Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chun

NORCAL INSTALL! [Main Information and Ranbat Update Thread]

Few quick things from my point of view,

1. Yes things need to run on time. I was asked to show up at noon or earlier for registration. Registration didn't end till 3 PM. I felt like leaving and getting a refund before 3PM because I was just sick of waiting.

2. Very confusing of when casuals were going on. Couldn't there be an announcement or something of what is going to be casuals and what isn't?

3. 2 day event: I really didn't want to show up on Sunday as I live relatively far to be driving back and forth every day and I did this for like 3 days straight. It's not even worth getting a hotel room for me.

As much as I had a lot of fun, if this keeps up I probably would not want to go anymore. Yes I do want to support P4U and BB don't get me wrong, but this really needs to get better.

Starting on time is a definite yes. We need more organization between bracket organizers - multiple people having matches in different games holding up brackets is always going to be a problem, but just plain giving each tournament organizer a solid schedule more than two days in advance is huge for letting people know what they need to do to start on time and stay on time.

I'll keep some of the answers short and concise:

Two-Day Event: At the beginning of SNCI I knew all of the concerns and problems that would entail, which would be housing and similarly the need to return from distances. From a TOs perspective, what should be the right situation? Consult the regularly occuring community first to see if this is a plausible format, and take a poll. I did just that on Facebook, and updated every possible notification outlet. The 2-Day event won out, so I used it as it helped the strain of running the tournaments. I had consulted both PNW and SoCal, and talked to local Norcal Install participants about their concerns. A couple weeks before the event after all travel arrangements have been made, I get called to talk about 2-Days being cancelled. As a single entity, what can I do to alter this after the deals have been made and the consoles in place? Thus 2-Days was used. I know the communities have some way of contacting me in real life and online, and if people from a certain community don't want to use every possible chance I create, I can't help you any further. It's also what the norcalinstall@gmail.com address is for on the website.

Time: With the previous engagements, I originally had plans for 12PM registration and starting at 12:30PM. As usual, people showed up significantly late. As people that showed up early waited for registration to start, they got hungry because they had skipped a meal to come and register. Normally for every other TO scene out there, people just get cut immediately if they don't register on time. However, when it is your TOs and more than half the community not present, I have little choice; would people have enjoyed it if half the 48 people for BB, about 18-20 registered and run in bracket? What about the people from out of area for the tournament to be run? The fact I even think to plan for this is a far cry of what "More Professional" tournaments do. In the mix of "showed early and grabbed eats" and "showed late, waiting for reg", with the original time out the window I'm forced to make active decisions. FKO was part of the equation because exposure of tournament play was most important, but it wasn't significant. Even if I have all the names and money down, how do I tell them when the tournament starts since everything is subject to change/calling brackets? Thus the later time was used so everyone could get synchronized for their games.

It feels like this issue needs to stop immediately, so next NCI there's a hard deadline, have people pay for you in advance if you're late. I can't have these sort of complaints anymore when the games roster is increasing.

NCI Current Line-Up: Catherine is more than likely going to be cut to nothing but side tournament status, if that at all. A minimum bracket cap will be enforced, and if it's not met, Catherine will be relegated to "Money Match After-Tourneys". I've spoken with the Soul Calibur V community in advance and the organizer tells me that the scene is thriving with or without us. So we may have that timeslot in the future; as a side note thanks to all the SCV people that come to our event, you guys are great with timing brackets and finishing them quickly, 2.5 hours later and your 14 man tournament is over. Guilty Gear will have its console port, and when that happens it will be the last stand. If there's no turnout for that game, I'll have to put it into a side tournament status, there's 2 new games coming and we have no time for 1 day to do it all.

That's the short story about the SNCI running this time. From what I read online it seems like no one really had a great time. I'll see what I can do for the next one.

---------------------------

tenkai-45i[xTF];1298030']I started an entire Facebook thread for discussing a new form of scheduling for the 2-day tournament. You were even talking in it. I and a few others reposted and requoted in this very thread about problems people had with your scheduling format. Don't tell me that you just happened to not see any of it.

