Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chun

NORCAL INSTALL! [Main Information and Ranbat Update Thread]

Alright, this tournament ran. I'm not going to say it ran well, but it ran. A big thanks to each event organizer(Willy, James, Magz, Tsubasa and Katana Dash if I missed anyone I am sorry I don't know all the organizers)our Chun for getting everything done. Its stressful but we got it done.

First things first. This should not have ran that late. I'm not so much worried about the time but the position we put Myung in. He needed to be closed by 2 a.m (city rule I believe) and we were in there till 2:30-2:45 . That is a very awkward position to put our venue owner in and it shows a big disrespect towards him and his venue that we would do this to him, after he has been more than willing to support our scene and act as a consistent venue for us. We left the place for him to clean up at 2:30 am. I'm sure he was tired as hell and didn't want to deal with that. Also listen to the staff at gamecenter. The female worker there was constantly asking people to clear out of the hallway, door and keep a path clear. Listen to our venues workers. We are guests there, we need to act professional. It was especially bad when people ignored her request and I had to yell at people over the megaphone to get out of the hall way and keep an open path. We are there to have fun but be respectful.

Second, we have to stop being nice. This tournament is about being a minor not about guests. You need to plan for a worst case scenario when traveling, since it is unfamiliar everyone should be aiming to be there an hour early, because you can play casuals and socialize. I know you want to be nice Chun, but this shit has to stop if you are going to be a TO. Waiting 3 -3 1/2 hours is just giving the middle finger to everyone who showed up on time. I for one am tired of arriving at the appropriate time and waiting 3 hours to the event to start every time. If people are going to be late they need to call someone, have them sign up and have them pay the appropriate fees. We can run there matches later but they still run the risk of being Dq'd. This is just how shit has to go down. IF they don't have the courtesy to show up on time, fuck them. Until we start enforcing this rule nothing will change. Its been in this cycle for a long time, and nothing is ever done about it. And every time its the same thing, post NCI, "omg we started late", "Yeah we are gonna start on time next time." I hate to bust balls here because you are a nice guy Chun, and I know we are all friends here. But we gotta put friendships asides when running an event. Everyone is equal.

Third This one isn't a complaint just what noticed. I feel like NCI is more BB focused than it should be. This is suppose to cover under ground fighting games. I'm in full agreement with Rod on this one. Our other games need more coverage. We have Rin recording matches, so people can see those whenever. I think it would be nice to toss a nod to the other games. Of course this at the discretion of those would run the stream equipment. It is there equipment they can stream what they want.

I support this message.

Whether you like it or not you need people to start handling HR and administrative duties; this includes making accounts receivable, 1099 self-employed contractors, and people who will listen and solve conflict resolution. If you really say that you're a non-profit organization, then I would like to see some cash flow statements and/or someone doing accounts receivable. The very fact that nobody knows where 'NCI funds' are being spent/invested is troubling and shady.

You could have asked nicely instead of being a jerk about it.

In any case, I was holding on to most of the money save for NCIs that I could not make. This past weekend I gave it to Chun, who is now in possession of the NCI money. I believe the plan was to put it in a bank account only for NCI funds, which will be in Chun's name or a joint account between the two of us. AFAIK, the funds have not been spent on anything since we have not had to tap into the funds for any kind of venue yet. Current plans is to spend the money on renting ball room of some sort for a future NCI.

I agree with Spirit Juice, I highly doubt Chun's gonna smoke a doobie with NCI funds, it's going towards a cause and I'm NOT afraid that Chun is going to misspend it.

But, as amazingly fun as this tournament was, logistics and organization wise, on everyone's part was very rickety.

I think the biggest factor is the scheduling. As Crosell said, we have to stop being nice. If someone is not there, they are NOT THERE, and we have to make a final statement, 5 minutes is too long. It doesn't matter that the tournament gets tons of Byes/DQ's but if that's what it takes then it should happen anyways. Also, the fact that there were crossed tournaments where people entered GG/MB/BB/Cath. makes it difficult to run everything efficiently because they are always held up in a bracket in another game. The USB cabinet/Joystick problem was unforseen, and it sucked, there wasn't anything we can do about it but Orion/Willy/Crosell did pretty well rounding everybody through the brackets around that BS (I'm guilty as charged lol pad 4 lyf :vbang: )

Coopa, we HAVE to get SD/HD transfers quickly and efficiently, the setup change from BB to GG was rediculous, I know that my setup being there made it slightly more confusing, but being able to transfer to a new setup must be more efficient. I think we said 30 second setup change to the stream monsters took instead about 20 minutes. On that note, FKO should get on a "Stream test", "Restart", "Setup Change" wallpaper so that streamers can visually see that the stream is going to go down.

