fun and I credit that in large part to the great work you, Jay, and Moogle did. So please don't take offense and allow me to pop off for just a moment here. I am only using your quote because it is the only one that mentioned this. This isn't aimed necessarily at you, SpiritJuice. This goes out to everyone who claims there's lag on the cabs. Here goes.

Do you all really think I don't know my own machines? Maybe you think I don't know what input lag is? Maybe you don't think I know how to measure it? Do you think I just jack off and play videogames all day long, rather than work there? The black cabinets have sub 1-frame input lag. Period. You think I would say that my TVs along the halls have lag and yet for some reason insist that my cabs don't? Is it so impossible for you to conceive that a monitor might not have input lag if it doesn't have an Asus logo stamped on its forehead?

Whatever the your malfunction may be, I'm fucking sick of it. So let's do this. I will wager your entire bank account balance that these monitors have less than a frame of lag. Here's exactly how we will do this test:

We will have a single computer that outputs hdmi signal go into the same model HDMI splitter that FinestKO and a million other streamers use (those better be lagless, or else maybe you felt some lag on the stream station, buttercup?). One of the outputs will go into an infallible Asus monitor. The other will go into the monitor of my cab. We will take 50 snapshots. Asus monitors are measured to have an average of 8ms input lag. Therefore the average difference between the Asus and my monitor should be 9 at the most to remain under a frame. You know what? Fuck it. Let's do 4, just to keep it interesting. If, on average, over 50 data points, my monitors are no more than 4ms off from the Asus, you are officially full of shit and I get your life's savings.

Now some of you maybe would call me a drama queen for doing this. Maybe you're a rational person who didn't even critique the performance of my monitors and think this is all a little overboard. If that's the case, kudos. This wasn't meant for you. But then again, maybe you're someone who blamed their losses on my equipment. Maybe instead of thinking that playing on 3 hours of sleep, not squaring yourself directly behind the controls, having a drink before the match, or maybe just sucking was the reason you lost, you thought it must have been the professional grade equipment I bought for a mint and have meticulously maintained in my store that was at fault. If you're one of those assholes, then this is precisely for you. I want you to risk everything you have. Because I risked everything I have opening my arcade. And for once in your life, I want the torrent of diarrhea that comes from your mouth to have an actual consequence for your life.

And before you start sniveling and backpedaling about how you only might have felt it, but wasn't quite sure, and how maybe it wasn't you, but you just heard from other people that it was lagging and thought that it must be the case, man the fuck up. Put your name behind an actual statement. And if you're too much of a pussy to do that, maybe you better shut your mouth before you decide to start slandering someone's craft and trade.

This bullshit has gone on long enough and needs to stop. So. Let's. Do. This.

/end rant

Other than that, yeah. We can definitely compress the schedule some more, and we will most certainly have to decide to cut some games. I have my own opinions on that (which I could certainly share), but that is a decision that properly belongs to the community of players. Next NCI let's aim for earlier registration, more concentrated running of the brackets, and we will see if those start netting us the improvements we want.

qwerty, I posted this thing like a mofo on our Facebook page, every time with a link to the main NCI Facebook page. Short of handing out fliers and calling people, what more is there to do? And not only was I the venue, in charge of facilities, making sure everything was in order, and making sure there was staff, I ALSO am in charge of the setups, making sure they all work and have all the updates, as well as troubleshoot controller issues and even take over bracket duties once in a while. Have you ever heard of SVGL doing that for Tight or Fight? Did the Sheraton do that for NCR? Did Caesar's Palace do that for Evo? Hell, did they even ever MENTION any of those? As far as my part in this is concerned, I don't feel bad at all about how I performed. My function was a venue. I was and continue to be so much more than that.

Our bandwidth is as good as it needs to be. I wasn't told there would be multiple streams until the day of the event. Had I been told, I could have bumped up my bandwidth for a month. However, the 80% case is that I run one stream, and so I buy a bandwidth plan concurrent with that. Would it be logical to anyone to double my monthly bandwidth costs for capacity I wouldn't need 10 months out of the year? Let me repeat. If there is a reason we need more bandwidth, I can get it provided I have enough time to prepare.

Thanks for the appreciation, SpiritJuice. This one didn't quite go according to plan, but it was still fun and I credit that in large part to the great work you, Jay, and Moogle did. So please don't take offense and allow me to pop off for just a moment here. I am only using your quote because it is the only one that mentioned this. This isn't aimed necessarily at you, SpiritJuice. This goes out to everyone who claims there's lag on the cabs. Here goes.

Do you all really think I don't know my own machines? Maybe you think I don't know what input lag is? Maybe you don't think I know how to measure it? Do you think I just jack off and play videogames all day long, rather than work there? The black cabinets have sub 1-frame input lag. Period. You think I would say that my TVs along the halls have lag and yet for some reason insist that my cabs don't? Is it so impossible for you to conceive that a monitor might not have input lag if it doesn't have an Asus logo stamped on its forehead?

Whatever the your malfunction may be, I'm fucking sick of it. So let's do this. I will wager your entire bank account balance that these monitors have less than a frame of lag. Here's exactly how we will do this test:

We will have a single computer that outputs hdmi signal go into the same model HDMI splitter that FinestKO and a million other streamers use (those better be lagless, or else maybe you felt some lag on the stream station, buttercup?). One of the outputs will go into an infallible Asus monitor. The other will go into the monitor of my cab. We will take 50 snapshots. Asus monitors are measured to have an average of 8ms input lag. Therefore the average difference between the Asus and my monitor should be 9 at the most to remain under a frame. You know what? Fuck it. Let's do 4, just to keep it interesting. If, on average, over 50 data points, my monitors are no more than 4ms off from the Asus, you are officially full of shit and I get your life's savings.