I find it extremely difficult to communicate with the community that blames the event for scheduling issues but justifies a 9 person round robin that runs until midnight, which was also delayed by "celebratory ramen" after a Gundam x Gundam tournament a couple of months ago. This discussion also occurred way too close to the event date. I always get the opinion of Tournament Organizers first because their opinions matter in the organization of the event, then I throw the information on media outlets in hopes that people see the message, constantly advertise this and check with communities coming out of state, in hope that people post or care enough to. This is also why I've put Honnou in charge of your tournament bracket, because that ran smoothly on Sunday. The rest of the 80% of the community made no effort to give me any sort of feedback, and came to this thread to complain about input.

Also, to make this a bit more clear as you are now referencing my Facebook, Sean Wong from San Jose State University, I've seen you directly on campus before, and you know that I'm always in the same place, the Computer Science Club. Addressing me and pointing out faults from behind a computer is great, but you cannot tell me there's no way for you to contact me about feedback at the end of the day when the planning stage was 4 months ago when school was still in session, you knew the event was happening soon, and the information was presented as much as possible online.

I'd like to clarify that as far as I know, PNW had a great time anyways despite the tournament problems. I myself enjoyed casuals and hanging out with people that I haven't seen in a long time, however, the scheduling is consistently off and people are ALWAYS late and ALWAYS go out to eat. This has to stop, you have to actually do something, cut the bullshit. If you DQ'd me because I went off to dick around when I knew I had to show up, then that's my fault. You should treat everyone else the same way, out of town or not. As tournament entrants, we're obligated to abide by the tournament rules and schedule.

To add on to that note, my biggest problem was that Saturday night I could not get an answer for when BB finals were. That's not acceptable, I don't want to ask my TOs when finals are and have them say "we don't know yet" the night before finals. I need to sleep, I was called at 12 PM and asked where the hell I was and then I show up to the venue and finals don't start for 6 or so hours. That kind of disorganization shouldn't be happening for a tournament that calls itself a major.

I'd like to clarify that as far as I know, PNW had a great time anyways despite the tournament problems. I myself enjoyed casuals and hanging out with people that I haven't seen in a long time, however, the scheduling is consistently off and people are ALWAYS late and ALWAYS go out to eat. This has to stop, you have to actually do something, cut the bullshit. If you DQ'd me because I went off to dick around when I knew I had to show up, then that's my fault. You should treat everyone else the same way, out of town or not. As tournament entrants, we're obligated to abide by the tournament rules and schedule.

To add on to that note, my biggest problem was that Saturday night I could not get an answer for when BB finals were. That's not acceptable, I don't want to ask my TOs when finals are and have them say "we don't know yet" the night before finals. I need to sleep, I was called at 12 PM and asked where the hell I was and then I show up to the venue and finals don't start for 6 or so hours. That kind of disorganization shouldn't be happening for a tournament that calls itself a major.

First off I'd like to apologize for that, as you weren't the only one that didn't know the time at which BB Finals were occurring. However, due to some issues and last-minute scheduling inputs (Particularly that the stream should save BlazBlue for last rather than running it first, then getting Skullgirls and GvG time shifted from their late night position), the original schedule posted on the website was altered significantly, and the order of the games changed. I will ensure in the future that these time deadlines are immovable.

That's the short story about the SNCI running this time. From what I read online it seems like no one really had a great time. I'll see what I can do for the next one.

Woah woah, I don't think anyone is saying they didn't have an enjoyable time. I don't want people reading this thinking that it was a huge clusterfuck and everyone was unhappy (at the same time acknowledging the problems).

Take the good points everyone has about this and then discard the bad points. This is the first time there was an event this big for NCI, so its just a learning experience. It can only get better.

SpiritJuice brings up some good points about certain things, but it also presents some problems. To get this organized we need to have a wider variety of setups, at least a setup or two for casuals. Not everyone wants to stand around waiting for the tournament to be finished so that they can play. To solve this problem we need to have people more active in bringing setups, which means that people need to bring what they have and someone must actively seek out and push people to do so.

You go on and on about how you “consulted the community” but you seem to forget that you had little to no discussion on these forums right here. Can you honestly say that the poll you can on Facebook where about 20 people responded is the majority of people that go to the tournament? You decided to take a poll on Facebook when a majority of the people that come to this event read and post on Dustloop. Tenkai and Dakanya posted multiple times voicing their concerns about the 2 day event, the format of the tourney and you pretty much gave them a big fuck you by writing paragraphs of garbage that weren’t filled with any substance.