On this entire note, we should take this entire tournament as a huge lesson, its a GREAT example of what we can definitely improve on so we can reduce the problems as much as possible next time. Take this as a learning experience, not something we fucked up on, especially since it was such a great tournament in the end.

I think if we just started at noon (two or three hours before we actually started) then we wouldn't have had any time issues with getting out on time. That's the main problem from what I've seen...

Even though this is from just a player's perspective, I kind of like having a bit of time to play casuals and explore the venue before the tournament starts. If we started on time but everyone got there early to do casuals and stuff, then I think there wouldn't be many issues with the time scheduling thingy. Plus if we started on time and DQ-ed tons of people I would actually have a shot at winning :3

The problem with starting at noon and having casuals earlier, as it were, was that registration ended up beginning pretty close to noon and lasted a very long time, and people weren't allowed into the arcade before they were registered, so casuals couldn't happen.

Though, to be fair, the pre-reg sheet was all messed up.

Im glad you aren't one of those guys who thinks its cool to try and pick fiona for the sake of trolling at least, that got old fast.

Pick a better character already :(

I don't know man, I've been playing Fiona since Arcana Heart 1. I guess I could try picking up Clarice or Natsume, but Fiona is so much fun. Maybe she'll be good next game*.

I agree with Spirit Juice, I highly doubt Chun's gonna smoke a doobie with NCI funds, it's going towards a cause and I'm NOT afraid that Chun is going to misspend it.

If Chun starts riding around on a brand new "moe"-ped, we'll know what's up.

Third This one isn't a complaint just what noticed. I feel like NCI is more BB focused than it should be. This is suppose to cover under ground fighting games. I'm in full agreement with Rod on this one. Our other games need more coverage. We have Rin recording matches, so people can see those whenever. I think it would be nice to toss a nod to the other games. Of course this at the discretion of those would run the stream equipment. It is there equipment they can stream what they want.

Don't know if it will do anything, but I was gonna talk to Chun about giving away some sad-life Vanillaware games from my stash at the next NCI. Nothing crazy, I was gonna donate and hopefully raffle off a copy of Odin Sphere to the GG bracket, GrimGrimoire to the MB bracket, and Muramasa: The Demon Blade to the AH bracket. I don't expect much out of that, just a little something to say thanks to the scene for being awesome and putting up with my scrubby ass, and maybe encourage a few more people to enter the lesser-entered tournies (BB, I love you guys but you've got all the support you need already).

Oh right something about shoutouts. Shit.

Um, shoutouts to me for going 0-2 in 4/5 events I entered. Supporting the scene ONLY financially.

Shoutouts to Catherine for taking up like 2.5 hours of time, and for more than quintupling our viewer count.

Shoutouts to Catherine for apparently wrecking AH when I decided to call it a night early on account of work in the morning.

Shoutouts to Millia for winning in one hit.

Shoutouts to SuperBettyWhite, the Magic Man. May or may not have existed.

Shoutouts to that black guy on the mike, way to never run out of oxygen...ever.

Shoutouts to Gamecenter for hosting, that place is excellent and I envy your Gwendolyn Statue like nobody else.

Shoutouts to Skullgirls solo characters for feeling absurdly strong.

Shoutouts to the air, way to smell like ass half the time.

Shoutouts to Chun for putting on another tournament, but we seriously need to get started earlier next time.

Shoutouts to waiting 2 hours in-between AH tourney matches, that was fucking pro. You guys need to not all get dinner at the same fucking time.

Shoutouts to Dacidbro for not making top 8 in BB, what the shit man.

Shoutouts to 2GB for jumping at least one rank on the tier list.

Shoutouts to only black people playing Platinum, it's like some kinda psycho world or something.

Shoutouts to Qwerty quitting GG for KoF13 apparently.

Shoutouts to Qwerty for (as far as I could tell) not playing a single match of KoF13 the whole time he was there. Also, see you back on GG in like 4 months.

That's all I got. Stay classy.

and maybe encourage a few more people to enter the lesser-entered tournies (BB, I love you guys but you've got all the support you need already).