Now some of you maybe would call me a drama queen for doing this. Maybe you're a rational person who didn't even critique the performance of my monitors and think this is all a little overboard. If that's the case, kudos. This wasn't meant for you. But then again, maybe you're someone who blamed their losses on my equipment. Maybe instead of thinking that playing on 3 hours of sleep, not squaring yourself directly behind the controls, having a drink before the match, or maybe just sucking was the reason you lost, you thought it must have been the professional grade equipment I bought for a mint and have meticulously maintained in my store that was at fault. If you're one of those assholes, then this is precisely for you. I want you to risk everything you have. Because I risked everything I have opening my arcade. And for once in your life, I want the torrent of diarrhea that comes from your mouth to have an actual consequence for your life.

And before you start sniveling and backpedaling about how you only might have felt it, but wasn't quite sure, and how maybe it wasn't you, but you just heard from other people that it was lagging and thought that it must be the case, man the fuck up. Put your name behind an actual statement. And if you're too much of a pussy to do that, maybe you better shut your mouth before you decide to start slandering someone's craft and trade.

This bullshit has gone on long enough and needs to stop. So. Let's. Do. This.

/end rant

Other than that, yeah. We can definitely compress the schedule some more, and we will most certainly have to decide to cut some games. I have my own opinions on that (which I could certainly share), but that is a decision that properly belongs to the community of players. Next NCI let's aim for earlier registration, more concentrated running of the brackets, and we will see if those start netting us the improvements we want.

Officially the coolest venue-boss ever.

Also, playing Skullgirls before May NCI sounds like fun. Hopefully I won't be terrible at the game by the time the event happens :d

Real Talk

Good shit.

snip

-likes post-

People may want to consider the fact your depth perception is going to be different when switching to and from the stream set up from the arcade setups.

snip

Like I said, it was a statement I looked a bit too much into. I already knew how much you do on the venue side of things (as I originally said, I wasn't trying to call you out or anything), it just seemed weird at the time that Chun would mention what he and Coopa were doing for promotion and not you. Miscommunication happens. It wasn't meant to be personal and it doesn't seem like you took it that way. In retrospect, I should have contacted him privately from the start.

My experience with the cabs has been minimal, but I'm usually able to tell pretty quickly if a monitor lags by more than 2 frames. I don't remember having any issues playing KOF13 back when I played on New Year's.

My bank account has like 20 dollars in it, so that wouldn't be the worst wager ever, hahaha.

Too bad I don't feel any lag from the cabs. :(

felt a bit a lag when I first got there friday night...but granted I hadn't eaten anything all day and I was trembling with anticipation the whole day for the events that were going to happen that weekend. By Saturday, the monitors didn't even bother me and I just blamed my losses on me not playing to the best of my abilities.

btw an April 14th NCI would be great, I'd be down to go.

We can definitely compress the schedule some more, and we will most certainly have to decide to cut some games. I have my own opinions on that (which I could certainly share), but that is a decision that properly belongs to the community of players.

I am interested in hearing your opinion on this.

My bank account has like 20 dollars in it, so that wouldn't be the worst wager ever, hahaha.

Too bad I don't feel any lag from the cabs. :(

Same here Tari, I say we combine our funds for a double or nothing :P

Same here Tari, I say we combine our funds for a double or nothing :P

If I had a negative balance would that mean i get money if I lose?

Anyways, what's the word on at least a skull girls tourny on the 14th. I need to know to ask for work off.

If no one else decides to set something up, I'll do it. I'm also considering having weekly gatherings for it too but I have to wait till I see how school pans out for me to set that up.

If I had a negative balance would that mean i get money if I lose?

Anyways, what's the word on at least a skull girls tourny on the 14th. I need to know to ask for work off.

I was wondering that, myself. :D

We should all run our bank accounts deep into the red, and then challenge him.

Ok well due to the fact no one has said anything, I'm organizing the Skullgirls tourney on the 14th. I'll be making the thread tonight and will have info up as soon as possible so stay tuned :3

Ok well due to the fact no one has said anything, I'm organizing the Skullgirls tourney on the 14th. I'll be making the thread tonight and will have info up as soon as possible so stay tuned :3

Thanks for posting about it, I was about to update the website and post in this thread the recent updates, primarily SCV and Catherine-related information.

SCV is probably gone in May, Skullgirls taking the spot. Catherine will be less of a focus and have a minimum cap, but in general a side tournament (Subject to complete removal).

More updates later on.

I think it's a Skullgirls-only tournament, so times can be much later in the day on that Saturday. I'll update the facebook etc. The question is then, what time it should start. Thanks in advance for running it if I don't make it out that Saturday.

~Chun

I'll handle everything, you're not allowed to get involved cause you need a break Chun. I already talked to Myung and Coopa about it so we'll be good to go on the 14th :3 I'm making the thread now

Double Post, I don't give a fuck:

Heres the thread for the SkullGirls tourney The Canopy Carnage(credit to Dabbit for the name cause I suck at making names) So please read it, get informed and SHOW UP

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?13918-Canopy-Carnage!-NorCal-s-First-Skullgirls-Tournament!-GameCenter-San-Mateo-CA-April-14th

Fair warning, April 14th coincides with a charity tournament.

"Fight for Youth, fighting game fundraiser tourney for kids on April 14th. Hopefully, the @fgtvLive cast will be there!

"

~ShadyK

Figures I make a thread and then notice this the next morning, oh well. That weekend is already hectic as hell with PowerUp going on too.

Yeah, and I suppose most of the FGTV wouldn't come anyway. I was going to see if I could convince rog or anyone else, but I'll just try to get them on it later.