As for time, you can go ahead and blame people all you want but you can’t change the fact that you are the one who wants to take responsibility for NCI itself. It doesn’t matter if someone else was the reason why shit started late. It doesn’t matter if people are running off to eat and delaying the brackets by 2 whole hours. At the end of the day you’re the one who “ran” this event and you are responsible for everything. Man the fuck up and take responsibility, rather than directing the blame elsewhere.

As for trying to call out Tenkai, again you are trying to shift the blame onto someone else and trying to distract everyone from the issues at hand. There were plenty of things brought up in facebook and dustloop, and you just ignored everyone. It’s a pretty big slap in the face and an insult to everyone’s intelligence every single time you say that the community didn’t give you feedback.

TLDR, grow the fuck up. If you want to run this event, stop ignoring all feedback YOU DON’T PERSONALLY LIKE and start acting like a fucking adult.

If I were to put in one request, it would be that BB have 10 dollar entry per person at SNCI. The prize was so small :(

My one complaint was that Sunday sucked...

You go on and on about how you “consulted the community” but you seem to forget that you had little to no discussion on these forums right here. Can you honestly say that the poll you can on Facebook where about 20 people responded is the majority of people that go to the tournament? You decided to take a poll on Facebook when a majority of the people that come to this event read and post on Dustloop. Tenkai and Dakanya posted multiple times voicing their concerns about the 2 day event, the format of the tourney and you pretty much gave them a big fuck you by writing paragraphs of garbage that weren’t filled with any substance.

How can I be informed about your discussion when I haven't been notified at all; am I expected to constantly monitor every post in Norcal and NCI while also managing the other media outlets? We lost a lot of information in the thread because of the sheer numbers in the past of posts. I'm not constantly reading every single reply in this thread because I manage the other outlets to get data out. Also, claiming my paragraphs were garbage and have no substance automatically tells me what kind of opinion you hold for anything I type in regards to your reply, but I'll continue.

As for time, you can go ahead and blame people all you want but you can’t change the fact that you are the one who wants to take responsibility for NCI itself. It doesn’t matter if someone else was the reason why shit started late. It doesn’t matter if people are running off to eat and delaying the brackets by 2 whole hours. At the end of the day you’re the one who “ran” this event and you are responsible for everything. Man the fuck up and take responsibility, rather than directing the blame elsewhere.

Right, I accepted the responsibility of running the tournament bracket late, as I replied in the thread. I don't understand why you tell me to "Man the fuck up" when I have already explained the standpoint as a TO my decision made and my plans to change it.

As for trying to call out Tenkai, again you are trying to shift the blame onto someone else and trying to distract everyone from the issues at hand. There were plenty of things brought up in facebook and dustloop, and you just ignored everyone. It’s a pretty big slap in the face and an insult to everyone’s intelligence every single time you say that the community didn’t give you feedback.

At its core, NCI is still a community event, and all I have for you is the outlets I can manage to get the information out. Much of the community does nothing but complain about issues that they themselves are guilty of, or bring issues based off of my decisions (Feedback) which I then use to plan for the next event.

TLDR, grow the fuck up. If you want to run this event, stop ignoring all feedback YOU DON’T PERSONALLY LIKE and start acting like a fucking adult.

I'm going to be frank here. The one tournament that consistently does not meet time standards in the past and had the most issues for the past few months has been consistently Guilty-Gear/MB/Gundam community related, so it's very hard for me as TO to take what your community says seriously about scheduling and time as you are partially the cause of the delay, and similarly why I have a designated TO.

Also, I have not once insulted people directly in this thread or online. I try to answer as many questions as I can, but it's very hard to take you seriously as well when you clearly have no respect for who you're speaking with, despite the amount of time I consistently allocate for your event and try to feature as much as possible despite the past flaws. Frankly, whatever slander is thrown at me is baseless unless you've given me a legitimate contribution to the event or are actively participating in it.

That's all I can say about that.