If someone will sit down and let me play them and teach me tons of shit for like 3 hours straight, I would be more than happy to start entering GG and MB. I've had a great interest in learning both but I sadly have no means of playing either:v: No PS2 stick, no copy of either game and a barely working PS2 that died on me for 3 months the week after I bought GG and then it went bat shit crazy on me:v: Not to mention a severe lack of funds to buy ANY of that stuff(Sounds a bit crazy right? But sadly its all too true...I make Dacid look loaded).

I don't think anyone actually practices MB anymore, but Reiki.Kito hosts Melty biweekly(?) Melty sessions at Gamecenter/Southtown. For GG I know Honnou's always having sessions. That guy can teach you every character, no joke.

I make Dacid look loaded.

Now there's a line I never thought I'd read.

But in all seriousness, I'm in the same boat (not the making Dacid look loaded). While I have the consoles, I lack the games and a means to play them properly. In the case of AH3, I don't have a PS3 stick (still need to dual mod my 360 TE) and I haven't bought it off the PSN. GG and Melty, I lack the games and the proper equipment to actually play them properly. Seriously, I'm not going to try to play GG, Melty, 3S, ANY 2D fighter that isn't on an HD system on my HDTV. I don't have a CRT to play them on, so I can't really play them properly. Hell, the one long session of Guilty Gear I had during Fanime was the last time I even touched GG regardless of interest.

If I had the actual means to practice and put in the effort, I'd gladly enter the other tournaments and play seriously. But until that day, my entries in Arcana and Melty will pretty much remain Pot Donations. And in the end, I don't really mind that.

I don't think anyone actually practices MB anymore, but Reiki.Kito hosts Melty biweekly(?) Melty sessions at Gamecenter/Southtown. For GG I know Honnou's always having sessions. That guy can teach you every character, no joke.

does norcal practice anything anymore

If I had the actual means to practice and put in the effort, I'd gladly enter the other tournaments and play seriously. But until that day, my entries in Arcana and Melty will pretty much remain Pot Donations. And in the end, I don't really mind that.

you can try looking into the lcd setup jake and fred run with component to vga. what did you enter as for melty blood? i appreciate your donating to melty's pot. it lets me break even with tourny/venue fees when i would otherwise go broke and my livelihood would suffer

What I found when researching the component to vga converter option was something I did not like. Have to fork out up to $100 for something you can play on HDTV with component input. Not even sure if it would look like crap, but its more than what i do. I play it with composite on my HDTV. I dont even have the component cables

What a bunch of spoiled brats with their bb HD sprites >_>

I don't know man, I've been playing Fiona since Arcana Heart 1. I guess I could try picking up Clarice or Natsume, but Fiona is so much fun. Maybe she'll be good next game*.

i respect it, its just that fiona you have to play really really solid and smart for any results once people stop blocking your j.B.

I don't have a CRT to play them on, so I can't really play them properly.

hit up the goodwill, garage sales or even classified ads. niggas are even throwing them out on the street cause they dont want CRTs anymore, its not too hard to find one for cheap or even free

does norcal practice anything anymore

not anime

What I found when researching the component to vga converter option was something I did not like. Have to fork out up to $100 for something you can play on HDTV with component input. Not even sure if it would look like crap, but its more than what i do. I play it with composite on my HDTV. I dont even have the component cables

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Shield-Component-Adaptor-Computer/dp/B000I21Y9G/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1315514087&sr=8-17

its for LCDs that can process component signal via VGA (such as the dell ultrasharp 1500/1700 whatever it was). technically it's not a converter nor adapter as it doesn't do any actual signal processing, it's just a cable. and fyi jake's, fred's, and brett's setups look great.

Yeah so its just component output then. Never really tried the cables, but i dont think they would look awful as just a regular component Hookup. Get the cables if you want to hook to a monitor ok. I'll just keep using composite cuz im lazy and poor

I play BB on a shitty CRT so I get thrown off when I see it in HD :3

I'll yell at Rod and the other GG guys next NCI to teach me GG at least :3

I envy people that can do this. I practice mbaa everyday now and I am still trash. Takes me 5 hours to learn a combo, but thats just me. I'm glad their are players out there who can adapt and have good hand-eye coordination. Been buying arcade games on console since 2008

making new muscle memory can take a while. what's important is not grinding out everything at once but to take breaks.