You say you aren't reading every reply. You're running the fucking event, YOU NEED TO READ EVERY REPLY. Your gigantic walls of text, have no substance. This has nothing to do with my opinion with whatever you type, it's just a fact that none of the posts you write have any substance. You say you want to be clear and concise, but a mini essay where you go off on tangents about shit that doesn't have anything to do with discussions at hand is far from what YOU THINK you're talking about.

Again, you aren't taking responsibility as the tournament organizer. It doesn't matter what other people do, when you're in charge and other people fuck up, ITS YOUR FAULT. That's just the way to world works, grow the fuck up.

You say you aren't reading every reply. You're running the fucking event, YOU NEED TO READ EVERY REPLY. Your gigantic walls of text, have no substance. This has nothing to do with my opinion with whatever you type, it's just a fact that none of the posts you write have any substance. You say you want to be clear and concise, but a mini essay where you go off on tangents about shit that doesn't have anything to do with discussions at hand is far from what YOU THINK you're talking about.

Again, you aren't taking responsibility as the tournament organizer. It doesn't matter what other people do, when you're in charge and other people fuck up, ITS YOUR FAULT. That's just the way to world works, grow the fuck up.

So... do you read yourself type or are you just getting your kicks insulting me? I post here and take time to post just so you can understand how the decisions I've made and the responsibilities I've accepted. Again, you give me no notion that you understand why I posted the previous text.

Yes, I am completely aware of what I type. You are just too much of a child to accept the truth and want to write it off as insults.

No, I read you clearly, I don't read posts that often because of the other 3 things I manage and ask with. So yes, that is my fault to be had, because in the past the pages piled too quickly and my information also was missed. For example when asked "When is the next NCI?", while I already had the date on the first page of the thread and posted.

You don't seem to have a clear grasp of reality. You don't answer any of the things you don't want to talk about and you bring up shit that doesn't pertain to the issue at hand. Get that through your fucking skull.

Till you do that I'm done with you.

You don't seem to have a clear grasp of reality. You don't answer any of the things you don't want to talk about and you bring up shit that doesn't pertain to the issue at hand. Get that through your fucking skull.

Till you do that I'm done with you.

Sorry for... answering what you're asking with what I know?

Thank you, come again!

so i guess i should voice my opinion since its wanted despite it being a little silly just bear with me...

so i had written a lot of sentimental shit but i realized there is no point all that needs to be said is that i think Snci was an amazing weekend and i think SNCI should stay a 2 day event while the regular nci's should be a one day event

if the people cared enough about it not being a 2 day event they should've used the gay ass little facebook poll that was posted here on dustloop, fuck i made a facebook just so i could vote on that poll why didn't you? and i went out of my way to convince other people to vote for the 2 day event. honestly i think the poll should be done again if we still have issues because there are issues with the current 2day tournament and i hope it gets fixed

didn't pnw want a 2 day event?

SCV having a low turnout is really sad to me because i was thinking that nci was turning away from the we only hold the underground games thing and would become more official but if they don't wanna show up then w/e we don't have to have their game

kof13: is their some kind of rivalry between STA and GC why is their no cross breeds excpet dbz?

we should start on time and DQ people. if they screwed around then it sucks to be them i don't think anyone will have a problem with this except maybe wolfkrone...but if youre good enough then just run it back or pick viper :D

and i hope that nci becomes a more official event

Scott's post pretty much sums it all up. GG can be ran as a side tournament pretty easily, since it doesn't take much time to run brackets unless people are off playing other games. Make NCI one day like it's usually been, and then have a dedicated Gundam tournament on Sunday (isn't that what GC did during the NEXT days, anyway?).

And Chun, there were more than a few people (myself included) telling you the schedule was a bad idea. It really didn't make sense to drag out SC and KOF for two days (though I guess SC finished on Saturday?), among other things. In general, your communication with the community needs to improve. Whatever you post on Facebook, you should post here as well. Not only do most people check this thread more than their FB, but I'm sure there's also at least some people that aren't regulars yet and don't know many people here, but would like to attend NCI anyways. If they aren't friends with you on FB or don't follow NCI on FB, how are they supposed to know what's going on? You didn't even paste the event info in the first post. Not to sound like part of the leech gang, but come on.