Yeah so its just component output then. Never really tried the cables, but i dont think they would look awful as just a regular component Hookup. Get the cables if you want to hook to a monitor ok. I'll just keep using composite cuz im lazy and poor

doesn't composite to HDTV lag?

If someone will sit down and let me play them and teach me tons of shit for like 3 hours straight, I would be more than happy to start entering GG and MB. I've had a great interest in learning both but I sadly have no means of playing either:v: No PS2 stick, no copy of either game and a barely working PS2 that died on me for 3 months the week after I bought GG and then it went bat shit crazy on me:v: Not to mention a severe lack of funds to buy ANY of that stuff(Sounds a bit crazy right? But sadly its all too true...I make Dacid look loaded).

MB is:

1) Pick H-Tohno, mash buttons with him for 30 minutes before the NCI ranbat each month without knowing anything in particular.

2) Enter tourney

3) Troll everyone not named Yuji

If it works for me, it can work for you too!

GG is:

1) Pick Johnny

2) Practice mashing 2H and 6H before the tourney

3) Place the same as qwerty

Time for my incredibly long shoutouts post...

Shoutouts to Chun for helping PNW make it to NorCal, and being awesome in General

Shoutouts to Honnou, for letting me bum at your place again and buying my icecream lolz. EX hyper mode was great. Eventually i'll pay you back somehow haha.

Shoutouts to ShadowFiend, hyping me up all day.

Shoutouts to CopperDabbit for helping PNW make it to NorCal. (i heard c0r paid you back already lol)

Shoutouts to CopperDabbit again, for buying me a drink and hanging out :3

Shoutouts to James Xie for being gdlike.... and taking care of Noel for me (i didn't want to use ragna in tourney)

Shoutouts to sG, stay free motherfucker... you shoulda had more shots with me.

Shoutouts to Orion, Whiteboywilly, and Crosell, being hella fun to hang out with. I don't think trolling 2gb would've been as fun if you guys weren't there/and me drinking the whole time lol.

Shoutouts to Viper TE that won me the tourney.

Shoutouts to Blkmage whom i almost double perfected in Bang vs Tager, before he decides to counter pick with Noel (lolz).

Shoutouts to Zong_One for being a douchebag and not showing up to NCI (its only a 6 hour drive for you :( )

Shoutouts to PNW scene whom apparently all bet money on sG, Dsmoove, and CopperDabbit winning the tourney. STAY SAD MOTHERFUCKERS.

Shoutouts to WallJumpMan for not giving up and getting that runback. I'm so happy you won the second time. :)

Shoutouts to Dacidbro trying to stay relevant but failing (jk). I just want you to know that i went out of my way to learn Valkenhayn to make sure i don't have to play Smash bros (read: bang mirrors) with you again :3

Shoutouts to Ginseng for getting that GvG in with me (i'm sorry i'm a pad player on that game for now...)

Shoutouts to Tushar for being gdlike and helping me with my first fried chicken and waffles meal.

Shoutouts to Bobby for giving me 10 dollars and beating me in RPS 2 to 4.

Shoutouts to Donavan, good shit man your getting better. keep working hard.

Shoutouts to GGJ, keep training :P

Shoutouts to Coopa, Bang vs Tager is 6-4 in my books :3 too bad we didn't get a chance to hang out this time.

Shoutouts to Myung for being super awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will return.

Shoutouts to Rin for being awesome.

Shoutouts to 2GB Combo for staying free to my Ragna and Valkenhayn. MUAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Shoutouts to Me... for drinking Crown and Coke all day long (in a coke cola bottle), taking shots in the car, drinking with copper dabbit, winning all my matches 2-0, feeling like shit and then getting Fried Chicken and Waffles the next day. Also, Oregon Police is the real winner of the tourney, because the bodied me with a ticket that was about the same cost as my winnings (FML)

Shoutouts to C0R for using all the anti Dacidbro training and exposing the fuck out of him on stream.

Shoutouts to Dusty for not getting salty, and using the chance to netplay in real life for 7 hours :3

Shoutouts to SpiritJuice getting sad for not getting Chicken and Waffles :(

if i forgot anybody, i'm sorry.....

It was cool hanging out and i'll see you all at NWM3

Lol Huey that's histerical. Cause you know I'm better at "smash brothers" (read, bang mirrors) than you are ^_^

If you can beat me with Valk I'll be happy for you, cause whenever you lose to me I cringe a little.

And if I was trying to stay relevant I'd put time in. Lol.