However, that's not to say that the community itself isn't a large part of the problem. Why WC thinks it's appropriate to have long ass dinner breaks and then run off to karaoke and then play mahjong in the middle of a tournament is beyond me. If you guys pulled this kind of shit at EVO, you know the kind of repercussions it'd have. Showing up on Norcal Standard Time is an issue of its own, but once you're at the venue you shouldn't all run off once Top 8 is frozen. Either TO's need to start being dicks and DQ'ing people or ya'll need to manage your time better.

My advice to you Chun, as someone that ran tournaments at one point in time, is to start everything as early as you can. Start signups early and make it clear when they end. Get the brackets made immediately after signups are over, then make sure the setups are in place before you start running. Those were my three rules of thumb when I ran GG tournaments back in the day. As simple as they sound, they can prevent a lot of headache. Where you dropped the ball was with signups, which makes the other two a lot harder to fulfill.

qwerty and Solex: The bottom line is I'm stretched way too thin to manage all of these things myself only. 'm going to take these flaws and try to get them fixed by having more people doing more tasks, but again, it's strictly voluntary because no one gets paid in NCI.

I'm frankly the only person updating NCI information everywhere, with Coopa making a flyer and updating the NCI facebook as we go. SNCI made me realize I can't continue to do all the work myself, so as a major for future planning I'll hopefully have some sort of staff that can help me out.

Also, I have not once insulted people directly in this thread or online. I try to answer as many questions as I can, but it's very hard to take you seriously as well when you clearly have no respect for who you're speaking with, despite the amount of time I consistently allocate for your event and try to feature as much as possible despite the past flaws.

That's all I can say about that.

Communication before the event is key, and there is clearly an ENORMOUS gap here. The name-calling needs to stop right now, from both sides.

As qwerty said, the key is in communicating the schedule and sticking to it. Sign-ups end at noon? Then end sign-ups at noon and make the brackets, regardless of who's shown up or hasn't shown up. Post the schedule in advance. Post it where everyone can and will see it (think of the other large FG tourneys and how many places they post their schedule, not just on their own sites or Facebook pages), and then stick to it regardless of what you have to do to make it work.

it's strictly voluntary because no one gets paid in NCI.

Additional edit: How many people do you think get paid for other fighting game tournaments? Not more than two or three people per tourney usually (organizer, venue, some kind of vendor). They're built on a trustworthy group of volunteers - volunteers who know how to act professionally and decisively when they need to. Now that you know you need this volunteer structure... build one. There are plenty of people who want to make NCI the best event possible and either have offered or will offer to help.

o shit i didn't mean to be going against you i was trying to say im with you lol (im really bad at typing) and id gladly be a member of your staff if its needed though id much rather learn to kick everyones ass in video games

just ask and ill comply

I'm frankly the only person updating NCI information everywhere, with Coopa making a flyer and updating the NCI facebook as we go. SNCI made me realize I can't continue to do all the work myself, so as a major for future planning I'll hopefully have some sort of staff that can help me out.

Uh, you mean Myung isn't helping with any of this? Not to point fingers, but it is kind of his arcade. You'd think he'd help promote an event there as much as he could.

if the people cared enough about it not being a 2 day event they should've used the gay ass little facebook poll that was posted here on dustloop, fuck i made a facebook just so i could vote on that poll why didn't you?

Thats not the point. The point is that if the community talks on the forum then put the poll on the forum. Nobody saw that damn poll thats why there was like 20 votes.

oooo thats right i forgot dustloop could do that. so what youre saying is that the link got lost in the 400 page thread we have insted if it was the dustloop poll if would always be at the top of each page...ok i see

oooo thats right i forgot dustloop could do that. so what youre saying is that the link got lost in the 400 page thread we have insted if it was the dustloop poll if would always be at the top of each page...ok i see

Before you try to correct me know your shit. poll stays on top of every page of the thread. gg.

I can just as easily have made a poll using a generic website. Also, since people wanted to look only at this thread for the information I put the link to the facebook because I can't edit a poll into the top.

Frankly, if you have a million issues with what I'm doing, send them to norcalinstall@gmail.com, or write on my user wall, so I can manage them. Looks like everyone's coming out of the woodwork to weigh in on this one about events in general to tell me how much I'm screwing up.

It gets stressful trying to manage every person that didn't mention or talk to me about these problems in person for the past few months all at once, so please do that if you don't want to post on this thread.